• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:33
CEST 02:33
KST 09:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8731 users

Fighting Games 2013-14 [FGC] - Page 33

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 31 32 33 34 35 60 Next
WindWolf
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Sweden11767 Posts
September 16 2013 18:19 GMT
#641
Non-360 games can still be present at Evo. From Shoryuken.com
" One more thing, the tournament this year will be on XBOX 360! This does not mean that titles that don’t have a 360 port will be excluded from the running of getting into Evo. Every game that is up for consideration for this year’s event will not be singled out if they do not have a 360 port, the event is not exclusive to XBOX 360."
EZ4ENCE
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
September 16 2013 18:23 GMT
#642
Ah, that's a relief then. I guess they still have the PS3s from this year.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
MarlieChurphy
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
United States2065 Posts
September 16 2013 21:16 GMT
#643
On September 16 2013 11:17 Cel.erity wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 16 2013 10:28 MarlieChurphy wrote:
I watched a few of the MK9 Evo matches and I was really impressed with the level of play and skill the game has become (Especially that kabal cyrax final). Just wondering why people don't play it so much anymore and why there isn't much in the way of a following for it either (whats a good youtube MK9 channel?). I understand that cyrax is probably a bit overpowered but the rest of the top finishes were pretty diverse mix of characters, especially since it used to be assumed that like Lui Kang, Kung Lao, Johnny Cage were the best characters at first. Did they get a bunch of nerfs or something? Also, I remember Jax having this weird corner loop thing that looked super cheap did that get nerfed?


Pretty sure Kabal and Kung Lao are considered the best characters in MK9.

As for why it's not played much, well, it's an MK game. The community is smaller because MK is a vastly oversimplified fighting game, suffers from terrible balance, and has (via popular opinion) poor graphics and a lack of footsies. If you like MK, try playing Injustice. It doesn't fix all of these problems, but it does improve on them a lot, and it's currently replaced MK9 as the NRS game of choice.

The best resource for MK/Injustice-related stuff is http://www.testyourmight.com, you can find anything you need there.


Can't really find much MK9 stuff there actually. The site navigation is pretty poor too..
RIP SPOR 11/24/11 NEVAR FORGET
Lemstar
Profile Joined October 2010
United States387 Posts
September 16 2013 21:25 GMT
#644
Are you looking at the MK9 section of the forums and not the website proper?
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
September 16 2013 23:06 GMT
#645
http://testyourmight.com/forums/mortal-kombat-9.155/ is a better link, I guess.

The community is small, and kind of scrubby, but they do an okay job with their character forums. I guess all my time on TL and Dustloop has spoiled me, but I don't understand why information is organized so poorly on sites like SRK and TYM. Important threads stop getting updated, the wikis are occasionally useless. All the info is still there, you just have to search extra hard for it.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
CosmicSpiral
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States15275 Posts
September 17 2013 02:08 GMT
#646
On September 17 2013 08:06 Cel.erity wrote:
http://testyourmight.com/forums/mortal-kombat-9.155/ is a better link, I guess.

The community is small, and kind of scrubby, but they do an okay job with their character forums. I guess all my time on TL and Dustloop has spoiled me, but I don't understand why information is organized so poorly on sites like SRK and TYM. Important threads stop getting updated, the wikis are occasionally useless. All the info is still there, you just have to search extra hard for it.


There is no standardized model for character threads since it's all up to volunteers who aren't associated with the website. The same problem applies to the wikis.
WriterWovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
September 17 2013 02:19 GMT
#647
On September 17 2013 11:08 CosmicSpiral wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2013 08:06 Cel.erity wrote:
http://testyourmight.com/forums/mortal-kombat-9.155/ is a better link, I guess.

The community is small, and kind of scrubby, but they do an okay job with their character forums. I guess all my time on TL and Dustloop has spoiled me, but I don't understand why information is organized so poorly on sites like SRK and TYM. Important threads stop getting updated, the wikis are occasionally useless. All the info is still there, you just have to search extra hard for it.


There is no standardized model for character threads since it's all up to volunteers who aren't associated with the website. The same problem applies to the wikis.


Yeah, but that's only true of those particular forums. Most places have moderators who are in charge of making sure certain sections are kept organized, and at least maintaining order in the stickied threads. There's a pretty big difference in the mentality of the SF/MK community and the anime FGC or esports community.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
MarlieChurphy
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
United States2065 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-17 16:02:53
September 17 2013 15:57 GMT
#648
ah cool, thanks

Why is kabal thought to be god tier currently? His footsie run away zoning game? And I noticed Sonya in semis of EVO and I couldn't really tell why she was there, she used to be trash right?
Also, I saw a Kano pretty high ranking in the tourney why is he bottom tier? Are the tier disparities really small in comparison to something like SF? (Dan, Sean, etc.)
RIP SPOR 11/24/11 NEVAR FORGET
Trumpet
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States1936 Posts
September 17 2013 17:35 GMT
#649
On September 18 2013 00:57 MarlieChurphy wrote:
ah cool, thanks

Why is kabal thought to be god tier currently? His footsie run away zoning game? And I noticed Sonya in semis of EVO and I couldn't really tell why she was there, she used to be trash right?
Also, I saw a Kano pretty high ranking in the tourney why is he bottom tier? Are the tier disparities really small in comparison to something like SF? (Dan, Sean, etc.)


**I haven't played MK9 in a long while since I practice KoF almost exclusively now, so take what I say with a grain of salt**

Sonya is good because she has some really good armored reversals and can kinda force her way through stuff. Kabal has an insane keepaway game if you can do instant air fireballs and still has a strong rushdown game and threat with the run into combo. If you want to see the top tiers played in such a way to show why they're the top, look up videos of reo, cdjr etc. The game is decently well balanced as long as you stick to the mid tier and above characters, but I'm sure there are some ridiculous matchups in there.
MarlieChurphy
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
United States2065 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-18 03:40:13
September 18 2013 03:39 GMT
#650
On September 18 2013 02:35 Trumpet wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 18 2013 00:57 MarlieChurphy wrote:
ah cool, thanks

Why is kabal thought to be god tier currently? His footsie run away zoning game? And I noticed Sonya in semis of EVO and I couldn't really tell why she was there, she used to be trash right?
Also, I saw a Kano pretty high ranking in the tourney why is he bottom tier? Are the tier disparities really small in comparison to something like SF? (Dan, Sean, etc.)


**I haven't played MK9 in a long while since I practice KoF almost exclusively now, so take what I say with a grain of salt**

Sonya is good because she has some really good armored reversals and can kinda force her way through stuff. Kabal has an insane keepaway game if you can do instant air fireballs and still has a strong rushdown game and threat with the run into combo. If you want to see the top tiers played in such a way to show why they're the top, look up videos of reo, cdjr etc. The game is decently well balanced as long as you stick to the mid tier and above characters, but I'm sure there are some ridiculous matchups in there.

I saw the tier listings and a lot of the characters have really imbalanced matchups, like in both directions, so it's like a lot of this , I think even Kabal has a couple bad matchups but he has the least so that's why he takes the top. I guess sheeva and kano just have bad frame data and hit boxes or something because their combos and specials dont seem all that bad.
RIP SPOR 11/24/11 NEVAR FORGET
SheaR619
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2399 Posts
September 18 2013 06:06 GMT
#651
So anyone know how Playstation allstars is doing as a competitive game? I know this sounds stupid since I too think the game is a terrible competitive game for many reason but I saw it at MLG, was surprise to even see it there to be honest and it was FFA as well...Anyways, I was wondering how is that competitive scene for this game is doing out of curiousity after it MLG debut?
I may not be the best, but i will be some day...
WindWolf
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Sweden11767 Posts
September 19 2013 19:15 GMT
#652
Just wondering, during Marvel EVO, does anyone know in what position the best Phoenix Wright player came in?
EZ4ENCE
Trumpet
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States1936 Posts
September 19 2013 19:40 GMT
#653
On September 20 2013 04:15 WindWolf wrote:
Just wondering, during Marvel EVO, does anyone know in what position the best Phoenix Wright player came in?


Are you referring to a specific player or just asking what was the highest placing P Wright?
WindWolf
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Sweden11767 Posts
September 19 2013 19:42 GMT
#654
On September 20 2013 04:40 Trumpet wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2013 04:15 WindWolf wrote:
Just wondering, during Marvel EVO, does anyone know in what position the best Phoenix Wright player came in?


Are you referring to a specific player or just asking what was the highest placing P Wright?

Highest placing P Wright
EZ4ENCE
Lemstar
Profile Joined October 2010
United States387 Posts
September 19 2013 20:32 GMT
#655
tied for 33-64
WindWolf
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Sweden11767 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-24 13:02:08
September 24 2013 10:54 GMT
#656
http://shoryuken.com/2013/09/23/opinion-experimenting-with-double-elim-best-two-of-three/

As someone who watches both UMvC3 and Dota2, this makes me wanna shout out "NO!". Dota is very different from Marvel and what works in one game doesn't necessarily work in another: For example (ignoring Phoenix's Lv5), any kind of buy-back mechanic similar to that in Dota2 wouldn't work in Marvel. (Correct me if I'm wrong here) You can do fine in Marvel even without much meter (at the cost of having to execute longer combos, but still doable), but in Dota gold is key in order to get the items you need and therefor there is a risk if you buy-back
EZ4ENCE
YulyaVolkova
Profile Joined December 2011
United Kingdom95 Posts
September 24 2013 11:23 GMT
#657
Yeah ^ I read that article and just can't see anything remotely like it working as a tournament standard. I don't play much UMvC3 (almost any at all) but I like watching top 8s/16s of majors and personally just find the idea of watching everyone playing suboptimal teams they haven't practiced as much really unappealing. Also screws over real character/team specialists who have found a sick original set of 3 characters that work really well together. Just sounds dull. When you see Chris G play you want to see him play the best Morrigan in the game vs other very high skill level players, you don't want someone to ban Morrigan and make Chris G play something hes still very good at, but is far less breathtaking.

The idea transferred to AE would just be hilariously bad and I don't personally think its much better for UMvC3.
Trumpet
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States1936 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-24 18:18:28
September 24 2013 18:17 GMT
#658
Neat concept, we've had similar ideas locally for MMs before, but the only game we ever discussed it in and the only game I could see it working in is KoF. Marvel could work in theory but in practice the super long combos require a ton of practice and teams are based on synergy, in cases like if you ban Sentinel from a player, his Magneto also just got crippled, etc. I know personally I can win local tournaments, but if you banned either Cap or Vergil I'm basically dead in the water. However in KoF, we see plenty of players who run tons of different characters most the combos aren't especially long or difficult. The grand finalists of this year's Evo, Hee San Woo and Reynald, are both players who can run random select with money on the line (and have!). I could see it being an incredibly fun and still incredibly entertaining and skillful format for KoF, but for the majors I think I'd prefer what we already have.

Video for those curious or dubious of someone's ability to random select well in KoF:
YulyaVolkova
Profile Joined December 2011
United Kingdom95 Posts
September 24 2013 18:37 GMT
#659
On September 25 2013 03:17 Trumpet wrote:
Neat concept, we've had similar ideas locally for MMs before, but the only game we ever discussed it in and the only game I could see it working in is KoF. Marvel could work in theory but in practice the super long combos require a ton of practice and teams are based on synergy, in cases like if you ban Sentinel from a player, his Magneto also just got crippled, etc. I know personally I can win local tournaments, but if you banned either Cap or Vergil I'm basically dead in the water. However in KoF, we see plenty of players who run tons of different characters most the combos aren't especially long or difficult. The grand finalists of this year's Evo, Hee San Woo and Reynald, are both players who can run random select with money on the line (and have!). I could see it being an incredibly fun and still incredibly entertaining and skillful format for KoF, but for the majors I think I'd prefer what we already have.

Video for those curious or dubious of someone's ability to random select well in KoF:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwe9Z7K4A4c


Id agree 100% with KoF being viable for it, I still don't hugely see the point though personally. If youre playing X and Xs strongest character is Y, thats probably whats going to be banned. That is probably what will be banned for the guy in 99% of the matches he has during a tournament, in which case I just see it being this weird cyclical thing where people 'main' (or have a character they are known for in KoF say), once it becomes known thats their 'main' currently, it gets banned all the time as its the character they have the most recent experience with. They now can rarely use this character in tournaments so stop playing that character as much and focus on some other 'surprise' for the next major, ie pick a new main. This repeats and you have a bunch of dudes that after a couple of years can play half a fighting games cast pretty well, but you don't have any Chris G Morrigans, Daigo Ryus, Infiltration Akumas, Xian Gens blah blah. Just a big field of pretty good, but not exceptionally good players (at the characters they're going to be playing this tournament). Some people may like that but I just feel like itd make competition pretty dull and stagnant - whats the point in really delving in to find those weird bits of tech on a character if you could probably only exploit it for a smallish period of time anyway before having that character always banned and having to resort to secondaries. Meh.
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
September 24 2013 22:13 GMT
#660
Needless to say, there are a lot of tournaments I would not be participating in if they implemented bans. I don't have time to learn secondary and tertiary characters in every game I play, and the idea seems really stupid when you're facing somebody you don't know. It's like playing Battleship, ban a random top tier and hope you hit them.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
Prev 1 31 32 33 34 35 60 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings59
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 138
SpeCial 121
CosmosSc2 45
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1618
Rain 1593
Artosis 651
910 60
Bale 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm127
League of Legends
Doublelift3405
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox250
Other Games
summit1g8873
shahzam544
JimRising 441
C9.Mang0340
PiGStarcraft288
Maynarde131
Liquid`Ken7
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick898
BasetradeTV163
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream28
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 103
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP70
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie795
• Shiphtur191
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 27m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
10h 27m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
23h 27m
Patches Events
1d 15h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.