For all who love it and all who have never heard about it I offer a challenge (with reward!).
The challenge is pretty simple, it starts today and in roughly a week from now (Monday, 14. 11. 2011 ~18:00 CET) it will be concluded. The person with the largest character wins and will receive a game of their chosing from GOG.
In case of a tie in character levels, tiebreakers will be resolved by providing the screenshot of detailed stats so I can count your stat average (character levels on Genesis have pretty wide range of stat average).
http://genesismud.org/ is the game we're going to play. The site contains all the basic info you might need.
For playing you can either use the built-in client on the website (haven't tried it so I don't know if it's any good) or go one of the different routes:
- PuTTY for plain telnet (connect to mud.genesismud.org 3011)
- TinyFugue a free, open-source client for text based MUDs (my personal preference), easily scriptable and very powerful
- Client list for a virety of different choices
- Do the tutorial! It takes ~3-5 hours to finish it but you get a really nice jump-start from it in terms of experience, money and knowledge about how the game works.
- After you're done with tutorial, head over to 'Pier 9' in Sparkle docks (you'll land in Sparkle after finishing the tutorial) to the east of town. Get to Calia and sign up for the Academy of Elemental Arts or Cadets School. This are really nice starter guilds that will give you access to some skills, spells/special attack.
Note: There are more powerful guilds which you can join right off the bat (Gladiators, Mercenaries etc.) but they require a substantial financial investment and bigger characters to benefit you. As you'll quickly discover your biggest problem in the beginning is going to be getting money.
- Try to avoid teaming with bigger people in the beginning. You get tons of exp from this but your brutality is going to skyrocket and halt your progress (the more brutal you are the less experience from combat you get, you can lower your brutality by questing).
- You can accomplish more and get exp/cash faster in a team, preferably of similar level.
- Quest solutions are not disclosed (it's forbidden) but you can use the newbie line (ntell) to get hints on where to find quests and how to solve them if you're stuck.
- Be careful out there. Death takes away your experience and can lower your level. It's easy to recover from it at lower levels though so you shouldn't worry too much. The problem is that past the tutorial area you end up in the open world which is not divided into areas where you progress easy -> hard, you can run into stuff that's pretty damn big right away.
- Protip for final boss fight in the tutorial: Wear full set of armours, encumbrance is bad for combat but AC is huge help. Get as drunk as you can, by the ruling of original MUD creator ingestion of alcohol can have no negative effects on you so instead it increases your health regeneration.
- Protip for beginning: First focus on getting money. The best way to do it is increasing your unarmed combat (weapons are expensive in the beginning and your equipment doesn't save with you, whenever you quit you just drop everything except cash), defense and trading. Then just grind the bunnies to get your skills up.
- useful maps: http://www.thecrossbearercorporation.com/websites/genesismaps/
If you have any questions, ask away here.
If you'd like to participate in this challenge, create a character and post your name here.
Let the challenge begin!