• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:27
CEST 13:27
KST 20:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9413 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 574

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 572 573 574 575 576 665 Next
mr_tolkien
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France8631 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-03 11:55:47
November 03 2014 11:55 GMT
#11461
Cutting Firedrinker from a R aggro deck sounds retarded. It's a 1-drop that can hit through Caryatid, what is there not to want !
The legend of Darien lives on
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
November 03 2014 11:56 GMT
#11462
On November 03 2014 20:55 mr_tolkien wrote:
Cutting Firedrinker from a R aggro deck sounds retarded. It's a 1-drop that can hit through Caryatid, what is there not to want !


To not take 11 damage against Jeskai Decks? That's pretty much the only reason, even if the upside vs an already favorable matchup is beating up things I don't care about.
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
November 03 2014 16:11 GMT
#11463
You're playing all in aggro. You don't care about the "downside"
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
November 03 2014 16:18 GMT
#11464
On November 04 2014 01:11 Whole wrote:
You're playing all in aggro. You don't care about the "downside"


I care about not dying to Mantis Riders though. I know how the deck works for the most part, I just feel like there's a better card than Firedrinker for that slot. Even playing the goblin of antiblock land (The one for R that lets you prevent target dude from blocking when it attacks.) might be better.
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
November 03 2014 16:24 GMT
#11465
You present such a faster clock than Jeskai, the downside is irrelevant most games. The game is already decided by the time Mantis Rider beats become relevant and their burn can be pointed to your face. Also, every list I see plays 4 Firedrinker and 3-4 Frenzied Goblins.
.AK
Profile Joined September 2010
United States561 Posts
November 03 2014 16:36 GMT
#11466
Yeah I would be curious to see your decklist.

In other news, seriously considering Zurgo in my Mardu list, I think I am on to something here guys.
All hail the glorious I sell T.Vs at Best Buy || #1 REQUIZEN FANBOI || IGN: .AK/BEST ANTIMAGE NA || Plat IV ADC Main
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
November 03 2014 16:39 GMT
#11467
I'm not playing goblins in my current list. I chose to max out on Hammerhands and add a 3rd Lightning Strike for the time being. I ended up turning the 4th one and some other 3 of into Rabblemasters for the time being. Card is really fun to play so I'll more than likely keep it that way.

Almost every game I would rather cast any other spell I drew. I feel like if I actually had a sideboard (i didn't have one for that FNM) that I would have sided the out every game.
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
November 03 2014 16:40 GMT
#11468
Why him over Stormbreath or Sarkhan?
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
November 03 2014 16:53 GMT
#11469
On November 04 2014 01:40 Whole wrote:
Why him over Stormbreath or Sarkhan?


Synergies with Hordling Outburst mostly. I also wanted to keep everything under 3 mana since I have to deal with limited land drops while only playing 18.
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
November 03 2014 17:06 GMT
#11470
I was talking about Zurgo in Mardu. I should've quoted .AK
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
November 03 2014 18:21 GMT
#11471
How quickly people forget that firedrinker satyr was a sideboard for a long time last format...
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
.AK
Profile Joined September 2010
United States561 Posts
November 03 2014 18:26 GMT
#11472
List currently
+ Show Spoiler +
4 Seeker of the Way
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Butcher of the Horde
2 Zurgo Helmsmasher

3 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

4 Crackling Doom
3 Chained to the Rocks
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Lightning Strike
1 Murderous Cut

Lands x25

Sideboard
3 Anger of the Gods
1 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
2 Thoughtseize
1 Eslpeth, Sun’s Champion
2 End Hostilities
2 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Banishing Light
2 Glare of Heresy

My list is a little lower to the ground then some of the other Mardu lists floating. I figured that once I got to 5 mana I really needed a haymaker effect. Flamesashing your Mantis Rider / Courser is really good but I don't want to much of the effect.
This might seem a little weird but this deck feels like a "tempo" (whatever that means to you, when I play threats I want the game to contort around what I am doing) and while Stormbreath is a good card it feels more "value". It won't die to as much removal and has a fantastic monsterous if you get there but I don't think that is where Mardu wants to be.

Basically, when I play Zurgo (assuming they don't have Abzan Charm/Utter End/Bile Blight which I feel will be easy to play against) the game contorts in my favor. They either have to block and remove or take 7, which is a shit load especially since I am almost always the aggressor. So basically they are 2 for 1ing themselves or taking 7, I think I am fine with either of these. I mean it won't be fantastic all the time (ie. it gets blocked by Caraytid for example) but as a two of I feel like you can afford to play when it is most effective and hopefully that effect is helmsmashing.

End of the day I want "tempo" over value which I feel that Zurgo provides, especially as a two of. I am in the bay area so I plan on sleeving it up and taking it to Channel Fireball in San Jose later tonight and hopefully get some advice from players that know what they are doing.
All hail the glorious I sell T.Vs at Best Buy || #1 REQUIZEN FANBOI || IGN: .AK/BEST ANTIMAGE NA || Plat IV ADC Main
.AK
Profile Joined September 2010
United States561 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-03 18:42:49
November 03 2014 18:30 GMT
#11473
Speaking of which, how did TLers do at SCGOak? I brought a very different list then the one above and dropped in the main event early but I ended up winning a qualifier the next day and got a cool playmat and 10 packs (one of which included a foil Foothills) so overall it wasn't too bad.
All hail the glorious I sell T.Vs at Best Buy || #1 REQUIZEN FANBOI || IGN: .AK/BEST ANTIMAGE NA || Plat IV ADC Main
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
November 03 2014 21:21 GMT
#11474
On November 04 2014 01:11 Whole wrote:
You're playing all in aggro. You don't care about the "downside"


Titan Strength is something Carytid players need to respect regardless. Less so than Firedrink Saytr, I am blocking that Saytr with Carytid, but less likely to block that 1/1.
Get it by your hands...
mr_tolkien
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France8631 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-04 14:32:27
November 04 2014 14:23 GMT
#11475
Why the fuck would you play Hammerhand and not proper creatures...

Please post a list for reference too. We can't talk out of thin air. And 18 lands is way too few if you play 3-drops.

"How quickly people forget that Firedrinker Satyr was a sideboard for a long time last format..."
No it wasn't in tournament winning agressive red decks.

------

Regarding Zurgo in Mardu, it makes no sense. Most decks today have :
1) chump blockers (leftover tokens from Rabblemaster, Hornet Queen tokens, Elvish Mystics, ...)
2) cheap removal that can handle Zurgo either as soon as he hits the board or the next turn

In the best possible situation, Zurgo gets in for 7 then you trade 1 for 1. But is it what your five drop is for ? If your opponent isn't dead from the attack, there's a pretty high chance you're either dying on the way back or didn't achieve anything.
Compared to Sarkhan or Stormbreath, he's a pretty bad 5 drop. 0 evasion, easily dealt with, incredibly hard to get good value from.
The legend of Darien lives on
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
November 04 2014 14:34 GMT
#11476
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=74254

-3 Goblin
-1 Arena Athlete

+4 Rabblemaster

-1 Hall of Triumph
+1 Lightining Strike.

That's the closest to my list at the moment. It still crushes people by turn 3 or 4 regardless.
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-04 16:48:08
November 04 2014 16:47 GMT
#11477
Firedrinker languished in a lot of sideboards until m15, and aggressive red decks weren't exactly winning a ton of tournaments pre-m15. It lined up quite poorly against green creatures, pack rat and demon, as well as being unplayable against burn. Was fine out of the board against revelation decks.

Burn was probably the best deck post-m15 but had a low adoption rate for whatever reason, which had a lot to do with making firedrinker satyr look playable. Goblin Rabblemaster being absurd also made satyr look better than it is.
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
November 05 2014 07:23 GMT
#11478
Firedrinker was in the sideboards of non RDW decks..ex: mono red devotion & burn. But those decks are trying to attack from a completely different angle. Every single one of Tom Ross's Sligh lists packed 4x mainboard, even before m15.

Also, Firedrinker was far from unplayable against burn. Burn never tried to race RDW; Burn played control until they win with Young Pyromancer or Chandra's Phoenix recursion. Taking 3 or even 4 damage off of a Firedrinker Satyr is irrelevant 95% of the time versus burn in this standard and last standard.

@Cixah, I really don't think Rabblemaster is good in Boss Sligh/RDW right now. I think it is much better to just stick with Tom Ross's list.
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
November 05 2014 07:44 GMT
#11479
Anyone planning on going to Columbus this weekend?
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
mr_tolkien
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France8631 Posts
November 05 2014 15:08 GMT
#11480
Btw, are there EU TLers going to GP Strasbourg in 3 weeks ? And GP Madrid in 2 (not sure I'm going though, Modern is a shitfest atm).
The legend of Darien lives on
Prev 1 572 573 574 575 576 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko344
ProTech100
SpeCial 97
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16440
firebathero 1928
Bisu 1055
Hyuk 714
Horang2 561
BeSt 278
Larva 209
Mini 198
Light 162
EffOrt 159
[ Show more ]
Soma 126
Leta 93
Barracks 92
Mong 76
ZerO 72
Rush 71
Killer 50
Pusan 49
Snow 48
Shinee 40
Sea.KH 36
Sharp 36
ToSsGirL 35
NaDa 33
Aegong 30
Mind 29
zelot 26
Yoon 26
Sexy 25
Bale 19
sorry 19
Sacsri 17
Noble 15
ajuk12(nOOB) 14
JulyZerg 10
Terrorterran 6
Dota 2
XaKoH 338
Fuzer 157
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss890
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1154
crisheroes1081
Other Games
gofns38725
singsing2021
olofmeister1368
B2W.Neo259
Livibee104
Mew2King82
ArmadaUGS58
ZerO(Twitch)4
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream210
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH143
• StrangeGG 29
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
1h 34m
OSC
10h 34m
CranKy Ducklings
22h 34m
Online Event
23h 34m
FEL
1d 4h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 5h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 7h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 22h
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.