• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:16
CEST 10:16
KST 17:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)31Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9300 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 590

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 588 589 590 591 592 665 Next
WaveofShadow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada31495 Posts
January 19 2015 07:13 GMT
#11781
Boogie just ate a fucking Jeskai Ascendancy.
lol.
twitch.tv/waveofshadow ||| Winner of AHGL's So You Think You Can Cast! ||| Juicy Dad for lyfe ||| 'idk i get a kick out of stupid things' - Jarms Yarng
.AK
Profile Joined September 2010
United States561 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-19 16:52:22
January 19 2015 16:48 GMT
#11782
So bans came out. In short:

Cruise, Dig, Pod banned in Modern
Cruise banned in Legacy. Worldgorger Dragon unbanned.
Cruise is restricted in Vintage. Gifts Ungiven unrestricted.

read more: magic.wizards.com


I would love to hear your guys' thoughts on it. I don't play Modern (where we see the most) but damn that seems like it shift the meta quite a bit.

EDIT: I woke up at 2:00 AM, spelling is hard.
All hail the glorious I sell T.Vs at Best Buy || #1 REQUIZEN FANBOI || IGN: .AK/BEST ANTIMAGE NA || Plat IV ADC Main
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
January 19 2015 16:50 GMT
#11783
You managed to spell cruise 3 different ways...

That pod ban is a big deal. Lol Worldgorger unbanned as if anybody cared.
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-19 16:53:38
January 19 2015 16:52 GMT
#11784
Did they just make the format even more stale? Maybe there's some wacky WGD manifest games.
Get it by your hands...
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
January 19 2015 16:54 GMT
#11785
I heard a lot about ascendancy being unplayable without cruise/dig, but I'm curious to see if anybody can make a strong build of it post-bans.
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
January 19 2015 17:10 GMT
#11786
On January 20 2015 01:48 .AK wrote:
So bans came out. In short:

Cruise, Dig, Pod banned in Modern
Cruise banned in Legacy. Worldgorger Dragon unbanned.
Cruise is restricted in Vintage. Gifts Ungiven unrestricted.

read more: magic.wizards.com


I would love to hear your guys' thoughts on it. I don't play Modern (where we see the most) but damn that seems like it shift the meta quite a bit.

EDIT: I woke up at 2:00 AM, spelling is hard.


Good bans imo. Banning the delve card or pod itself would have pushed the meta game in one direction or the other. This pushes the meta game back to a junk midrange meta where it's easier to punish.

Overall I'm happy. Although I also would have been happy if all three had been kept legal. I would have been upset if the delve cards had been banned or if pod had been banned.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Kinie
Profile Joined December 2011
United States3106 Posts
January 19 2015 18:02 GMT
#11787
On January 20 2015 01:48 .AK wrote:
So bans came out. In short:

Cruise, Dig, Pod banned in Modern
Cruise banned in Legacy. Worldgorger Dragon unbanned.
Cruise is restricted in Vintage. Gifts Ungiven unrestricted.

read more: magic.wizards.com


I would love to hear your guys' thoughts on it. I don't play Modern (where we see the most) but damn that seems like it shift the meta quite a bit.

EDIT: I woke up at 2:00 AM, spelling is hard.


You forgot to mention that Golgari Grave-Troll is unbanned in Modern.

As someone who was looking to invest into Modern, this wave of bannings just made me lose all desire to play it. I understand why Birthing Pod (the deck I was going to build) was always at risk of being banned (repeatable tutor effect) but it wasn't as though it was an auto-win deck.

The reason Pod was winning so much (their reason for banning it) was because of a large enough toolbox in terms of creatures that they could have a reasonable sideboard game against just about any deck in the field, and rewarded players who spent the time to tune the deck and learn all its iterations for Pod targets.

They banned Pod because creatures are getting too good/strong.

Now, I'll admit I'm still going to play Magic but only on a casual level, I doubt I'll ever play in a competitive REL (non FNM) event after this.

I won't invest into Standard, now that we're going to see that format rotate every 12 months. They've proven more than willing to drop the banhammer in Modern, so why play a format where I could literally be banned out of the format every 3 months. Legacy and Vintage have too much of a barrier cost to entry, and with there being a good chance of Legacy dying down soon (within the next couple years) I wouldn't get much out of playing it.

I was honestly hoping that they'd make Modern more like Legacy (in terms of power level) by keeping things as-is or unbanning some more stuff. But their firm, liberal use of the banhammer on anything that's "too good" means that any tier 1 deck has to be feared of getting banned from here on out.
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
January 19 2015 19:50 GMT
#11788
Creatures should be strong, or else there's no reason to play them. Magic is in a hellish state when the best decks play 8 or less creatures. Creature combat is what makes strategy work, without it, you're just guessing what's in their hand. No matter how educated the guess, it isn't a substitute for navigating a field of information. For all its faults, Torment/Urza block draft are some of my favorite formats because they involve difficult boardstates with creatures.
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
January 19 2015 19:58 GMT
#11789
I didn't think wizards could find a way to make modern even less appealing but they did it.

I strongly disagree with the "creatures are necessary for strategy" idea. Figuring out what they could have and what cards matter is great. Planning for big fights on the stack and properly navigating those turns is also great.
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
January 19 2015 20:09 GMT
#11790
On January 20 2015 04:58 MCMcEmcee wrote:
I didn't think wizards could find a way to make modern even less appealing but they did it.

I strongly disagree with the "creatures are necessary for strategy" idea. Figuring out what they could have and what cards matter is great. Planning for big fights on the stack and properly navigating those turns is also great.


Whoever goes for it first loses in 99% of those situations, encouraging draw go, which is incredibly boring to watch and worse to play.
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
January 19 2015 20:13 GMT
#11791
I think it's fun to play. Land-go when both players have 7 cards in hand is way more interesting than land-go when both players have no cards in hand.
Figuring out when to go for it is also an important skill.
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
WindWolf
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Sweden11767 Posts
January 19 2015 20:44 GMT
#11792
Since I only play in limited events and casual constructed ones, I don't have a particular feeling regarding these changes
EZ4ENCE
Risen
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States7927 Posts
January 19 2015 21:04 GMT
#11793
I think dig could have stayed without being too busted, but I could very easily be wrong on that front.

I look forward to the upcoming format. Pod had to go bc it was too strong of a toolbox. T3 finks into T4 rhino was destructive. Their reasoning is decent (future printings would only make pod STRONGER due to more available options) but I feel like they could print stronger SPELLS to balance it out :< BOLD
Pufftrees Everyday>its like a rifter that just used X-Factor/Liquid'Nony: I hope no one lip read XD/Holyflare>it's like policy lynching but better/Resident Los Angeles bachelor
cecek
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Czech Republic18921 Posts
January 19 2015 21:27 GMT
#11794
Pod had to get banned. The deck was getting stronger with each set. Like, literally every set there was at the very least one card that was worth considering running in pod just because of the way the card work. It was just too strong of an engine card, they couldn't keep it in check while still printing new interesting creatures.

As a spectator I'm really excited about the upcoming ptfrf, it should be a lot of fun. I wonder if someone's gonna break grave troll in dredgevine or whatever different deck would play it.
super gg
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
January 19 2015 22:20 GMT
#11795
On January 20 2015 05:13 MCMcEmcee wrote:
I think it's fun to play. Land-go when both players have 7 cards in hand is way more interesting than land-go when both players have no cards in hand.
Figuring out when to go for it is also an important skill.


It's not that hard to figure out, the correct answer is "after your opponent fails to." If you have 7 cards in hand that are relevant, then you don't care how many draw spells he casts, same with him. Never cast a draw spell that leaves you with 1 fewer counterspells available than your opponent could possibly have.

I mean the decision tree is really fucking simple. It's when you're dealing with creature decks and trying to find the best way to deal with each threat and the best time to draw cards, how low you can go, etc. that requires real skill in playing control. And having a control deck in the format makes the format healthy, but they should definitely utilize control creatures (Omenspeaker, Prog Sphinx, etc.) so that it's possible to interact with them short of counterspells and "counter-counterspells" (i.e. God's Willing).
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
January 19 2015 22:29 GMT
#11796
You know, I don't think magic is your game.
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
January 19 2015 22:37 GMT
#11797
Do yall think UR Delver can still be competitive with the Time Walk instead?
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
January 19 2015 22:46 GMT
#11798
On January 20 2015 07:20 deth2munkies wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 20 2015 05:13 MCMcEmcee wrote:
I think it's fun to play. Land-go when both players have 7 cards in hand is way more interesting than land-go when both players have no cards in hand.
Figuring out when to go for it is also an important skill.


It's not that hard to figure out, the correct answer is "after your opponent fails to." If you have 7 cards in hand that are relevant, then you don't care how many draw spells he casts, same with him. Never cast a draw spell that leaves you with 1 fewer counterspells available than your opponent could possibly have.

I mean the decision tree is really fucking simple. It's when you're dealing with creature decks and trying to find the best way to deal with each threat and the best time to draw cards, how low you can go, etc. that requires real skill in playing control. And having a control deck in the format makes the format healthy, but they should definitely utilize control creatures (Omenspeaker, Prog Sphinx, etc.) so that it's possible to interact with them short of counterspells and "counter-counterspells" (i.e. God's Willing).


Umm, its not that simple. After your opponent fails to means what? 7 card relevant spells means what? You are also dealing with a very idealized situation in a format with Thoughtseize. You wait too long and you still lose relevant spells to 1 mana spells.

Also, no the control versus creature deck match up isn't that easy either. Deck building and sideboarding is a big deal, taking tempo is also a big deal, I am interacting with Abzan decks because Nullify beats the Carytid lines so hard. I am interacting with Abzan/Sidisi decks because I held back on my draw spells so they deck themselves first and timed my Perilous Vaults properly. It's not just jam counterspells at threats.

The problem is that skill is fucking hard as fuck to explain to the casual watcher, the casual player, even the FMN grinder, because the decision tree isn't the hard part. The multiple decision trees you have in front of you is the hard part. Like I have watched the best control players play control decks and the way they play, when to let spells through (even when they doesn't have the answer in hand) and when to counter (even when they has an answer in hand), is astounding. So to say its "not hard to figure out" is selling it very short.
Get it by your hands...
MoonBear
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Straight outta Johto18973 Posts
January 19 2015 23:08 GMT
#11799
Welcome to the world of BGx Tarmogoyf wars.
ModeratorA dream. Do you have one that has cursed you like that? Or maybe... a wish?
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
January 19 2015 23:35 GMT
#11800
On January 20 2015 08:08 MoonBear wrote:
Welcome to the world of BGx Tarmogoyf wars Blood Moon.

Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Prev 1 588 589 590 591 592 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech10
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 247
Hyuk 146
910 74
Mong 70
Leta 52
Shinee 49
PianO 40
soO 39
Killer 36
Mind 35
[ Show more ]
Bale 30
Aegong 23
ToSsGirL 18
ZergMaN 15
HiyA 15
sorry 15
League of Legends
JimRising 454
Counter-Strike
ceh9507
shoxiejesuss390
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King227
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1834
Other Games
summit1g8928
olofmeister1046
Happy390
crisheroes245
Sick178
ArmadaUGS111
Livibee103
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick572
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream255
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH148
• LUISG 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2292
League of Legends
• Rush1614
• Jankos996
• Stunt563
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
1h 44m
OSC
4h 44m
Stellar Fest
4h 44m
OSC
15h 44m
Stellar Fest
1d 4h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.