• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:50
CEST 04:50
KST 11:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War395.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9154 users

Ultra Street Fighter IV - Page 443

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 441 442 443 444 445 668 Next
Check out the new Street Fighter V Thread
stuchiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Fiddler's Green42661 Posts
July 11 2014 16:06 GMT
#8841
I guess I'll just make a ghetto OP for evo 2014?
Moderator
Arceus
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Vietnam8333 Posts
July 11 2014 16:27 GMT
#8842
On July 12 2014 01:06 stuchiu wrote:
I guess I'll just make a ghetto OP for evo 2014?

plz go ahead. I would make it if the timezone difference is not 14 hours for me
Noocta
Profile Joined June 2010
France12578 Posts
July 11 2014 18:00 GMT
#8843
Well, Haitani used Rufus durign pools, even on stream.
I hope he switch back to Makoto during top32 or something.
" I'm not gonna fight you. I'm gonna kick your ass ! "
MarlieChurphy
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
United States2065 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-14 02:35:57
July 14 2014 02:26 GMT
#8844
Curious what you guys think about this:

Biggest gripe about SF4:

The overdoing of specials, ultras, poses, and death animations. Along side the minimum 30 seconds between rematches. So much time is wasted just sitting there doing nothing, regardless if you are the winning or losing end. Imagine if all those times were halved. How many ultras have you wasted time sitting through in your life? 500? 1000? 10,000?

(Imagine if each time you killed a HQ building in SC2 they went to a cutscene animation for 10 seconds)

Each ultra takes about 10~ seconds


That's 27.78 hours, which for those of you who are mentally disabled, is more than a day's length on this planet.

There should be options to turn off ultra animations and cameras, or at least speed them up x2 or x4. I don't give a shit if it doesn't look pretty anymore, it's a waste of everyone's time after they've seen it a dozen times.


On top of that, final blow death animations slow everything down to like -x2 so it wastes a few extra seconds at the end of each round. And then we have to watch the final posedown of the winner for a few seconds as well.


And don't get me started on the time wasted on the GUI outside of matches and reloading stage, vs screen, etc. etc. All that shit is MINIMUM 30 seconds. How many matches have you played? That's like 3 days of your life at least just sitting through useless screens if you've played 10k matches.

I don't think there is any other fighting game that wastes so much time just watching cartoons play during the match.

PS- shit like this is a problem as well


11:18 , time is running out. Commentator mentions that he can't even use Ultra once it gets to the 10 second mark as the damage won't come out by the time the clock hits zero.




PPS- 'Slow rolling' is a term in poker where a person holds the winning hand (or best possible hand at the moment) and they sit there mulling over a call on an all in or whatever for no reason. This is really bad etiquette and you can even be penalized for doing it.

In fighting games often times you will be very low on health and be punished for whiffing a move or whatever. A player can activate some overkill super/ultra to waste time instead of a jab. I think the moment your life is reduced to 0 it should immediately stop as well.

Every other SF game supers are like 5 seconds long MAX.

Poll: Ultra duration

Keep same (14)
 
88%

x2 or x4 speed automatically (1)
 
6%

Only lock timer during animation (1)
 
6%

x2 or x4 speed in options (0)
 
0%

Lock timer and speed up automatically (0)
 
0%

Lock timer and speed up options in menu (0)
 
0%

Other (0)
 
0%

16 total votes

Your vote: Ultra duration

(Vote): x2 or x4 speed automatically
(Vote): x2 or x4 speed in options
(Vote): Keep same
(Vote): Only lock timer during animation
(Vote): Lock timer and speed up automatically
(Vote): Lock timer and speed up options in menu
(Vote): Other




RIP SPOR 11/24/11 NEVAR FORGET
CosmicSpiral
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States15275 Posts
July 14 2014 02:32 GMT
#8845
The issue of ultra duration can be easily solved. Make it like UMvC3 so supers and ultras will always deal guaranteed full damage as long as they start before the timer expires.

A far bigger problem in USF4 is how piss-poor offense has become. There are too many easy defensive options to deal with pressure and too few strong offensive options to bypass it.
WriterWovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
MarlieChurphy
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
United States2065 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-14 02:47:39
July 14 2014 02:37 GMT
#8846
On July 14 2014 11:32 CosmicSpiral wrote:
The issue of ultra duration can be easily solved. Make it like UMvC3 so supers and ultras will always deal guaranteed full damage as long as they start before the timer expires.

A far bigger problem in USF4 is how piss-poor offense has become. There are too many easy defensive options to deal with pressure and too few strong offensive options to bypass it.



I don't specifically mean timer scamming, (although it is a related issue I brought up) but more so just the time of not playing the game and being forced to watch long drawn out animations that we've seen a thousand times already.

Are we playing a game here, or watching cartoons?

OT- jwong victory rolls

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
RIP SPOR 11/24/11 NEVAR FORGET
porkRaven
Profile Joined December 2010
United States953 Posts
July 14 2014 03:27 GMT
#8847
Speaking of timer scams...
SHOUTOUTS TO Aylear!!!
MarlieChurphy
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
United States2065 Posts
July 14 2014 12:18 GMT
#8848
For all those who havent seen it yet
RIP SPOR 11/24/11 NEVAR FORGET
CosmicSpiral
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States15275 Posts
July 14 2014 15:12 GMT
#8849
I still think the issue of losing almost all okizeme in Ultra is more important than the aesthetic concerns of cinematic supers.
WriterWovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
MarlieChurphy
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
United States2065 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-15 02:59:39
July 15 2014 02:58 GMT
#8850
On July 15 2014 00:12 CosmicSpiral wrote:
I still think the issue of losing almost all okizeme in Ultra is more important than the aesthetic concerns of cinematic supers.


What you mean the cinematic recovery is so long and you are often far away that you can't do anything? I assumed that was generally character specific to a playstyle they wanted to achieve for the character, so as not to be so cheap.

For example SPD ultras on grapplers will often throw the character pretty far away. Or rush down characters will be mid screen and not float down from their ultra until the opponent has reset.
RIP SPOR 11/24/11 NEVAR FORGET
porkRaven
Profile Joined December 2010
United States953 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-15 03:11:51
July 15 2014 03:01 GMT
#8851
On July 11 2014 18:24 ain wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 11 2014 16:14 MarlieChurphy wrote:
Thinking of learning a different character though, maybe juri or poison. I kinda like gouken and wanna check out evil ryu and oni as well. Who is best to learn with?


They're all good to learn with. Play whoever you enjoy the most. For starting out you just want to stay away from C.Viper, El Fuerte, Ibuki and Gen, because they require execution techniques new players shouldnt be bothered with.

I sort of agree with this. Except she does have really easy target combos that do good damage (target combo 8 into neckbreaker). I am a bit bias because I main ibuki though. She can also get you into really bad habits though (random neckbreaker etc).
but on the whole you're probably right.
I don't have a copy of Ultra yet (pc). I also have only seen a small amount of footage from the random youtube video or a tournament. What sort of characters still have vortex options? I've seen the Ibuki lk > kunai/lk depending on if delayed wakeup. How changed is it for other characters? Think it will take a little more time to find out new setups for vortex characters? If anyone knows personally is ibuki's okiezme still good?
SHOUTOUTS TO Aylear!!!
MarlieChurphy
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
United States2065 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-20 01:05:46
July 15 2014 03:10 GMT
#8852
I'm sort of surprised that most people are voting 'keep same' on that poll so far.

Can someone please make an argument for watching the same cutscene over and over? Maybe I should make a video where all ultras are X2 speed to see how they would look.

I also think a lot of the ultras are just ridiculous and silly. For example Hakan's thing where he slides you around his body 10 times, that's just cartoon shit. Or Juri's thing where she bends you back and whispers in your ear, seriously, that's just dumb.
RIP SPOR 11/24/11 NEVAR FORGET
CosmicSpiral
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States15275 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-15 03:21:33
July 15 2014 03:11 GMT
#8853
On July 15 2014 11:58 MarlieChurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 15 2014 00:12 CosmicSpiral wrote:
I still think the issue of losing almost all okizeme in Ultra is more important than the aesthetic concerns of cinematic supers.


What you mean the cinematic recovery is so long and you are often far away that you can't do anything? I assumed that was generally character specific to a playstyle they wanted to achieve for the character, so as not to be so cheap.

For example SPD ultras on grapplers will often throw the character pretty far away. Or rush down characters will be mid screen and not float down from their ultra until the opponent has reset.


I meant DWU has significantly slowed down the game, especially in regards to okizeme. SF4 was already slow because it was hard to turn pressure into significant damage with 3 frame mashable DPs, invincible backdashes, focus cancels, etc. Players had to develop the vortex for certain characters just to cover those options and maintain advantage off a hard knockdown. Now it's so risky to commit to offensive options off a knockdown that players don't even go for advantageous setups. How many times did players in the top 8 get a knockdown and literally just stand there/backdash?
WriterWovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
porkRaven
Profile Joined December 2010
United States953 Posts
July 15 2014 03:15 GMT
#8854
On July 15 2014 12:10 MarlieChurphy wrote:
I'm sort of surprised that most people are voting 'keep same' on that poll so far.

Can someone please make an argument for watching the same cutscene over and over? Maybe I should make a video where all supers are X2 speed to see how they would look.

I also think a lot of the supers are just ridiculous and silly. For example Hakan's thing where he slides you around his body 10 times, that's just cartoon shit. Or Juri's thing where she bends you back and whispers in your ear, seriously, that's just dumb.

As far as I know ultra animations are only supposed to look cool. I am not sure if there is anything wrong with the super animations though they tend to be quick, correct me if I'm wrong. Aesthetically the whole game is cartoon shit, not sure why the complaint is unique here.
SHOUTOUTS TO Aylear!!!
WindWolf
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Sweden11767 Posts
July 15 2014 03:17 GMT
#8855
On July 15 2014 12:15 SwatRaven wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 15 2014 12:10 MarlieChurphy wrote:
I'm sort of surprised that most people are voting 'keep same' on that poll so far.

Can someone please make an argument for watching the same cutscene over and over? Maybe I should make a video where all supers are X2 speed to see how they would look.

I also think a lot of the supers are just ridiculous and silly. For example Hakan's thing where he slides you around his body 10 times, that's just cartoon shit. Or Juri's thing where she bends you back and whispers in your ear, seriously, that's just dumb.

As far as I know ultra animations are only supposed to look cool. I am not sure if there is anything wrong with the super animations though they tend to be quick, correct me if I'm wrong. Aesthetically the whole game is cartoon shit, not sure why the complaint is unique here.

Some super animations are rather quick (Rose and Juri for example) while others are long (Abel and Zangief comes to mind)
EZ4ENCE
MarlieChurphy
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
United States2065 Posts
July 15 2014 05:48 GMT
#8856
Just came across this. Other than the weird character mods I actually think this is an improvement. It would be nice if at least we could turn off the cameras.



Maybe I can just hack my shit to turn cameras off online too? It still sucks that they are so long though.
RIP SPOR 11/24/11 NEVAR FORGET
MarlieChurphy
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
United States2065 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-15 06:43:55
July 15 2014 06:13 GMT
#8857
Anyway. here are a bunch of new videos:


Upsets:










Gfinal:


Alternate:
+ Show Spoiler +



G&M EA with MD episode 22 :


Hugo mirror:


Honda lol:



(mike ross needs these last 2 videos)

PS- some balance discussions/videos from Combofiend

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/jul/13/video-capcoms-ultra-street-fighter-4-panel-evo-2014-combofiend-explains-why-buffs-vegas-invincible-ex-st-were-reverted/

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/jul/12/combofiend-ultra-street-fighter-4-balancing-isnt-finished-cites-issues-yun-seth-dee-jay-edition-select-coming-online-update/

As well as a tier list comparison from US / JAP

[image loading]

PS- all evo 2014 results http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/jul/11/evo-2014-live-stream-ft-daigo-xian-infiltration-tokido-justin-wong-pr-balrog-ryan-hart-chrisg-fuudo-filipino-champ-flocker-mango-and-more/
RIP SPOR 11/24/11 NEVAR FORGET
Lolimaiko
Profile Joined February 2011
United States29 Posts
July 15 2014 06:52 GMT
#8858
On July 15 2014 12:10 MarlieChurphy wrote:
I'm sort of surprised that most people are voting 'keep same' on that poll so far.

Can someone please make an argument for watching the same cutscene over and over? Maybe I should make a video where all supers are X2 speed to see how they would look.

I also think a lot of the supers are just ridiculous and silly. For example Hakan's thing where he slides you around his body 10 times, that's just cartoon shit. Or Juri's thing where she bends you back and whispers in your ear, seriously, that's just dumb.


I guess I'll bother with a response.

The clock, like super meter, ultra meter, and real estate positioning on the stage, is a resource players should always keep tabs on. Using ultras as an example, every character who loses a round has had the option to use his/her ultra at least once, so they pretty much have access to this one mega powerful move all the time. Using your example of Zangief's Final Atomic buster, it's one of the more damaging Ultras in the game. In addition, it's also a one frame grab; if you are not jumping during the super-freeze, you're going for a wild ride. The 10 second + animation is there to "balance out" the fast start up and the high damage.

Having your option would completely destroy the risk-reward scenario. I could zone Gief perfectly for 98 seconds, but in the last second he makes a solid read (All good Giefs will close that gap eventually, this isn't Super Turbo any more), and I lose the round. Off of one guess. So now the meta around Gief will revolve around jumping whenever he gets close, which they will respond with correct AAs or Headbutt stun back into Ultra. Some argue Grapplers should have this mechanic. They spend all round maneuvering and dodging through fireballs and eating pokes all day trying to get in, but when they do get in they should be unstoppable. In a way they are; they have undeniably good pressure, and the pay outs are in their favor, but it still allows for some counter play for the defender to push Zangief away and return to neutral.

That's how I see it. The timer is there to have Zangief force something way before the match ends, and the opponent has to work on delaying the game enough so Zangief doesn't have access to this extremely powerful tool.

As for other reasons why animations still exist:

-It gives momentum to the player who lands the ultra, but both characters have a moment to reflect on what the incoming mixup will be. "If he does X, I can do NN. But that can be countered by Y, so I should just do MM; although that can go back to his original option of X". Whatever mind game, psychological pressure happens during those moments, it definitely wouldn't happen if damage became instant.

-It gives the audience time to express their excitement and give them time to digest what's happened. People don't cheer for the animation, they cheer because of the build up that led to the Ultra combo. The ultra is the climax, and the footsies rebuild the tension.

-Lastly. There has to be some kind of impact for landing a 50% damage move. "doo-dee-doo. I'm going to pick you up and slam you on the ground for 50% damage. It doesn't have to look like it's bone-crushingly devastating does it? No? Oh........"

Also knock it off with the condescending language. If you want people to take your rather mis-informed and poorly formed (and wrong) opinion seriously, don't start it off with' mentally disabled' and 'cartoon shit'
.
Susceptible to lolis
aseq
Profile Joined January 2003
Netherlands4020 Posts
July 15 2014 10:08 GMT
#8859
For the ultras that aren't certain to hit (like Abel or Ryu's U1 and many many more), I love that second of tension when the ultra starts. And when watching tournaments, the duration of the ultra is some kind of celebration time. I actually think the pacing during the game is great when the tension is high. If you're practicing, you probably would want it faster. The menus could be faster as well but I don't know for how much of the loading they account.
Noocta
Profile Joined June 2010
France12578 Posts
July 15 2014 13:12 GMT
#8860
Capcom tried to speed up the animation of Hakan's Ultra in USF4 because he has the problem of losing oil during the animation.
But it looked so weird they reversed it.
" I'm not gonna fight you. I'm gonna kick your ass ! "
Prev 1 441 442 443 444 445 668 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings66
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 148
PiLiPiLi 31
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2734
ViBE154
Bale 28
Dota 2
monkeys_forever440
NeuroSwarm217
Counter-Strike
summit1g7239
taco 595
Other Games
JimRising 582
WinterStarcraft306
C9.Mang0281
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick998
BasetradeTV154
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 105
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP101
• poizon28 30
• davetesta28
• practicex 18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1118
• Shiphtur312
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
7h 10m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
9h 10m
AI Arena Tournament
14h 10m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
16h 10m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 7h
Patches Events
1d 12h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 16h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.