• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:31
CEST 13:31
KST 20:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7038 users

Metagaming in EVE - Page 6

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 78 Next
Dariush
Profile Joined April 2007
Romania330 Posts
February 19 2009 22:55 GMT
#101
omg the nostalgia of fighting BoB

I quit playing EVE about 4 years ago, I played for 2 years almost 15 hours a day...I had to quit to live IRL

I'm happy me and my RL friends gave many BoBs a very hard time in small skirmishes, we couldn't gather many fighters from the carebear alliance which we were in (Phoenix Alliance at that time), but in small skirmishes we very good, I remember the smack talks after the battles

And I miss the fleet battles with them when I could gather a large number of people, being carebear was very hard to coordinate all of them, but we held them for 5-6 months, after which most people didn't want to fight anymore.

I miss ransoming people, I miss the adrenaline rushes, I miss the politics.

EVE was and probably is the most dynamic MMO I've seen, you really could choose what you want to do in that game, and the community which had an average age of 25+ was awesome.

You didn't have to have a certain level to be able to fight, in fleet battles even small frigates were VERY useful, just as zealots are useful in late game Starcraft.

I also played WoW for 1 year, and I regret it, but I don't regret playing EVE (which I spent time 10 times more than WoW), that's the difference between the 2 games for me. I miss EVE.
Rho_
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States971 Posts
February 19 2009 23:03 GMT
#102
Is there an interview where it's Mittani and Dianbolic? The one linked as that is just Mittani on Eve Radio from what I can tell.
Spike
Profile Joined October 2003
United States1392 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-19 23:05:01
February 19 2009 23:04 GMT
#103
On February 20 2009 08:03 Rho_ wrote:
Is there an interview where it's Mittani and Dianbolic? The one linked as that is just Mittani on Eve Radio from what I can tell.


the interviews were separate, they weren't both on together afaik.
CDRdude
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States5625 Posts
February 19 2009 23:13 GMT
#104
I guess I linked the wrong one. I know they were on together, because I listened to it a week ago (or so). I'll try to find the correct one, and then correct myself.
Force staff is the best item in the game.
VorcePA
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States1102 Posts
February 19 2009 23:28 GMT
#105
Anyone who is still playing EvE and knows about all of this going on, can you answer my question (from page 2)?

- Is BRUCE (Brutally Clever Empire) still around?
- Have they taken part in these events?
Shitposting
DeathByMonkeys
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States742 Posts
February 19 2009 23:29 GMT
#106
A lot of people seemed to have played Lineage 2... that game was the shit. I loved it to death, but eventually quit after 2 years of no-lifeing it because it killed my social life. Hearing all this stuff about MMO's makes me miss it a little bit... but I did manage to squeeze $250 out of my account in the end.
Spike
Profile Joined October 2003
United States1392 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-19 23:35:27
February 19 2009 23:32 GMT
#107
On February 20 2009 08:28 VorcePA wrote:
Anyone who is still playing EvE and knows about all of this going on, can you answer my question (from page 2)?

- Is BRUCE (Brutally Clever Empire) still around?
- Have they taken part in these events?


Bruce was destroyed by PL+SOT. Memory's a little fuzzy, might just be PL.
whatusername
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Canada1181 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-19 23:56:40
February 19 2009 23:56 GMT
#108
lol i used to be in goonswarm

edit: the actual game is really boring btw
im gay
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
February 19 2009 23:57 GMT
#109
On February 20 2009 08:56 whatusername wrote:
lol i used to be in goonswarm

edit: the actual game is really boring btw


Probably because you were in goonswarm
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
Catyoul *
Profile Joined April 2004
France2377 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-20 00:01:49
February 19 2009 23:58 GMT
#110
I love reading EvE stories, be it battles, spying or scamming reports. But the game is honestly boring to play. It's a beautiful, gigantic simulation, the alliance play is interesting, but, to quote the original post :
For a boring game to play, it really does make a fascinating spectator sport.

Also, if you start to play late, too bad for you, there's pretty much nothing you can do to close the gap in skill points with people who've been playing for years : your skill points (similar to experience in other MMOs) increase only with real time passing, independently of your in-game actions. While it's an amazing mechanism to avoid losing time on the game (you just launch the training of a new skill and then you can log off and do something elese), and I really like it for that, it also means you can't catch up with older players, and there's nothing you can do about it. That really limits the roles you can have while you're still low in skill points, or your effectiveness, compared to people whose only edge is having played longer than you.

Oh, and did I mention it's boring :p Well, not all the game is boring of course. But the PvE is really boring to hell (even more repetitive than WoW lol), and if you're not in a big alliance, PvP is roaming for hours to finally have a 20s fight. The parts I liked most about the game are :
- the economics simulation and the great freedom it gives. It's awesome.
- fitting ships (that is, choosing the exact equipment you're going to use for your ship). It's really one of the more interesting if not the most interesting part of the game.
CDRdude
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States5625 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-20 00:22:13
February 20 2009 00:06 GMT
#111
Okay, I think I finally found the interview where Dianabolic and The Mittani were on EVE radio at the same time. Sadly, the only place I found it is in the middle of a two-hour long show discussion various aspects of the BoB buisness. Link here. The joint interview itself starts at about 1:00:00 (one hour) in. If I happen to run across the excerpted version, I'll try to remember to link it. I'll go update the OP now. Edit: Everything should be all updated.
Force staff is the best item in the game.
Rho_
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States971 Posts
February 20 2009 00:22 GMT
#112
On February 20 2009 09:06 CDRdude wrote:
Okay, I think I finally found the interview where Dianabolic and The Mittani were on EVE radio at the same time. Sadly, the only place I found it is in the middle of a two-hour long show discussion various aspects of the BoB buisness. Link here. The joint interview itself starts at about 1:00:00 (one hour) in. If I happen to run across the excerpted version, I'll try to remember to link it. I'll go update the OP now.


Thanks dude. And yeah, while reading all this stuff is fun, EVE does sound really boring to play. If all you do in combat is click on a dude and tell your ship to fire, I don't really see anything compelling besides all of the drama (which you can thoroughly enjoy without playing). Min/maxing is cool too, but that's a part of most games. Sure, the degree varies, but you don't have to spend years getting to that part in most other games.
CDRdude
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States5625 Posts
February 20 2009 00:43 GMT
#113
From what it sounds like, combat isn't really meant to be quite as much fun at the 1v1 level. The epic stuff starts when there are entire fleets. I'm pretty sure that some of the attraction of playing is the idea of being a part of something epic. I played WoW for a while, and I always loved the idea of PvP raids and such. Individual PvP was entertaining there, but I absolutely love group PvP. Makes me wish I had a somethingawful account so I could try out eve with goonswarm, but it's a probably a good thing not to get involved in an MMO.
Force staff is the best item in the game.
JWD
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States12607 Posts
February 20 2009 01:25 GMT
#114
I'm about 3/4 through the OP right now, but I wanted to comment before I finished because I already have a lot to say.

First off, screw all the guys that complained about its length. If you don't want to read it, then just go to another topic. No need to be angry just because the topic at hand can't be explained in 50 words or less.

Second, I was aware of EVE online before reading this article but had no idea how complex its politics are or how large its community is. I'm impressed.

Third, Ender's Game anyone? This whole saga - the power plays, the leadership struggles, obviously the epic battles in outer space - reminds me of this series in particular. Except, in EVE online power seems to be related more to how long you've been playing the game rather than merit (at least that's the impression I get based on Shreik's noob-ness...how did he get control of so many huge ships considering what a poor pilot he appears to be?).

I'm tempted to start playing this game, but I already know it would be a MASSIVE time sink that would kill my real life activity. I think it's safe to say that there are lots of EVE players who are living more in the world of EVE than the real world - and the integration of game mechanics which enable this ("reinforcing" to let people sleep or work for a few hours, no more) is pretty interesting to me.

Another thing that strikes me is how similar this game seems to actual warfare - the importance of morale, scouting, the chaos and opportunism. Seems that the Goons' strategy of propaganda over skill (massive armies over a few skilled pilots) is the "new wave" of warfare and BoB can't hack it anymore. The concept of the "fail cascade" is also fascinating - just as soldiers desert the battlefield when they start to lose, so do players desert their computers.
✌
thopol
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Japan4560 Posts
February 20 2009 01:56 GMT
#115
Wow. I read about half and will finish up some time when I'm feeling really bored.

It kinda makes me want to play despite the plethora of reasons not to. Pretty wild.
KurtistheTurtle
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States1966 Posts
February 20 2009 02:10 GMT
#116
Wow, nice work. I played eve for a while and lived in low-sec...but I was in the NE part of the galaxy, so I rarely encountered Kenzoku or Goonswarm. I remember seen the names, though.
“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears."
HamerD
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom1922 Posts
February 20 2009 02:28 GMT
#117
My friend axel played this game for ages with only 3 hours of sleep a day and was one of the 3 bigwigs of a huge alliance of raiders and backstabbers in the beginning of eve. He was telling me all about how he built the empire up only to have it come crashing down when at the zenith of his power.

He still has an account with billions of whatever the currency. Enough to buy a lot of motherships apparently.
"Oh no, we've drawn Judge Schneider" "Is that bad?" "Well, he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog" "You did?" "Yeah...if you replace the word *kinda* with *repeatedly*...and the word *dog* with son"
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-20 02:31:47
February 20 2009 02:29 GMT
#118
On February 20 2009 10:25 JWD wrote:

Third, Ender's Game anyone? This whole saga - the power plays, the leadership struggles, obviously the epic battles in outer space - reminds me of this series in particular. Except, in EVE online power seems to be related more to how long you've been playing the game rather than merit (at least that's the impression I get based on Shreik's noob-ness...how did he get control of so many huge ships considering what a poor pilot he appears to be?).



Ender's game is pretty much the reason I picked this game up in the first place. In general people who have been around longer have a better grasp of discipline and game mechanics. This is obviously not true all the time but it's a general thing.

Shrike was Sir Molle's alt (which I thought was common knowledge.. apparently not? o.o). Sir Molle was the main FleetC and pretty much the leader of the entirety of the BoB alliance. He has two characters with MASSIVE amounts of skill points and he at least used to be one of the best FC's in the game. He was a very risk oriented commander that had no qualms about jumping into a heavily outnumbered gate camps and still coming out on top.

He does tend to be rather shall we say... risky with his ships. That did stop once he acquired his first Avatar (titan).. until he lost it. After that he pretty much lost his edge in just about ever way that counts.
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
rei
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States3594 Posts
February 20 2009 02:35 GMT
#119
wow i want to play this game now, anyone with me? teamliquid invades eve?
GET OUT OF MY BASE CHILL
thopol
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Japan4560 Posts
February 20 2009 02:39 GMT
#120
On February 20 2009 11:35 rei wrote:
wow i want to play this game now, anyone with me? teamliquid invades eve?

If we join up with the goon side I'm down. We can spam enough to fit in right?
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 78 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 4
Leta vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 16399
StarCastTV_EN395
Liquipedia
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs PercivalLIVE!
herO vs Krystianer
CranKy Ducklings108
CranKy Ducklings SOOP20
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko272
ProTech106
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 11208
Jaedong 6007
EffOrt 2706
BeSt 1224
actioN 846
Killer 711
Soma 582
ZerO 508
Pusan 498
Horang2 406
[ Show more ]
Zeus 240
Stork 221
Rush 202
JYJ 154
Barracks 135
Mong 61
ToSsGirL 51
HiyA 42
Bale 30
Sexy 28
Shinee 27
Terrorterran 26
Sharp 23
sorry 23
JulyZerg 9
Sacsri 8
Noble 8
Dota 2
Gorgc4775
Dendi441
XaKoH 352
League of Legends
Reynor57
Counter-Strike
kRYSTAL_34
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft2364
crisheroes2250
Other Games
gofns60913
singsing1476
olofmeister1259
byalli560
Livibee202
OGKoka 95
ArmadaUGS43
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream356
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 245
StarCraft 2
WardiTV219
Other Games
BasetradeTV185
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1767
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
12h 29m
Kung Fu Cup
23h 29m
The PondCast
1d 22h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.