• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:07
CEST 06:07
KST 13:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8093 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 97

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 95 96 97 98 99 665 Next
Orpheos
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1663 Posts
November 05 2011 15:20 GMT
#1921
yea... i would stay away from using the SCGs as definitive evidence. those things are mostly a bunch of local randoms, local good people and then a small group of travelers so it really depends on what the people who actually can play magic feel like playing.

I dont think control is the worst thing ever, but i do think that there are so many different attacking angles in this format that unless you can relaly spot on predict the meta and fine tune to it, control wont be as powerful as you want it to be. its easier to just be proactive and then side in some powerful disruption if needed.
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
November 05 2011 15:22 GMT
#1922
On November 06 2011 00:10 Judicator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 06 2011 00:01 deth2munkies wrote:
On November 05 2011 08:40 slyboogie wrote:
Control isn't strong. It's hard to believe anyone thinks it is. Look at SCG Kansas City and The GP in Japan. Not a single control deck in the top 16. Maybe Las Vegas will show us something but you are relying on relatively weak stuff against a diverse and aggressive set of decks. And whoever said Spell Pierce isn't control: I think I get your point but you're trying to be too clever. Is Remand or Daze not control either?

Solar Flare was 4th and 8th in Kansas City, what are you talking about?

I mean I should know, the guy who was piloting the deck just crushed my fucking face with it last night at FNM...


Congrats, 4th and 8th means it's a deck right? Go look at it's match ups against the best decks in standard right now, it's fucking awful. Just because you get smashed by it at FNM means literally nothing.


Solar Flare is still a reasonable deck, so is UW. UB just can't deal with tokens and the like due to lack of board sweepers as point removal isn't quite as valuable. No forms of control are completely dominant in the meta, but they have fairly even matchups against pretty much all the other decks.

The reason you haven't been seeing them in top 8s as much is because everyone and their mom is playing Wolf Run or Tokens, and when you have a couple hundred of each deck with 20-30 or so Solar Flare, the odds are quite stacked against you seeing a bunch of flare at the top.
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
November 05 2011 15:54 GMT
#1923
Regardless of your feelings on the deck, 4th and 8th place is two control decks in the top 8, which is two more than "NOT A SINGLE CONTROL DECK IN THE TOP 16."

GP Hiroshima had a Solar Flare deck in top 8 (top 4, even), and two UB Control lists in top 16. But who's counting? (I am)
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
November 05 2011 15:59 GMT
#1924
On November 06 2011 00:22 deth2munkies wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 06 2011 00:10 Judicator wrote:
On November 06 2011 00:01 deth2munkies wrote:
On November 05 2011 08:40 slyboogie wrote:
Control isn't strong. It's hard to believe anyone thinks it is. Look at SCG Kansas City and The GP in Japan. Not a single control deck in the top 16. Maybe Las Vegas will show us something but you are relying on relatively weak stuff against a diverse and aggressive set of decks. And whoever said Spell Pierce isn't control: I think I get your point but you're trying to be too clever. Is Remand or Daze not control either?

Solar Flare was 4th and 8th in Kansas City, what are you talking about?

I mean I should know, the guy who was piloting the deck just crushed my fucking face with it last night at FNM...


Congrats, 4th and 8th means it's a deck right? Go look at it's match ups against the best decks in standard right now, it's fucking awful. Just because you get smashed by it at FNM means literally nothing.


Solar Flare is still a reasonable deck, so is UW. UB just can't deal with tokens and the like due to lack of board sweepers as point removal isn't quite as valuable. No forms of control are completely dominant in the meta, but they have fairly even matchups against pretty much all the other decks.

The reason you haven't been seeing them in top 8s as much is because everyone and their mom is playing Wolf Run or Tokens, and when you have a couple hundred of each deck with 20-30 or so Solar Flare, the odds are quite stacked against you seeing a bunch of flare at the top.


HMMM? Flare losing to the best decks in T2 means it won't be seeing T8 as often? What are the odds on that? If you are a good player, and have a good deck tuned against the meta, you'll top 8 at the very least unless you just have bad beats all fucking day in which case you probably weren't a good player in the first place. The deck density has very little to do with how many reaches top 8. Take Valakut for example or an alternative example in UB control, or more recently Travis Woo's little concoction.

When Wolf-run came out the week before States, I was worried as a Flare player that I was going to lose to it. Instead I go 4-0 against it because people don't know how to run it at all and it barely cracked top 8 despite being the most popular deck there hands down. Same went for mono-red.

Tell me what Flare match ups are right now. If you can't then you haven't tested and are just speaking out of your imagination based on what you think the match ups are based on articles and match vids. Yeah it's so reasonable when the other decks just flies over you, hexproofs through you (tapping out on 4 for a day is the stupidest thing in existence right now for control), tramples through you.

Before you or anyone else attempts to bring up the, you're supposed to sculpt your hand bullshit, yeah, that's assuming I have Forbiddens, can play said Forbidden and said Forbidden nets me exactly what I need and evens out the tempo advantage they gain when the next turn they can easily throw another threat that I have to answer. If the control player can actually regain control of the board, then sure, it's fine, but getting to that point right now is so brutal because notice all the other decks' starting 7 is almost always better at face value than your starting 7. Sure you have Alchemies and Think Twices, but those don't necessarily get you there and if you get into a top deck situation, chances are their top deck is better than yours.
Get it by your hands...
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
November 05 2011 16:42 GMT
#1925
On November 06 2011 00:54 MCMcEmcee wrote:
Regardless of your feelings on the deck, 4th and 8th place is two control decks in the top 8, which is two more than "NOT A SINGLE CONTROL DECK IN THE TOP 16."

GP Hiroshima had a Solar Flare deck in top 8 (top 4, even), and two UB Control lists in top 16. But who's counting? (I am)


Okay, a couple of things. That Solar Flare deck from Hiroshima is freaking mislabled. That's not Solar Flare. That's Esper Control or, if Solar Flare Players want in - NeoSolarFlare. So fine, a top 8.

Solar Flare in general isn't traditional "Control." It's more like a combo deck, looking to go off, at least in my opinion.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
November 05 2011 18:09 GMT
#1926
On November 06 2011 00:59 Judicator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 06 2011 00:22 deth2munkies wrote:
On November 06 2011 00:10 Judicator wrote:
On November 06 2011 00:01 deth2munkies wrote:
On November 05 2011 08:40 slyboogie wrote:
Control isn't strong. It's hard to believe anyone thinks it is. Look at SCG Kansas City and The GP in Japan. Not a single control deck in the top 16. Maybe Las Vegas will show us something but you are relying on relatively weak stuff against a diverse and aggressive set of decks. And whoever said Spell Pierce isn't control: I think I get your point but you're trying to be too clever. Is Remand or Daze not control either?

Solar Flare was 4th and 8th in Kansas City, what are you talking about?

I mean I should know, the guy who was piloting the deck just crushed my fucking face with it last night at FNM...


Congrats, 4th and 8th means it's a deck right? Go look at it's match ups against the best decks in standard right now, it's fucking awful. Just because you get smashed by it at FNM means literally nothing.


Solar Flare is still a reasonable deck, so is UW. UB just can't deal with tokens and the like due to lack of board sweepers as point removal isn't quite as valuable. No forms of control are completely dominant in the meta, but they have fairly even matchups against pretty much all the other decks.

The reason you haven't been seeing them in top 8s as much is because everyone and their mom is playing Wolf Run or Tokens, and when you have a couple hundred of each deck with 20-30 or so Solar Flare, the odds are quite stacked against you seeing a bunch of flare at the top.


HMMM? Flare losing to the best decks in T2 means it won't be seeing T8 as often? What are the odds on that? If you are a good player, and have a good deck tuned against the meta, you'll top 8 at the very least unless you just have bad beats all fucking day in which case you probably weren't a good player in the first place. The deck density has very little to do with how many reaches top 8. Take Valakut for example or an alternative example in UB control, or more recently Travis Woo's little concoction.

When Wolf-run came out the week before States, I was worried as a Flare player that I was going to lose to it. Instead I go 4-0 against it because people don't know how to run it at all and it barely cracked top 8 despite being the most popular deck there hands down. Same went for mono-red.

Tell me what Flare match ups are right now. If you can't then you haven't tested and are just speaking out of your imagination based on what you think the match ups are based on articles and match vids. Yeah it's so reasonable when the other decks just flies over you, hexproofs through you (tapping out on 4 for a day is the stupidest thing in existence right now for control), tramples through you.

Before you or anyone else attempts to bring up the, you're supposed to sculpt your hand bullshit, yeah, that's assuming I have Forbiddens, can play said Forbidden and said Forbidden nets me exactly what I need and evens out the tempo advantage they gain when the next turn they can easily throw another threat that I have to answer. If the control player can actually regain control of the board, then sure, it's fine, but getting to that point right now is so brutal because notice all the other decks' starting 7 is almost always better at face value than your starting 7. Sure you have Alchemies and Think Twices, but those don't necessarily get you there and if you get into a top deck situation, chances are their top deck is better than yours.


What I'm saying is that tournament magic is about 60% preparation, 20% skill, and 20% luck. So if there were 100 Tokens, 100 Wolf runs, and 20 solar flares/esper control, and, for the sake of argument, all the matchups are 50/50, then the odds you will have even 1 solar flare/esper control deck in the top 8 is very slim. It's just pure numbers.

The deck I run is not as much a controlling version of Solar Flare as it is attempting to mill myself as fast as possible to reanimate huge fatties with limited countermagic and removal for protection. The downside to this build is a much larger weakness to aggro decks (especially red decks). I have a positive record against UW humans, and a slightly negative one against UG humans and I still haven't won a match against red. That said, the aforementioned loss to Dave Thomas was the only time I have lost a match to a strict control deck.

I can't comment directly on the matchup from experience, I can't afford the snapcaster mages and multiple lilianas necessary to make esper control/traditional flare/UB/UW control. I can, however, comment on the fact that the Esper shell is DEFINITELY a viable archetype even against tokens and wolf run. Facing these decks is not a matchup loss, but you definitely don't have an overwhelming advantage either.

I, personally, don't think there is a format-defining deck quite yet, but that Control is still completely viable and may end up being one of the dominant archetypes once more people figure it out.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
November 05 2011 19:24 GMT
#1927
On November 06 2011 03:09 deth2munkies wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 06 2011 00:59 Judicator wrote:
On November 06 2011 00:22 deth2munkies wrote:
On November 06 2011 00:10 Judicator wrote:
On November 06 2011 00:01 deth2munkies wrote:
On November 05 2011 08:40 slyboogie wrote:
Control isn't strong. It's hard to believe anyone thinks it is. Look at SCG Kansas City and The GP in Japan. Not a single control deck in the top 16. Maybe Las Vegas will show us something but you are relying on relatively weak stuff against a diverse and aggressive set of decks. And whoever said Spell Pierce isn't control: I think I get your point but you're trying to be too clever. Is Remand or Daze not control either?

Solar Flare was 4th and 8th in Kansas City, what are you talking about?

I mean I should know, the guy who was piloting the deck just crushed my fucking face with it last night at FNM...


Congrats, 4th and 8th means it's a deck right? Go look at it's match ups against the best decks in standard right now, it's fucking awful. Just because you get smashed by it at FNM means literally nothing.


Solar Flare is still a reasonable deck, so is UW. UB just can't deal with tokens and the like due to lack of board sweepers as point removal isn't quite as valuable. No forms of control are completely dominant in the meta, but they have fairly even matchups against pretty much all the other decks.

The reason you haven't been seeing them in top 8s as much is because everyone and their mom is playing Wolf Run or Tokens, and when you have a couple hundred of each deck with 20-30 or so Solar Flare, the odds are quite stacked against you seeing a bunch of flare at the top.


HMMM? Flare losing to the best decks in T2 means it won't be seeing T8 as often? What are the odds on that? If you are a good player, and have a good deck tuned against the meta, you'll top 8 at the very least unless you just have bad beats all fucking day in which case you probably weren't a good player in the first place. The deck density has very little to do with how many reaches top 8. Take Valakut for example or an alternative example in UB control, or more recently Travis Woo's little concoction.

When Wolf-run came out the week before States, I was worried as a Flare player that I was going to lose to it. Instead I go 4-0 against it because people don't know how to run it at all and it barely cracked top 8 despite being the most popular deck there hands down. Same went for mono-red.

Tell me what Flare match ups are right now. If you can't then you haven't tested and are just speaking out of your imagination based on what you think the match ups are based on articles and match vids. Yeah it's so reasonable when the other decks just flies over you, hexproofs through you (tapping out on 4 for a day is the stupidest thing in existence right now for control), tramples through you.

Before you or anyone else attempts to bring up the, you're supposed to sculpt your hand bullshit, yeah, that's assuming I have Forbiddens, can play said Forbidden and said Forbidden nets me exactly what I need and evens out the tempo advantage they gain when the next turn they can easily throw another threat that I have to answer. If the control player can actually regain control of the board, then sure, it's fine, but getting to that point right now is so brutal because notice all the other decks' starting 7 is almost always better at face value than your starting 7. Sure you have Alchemies and Think Twices, but those don't necessarily get you there and if you get into a top deck situation, chances are their top deck is better than yours.


What I'm saying is that tournament magic is about 60% preparation, 20% skill, and 20% luck. So if there were 100 Tokens, 100 Wolf runs, and 20 solar flares/esper control, and, for the sake of argument, all the matchups are 50/50, then the odds you will have even 1 solar flare/esper control deck in the top 8 is very slim. It's just pure numbers.

The deck I run is not as much a controlling version of Solar Flare as it is attempting to mill myself as fast as possible to reanimate huge fatties with limited countermagic and removal for protection. The downside to this build is a much larger weakness to aggro decks (especially red decks). I have a positive record against UW humans, and a slightly negative one against UG humans and I still haven't won a match against red. That said, the aforementioned loss to Dave Thomas was the only time I have lost a match to a strict control deck.

I can't comment directly on the matchup from experience, I can't afford the snapcaster mages and multiple lilianas necessary to make esper control/traditional flare/UB/UW control. I can, however, comment on the fact that the Esper shell is DEFINITELY a viable archetype even against tokens and wolf run. Facing these decks is not a matchup loss, but you definitely don't have an overwhelming advantage either.

I, personally, don't think there is a format-defining deck quite yet, but that Control is still completely viable and may end up being one of the dominant archetypes once more people figure it out.


Look, you can pretend like that matters, but it's not that case because you are assuming the pilots of those decks are all competent.

Since you haven't played the standard deck in question, please refrain from thinking as such. There's a reason why Solar Flare right now is definitely tier 2.
Get it by your hands...
captainwaffles
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States1050 Posts
November 05 2011 22:46 GMT
#1928
Hi, I've been playing for about 2 months now, and I would like some feedback on this deck that I am making (I have most of the cards, this is just, what I think, it the most refined version of it)

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/greenbeats-1/

I don't know it it matters or not, but this is for the card game, not online... just throwing that out there.
https://x.com/CaptainWaffless
bumatlarge
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States4567 Posts
November 06 2011 02:33 GMT
#1929
On November 06 2011 07:46 captainwaffles wrote:
Hi, I've been playing for about 2 months now, and I would like some feedback on this deck that I am making (I have most of the cards, this is just, what I think, it the most refined version of it)

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/greenbeats-1/

I don't know it it matters or not, but this is for the card game, not online... just throwing that out there.


Consider splashing the red for Wolf run, it isn't that expensive yet, and you don't lose out more then you gain for dungrove. I guess if you only have 2 primevals it might be an issue, but you seem to have access to 3 GSZs.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=935316

For reference of a WolfRunGreen
Together but separate, like oatmeal
dignity
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada908 Posts
November 06 2011 02:52 GMT
#1930
If it is a casual deck its fine. There would be a few flaws with the deck if you intend for it to be competitive.
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
November 06 2011 03:11 GMT
#1931
Hmmm...my next brew (once I'm done with the paper I should be writing right now) is definitely going to be Splicers + Shape Anew based. I think with Intangible Virtue and Master Splicers you can win outright with the golems regardless of the combo, and blue gives it access to dig in the form of Think Twice/Alchemy and probably a bit of limited countermagic (Mana leaks main and negates or flashfreezes in the board). O-rings and maybe 1-2 days should give you enough time to set up the combo and/or a legion of first striking, flying, (maybe) regenerating huge golems.

I think UW is probably the build, although Bant may have it's advantages, like I said, still figuring it out.

And for those of you who don't know the combo:

Shape Anew + lots of artifact token makers that aren't artifacts (Splicers, Master's Call) + Singleton Blightsteel Colossus = T3/4 Blightsteel (potentially).
dignity
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada908 Posts
November 06 2011 03:25 GMT
#1932
Tempered tokens you say?

I thought of that myself but there's just no fast way to get enough artifact tokens fast enough to justify it.
RoosterSamurai
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Japan2108 Posts
November 06 2011 03:28 GMT
#1933
On November 06 2011 12:25 dignity wrote:
Tempered tokens you say?

I thought of that myself but there's just no fast way to get enough artifact tokens fast enough to justify it.

Ratchet bomb would be trouble for that concept anyway, it sounds like.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
November 06 2011 03:33 GMT
#1934
On November 06 2011 12:11 deth2munkies wrote:
Hmmm...my next brew (once I'm done with the paper I should be writing right now) is definitely going to be Splicers + Shape Anew based. I think with Intangible Virtue and Master Splicers you can win outright with the golems regardless of the combo, and blue gives it access to dig in the form of Think Twice/Alchemy and probably a bit of limited countermagic (Mana leaks main and negates or flashfreezes in the board). O-rings and maybe 1-2 days should give you enough time to set up the combo and/or a legion of first striking, flying, (maybe) regenerating huge golems.

I think UW is probably the build, although Bant may have it's advantages, like I said, still figuring it out.

And for those of you who don't know the combo:

Shape Anew + lots of artifact token makers that aren't artifacts (Splicers, Master's Call) + Singleton Blightsteel Colossus = T3/4 Blightsteel (potentially).


You'll find the play lines for that deck to be pretty terrible.
Get it by your hands...
captainwaffles
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States1050 Posts
November 06 2011 03:52 GMT
#1935
On November 06 2011 11:52 dignity wrote:
If it is a casual deck its fine. There would be a few flaws with the deck if you intend for it to be competitive.


What flaws?
https://x.com/CaptainWaffless
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
November 06 2011 04:40 GMT
#1936
Overrun will be useless, you have no ways of interacting with Planeswalkers outside of Beast Withins which opens you up easily to O-Ring and Sword plays from turns 2 to 5. Then you have to worry about Planeswalkers on 3 to 5.

No Swords means you actually can't pressure control decks. No Wolf-Run or Garruks means you lose in any mirrors.

But like dignity said, if it's casual, its fine.
Get it by your hands...
captainwaffles
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States1050 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-06 05:27:10
November 06 2011 05:24 GMT
#1937
On November 06 2011 13:40 Judicator wrote:
Overrun will be useless, you have no ways of interacting with Planeswalkers outside of Beast Withins which opens you up easily to O-Ring and Sword plays from turns 2 to 5. Then you have to worry about Planeswalkers on 3 to 5.

No Swords means you actually can't pressure control decks. No Wolf-Run or Garruks means you lose in any mirrors.

But like dignity said, if it's casual, its fine.


Why would overrun be useless? I haven't played in any events, but I have played people who do play in events and I take games off them, usually when I draw Overrun I just win.

Why are the swords the only way to pressure control decks? What about my hexproof creatures like thrun and dungrove? or ascetism? (I've been playing for about 2 months, go easy on me lol)

I do have a Garruk Primal Hunter but I took him out because I only have one of him, and he gets targeted and taken down pretty easily.

The wolf runs seem to be really good, and just what I need, a Dungrove with trample would be the best.

EDIT- Its all casual right now, I am still learning the game, but I do want to be able to beat good players with good decks (relatively speaking at the local level). So eventually (several months from now) I will want to compete in tourneys. with the intent to win, right now I just do the drafts or FNM for fun. Wow I just said a whole lot without saying anything... basically I want a tourney quality deck.
https://x.com/CaptainWaffless
dignity
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada908 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-06 05:58:32
November 06 2011 05:57 GMT
#1938
On November 06 2011 14:24 captainwaffles wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 06 2011 13:40 Judicator wrote:
Overrun will be useless, you have no ways of interacting with Planeswalkers outside of Beast Withins which opens you up easily to O-Ring and Sword plays from turns 2 to 5. Then you have to worry about Planeswalkers on 3 to 5.

No Swords means you actually can't pressure control decks. No Wolf-Run or Garruks means you lose in any mirrors.

But like dignity said, if it's casual, its fine.


Why would overrun be useless? I haven't played in any events, but I have played people who do play in events and I take games off them, usually when I draw Overrun I just win.

Why are the swords the only way to pressure control decks? What about my hexproof creatures like thrun and dungrove? or ascetism? (I've been playing for about 2 months, go easy on me lol)

I do have a Garruk Primal Hunter but I took him out because I only have one of him, and he gets targeted and taken down pretty easily.

The wolf runs seem to be really good, and just what I need, a Dungrove with trample would be the best.

EDIT- Its all casual right now, I am still learning the game, but I do want to be able to beat good players with good decks (relatively speaking at the local level). So eventually (several months from now) I will want to compete in tourneys. with the intent to win, right now I just do the drafts or FNM for fun. Wow I just said a whole lot without saying anything... basically I want a tourney quality deck.


Overrun is only really useful when you have a lot of little guys and if you can resolve it. Against an aggro deck you should win and so would not need overrun. Against a control deck if you manage to resolve it the control player did something wrong.

You simply NEED swords to pressure. Reason being is that control decks will not let many creatures come out for you, and quite frankly having only thrun resolve when they will be siding in sword of feast and famine against a monogreen deck wont do anything. They can both block thrun all day, and walk right by him when attacking. The same can be said for body and mind. You need to make the most out of your creatures against control decks, and so equipment is needed. It just happens that swords are the best equipment.

Asceticism once again does nothing for your creatures being countered and should not be able to resolve against a control deck anyways. Against aggro its just useless.

Garruk, Primal hunter, even one of him, would make your deck much better. It doesn't matter that he gets focused down since most of the time you should be using him to draw cards. Also, if they focus him, they are not focusing you or your creatures.
captainwaffles
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States1050 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-06 06:08:02
November 06 2011 06:06 GMT
#1939
On November 06 2011 14:57 dignity wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 06 2011 14:24 captainwaffles wrote:
On November 06 2011 13:40 Judicator wrote:
Overrun will be useless, you have no ways of interacting with Planeswalkers outside of Beast Withins which opens you up easily to O-Ring and Sword plays from turns 2 to 5. Then you have to worry about Planeswalkers on 3 to 5.

No Swords means you actually can't pressure control decks. No Wolf-Run or Garruks means you lose in any mirrors.

But like dignity said, if it's casual, its fine.


Why would overrun be useless? I haven't played in any events, but I have played people who do play in events and I take games off them, usually when I draw Overrun I just win.

Why are the swords the only way to pressure control decks? What about my hexproof creatures like thrun and dungrove? or ascetism? (I've been playing for about 2 months, go easy on me lol)

I do have a Garruk Primal Hunter but I took him out because I only have one of him, and he gets targeted and taken down pretty easily.

The wolf runs seem to be really good, and just what I need, a Dungrove with trample would be the best.

EDIT- Its all casual right now, I am still learning the game, but I do want to be able to beat good players with good decks (relatively speaking at the local level). So eventually (several months from now) I will want to compete in tourneys. with the intent to win, right now I just do the drafts or FNM for fun. Wow I just said a whole lot without saying anything... basically I want a tourney quality deck.


Overrun is only really useful when you have a lot of little guys and if you can resolve it. Against an aggro deck you should win and so would not need overrun. Against a control deck if you manage to resolve it the control player did something wrong.

You simply NEED swords to pressure. Reason being is that control decks will not let many creatures come out for you, and quite frankly having only thrun resolve when they will be siding in sword of feast and famine against a monogreen deck wont do anything. They can both block thrun all day, and walk right by him when attacking. The same can be said for body and mind. You need to make the most out of your creatures against control decks, and so equipment is needed. It just happens that swords are the best equipment.

Asceticism once again does nothing for your creatures being countered and should not be able to resolve against a control deck anyways. Against aggro its just useless.

Garruk, Primal hunter, even one of him, would make your deck much better. It doesn't matter that he gets focused down since most of the time you should be using him to draw cards. Also, if they focus him, they are not focusing you or your creatures.


I thank you for your insights sir, they are most useful :D

EDIT- which swords? just found out there are several different cards.
https://x.com/CaptainWaffless
RoosterSamurai
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Japan2108 Posts
November 06 2011 06:17 GMT
#1940
On November 06 2011 15:06 captainwaffles wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 06 2011 14:57 dignity wrote:
On November 06 2011 14:24 captainwaffles wrote:
On November 06 2011 13:40 Judicator wrote:
Overrun will be useless, you have no ways of interacting with Planeswalkers outside of Beast Withins which opens you up easily to O-Ring and Sword plays from turns 2 to 5. Then you have to worry about Planeswalkers on 3 to 5.

No Swords means you actually can't pressure control decks. No Wolf-Run or Garruks means you lose in any mirrors.

But like dignity said, if it's casual, its fine.


Why would overrun be useless? I haven't played in any events, but I have played people who do play in events and I take games off them, usually when I draw Overrun I just win.

Why are the swords the only way to pressure control decks? What about my hexproof creatures like thrun and dungrove? or ascetism? (I've been playing for about 2 months, go easy on me lol)

I do have a Garruk Primal Hunter but I took him out because I only have one of him, and he gets targeted and taken down pretty easily.

The wolf runs seem to be really good, and just what I need, a Dungrove with trample would be the best.

EDIT- Its all casual right now, I am still learning the game, but I do want to be able to beat good players with good decks (relatively speaking at the local level). So eventually (several months from now) I will want to compete in tourneys. with the intent to win, right now I just do the drafts or FNM for fun. Wow I just said a whole lot without saying anything... basically I want a tourney quality deck.


Overrun is only really useful when you have a lot of little guys and if you can resolve it. Against an aggro deck you should win and so would not need overrun. Against a control deck if you manage to resolve it the control player did something wrong.

You simply NEED swords to pressure. Reason being is that control decks will not let many creatures come out for you, and quite frankly having only thrun resolve when they will be siding in sword of feast and famine against a monogreen deck wont do anything. They can both block thrun all day, and walk right by him when attacking. The same can be said for body and mind. You need to make the most out of your creatures against control decks, and so equipment is needed. It just happens that swords are the best equipment.

Asceticism once again does nothing for your creatures being countered and should not be able to resolve against a control deck anyways. Against aggro its just useless.

Garruk, Primal hunter, even one of him, would make your deck much better. It doesn't matter that he gets focused down since most of the time you should be using him to draw cards. Also, if they focus him, they are not focusing you or your creatures.


I thank you for your insights sir, they are most useful :D

EDIT- which swords? just found out there are several different cards.

Sword of feast and famine, sword of war and peace, or sword of body and mind.
Prev 1 95 96 97 98 99 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft285
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta78
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft487
PiGStarcraft285
RuFF_SC2 205
SpeCial 82
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 72
Hyuk 51
Stork 41
Bale 15
Icarus 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm186
Counter-Strike
taco 427
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox779
C9.Mang0323
Westballz27
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor625
Other Games
summit1g9678
Coldzera 806
JimRising 606
Sick118
ViBE76
ArmadaUGS38
Liquid`Ken7
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick758
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream107
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 106
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota240
League of Legends
• Lourlo1081
• Stunt305
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
5h 53m
Online Event
6h 53m
FEL
11h 53m
AI Arena Tournament
12h 53m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
14h 53m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
INu's Battles
1d 7h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.