• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:02
CEST 07:02
KST 14:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7672 users

TL Chess Match 4 - Page 132

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 130 131 132 133 134 140 Next
GenesisX
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada4267 Posts
January 10 2012 04:32 GMT
#2621
28. Ne4
133 221 333 123 111
SausageLinks
Profile Joined December 2010
United States93 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-11 01:55:12
January 10 2012 07:28 GMT
#2622
+ Show Spoiler +
right now I'm liking 28. Rc6 for the reasons listed last page: it gains initiative and will allow us to push a past pawn. i will agree that 28. Kf1 seems a bit too passive for us right now, and 28. Rc7+ for the most part has already been acknowledged as a bad line. 28. Ne4 seems interesting but Malinor stated, I don't see how the rerouting of the knight would benefit us immediately, if at all.


so yeah. my vote right now goes to 28. Rc6. subject to change, of course. changing my vote to 28. Kf1.
n00b never die
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
January 10 2012 08:05 GMT
#2623
The problem with 28. Rc6 (imo) is that + Show Spoiler +
it doesn't gain initiative, but loses it. After 28...Bb5, White will have spent one move in threatening the Bishop and Black will have spent one move in moving the Bishop out of danger--but now we will need to take another move to save the Rook which is now under attack. That's a free tempo that we've handed to Black.

Of course we can technically keep the tempo by playing 29. Rc7+, but that's not much better than the 28. Rc7+ lines. The basic problem with all of these Rook moves is that our Rook is needed for the defense, so moving it to the other side of the board is counter-productive.
. I understand why the Rook moves Rc6 and Rc7+ are tempting--they're pretty much our only source of aggressive counterplay at the moment. I was counting on playing them myself when we first started going into this line, but that was before liberal pointed out the move that our opponent ended up playing (27...d3). In this situation, I think that our counter-attack is just a bit too slow to end up being enough to save us from Black's threat to Queen the d-pawn.

An important point about this position that I hadn't fully appreciated until liberal pointed out 27...d3 and I started looking at it seriously is that + Show Spoiler +
it opened up the a7-g1 diagonal. That gives Black control over the a7 and b6 squares (through the potential fork ...Bc5+), which makes a big difference to how strong our counterplay is.
.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
TheRidd
Profile Joined January 2011
713 Posts
January 10 2012 09:51 GMT
#2624
On January 10 2012 17:05 qrs wrote:
The problem with 28. Rc6 (imo) is that + Show Spoiler +
it doesn't gain initiative, but loses it. After 28...Bb5, White will have spent one move in threatening the Bishop and Black will have spent one move in moving the Bishop out of danger--but now we will need to take another move to save the Rook which is now under attack. That's a free tempo that we've handed to Black.

Of course we can technically keep the tempo by playing 29. Rc7+, but that's not much better than the 28. Rc7+ lines. The basic problem with all of these Rook moves is that our Rook is needed for the defense, so moving it to the other side of the board is counter-productive.
. I understand why the Rook moves Rc6 and Rc7+ are tempting--they're pretty much our only source of aggressive counterplay at the moment. I was counting on playing them myself when we first started going into this line, but that was before liberal pointed out the move that our opponent ended up playing (27...d3). In this situation, I think that our counter-attack is just a bit too slow to end up being enough to save us from Black's threat to Queen the d-pawn.

An important point about this position that I hadn't fully appreciated until liberal pointed out 27...d3 and I started looking at it seriously is that + Show Spoiler +
it opened up the a7-g1 diagonal. That gives Black control over the a7 and b6 squares (through the potential fork ...Bc5+), which makes a big difference to how strong our counterplay is.
.

I agree with qrs. Think for a second, maybe i'm wrong but + Show Spoiler +
what if 28.Rc6 and 28. Ra2, then what ? If we capture something, pawn or bishop, it will be mate wont it ? 28.Rc6 28. Ra2 29.Rxc6 29.Bc5 30.Kf1 30.Ra1 . There are of course a couple of moves white can do like block the bishop with his bishop and or put the knight in front of the king, but will only delay the inevitable wont it ?
Mash2
Profile Joined February 2011
United States132 Posts
January 10 2012 16:33 GMT
#2625
On January 10 2012 18:51 TheRidd wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2012 17:05 qrs wrote:
The problem with 28. Rc6 (imo) is that + Show Spoiler +
it doesn't gain initiative, but loses it. After 28...Bb5, White will have spent one move in threatening the Bishop and Black will have spent one move in moving the Bishop out of danger--but now we will need to take another move to save the Rook which is now under attack. That's a free tempo that we've handed to Black.

Of course we can technically keep the tempo by playing 29. Rc7+, but that's not much better than the 28. Rc7+ lines. The basic problem with all of these Rook moves is that our Rook is needed for the defense, so moving it to the other side of the board is counter-productive.
. I understand why the Rook moves Rc6 and Rc7+ are tempting--they're pretty much our only source of aggressive counterplay at the moment. I was counting on playing them myself when we first started going into this line, but that was before liberal pointed out the move that our opponent ended up playing (27...d3). In this situation, I think that our counter-attack is just a bit too slow to end up being enough to save us from Black's threat to Queen the d-pawn.

An important point about this position that I hadn't fully appreciated until liberal pointed out 27...d3 and I started looking at it seriously is that + Show Spoiler +
it opened up the a7-g1 diagonal. That gives Black control over the a7 and b6 squares (through the potential fork ...Bc5+), which makes a big difference to how strong our counterplay is.
.

I agree with qrs. Think for a second, maybe i'm wrong but + Show Spoiler +
what if 28.Rc6 and 28. Ra2, then what ? If we capture something, pawn or bishop, it will be mate wont it ? 28.Rc6 28. Ra2 29.Rxc6 29.Bc5 30.Kf1 30.Ra1 . There are of course a couple of moves white can do like block the bishop with his bishop and or put the knight in front of the king, but will only delay the inevitable wont it ?


+ Show Spoiler +
If we follow that line, it is absolutely mate, you're right. What if we follow that line and don't take the bishop after he moves ... Ra2? Instead we move either our g or h pawn freeing up a space for our king to escape to. This would force him to move his bishop on his next move. Wouldn't that give us tempo? I don't know how this line ends up for us, but it is a possibility.

The only other moves I see for him if we move Rc6 would be ... Bb7 which we could move Rc3. Or he could move ... Bb5. We can't move Rb6 pinning his bishop and rook because he could move his dark squared bishop to fork our king and rook on his next move. I think any other move in this line loses tempo like qrs said. Maybe Re6 with the intention of d6 after?
"Quite often the flood of history is undammed or diverted by the character and actions of one man." - Pat Frank, "Alas, Babylon"
liberal
Profile Joined November 2011
1116 Posts
January 10 2012 16:47 GMT
#2626
Well, this is the position I was hoping to avoid last move. Our counterplay is pretty much nonexistent.

I vote for Rc7+. It's an in between move to force the king to a less active square, that's all.

I also vote for offer draw.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
January 11 2012 02:41 GMT
#2627
I will give you guys one more extra day to catch up. I hope there's a few more votes by tomorrow. I'm cleaning up my PC over the weekend, so I will definitely post a response either before or right after as well. Most likely late Thursday or sometimes on Friday.

Cheers.
SheaR619
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2399 Posts
January 11 2012 09:41 GMT
#2628
Okay, after careful consideration, I think the best possible move that I can analyze for the variation with Rc7+ is + Show Spoiler +
28. Rc7+, Ke8
Pd6, Bd8
Rc6, Bd8xPa5
RxBa6, Ba5xNd2
Bf4xBd2, RxBd2
Ra8+, Kd7
a6, Rx2
a7, d2
Rd8+, KxR
a8(promote)+, ??

ok with this variation we are ensured the tempo and PROMOTION FIRST! At the cost of a rook...so ugh what do you guy think? We can potentially check for draw perhaps or does anyone see an opening?


I am changing my move to Nf3 + Show Spoiler +
because iono what else to do rofl and it put our knight in a more offensive position yet still defend that square. As long as the rook is in the backrow, we are pretty safe to anything and there nothing bad about it. It obvious that black want to play Rc2 soon. This move is also pretty safe against that.
I may not be the best, but i will be some day...
Raysalis
Profile Joined July 2010
Malaysia1034 Posts
January 11 2012 09:52 GMT
#2629
I am going Kf2

+ Show Spoiler +


Same idea as Kf1 but on a more flexible square

:)
Mash2
Profile Joined February 2011
United States132 Posts
January 11 2012 14:10 GMT
#2630
Kf1+ Show Spoiler +
dont' love it. don't see anything better.
"Quite often the flood of history is undammed or diverted by the character and actions of one man." - Pat Frank, "Alas, Babylon"
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
January 11 2012 14:27 GMT
#2631
On January 11 2012 18:52 Raysalis wrote:
I am going Kf2

+ Show Spoiler +


Same idea as Kf1 but on a more flexible square

+ Show Spoiler +
You'd think it's more flexible, but actually, I believe Kf2 is quite a bit less flexible than Kf1. The problem is that it pins our Knight.

'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
January 11 2012 17:18 GMT
#2632
I am going to change my vote from Kf1 and say 28.g2-g4

+ Show Spoiler +
This prevents f6-f5 and therefore gives us the possibility to later play Ne4. While blacks pawn on d3 looks very uncomfortable to us, he cannot threaten to transit it into a queen during the next couple of moves. Especially if we get the knight on e4 and have the bishop still on f4, we might even have some offensive pressure again.

28. Kf1 is simply too slow in my opinion, it takes forever until we get the king in a decent position.

28. Rc7+ Rd8 29. Rc3 could work somehow I guess but I thing it will push us behind. At least that way we have pushed the black king farther away. But I don't think it is a good move at all.
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-11 20:18:23
January 11 2012 20:18 GMT
#2633
On January 12 2012 02:18 Malinor wrote:
I am going to change my vote from Kf1 and say 28.g2-g4

+ Show Spoiler +
This prevents f6-f5 and therefore gives us the possibility to later play Ne4. While blacks pawn on d3 looks very uncomfortable to us, he cannot threaten to transit it into a queen during the next couple of moves. Especially if we get the knight on e4 and have the bishop still on f4, we might even have some offensive pressure again.

28. Kf1 is simply too slow in my opinion, it takes forever until we get the king in a decent position.

28. Rc7+ Rd8 29. Rc3 could work somehow I guess but I thing it will push us behind. At least that way we have pushed the black king farther away. But I don't think it is a good move at all.
Well, let's see:
+ Show Spoiler +
28.g2-g4: your proposal
28...Bxa3: I think this is probably Black's default move in this position. Besides picking up the pawn, it sets up a discovered threat to our Rook, and clears the way for ...Bb4, supporting a push of the d-pawn.

What do you want to play here? If we play 29. Ne4, Black has 29...Re2, threatening both our Knight and the Rook, and with the threat of ...d3-d2 if both of our pieces flee the area. If we play 29. Rc7+ and go off on an adventure with our Rook, (e.g. 29...Kd8 30. Rxh2) Black threatens ...Bb4 followed, again, by ...d3-d2.

I don't love 28. Kf1 much more than you do, but if we don't get another defender to the d-pawn, then our need to stop Black from Queening paralyzes all of our pieces.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-11 20:33:41
January 11 2012 20:31 GMT
#2634
On January 12 2012 05:18 qrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2012 02:18 Malinor wrote:
I am going to change my vote from Kf1 and say 28.g2-g4

+ Show Spoiler +
This prevents f6-f5 and therefore gives us the possibility to later play Ne4. While blacks pawn on d3 looks very uncomfortable to us, he cannot threaten to transit it into a queen during the next couple of moves. Especially if we get the knight on e4 and have the bishop still on f4, we might even have some offensive pressure again.

28. Kf1 is simply too slow in my opinion, it takes forever until we get the king in a decent position.

28. Rc7+ Rd8 29. Rc3 could work somehow I guess but I thing it will push us behind. At least that way we have pushed the black king farther away. But I don't think it is a good move at all.
Well, let's see:
+ Show Spoiler +
28.g2-g4: your proposal
28...Bxa3: I think this is probably Black's default move in this position. Besides picking up the pawn, it sets up a discovered threat to our Rook, and clears the way for ...Bb4, supporting a push of the d-pawn.

What do you want to play here? If we play 29. Ne4, Black has 29...Re2, threatening both our Knight and the Rook, and with the threat of ...d3-d2 if both of our pieces flee the area. If we play 29. Rc7+ and go off on an adventure with our Rook, (e.g. 29...Kd8 30. Rxh2) Black threatens ...Bb4 followed, again, by ...d3-d2.

I don't love 28. Kf1 much more than you do, but if we don't get another defender to the d-pawn, then our need to stop Black from Queening paralyzes all of our pieces.



+ Show Spoiler +
My line is 28... Bxa3 29.Rc6 Bb5 30.Rc7+ Kd8.

Followed by either 31. Rb7 with options for black, but likely an exchange of rocks. Or 31.Rxh7 Bb4 32.Se4 which would result into a forced position of rock/3pawns versus rock/bishop. How good that is is above my level of play, but it should be somewhat even, and if we can exchange rocks we can at least force a draw.
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
January 11 2012 21:27 GMT
#2635
On January 12 2012 05:31 Malinor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2012 05:18 qrs wrote:
On January 12 2012 02:18 Malinor wrote:
I am going to change my vote from Kf1 and say 28.g2-g4

+ Show Spoiler +
This prevents f6-f5 and therefore gives us the possibility to later play Ne4. While blacks pawn on d3 looks very uncomfortable to us, he cannot threaten to transit it into a queen during the next couple of moves. Especially if we get the knight on e4 and have the bishop still on f4, we might even have some offensive pressure again.

28. Kf1 is simply too slow in my opinion, it takes forever until we get the king in a decent position.

28. Rc7+ Rd8 29. Rc3 could work somehow I guess but I thing it will push us behind. At least that way we have pushed the black king farther away. But I don't think it is a good move at all.
Well, let's see:
+ Show Spoiler +
28.g2-g4: your proposal
28...Bxa3: I think this is probably Black's default move in this position. Besides picking up the pawn, it sets up a discovered threat to our Rook, and clears the way for ...Bb4, supporting a push of the d-pawn.

What do you want to play here? If we play 29. Ne4, Black has 29...Re2, threatening both our Knight and the Rook, and with the threat of ...d3-d2 if both of our pieces flee the area. If we play 29. Rc7+ and go off on an adventure with our Rook, (e.g. 29...Kd8 30. Rxh2) Black threatens ...Bb4 followed, again, by ...d3-d2.

I don't love 28. Kf1 much more than you do, but if we don't get another defender to the d-pawn, then our need to stop Black from Queening paralyzes all of our pieces.



+ Show Spoiler +
My line is 28... Bxa3 29.Rc6 Bb5 30.Rc7+ Kd8.

Followed by either 31. Rb7 with options for black, but likely an exchange of rocks. Or 31.Rxh7 Bb4 32.Se4 which would result into a forced position of rock/3pawns versus rock/bishop. How good that is is above my level of play, but it should be somewhat even, and if we can exchange rocks we can at least force a draw.
Hmm, interesting. + Show Spoiler +
In your second line, (31. Rxh7), Black can play 31...Re2 to force the Knight away before playing ...Bb4, and I don't like our position at all if Black gets to keep the Bishop pair.

Your first line (31. Rb7) looks like it might be all right, though.
I'll have to look at this some more.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-11 22:18:25
January 11 2012 22:00 GMT
#2636
On January 12 2012 05:31 Malinor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2012 05:18 qrs wrote:
On January 12 2012 02:18 Malinor wrote:
I am going to change my vote from Kf1 and say 28.g2-g4

+ Show Spoiler +
This prevents f6-f5 and therefore gives us the possibility to later play Ne4. While blacks pawn on d3 looks very uncomfortable to us, he cannot threaten to transit it into a queen during the next couple of moves. Especially if we get the knight on e4 and have the bishop still on f4, we might even have some offensive pressure again.

28. Kf1 is simply too slow in my opinion, it takes forever until we get the king in a decent position.

28. Rc7+ Rd8 29. Rc3 could work somehow I guess but I thing it will push us behind. At least that way we have pushed the black king farther away. But I don't think it is a good move at all.
Well, let's see:
+ Show Spoiler +
28.g2-g4: your proposal
28...Bxa3: I think this is probably Black's default move in this position. Besides picking up the pawn, it sets up a discovered threat to our Rook, and clears the way for ...Bb4, supporting a push of the d-pawn.

What do you want to play here? If we play 29. Ne4, Black has 29...Re2, threatening both our Knight and the Rook, and with the threat of ...d3-d2 if both of our pieces flee the area. If we play 29. Rc7+ and go off on an adventure with our Rook, (e.g. 29...Kd8 30. Rxh2) Black threatens ...Bb4 followed, again, by ...d3-d2.

I don't love 28. Kf1 much more than you do, but if we don't get another defender to the d-pawn, then our need to stop Black from Queening paralyzes all of our pieces.



+ Show Spoiler +
My line is 28... Bxa3 29.Rc6 Bb5 30.Rc7+ Kd8.

Followed by either 31. Rb7 with options for black, but likely an exchange of rocks. Or 31.Rxh7 Bb4 32.Se4 which would result into a forced position of rock/3pawns versus rock/bishop. How good that is is above my level of play, but it should be somewhat even, and if we can exchange rocks we can at least force a draw.
Come to think of it, now that you bring this up, wouldn't your plan work if we play 28. Rc6 as well? + Show Spoiler +
We meet 28...Bb5, which I had suggested for Black, with your 29. Rc7+ Kd8 30. Rb7 pinning the Bishop. We meet 28...Ra2, which TheRidd had suggested for Black, with 29. g4, as Mash2 suggested.


edit: but what do we do about + Show Spoiler [this Black move?] +
28...Rc2? If we exchange Rooks, I can't see how to hold on to our pawn advantage, although we might have a draw.
Actually, I'm not sure what to do against this move in any line.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Slardar
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada7596 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-12 21:35:01
January 11 2012 22:14 GMT
#2637
Sign me up!

Ok so we're playing from Blacks perspective, promising position. I'll edit in an answer after I read the thread and have an understanding of what is the game.

@Qrs - Oh Gotcha, are we playing vs a GM level computer? White is in a pickle of a situation. Luckily the Black Q is dorment behind the lines. Guess I'm blind as a bat.

*Move* 28. RC6 (Changed vote) Thoughts behind RC6 ---> + Show Spoiler +
Reasoning: There is an opportunity for a triple fork, in the Bb5 variation that you pointed out Qrs, unlikely that he will make that move and we will retain our momentum. Also crucially opening up the A lane from the bishop to progress the A5 pawn to put some counter-pressure. if 28... Bb5 29.. Rc7+... Kd8... 30. Rb7.. Thinking of his response to this. Also future potential for Bb8 now that we are on the Bishop diagonal. I gotta get home from work though so, let me know what you think. What else can he do instead of Bb5 is the important question.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-11 22:29:03
January 11 2012 22:18 GMT
#2638
On January 12 2012 07:14 Slardar wrote:
Ok so we're playing from Blacks perspective, promising position. I'll edit in an answer after I read the thread and have an understanding of what is the game.
No, we're White.

edit: No, we're playing against a human, Ng5, the guy who started this thread. He's pretty good, though.

There are no Queens on the board. There are two Black Bishops and one White Bishop.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
January 11 2012 23:28 GMT
#2639
On January 12 2012 07:00 qrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2012 05:31 Malinor wrote:
On January 12 2012 05:18 qrs wrote:
On January 12 2012 02:18 Malinor wrote:
I am going to change my vote from Kf1 and say 28.g2-g4

+ Show Spoiler +
This prevents f6-f5 and therefore gives us the possibility to later play Ne4. While blacks pawn on d3 looks very uncomfortable to us, he cannot threaten to transit it into a queen during the next couple of moves. Especially if we get the knight on e4 and have the bishop still on f4, we might even have some offensive pressure again.

28. Kf1 is simply too slow in my opinion, it takes forever until we get the king in a decent position.

28. Rc7+ Rd8 29. Rc3 could work somehow I guess but I thing it will push us behind. At least that way we have pushed the black king farther away. But I don't think it is a good move at all.
Well, let's see:
+ Show Spoiler +
28.g2-g4: your proposal
28...Bxa3: I think this is probably Black's default move in this position. Besides picking up the pawn, it sets up a discovered threat to our Rook, and clears the way for ...Bb4, supporting a push of the d-pawn.

What do you want to play here? If we play 29. Ne4, Black has 29...Re2, threatening both our Knight and the Rook, and with the threat of ...d3-d2 if both of our pieces flee the area. If we play 29. Rc7+ and go off on an adventure with our Rook, (e.g. 29...Kd8 30. Rxh2) Black threatens ...Bb4 followed, again, by ...d3-d2.

I don't love 28. Kf1 much more than you do, but if we don't get another defender to the d-pawn, then our need to stop Black from Queening paralyzes all of our pieces.




+ Show Spoiler +
My line is 28... Bxa3 29.Rc6 Bb5 30.Rc7+ Kd8.

Followed by either 31. Rb7 with options for black, but likely an exchange of rocks. Or 31.Rxh7 Bb4 32.Se4 which would result into a forced position of rock/3pawns versus rock/bishop. How good that is is above my level of play, but it should be somewhat even, and if we can exchange rocks we can at least force a draw.
Come to think of it, now that you bring this up, wouldn't your plan work if we play 28. Rc6 as well? + Show Spoiler +
We meet 28...Bb5, which I had suggested for Black, with your 29. Rc7+ Kd8 30. Rb7 pinning the Bishop. We meet 28...Ra2, which TheRidd had suggested for Black, with 29. g4, as Mash2 suggested.


edit: but what do we do about + Show Spoiler [this Black move?] +
28...Rc2? If we exchange Rooks, I can't see how to hold on to our pawn advantage, although we might have a draw.
Actually, I'm not sure what to do against this move in any line.



I change my vote to 28. Rc6. because it accomplishs nearly the same as my g4 line, and at this point I will not get a majority for that move anyway (besides from that, Rc6 could very well be just the better move) and that way we should get a majority for Rc6. Regarding your feared move...
+ Show Spoiler +
28...Rc2. I honestly believe that black is in a position to force a draw, and if he plays for it it will just happen. I don't see a clear way for white to push the pawn advantage into a win, only if black is also playing to win. At this point, I would probably take a draw if he offered it.
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
January 12 2012 02:19 GMT
#2640
I see there's a couple of changes back and forth, too.

Due to the slow start - I will make my reply on Friday, meaning you'll have the whole Saturday as your first thinking day. You can keep voting till then I will keep my sheets updated. This way you can work as much as you want, guys.
Prev 1 130 131 132 133 134 140 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech157
Nina 94
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2143
Shuttle 1079
Snow 123
Dewaltoss 67
Hm[arnc] 40
Bale 34
Noble 27
Icarus 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm175
League of Legends
JimRising 607
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1099
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor666
Other Games
summit1g8386
PiGStarcraft293
C9.Mang0291
Mew2King175
RuFF_SC278
ViBE56
ArmadaUGS32
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream69
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 32
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2330
League of Legends
• Lourlo1002
• Rush779
• Stunt320
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
7h 59m
OSC
16h 59m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 4h
Online Event
1d 5h
FEL
1d 10h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 11h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 13h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.