• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:48
CEST 19:48
KST 02:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12475 users

[Game] Osu! - Page 308

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 306 307 308 309 310 370 Next
Bobbias
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada1373 Posts
March 14 2015 18:25 GMT
#6141
On March 13 2015 07:37 Yorbon wrote:
I don't understand why bobbias isn't a god at standard.


lmao I'd probably be a lot better if I just played more often. I have like no muscle memory though, and I can only read AR8-AR9 comfortably right now.
maru~
Profile Joined February 2013
2345 Posts
March 14 2015 18:41 GMT
#6142
On March 14 2015 16:54 Cyro wrote:
That time freeze map is awful IMO for a spaced stream map

FD4D >>> Blue Zenith >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> time freeze

the streams dont fit in with music at all.. fd4d puts a circle on every sound, while this map just has streams which happen to be the same bpm as the music

Turn off the hitsounds and watch it on auto.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-15 09:24:34
March 15 2015 00:34 GMT
#6143
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/2889037 :D

lmao I'd probably be a lot better if I just played more often. I have like no muscle memory though, and I can only read AR8-AR9 comfortably right now.


I'm a lot more uncomfortable on ar10 for most map styles than i am for lower AR's after playing for years, just because i didn't focus on being able to dance with 2 fingers at ar10

Turn off the hitsounds and watch it on auto.


I don't really feel it at all, maybe that's just me though

Cheatreal just got ranked!! It's 226pp for 95% on Extra diff (od8), 291 for SS


It's unranked atm, it will probably take ~8-20 days to be ranked and through qualified. I just SS'd the hardest part (last kiai time) aside from my finger locked up on the last stream and dropped half of it, but that's a silly mistake. If it gets ranked, i think i could make that my #1 score, because i seem comfortable getting ~98% acc on od8 and my top score is 246 right now
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
maru~
Profile Joined February 2013
2345 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-16 00:55:31
March 16 2015 00:51 GMT
#6144


I think he could actually fc this if he puts in some grinding.
Bobbias
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada1373 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-16 06:55:15
March 16 2015 06:54 GMT
#6145
I'm probably honestly more comfortable at AR10 than AR7. Once I was able to play AR8 I essentially quit plaything anything AR7 or below entirely. I've NEVER liked that AR is something mappers enforce on players. In my mind AR is not a core gameplay mechanic of osu (in the sense that the core gameplay mechanics are timing and aim), and therefore should be available for players to tweak to whatever they feel most comfortable with.

To clarify: what I mean is that a note has a specific location in space and time that it appears, and your job is to move your cursor to that spot and press a button as accurately as possible at the specific time. Anything else is secondary to this.

This is of course not reflective of the reality of things, and likely never will be, but I'm well aware of that. I just don't like how things are.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-16 12:35:35
March 16 2015 07:44 GMT
#6146
I think it's very silly especially since the map ranking dudes are regularly putting strong suggestions to raise or lower AR on a map difficulty

Reimu is just really damn comfortable at 240bpm, i was gonna post that myself o_O

For vid above, i think ~1:56 - 2:02 is mapped quite well. I don't understand why somebody would want to map 1/4 beat deathstreams to that music though. Some of the same parts of music have vastly different mapping on that map

Also, i can play ar7 completely fine - but if you take a map that plays best at ar9-10 and make it ar7, then that's a problem.

It's kinda the same if you take a map that plays best at ar7-8 and make it ar10

i talked about this with valar before, a big problem with low AR maps (like ar6, 7) is that they're just bad, or way too "easy". Easy in the sense of there are very few circles, not that they're intuitive or require a low amount of skill. When a map is made of not particularly good quality that has circles for some beats/patterns but not for others, it can get very confusing. A lot of the good maps don't even start until ar8, but ar9 has been more of the standard for a long time - so going to maps natively mapped at lower AR's than that doesn't have very good results and can be especially confusing to a new player, who has to learn to read.

The game doesn't even start until ar8 IMO
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Bobbias
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada1373 Posts
March 16 2015 19:04 GMT
#6147
I totally agree with you on a lot of that. The vast majority of easier maps are just flat out bad no matter what AR they're on.

In mania, I would say the game really begins somewhere around 4 star stuff (very roughly, since this is where LN usage vs chord usage begins to make a big difference in star rating vs true difficulty).

It's maybe less pronounced in mania right now because we do have many mappers who know what they're doing making easier diffs. In mania everyone seems to be trying to make easier diffs easy on the player and avoid any potentially awkward patterns. I feel like awkward patterns should be used at all levels of skill, just used very judiciously at low skill levels. I have a feeling the same thing happens in standard.
Yorbon
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands4272 Posts
March 16 2015 21:17 GMT
#6148
I have a fundamentally different approach to osu. The core 'mechanic' to me is reading. Everything else is technical stuff, less interesting. Osu gets interesting the moment the mapper has another conception of a map's rythm than you have. Are you conscious enough of what's on the screen to adjust for this difference? What's also interesting, is processing correctly while playing. Can you correctly assess the patterns you don't have to play yet, while you correctly play the circles you do have to at that moment? These questions becomes obviously more interesting the lower the ar is compared to note intensity.
I'm not interested in one's ability to mimic a metronome nor in one's muscle memory. These are technical tools to translate your reading into playing. And that ability to read is what I'd like to see in one's play.

Osu starts at higher ar indeed.
Bobbias
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada1373 Posts
March 17 2015 05:26 GMT
#6149
To me, reading is still an important skill. I would say that reading is the next element beside the 'core' mechanics I mentioned before. Doesn't matter how fast you can alternate, or how well you can snap to a note if you can't make sense of what's on screen. However, I feel like reading is one of those skills where players can have radically different approaches, and should be allowed to use whatever works best for them. Some players work well with low AR because they are bad at reacting to fast changing stuff, whereas other players are particularly good at reacting to what's happening at very high ARs. Low AR gives the player a larger view of the mapper's patterns, where higher AR reduces this metaphorical window to a small slit. The exact same tradeoff shows up in mania, but there's never been any controversy about people being able to control what scroll speed they use.
vaL4r
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany240 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-17 05:35:29
March 17 2015 05:32 GMT
#6150
On March 17 2015 06:17 Yorbon wrote:
Osu gets interesting the moment the mapper has another conception of a map's rythm than you have.

adsfhghjk
You need to play starcraft with a light heart. If you play with a heavy heart, you can't win. -NaDa
Tenox
Profile Joined January 2007
Sweden128 Posts
March 17 2015 06:49 GMT
#6151
@Bobbias I've kind of been thinking the same thing Iately, and I agree with you.

If you look at Stepmania you could set your own scrolling rate of the arrows(equivalent to AR). This felt alot nicer because you could raise or lower the scrolling rate depending on where you felt comfortable atm. As skill goes up in Stepmania so does typically the need for raising the scrolling rate due to being easier to read once you can keep up with it.

The difference here is you didn't necessarily have to, but in Osu you kind of do as you get better and better and want to be able to play harder and harder maps due to this being a mappers choice not a players choice.

To me this becomes more of an issue to then get accustomed to the new AR more so than actually being able to trying to see how fast you are. I know that last statement sounds alittle iffy but I'm not sure how to better explain it so I'll just leave it there, but take it with a grain of salt. :D

Please check out my gallery at: 10ox.deviantart.com
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-17 09:03:06
March 17 2015 09:00 GMT
#6152
I think generally on osu, something artificially messing up your performance is quite bad. I hate trying to get high acc on od9-10 with hidden, for example - and generally if a map is ar9 but plays much easier at 9.5-10, i'd mod it there. I much prefer the mania system where you can just increase/decrease AR as you go and it's no big deal.

Also it's worth a mention that some of the more common and more often undiscovered hacks are people increasing the AR. It's invisible in a replay, because the player input is exactly the same
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Yorbon
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands4272 Posts
March 17 2015 12:37 GMT
#6153
I've never disagreed with ar being adjustable. I just think setting ar to the easiest value is boring in the long run.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
March 17 2015 16:36 GMT
#6154
I think playing with reading skill (low density vs high density) is a lot of fun, but there's also fun in tearing away the barriers that hold you back from abusing aim, speed etc at other times.
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
March 19 2015 21:42 GMT
#6155
Unranking maps because there's too much of a gap between some of the difficulties - that's a new one
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Bobbias
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada1373 Posts
March 19 2015 23:21 GMT
#6156
Not for mania (that was the most bullshit rule ever, though now people have backtracked and claim it isn't a rule, despite it having been used as one earlier)
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10569 Posts
March 19 2015 23:57 GMT
#6157
ideh know that the map team does these days. seems like they want to remove every difficult map on the list :/ first toumei elegy, then cheatreal then freeze. at least freeze is back up now but i want cheatreal and toumei to come back too.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
March 20 2015 13:20 GMT
#6158
Cheatreal is going back up, ar10 od8.5

i'm kinda glad it's od8.5 - if it was 9+ it would be kinda annoying IMO, it's simply not neccesary for note-locking reasons on "only" 200bpm - but on od8 with the style of the map, it wasn't particularly challenging to close that gap from 95 to 98% acc
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
vaL4r
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany240 Posts
March 20 2015 14:44 GMT
#6159
"You number people with your number things" -N***
You need to play starcraft with a light heart. If you play with a heavy heart, you can't win. -NaDa
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
March 20 2015 15:09 GMT
#6160
we live in a beautiful world of numbers
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Prev 1 306 307 308 309 310 370 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1006
TKL 371
IndyStarCraft 255
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1006
ByuN 404
TKL 371
IndyStarCraft 255
Reynor 167
BRAT_OK 36
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 50637
Calm 2712
Shuttle 436
actioN 160
firebathero 120
Mini 62
Mong 38
soO 21
Rock 18
Aegong 15
[ Show more ]
Pusan 15
scan(afreeca) 14
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
Gorgc10975
Counter-Strike
fl0m5862
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby2175
Liquid`Hasu392
MindelVK13
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1974
FrodaN1252
Beastyqt742
B2W.Neo702
Mlord518
olofmeister479
Khaldor468
KnowMe314
crisheroes176
Livibee167
ToD80
Mew2King76
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick387
BasetradeTV167
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 35
• Adnapsc2 13
• Reevou 4
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach72
• Azhi_Dahaki19
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV497
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1597
Other Games
• imaqtpie677
• Shiphtur655
• tFFMrPink 8
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 12m
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 12m
OSC
5h 12m
Replay Cast
5h 12m
OSC
18h 12m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 17h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.