• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:18
CEST 16:18
KST 23:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)56Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9859 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 575

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 573 574 575 576 577 665 Next
Tarias
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Netherlands480 Posts
November 05 2014 15:17 GMT
#11481
I wanted to go, but decided to bite the bullet and get myself a set of volcanic islands to complete my legacy deck instead. So only local tournaments for me the rest of the year xD
Go big, or go home!
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
November 05 2014 22:57 GMT
#11482
On November 04 2014 03:30 .AK wrote:
Speaking of which, how did TLers do at SCGOak? I brought a very different list then the one above and dropped in the main event early but I ended up winning a qualifier the next day and got a cool playmat and 10 packs (one of which included a foil Foothills) so overall it wasn't too bad.


Got 35th in the Legacy event with a pure GW maverick list.

Lost to: Reanimator, 4Color delver, and Belcher
Beat: 2x UR Delver, RUG Delver, Jeskai Stoneblade, and Miracles
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
November 07 2014 03:37 GMT
#11483
congrats on the finish!
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
November 07 2014 17:32 GMT
#11484
On November 07 2014 12:37 Whole wrote:
congrats on the finish!


I was 33rd in round 7 (of 8) and I was paired against belcher... Got my loss and missed my chance at top 32 or better.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
November 07 2014 17:41 GMT
#11485
The fat pack box containing my Roon commander deck (~$200), Modern Merfolk deck (more than that), all my dice, and half of an Omnath deck including every Garruk ever printed (except Apex Predator) has disappeared.

I don't think I want to play this game anymore.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
November 07 2014 17:54 GMT
#11486
Did you lose it at an event or did you just misplace it?
Get it by your hands...
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
November 07 2014 18:01 GMT
#11487
On November 08 2014 02:54 Judicator wrote:
Did you lose it at an event or did you just misplace it?


I last had it at the prerelease, don't know if it made it home or not, I had a large bag of stuff with multiple boxes with me. Was going to play commander this weekend and now I've called the store and tossed my apartment and car, assuming either someone took it or I left it in a weird place in the store.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
November 07 2014 19:00 GMT
#11488
On November 08 2014 02:41 deth2munkies wrote:
The fat pack box containing my Roon commander deck (~$200), Modern Merfolk deck (more than that), all my dice, and half of an Omnath deck including every Garruk ever printed (except Apex Predator) has disappeared.

I don't think I want to play this game anymore.

I hope you find it.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
November 07 2014 19:11 GMT
#11489
=[ hope you track it down

Super tilted at not being able to go to GP NJ. At least there's an in-state GP this month...
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
November 07 2014 19:21 GMT
#11490
On November 08 2014 04:11 MCMcEmcee wrote:
=[ hope you track it down

Super tilted at not being able to go to GP NJ. At least there's an in-state GP this month...


You guys doing the SCG Open in Jan/Feb? It's in town so I assume so.
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
November 07 2014 19:54 GMT
#11491
I'd assume the whole crew is going. Then again I have yet to play in a single Houston PTQ.
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
BallinWitStalin
Profile Joined July 2008
1177 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-07 21:05:27
November 07 2014 21:01 GMT
#11492
Hey guys,

I've got a few friends who casually play magic, and I thought that doing a limited-style tournament amongst them might be a decent way to get them more into the game.

I was thinking of trying to convince them to split the cost of a box of Khans, and do a limited round-rbin event based off of that. The two options I figured would work best would be to do either a six-man draft (we'd struggle to get eight people), or a five-man sealed event.

If we do the sealed event, we could each get six packs, and have 6 packs left-over for prizes (maybe four to first place, 2 to second?). This way, everyone gets relatively cheap boosters and there's still a prize incentive.

If we do a draft, we'd only use 18 packs. We could easily split the remaining packs as prizes. I was thinking of suggesting a 5,4,3,3,2,1 distribution, so that everyone gets at least one more pack since the whole purpose is to try to encourage people to play more, and who doesn't like opening packs? The only problem with this is that working it out cost-wise, the person who places last ends up paying around 4.3 bucks per booster, which is kind of expensive and not great for that person. The person who places 5th will pay around 3.5 bucks per booster, which is perfectly fine, so I think the rest of that distribution is okay. To fix it, maybe the prize pack distribution could be changed to 4,4,3,3,2,2, or maybe 5,4,3,2,2,2. I'm pretty noob myself, especially in limited, but I suspect I would be able to place pretty high in this little tournament, and I really don't want to take advantage of the situation to skew the "prize pool" in my favour, so maybe the 4,4,3,3,2,2 distribution might be best. I'm just trying to get them more into the game, after all!


Out of those scenarios, what do you guys think would be best, considering that the goal of this event isn't to "win", per se, but to encourage more play and investment into the game? There's sealed vs. booster draft, and then in the case of booster draft, the best prize distribution.

What do you guys think?

Edit: all of these friends already have decks and cards. About half of them have "decent" decks, but the other half could probably use a bit of work. It's a pretty casual crowd overall
I await the reminiscent nerd chills I will get when I hear a Korean broadcaster yell "WEEAAAAVVVVVUUUHHH" while watching Dota
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-07 21:08:50
November 07 2014 21:08 GMT
#11493
You could do a (I forget what the format's called) where you basically start like sealed, but each week you add one booster to your pool. Admittedly thats a bit of a more long-term thing rather than a specific tournament.

That way it's almost like a league, you could get a lot of play time out of a limited amount of packs etc, and players learn about progressively expanding collections and improving decks.

I'd shy away from "prizes" except maybe only in the barest sense of the term. Obviously the less experienced players aren't going to win and they shouldn't feel like they are subsidizing your pack purchases

Either way I think sealed is probably better since you can discuss sealed pools much easier than drafts with newer players, and they don't have to make choices about passing money cards etc.

E: oh i may have underestimated the experience of ur friends
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
November 07 2014 21:21 GMT
#11494
Sealed is probably better. Draft can get overwhelming. In sealed, everyone can discuss their builds and even switch decks mid tournament
BallinWitStalin
Profile Joined July 2008
1177 Posts
November 07 2014 21:25 GMT
#11495
On November 08 2014 06:08 Sn0_Man wrote:
You could do a (I forget what the format's called) where you basically start like sealed, but each week you add one booster to your pool. Admittedly thats a bit of a more long-term thing rather than a specific tournament.

That way it's almost like a league, you could get a lot of play time out of a limited amount of packs etc, and players learn about progressively expanding collections and improving decks.

I'd shy away from "prizes" except maybe only in the barest sense of the term. Obviously the less experienced players aren't going to win and they shouldn't feel like they are subsidizing your pack purchases

Either way I think sealed is probably better since you can discuss sealed pools much easier than drafts with newer players, and they don't have to make choices about passing money cards etc.

E: oh i may have underestimated the experience of ur friends


Yeah, this is 100% what I want to avoid at all costs.

Maybe if we do sealed, we could do a "prize" pool of 2,2,1,1, which would be pretty egalitarian while still encouraging a prize incentive.
I await the reminiscent nerd chills I will get when I hear a Korean broadcaster yell "WEEAAAAVVVVVUUUHHH" while watching Dota
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
November 07 2014 21:26 GMT
#11496
I'd hesitate to use the packs as prizes unless your friends are really mature and cool with the idea. The more even the distribution the better probably
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
November 07 2014 21:27 GMT
#11497
You could also try 7 pack sealed for funsies, top 2 finishers get an extra pack "prize" (lol).

Although it might be hard to build 7 pack sealed actually lol
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
BallinWitStalin
Profile Joined July 2008
1177 Posts
November 07 2014 21:40 GMT
#11498
On November 08 2014 06:27 Sn0_Man wrote:
You could also try 7 pack sealed for funsies, top 2 finishers get an extra pack "prize" (lol).

Although it might be hard to build 7 pack sealed actually lol


Actually, it would only be the top finisher who gets a single "prize" pack

But that's not a bad idea!

I'll suggest all of this to them next time I meet up with them, and see what they think.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!
I await the reminiscent nerd chills I will get when I hear a Korean broadcaster yell "WEEAAAAVVVVVUUUHHH" while watching Dota
el_dawg
Profile Joined September 2011
United States164 Posts
November 07 2014 21:43 GMT
#11499
You could also do 2 6 man drafts, maybe even try a 3v3 team draft if you can balance the teams. I'm not sure how your group is, but you might not even need prizes for people to be competitive.
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
November 07 2014 22:37 GMT
#11500
On November 08 2014 06:43 el_dawg wrote:
You could also do 2 6 man drafts, maybe even try a 3v3 team draft if you can balance the teams. I'm not sure how your group is, but you might not even need prizes for people to be competitive.


I'd be competitive for honor and glory. I've competed for far far less.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
Prev 1 573 574 575 576 577 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 900
ComeBackTV 599
SteadfastSC458
TaKeTV 342
Rex130
IndyStarCraft 101
EnkiAlexander 47
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 458
ProTech146
Rex 130
IndyStarCraft 101
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 47978
Bisu 2909
Horang2 1379
EffOrt 767
Soma 572
BeSt 564
Hyuk 533
Light 430
Mini 424
Larva 342
[ Show more ]
ZerO 231
Rush 217
Mong 83
Leta 72
910 61
Snow 53
Pusan 51
ToSsGirL 45
Mind 36
Sexy 33
Aegong 31
JYJ 29
Terrorterran 24
Bale 23
Trap 17
Rock 12
Noble 10
Sacsri 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc6783
qojqva252
Counter-Strike
Fnx 782
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1457
Khaldor1052
Lowko457
Other Games
singsing2061
olofmeister1722
hiko1396
Beastyqt583
B2W.Neo387
Livibee190
Hui .183
XaKoH 159
Liquid`VortiX150
ArmadaUGS116
djWHEAT83
Mew2King70
QueenE58
KnowMe58
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV203
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream90
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 11
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 33
• FirePhoenix10
• Michael_bg 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2971
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 43m
CranKy Ducklings
19h 43m
Online Event
20h 43m
FEL
1d 1h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 2h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 4h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 19h
INu's Battles
1d 21h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.