• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:08
CEST 05:08
KST 12:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8761 users

Open Letter to Team Liquid on Overwatch

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
SirPinky
Profile Joined February 2011
United States525 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-10 04:01:12
April 10 2016 03:51 GMT
#1
I read your post about a new team sponsored by TL for the new Blizzard game, Overwatch.

Anytime there is sponsorship within e-sports I am excited since it promotes fiscal growth within the community; however, I wonder, isn’t this premature? The game has been in the beta stages for several months. Characters are not completely balanced and/or developed, there is still a lack of understanding of the roles, and the game is still evolving. I know Team Liquid wants to make its mark early, but isn’t part of the camaraderie and exhilaration of a new game working to be the best? How can Team Liquid make its roster on a new game based off previous FPS games? That would assume all FPS games are created equal and follow the same formula. This is not the case.

Gamers like to believe that they, either one person or many, can rise to the top of the ladder (or any ranking system) with hard work, skill and perseverance. In my opinion, making a team before the game is even released adds a certain futility to the hope gamers can someday be part of a well-respected team, like Team Liquid. It narrows the ability for future, better, gamers to work their way to the top echelon of gameplay.

I will not be one of those great players, as my hands are too crippled from playing Broodwar/SC, in the early 2000s, in my college days. I also enjoyed the bunny hopping before it was patched. But I never saw “pro” teams created before it was even out. It kind of defeats the purpose of trying to be “the best” when you have people retained on contract before we even see the game.

Edit: Admin, I didn't see an Overwatch forum. But since this is generally an Sc2 community, I put it here.

How much better to get wisdom than gold; to get insight rather than silver!
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-10 03:57:58
April 10 2016 03:52 GMT
#2
Before it is even playable to the 99% of players (and not as in the bottom 99% of skill.. 99% of players, regardless of how good they are)

There's no way to actually play the game for these last few months outside of:

* being extremely lucky
* personally knowing a blizzard employee
* several dishonest and bannable offenses including paying money for access to somebody elses battle.net account
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
SirPinky
Profile Joined February 2011
United States525 Posts
April 10 2016 04:04 GMT
#3
On April 10 2016 12:52 Cyro wrote:
Before it is even playable to the 99% of players (and not as in the bottom 99% of skill.. 99% of players, regardless of how good they are)

There's no way to actually play the game for these last few months outside of:

* being extremely lucky
* personally knowing a blizzard employee
* several dishonest and bannable offenses including paying money for access to somebody elses battle.net account


Agreed. Beta was EXTREMELY tight. I don't follow anyone on the roster; I could care less about their "dirt" or their previous experience - this is a NEW game. But when I see someone is practicing "everyday". Really? Who is that against?
How much better to get wisdom than gold; to get insight rather than silver!
weikor
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Austria580 Posts
April 10 2016 04:39 GMT
#4
So what? I dont get the point - youre saying by forming a team before the beta ends this gives players less chance to rise to the top?

Thats now how pro teams work, they change their rosters constantly. My guess is they just want a constant team to practice with.

Last of all, you dont need to worry -

Overwatch is going to stay fairly small - like Heroes of the storm compared to dota. Its simply not as fun to watch / play as a shooter like cs go.
Emnjay808
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States10666 Posts
April 10 2016 04:40 GMT
#5
The player pool is incredibly tiny in beta right now. I constantly face again the same people during late nights. It's actually quite nice cause a good amount of them are big twitch steamers or youtubers. You also recognize players that are good without outside influence. It's a really neat community, everyone recognizes each other and they're all really nice and friendly. I'm gonna miss that when it's no longer closed beta.
Skol
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-10 05:20:03
April 10 2016 05:11 GMT
#6
The player pool is incredibly tiny in beta right now. I constantly face again the same people during late nights. It's actually quite nice cause a good amount of them are big twitch steamers or youtubers.


It's almost like some hundreds to maybe a thousand or so people have been cherry picked out to market the game
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
hexhaven
Profile Joined July 2014
Finland965 Posts
April 10 2016 09:01 GMT
#7
On April 10 2016 13:39 weikor wrote:
Overwatch is going to stay fairly small - like Heroes of the storm compared to dota. Its simply not as fun to watch / play as a shooter like cs go.


I think there's tons of potential, actually. The game is fun, it looks good, and the gameplay is varied and interesting. It's certainly very different from CS, which dates back to 1999 (hell, even CS owes a lot to AQ2 and Navy Seals). More modern in many ways.

Of course, there's always the chance that it'll just fizzle out, but I think that there's still room for a TF2-esque shooter. CS fills another, very different niche, and does it very well.

WriterI shoot events. | http://www.jussi.co/esports
shin ken
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Germany614 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-10 17:44:49
April 10 2016 17:42 GMT
#8
On April 10 2016 14:11 Cyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
The player pool is incredibly tiny in beta right now. I constantly face again the same people during late nights. It's actually quite nice cause a good amount of them are big twitch steamers or youtubers.


It's almost like some hundreds to maybe a thousand or so people have been cherry picked out to market the game


I think it only seems like that, because they play very regularly and take it as a job.

The ratio of regular lucky dudes getting in the beta and them also playing the shit out of it is probably fairly small.

For example, I have a friend who got into beta in the first wave, played the game for some hours, really hated the experience and never played the game again. That's one Overwatch beta acc being dormant since the first week of beta.

That may be an extreme example, but because most players with accounts probably play the Overwatch beta only occasionally (which is the reality for most gamers with limited time and interest in multiple games), you end up seeing the hardcore Overwatch beta players quite regularly.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-10 23:08:39
April 10 2016 23:05 GMT
#9
Take the bull by the horns, I say. Never say no to a possibly foolish investment in a game which's fate we have no way to determine. It's obvious to me that explosive growth at the release of a game can only be a good thing. If it works, the game is better for everybody. If it fails, the game was going to fail anyway. A team of "known quantities" doesn't hinder the ability of anyone to reach the competitive scene. Rather, it gives them someone to beat, whereas in many games, you just get good and no one gives a shit because there's nothing to gain from being good.

Pour money in it, I say. It's not mine.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Liquid`Nazgul
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
22427 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-10 23:17:33
April 10 2016 23:16 GMT
#10
On April 10 2016 12:51 SirPinky wrote:
I read your post about a new team sponsored by TL for the new Blizzard game, Overwatch.

Anytime there is sponsorship within e-sports I am excited since it promotes fiscal growth within the community; however, I wonder, isn’t this premature? The game has been in the beta stages for several months. Characters are not completely balanced and/or developed, there is still a lack of understanding of the roles, and the game is still evolving. I know Team Liquid wants to make its mark early, but isn’t part of the camaraderie and exhilaration of a new game working to be the best? How can Team Liquid make its roster on a new game based off previous FPS games? That would assume all FPS games are created equal and follow the same formula. This is not the case.

From the newspost:

Understand your reasoning and I'm not sure if it came across like that in my OP, but we aren't picking these guys up just because they were good in other games. We definitely believe in their skillset and potential specifically in Overwatch, which as you say is not at all guaranteed just from their backgrounds. There are certain things you can get from it though such as dedication, personality, and mechanics. These things play a role but are not the defining factor on who to work with.

Gamers like to believe that they, either one person or many, can rise to the top of the ladder (or any ranking system) with hard work, skill and perseverance. In my opinion, making a team before the game is even released adds a certain futility to the hope gamers can someday be part of a well-respected team, like Team Liquid. It narrows the ability for future, better, gamers to work their way to the top echelon of gameplay.

I will not be one of those great players, as my hands are too crippled from playing Broodwar/SC, in the early 2000s, in my college days. I also enjoyed the bunny hopping before it was patched. But I never saw “pro” teams created before it was even out. It kind of defeats the purpose of trying to be “the best” when you have people retained on contract before we even see the game.
Edit: Admin, I didn't see an Overwatch forum. But since this is generally an Sc2 community, I put it here.

As for the second part; I understand some may feel this is early. In this case I can't agree with the reasoning given. The idea that it would be demotivating that Liquid has already picked up a roster is completely counterintuitive to how esports actually works. Seeing pros at work pursuing their passion as a career is hugely motivating for new talent. I don't believe for a second that this would somehow overall be demotivating to the general population of ambitious players.
Administrator
shin ken
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Germany614 Posts
April 11 2016 04:15 GMT
#11
On April 11 2016 08:05 Djzapz wrote:
Take the bull by the horns, I say. Never say no to a possibly foolish investment in a game which's fate we have no way to determine. It's obvious to me that explosive growth at the release of a game can only be a good thing. If it works, the game is better for everybody. If it fails, the game was going to fail anyway. A team of "known quantities" doesn't hinder the ability of anyone to reach the competitive scene. Rather, it gives them someone to beat, whereas in many games, you just get good and no one gives a shit because there's nothing to gain from being good.

Pour money in it, I say. It's not mine.


Yep. Even a one in 100 chance to have "a NiP" (a team of highly skilled pros from other games, that dominate for a year or so just because they were early) is enough to justify this investment. It's a really easy gamble.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
April 11 2016 05:25 GMT
#12
@Nazgul any comment on the picking up of teams when 99% of people including competitors can't play Overwatch yet?
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-11 05:57:14
April 11 2016 05:54 GMT
#13
On April 10 2016 13:04 SirPinky wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2016 12:52 Cyro wrote:
Before it is even playable to the 99% of players (and not as in the bottom 99% of skill.. 99% of players, regardless of how good they are)

There's no way to actually play the game for these last few months outside of:

* being extremely lucky
* personally knowing a blizzard employee
* several dishonest and bannable offenses including paying money for access to somebody elses battle.net account


Agreed. Beta was EXTREMELY tight. I don't follow anyone on the roster; I could care less about their "dirt" or their previous experience - this is a NEW game. But when I see someone is practicing "everyday". Really? Who is that against?

Think of it this way: pro gamers play lots of other games with each other, besides their primary game. When I was in CAL-i, my team still played WoW, L2, TF2 and CoD together. Of course our main game was CS, but the teamwork and communication skills carried over from game to game and we simply enjoyed playing with each other so it worked out. We actually played CoD 1 kind of competitively even though we had zero experience with the game when it came out.

I see no reason that a pro team couldn't form/develop around a current game, and then transition to an upcoming game together. Especially in a game like Overwatch, which is especially teamwork focused even for an FPS game.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
WonnaPlay
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands912 Posts
April 11 2016 08:09 GMT
#14
On April 11 2016 14:54 Jibba wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2016 13:04 SirPinky wrote:
On April 10 2016 12:52 Cyro wrote:
Before it is even playable to the 99% of players (and not as in the bottom 99% of skill.. 99% of players, regardless of how good they are)

There's no way to actually play the game for these last few months outside of:

* being extremely lucky
* personally knowing a blizzard employee
* several dishonest and bannable offenses including paying money for access to somebody elses battle.net account


Agreed. Beta was EXTREMELY tight. I don't follow anyone on the roster; I could care less about their "dirt" or their previous experience - this is a NEW game. But when I see someone is practicing "everyday". Really? Who is that against?

Think of it this way: pro gamers play lots of other games with each other, besides their primary game. When I was in CAL-i, my team still played WoW, L2, TF2 and CoD together. Of course our main game was CS, but the teamwork and communication skills carried over from game to game and we simply enjoyed playing with each other so it worked out. We actually played CoD 1 kind of competitively even though we had zero experience with the game when it came out.

I see no reason that a pro team couldn't form/develop around a current game, and then transition to an upcoming game together. Especially in a game like Overwatch, which is especially teamwork focused even for an FPS game.


I agree, most games I've played I ended up being in the top X% due to the competitive spirit and drive. Friends of me don't even include me in internal rankings because "it's useless to name the top 1, since its mostly you".

I've played Ra2, Cnc3,LotR:BFME(1&2), Cnc:Renegade, CS:S, SC2 (and even a bit of HoMM3), all at either a top level or subtop.
Back in 2012 when there was a game called "ShootMania" it got hyped up in Alpha aswell. Most players in Alpha were either top players from FPS's or other games and you could easily spot the difference in skill and game know-how between the 'first-timers' and the e-sport guru's.
I'm pretty certain that both Shootmania and Overwatch are similar games in skill. You can carry over your teamwork, FPS skills, reaction time, hand-eye coordination over to this new game pretty easily and just stand out of the rest.

I'm currently in the BETA but due to a minor concussion haven't even been able to play it, yet I'm pretty certain that I'm also able to pick this up much quicker than alot of my gamer-friends or most gamers in general.

I'm sorry if this comes across as very arrogant, and maybe it indeed is. However, it doesn't change the fact that there is something called talent in e-sports, which I'm confident that the people at Team Liquid are very good at to spot it.
Don't forget that people like Nazgul used to be on the top of the food-chain in gaming aswell, and I wouldn't be surprised if people like him are also excelling in other games next to RTS.
NukeD
Profile Joined October 2010
Croatia1612 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-11 10:10:24
April 11 2016 10:09 GMT
#15
I don't understand why this bothers OP so much that he feels obligated to write an "open letter". Like, who cares?
sorry for dem one liners
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22630 Posts
April 11 2016 10:20 GMT
#16
On April 11 2016 19:09 NukeD wrote:
I don't understand why this bothers OP so much that he feels obligated to write an "open letter". Like, who cares?

He is secretly really really good, if only he got to play the Beta.
Now that there is a TL team his powers have been stolen and he will be average at best, yet in his mind he could have risen to the top and been the new Flash if only pro teams did not form while a game was in Beta.

It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
April 11 2016 11:19 GMT
#17
@ Gorsameth

why do you feel the need to attack people over showing concern?
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Heyoka
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Katowice25012 Posts
April 11 2016 11:25 GMT
#18
This is echoing what Naz said but I'd argue that having top level organizations like Liquid is more motivating, because it sets a very clear goal for players to work towards if they want to be on a prestigious team. The goal of seeing what a large team is doing in the game is far more inspiring as a straight forward path for exactly waht you want to do and where you want to be, rather than trying to form your own team with the idea of "finding the right organization" at a later date. Both are awesome, and integral to what esports is at its core, but the first has a place you can set your sights on and definitive place of what you set your sights on and aim to be in the future.
@RealHeyoka | ESL / DreamHack StarCraft Lead
Kipsate
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Netherlands45349 Posts
April 11 2016 12:03 GMT
#19
If they are shit they will be removed and youl have new people, its great from a marketing perspective, higher chances from a competitive perspective and if they happen to be utterly shit 3 months in when the game gets released they can be removed.
WriterXiao8~~
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22630 Posts
April 11 2016 12:22 GMT
#20
On April 11 2016 20:19 Cyro wrote:
@ Gorsameth

why do you feel the need to attack people over showing concern?

Because its a concern with no basis in reality and as such deserves no sympathy.

The existence of pro teams, regardless of what state a game is in does not stunt growth at all. If it did then we would not be seeing great players arise months/years after a game is released.

Did all those pro teams that existed when SC2 was still in beta prevent new players from quickly rising to the top?
Did it stop players in Heroes of the Storm?

No, it didn't and Overwatch is no different.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 52m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 194
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 566
NaDa 47
TT1 3
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm200
LuMiX0
League of Legends
JimRising 669
Other Games
summit1g10181
WinterStarcraft367
Mew2King98
ViBE90
ArmadaUGS54
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1325
BasetradeTV326
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream156
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 97
• davetesta45
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush756
• Lourlo521
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6h 52m
INu's Battles
8h 52m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
11h 52m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 52m
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 52m
Replay Cast
19h 52m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 6h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 7h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 12h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.