• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:39
CEST 00:39
KST 07:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10159 users

Ultra Street Fighter IV - Page 667

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 665 666 667 668 Next
Check out the new Street Fighter V Thread
FakeSteve[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Valhalla18444 Posts
February 05 2016 22:54 GMT
#13321
The top 3 imo right now (and granted none of us have played the final build - we simply had a cracked pc version of beta 3) are Chun, Bison, and Nash, in that order. Chun has no weaknesses, she's amazing. Bison is really really goofy, I'm not sure why they gave him all the stuff he has. I legit thought his dash was only invincible during V-Trigger but nope, he disappears completely during his regular ol' dash. Especially online, it was very hard to stuff his post-dash button on reaction to the dash. Nash is very strong as well - he received some nerfs, and he's a little harder to play than the other two because so many of his good normals are deceptively shitty on block - they need to be spaced properly.

Laura is strong, but limited. She has incredible counterhit confirms, and a command grab to encourage people to hit buttons or jump away while she's pressuring. That's the nature of her mixup - will she throw, or continue pressing your block? She's very punishable, but she has some really nice tools. She's going to struggle vs characters that can keep her out. I'd put her on the lower end of the cast at the moment, but she is completely fine and playable so far,

Vega, I really have no idea. Every Vega I played was complete trash, and I had no interest in messing with him myself, sorry From the footage I've watched, he seems good, but kinda gimmicky...

Rashid is gonna surprise people. He's hard to play, but he has some very interesting tools. Watch out for this character, he is gonna be a problem once someone gets a strong handle on him.

New Sim is probably my favourite character in V (not that I'll play him in tourneys lol), love his redesign. He has legitimate combo and stun potential on top of his strong neutral, which is basically all he was missing in 4.

Necalli is very very good. I think people sleep on him because he's a little less intuitive to play for someone new. For a new player it'll feel like Necalli's buttons are very limited, that he has to work harder than the reward should require, etc. I disagree entirely. One of the biggest changes in this version is that all medium and heavy normals do a bit of damage in the way of grey life (life that will regenerate if you're not hit/blocking for a bit). His command grab is low damage by itself, but when combined with fast, high damage normals that are + on block, it becomes a scary tool. You'll get an extra 40-60 damage on your grab if they block a couple stand strongs first. His V-Trigger not running out makes him unique... dude can cover the entire screen in 2 dashes in V-Trigger.

Birdie is fucking sick, but I don't think LPN's gimmicky aggressive play from Mad Catz V Cup will last. He seems built different from other grapplers.... traditionally, grapplers have to close the distance, and when they get in, they're scary. Birdie is built to make people come to him. Pretty neat. I also agree with Combofiend's assessment of him as (imo the only) a bad matchup for Chun, because he covers largely the same areas that she does in neutral, but his damage is way higher.

Ken, I'll reserve judgement. He can't possibly be as weak as I think he is, I only think he's weak because he was so strong in the first beta.

Ryu is incredibly fun to play and he's pretty legit. I think he's weaker than other characters because he lacks... tools I guess? I just feel like his parry isn't good enough. It's good enough to punish obvious shit, but not good enough to be used like it is in 3s. His fireball game is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Ultra Ryu. Significantly. You will have a hard time closing distance on this guy, you need to be WAY closer to punish a fireball with a jumpin. He has some super neat tech with using the V-Trigger activation screen freeze to assess the situation, and punish with his fireball or CA in situations other characters can't. Its up in the air where he stands on the tier list, I really couldn't say. I feel like he's weak compared to other characters in terms of opening people up and getting damage.

Mika is strong as fuck but pretty hard to play. There's a lot of decision making involved.

Gief I'm not sure. In the PC crack I had, he doesn't work properly, and he was likely the least played character in the beta


Karin is..... they made this character for me. Karin takes everything I'm good at and puts it in a package, and mails it to me with a birthday card that reads "enjoy your damage!". She's very good, and it has nothing to do with all the goofy shit I'm sure you saw Karin players doing online. You wanna know why Karin is so good? Start with s.mk, that's a good place to start. She is difficult to anti-air with, so practice that shit if you want to play Karin
Moderatormy tatsu loops r fuckin nice
FakeSteve[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Valhalla18444 Posts
February 05 2016 22:58 GMT
#13322
I tried to put in a decent amount of time with everyone (Except Gief because he didn't work properly in the build I was playing).

I'll be maining Karin and Chun in tournaments, but besides those two, I enjoyed Dhalsim, Necalli, Ryu, and Rashid the most. Ryu might be "weak" (again, he just feels like he doesn't have the same offensive tools as others) but his basic fundamental gameplan is much improved over its sf4 iteration. his fireballs are real as hell and he's been an absolute joy to play. Highly recommend, whether he ends up "high tier" or not, he's very satisfying
Moderatormy tatsu loops r fuckin nice
FakeSteve[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Valhalla18444 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-02-05 23:02:29
February 05 2016 23:00 GMT
#13323
I gotta head out and pick up a bunch of setups now... our farewell to Ultra tourney is tomorrow :D

Here's a promo video!



Yes I'm aware I'm not in the video - I forgot to send him footage xD FlakeSteve amirite?

This is just showing off some of the players around here - there's a couple Calgarians in there as well, the guys who always show up to our events and so have become part of our scene, the way I did it travelling to Calgary all those times

I'll check the thread periodically for questions if people have 'em. I'm sure there's others here who can answer as well.
Moderatormy tatsu loops r fuckin nice
Duka08
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
3391 Posts
February 05 2016 23:02 GMT
#13324
Sick assessments. This helps a lot.

Just when I thought I couldn't get any more hype, fuck
o3.power91
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Bahrain5288 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-02-05 23:20:17
February 05 2016 23:12 GMT
#13325
Nice write up Steve. I pretty much agree on everything you said. I'll just add 2 points:

Ryu gets written off a lot because he doesn't have abusable tools other than his fireball game as you mentioned. However, that shouldn't take away from the fact that he has a very solid overall moveset and has tools to use in almost any situation. A good street fighter player will be able to play a solid Ryu. However, something I heard some commentators mention before that I feel might be the case is that most people are going to have a pocket Ryu that they will be able to play, but not necessarily take into tournaments. He is in the end of the day Mr. Street Fighter, and Capcom even stated that all other characters' movesets have been designed with Ryu as a starting template. In ranked play and casuals, I feel Ryu will be solid. In tournament settings however, I think you need to be a pretty damn good player to do well with him.

As for Zangief, I like what James Chen said on twitter about him around beta 3's time (I can't find the tweet). He claims that Zangief will be a balanced and fair pick at the top levels in tournament play, however in low-mid levels he will be very strong and in some cases, possibly unfair. In other words, Zangief is the scrub killer of this game.


Edit: PS. You forgot to include Cammy in your assessment. Another very strong character that you can't sleep on. Lots of top players claim she has one of the best sets of normals in the game. In beta 3 some were even going as far as to say she had THE best normals in the game.
2stra
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands928 Posts
February 06 2016 00:19 GMT
#13326
Gotta say it's good to see some more activity in this thread. Was thinking maybe it's a good idea to combine the fighting games thread for 2016 and the street fighter thread seeing as there is a lot of crossover between players/posters and that might keep both of em alive?

On a gameplay lvl, I pretty much only played ken and thought he was pretty strong if you bait crush counters but I read everywhere that he's bad. What's with that?
FakeSteve[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Valhalla18444 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-02-06 00:56:37
February 06 2016 00:52 GMT
#13327
Ah shit how did I forget Cammy lol

Ok, I played Cammy a bunch too and I'll share my opinion, but first, a little backstory...

I really should not play Cammy. I can definitely play her, but I always end up playing too aggressive and making bad decisions. I'm like, not smart enough to play Cammy in tournaments or something. I can't NOT play her like a donkey sometimes. I've had some great tournament success with her at times, but if you watch some of the replays....



...I honestly just see a scrub mashing buttons, it never felt consistent.

So I am definitely not playing Cammy in SFV. I am punishing myself.

I have dropped Sakura 3 times over the course of this game, and each time I tried to main Cammy, and each time I got frustrated by my over-aggressiveness and went back to a more "limited" character. The 3rd and final time I dropped Sakura to try to main Cammy was in Ultra - all my 2012 tech was virtually useless, Cammy players had to switch to a completely grounded, frame-trap based approach. I'm actually very happy about that, because its more in the vein of Sakura, right? Nah, I hit a mental wall with this character and I can't break habits from the previous version. Part of that is because all that shit still works on lower level players and you end up getting away with a lot in early rounds of tournaments, but at any rate, with SFV on the horizon I dropped Cammy again lol

SFV Cammy!

She's super super super super good at specific things, and has a deceptively strong midrange footsies game compared to Ultra. Her divekick setups are weak, not just unsafe, but weak overall. She suffers from really poor hitboxes on her divekicks, they're easily stuffed out by a c.lp or any other button that's fast enough. If you watched Poongko play Cammy during his beta streams you are probably getting the wrong idea of what Cammy is about. Netcode aside, people should be able to react to her side changes. I haven't had any trouble. If you can reliably react to her side changes, even if you can't poke her out of the dive kick, you should be able to block and begin generating your own pressure, because now Cammy is right next to you with negative frame advantage. I really don't buy that any of the gimmicky stuff is real (V-Trigger excluded, but she only gets 2 special moves with the buff before it drops), and I expect a lot of online (or just lower level tournament) Cammy players to lean on it - hit the lab and get your punishes down early if you're worried about her.

Despite her mixup options being a lot weaker than AEv2012, she doesn't seem to need them to be effective. They'll have good utility as hard reads in some situations, they're definitely not useless, just... not given to the Cammy player freely, if that makes sense. What Cammy has in SFV, are fucking amazing buttons. I'm pretty sure her c.mk got nerfed in the latest version, but it's better than USF4. Her s.mk is amazing. Her c.lp, c.mp, and cl.mp are very strong pressure tools that give her a dynamic offense up close when paired with her walk speed and throw. Confirming from c.mp or cl.mp is very easy, and the damage is good. Her anti-air game is on point and can lead to fantastic damage - her CA starts up very fast and has definite utility as an anti-air, or mid-screen punish for some things.

Her moveset encourages you to use her V-Skill, walk speed, and normals to close distance on the ground, not in the air. In my opinion, she's pretty good at it. I find her a little stale just because Ultra Cammy is similar and I've been playing Cammy on and off for a long time.

Generally speaking, we aren't going to have the entire picture of how these characters should be played until they have been explored a great deal more. For example, I barely scratched the surface of what some characters could do on crush counter knockdowns - if someone ends up having a bunch of dirty shit off of a guaranteed hard knockdown from crush counter, then the strategy with that character shifts more towards setting up that crush counter.
Moderatormy tatsu loops r fuckin nice
riotjune
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States3394 Posts
February 06 2016 01:18 GMT
#13328
Yea, I thought Cammy would be your first pick since you mained her and Sakura in USF4, but I guess Karin fits your playstyle better at the moment.
Garnet
Profile Blog Joined February 2006
Vietnam9055 Posts
February 06 2016 04:05 GMT
#13329
any chance we have a dedicated site for SFV? the SF community could really use a central place for wiki and discussions.
riotjune
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States3394 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-02-06 07:06:57
February 06 2016 06:19 GMT
#13330
There's Shoryuken wiki for frame data, specific matchup tips, and everything else for the most popular fighting games, though they haven't set one up for SFV yet. Discussions are mostly done on the Shoryuken forums, or you can try Dustloop forums/wiki if you're into Guilty Gear/BlazBlue/P4A.

Here we have our thread for the TL community, naturally anything could be discussed here
o3.power91
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Bahrain5288 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-02-06 08:17:17
February 06 2016 08:11 GMT
#13331
Shoryuken.com is the best for Capcom fighting games in general (ie: Street Fighter and Marvel vs Capcom). They also have a subforum for Killer Instinct. They don't have a full subforum for SFV yet but will add a proper one when the game is out. You can expect it to be segregated into subforums for each individual character to allow for more in depth discussions on matchups, tactics, and other character specific topics. They have a subforum for people completely new to the genre which is extremely helpful (and highly recommended) for newcomers willing to take the time to learn fighting games with a focus on Street Fighter. In addition, they also have a wiki which is regularly updated for frame data and a calendar for upcoming major events and tournaments. Furthermore, there is a matchmaking forum with threads dedicated to communities in various parts of the world to help you find nearby players to spar with (unfortunately, some threads for communities outside NA and EU are not so active).

Eventhubs is the best for fighting game news. Not that good of a forum, but lots of interesting things pop up on the main page faster than most sites. They also have community tier lists for the more popular fighting games if you're into that.

Then you have the other dedicated sites for specific fighters:
- Tekkenzaibatsu for Tekken (duh)
- Testyourmight for Mortal Kombat
- Dustloop for Guilty Gear, Blazblue, and Persona
- 8wayrun for Soul Calibur

Not too sure about smash though.
FakeSteve[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Valhalla18444 Posts
February 07 2016 05:20 GMT
#13332
Ahhh got 5th today, still a bit of a choke artist

On the bright side, TOing went awesome and our new group is doing great things. I'm really excited to be helping lead our local scene to bigger and better things. Want your local scene to grow? Pitch in! :D
Moderatormy tatsu loops r fuckin nice
Mensol
Profile Joined September 2012
14536 Posts
February 09 2016 04:17 GMT
#13333


If you don't know what the fuck you are doing, how are your enemies supposed to know what the fuck you are doing. - imaqtpie on NA teams at Worlds.
riotjune
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States3394 Posts
February 09 2016 06:50 GMT
#13334
o3.power91
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Bahrain5288 Posts
February 10 2016 14:35 GMT
#13335


New video showcasing all 16 characters and teasing the first DLC character which is confirmed to be Alex!!! (Skip to 4:44 for the teaser)

I thought I would stick to Nash as a main but damn I enjoyed Alex so much in 3S... I cant contain my hype XD
2stra
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands928 Posts
February 10 2016 22:08 GMT
#13336
http://www.twitch.tv/capcomfighters

Some UK SFV
o3.power91
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Bahrain5288 Posts
February 11 2016 09:45 GMT
#13337
[image loading]

Early look at Alex's design released by Capcom!!
MarlieChurphy
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
United States2065 Posts
February 11 2016 12:03 GMT
#13338
Thats such a shitty drawing for his teaser lol. Did they hire a middle schooler for it?
RIP SPOR 11/24/11 NEVAR FORGET
2stra
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands928 Posts
February 11 2016 15:55 GMT
#13339
[image loading]

season 2 char maybe?
porkRaven
Profile Joined December 2010
United States953 Posts
February 11 2016 16:07 GMT
#13340
mhm i hope he is in. I really like this model of introducing preexisting characters. Looks like eventually everyone will get their fav character in.
SHOUTOUTS TO Aylear!!!
Prev 1 665 666 667 668 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 21m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 132
ViBE83
CosmosSc2 6
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 568
Artosis 417
910 33
Dota 2
monkeys_forever473
League of Legends
JimRising 469
Counter-Strike
minikerr15
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS109
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5625
Liquid`Hasu1376
Other Games
summit1g7198
shahzam537
byalli375
C9.Mang0240
Trikslyr40
ZombieGrub13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream167
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 99
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki36
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
1h 21m
Kung Fu Cup
12h 21m
Stellar Fest
14h 21m
The PondCast
1d 11h
OSC
1d 14h
Stellar Fest
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.