• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:49
CEST 12:49
KST 19:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup5StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12223 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 561

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 559 560 561 562 563 665 Next
malcram
Profile Joined November 2010
2752 Posts
September 19 2014 17:19 GMT
#11201
HELLOEVERYBODYMYNAMEISEVANERWIN and welcome to another episode, of the magic show!

haven't played mtg in half a year, but i still watch his spoiler shows lol...
Propelled
Profile Joined October 2010
Denmark184 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-19 19:11:34
September 19 2014 18:48 GMT
#11202
I've played magic casually for about a year and I'm looking to get into standard. At the moment I'm considering the following decklist that I'm hoping I can get some feedback on.

+ Show Spoiler [Decklist] +
//Lands
4 Battlefield Forge
6 Mountain
6 Plains
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Wind-Scarred Crag

//Spells
2 Dictate of Heliod
4 Hordeling Outburst
2 Magma Jet
4 Raise the Alarm
2 Spear of Heliod
4 Stoke the Flames
2 Triplicate Spirits

//Creatures
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Herald of Anafenza
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Purphoros, God of the Forge

//Sideboard
4 Banishing Light
4 Magma Spray
3 Lightning Strike
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram


In particular I would like some comments on Wind-Scarred Crag compared to Mana Confluence and my sideboard in general. At the moment the general plan against aggro is to board in the Nyx-Fleece Rams and Magma Sprays, then take out the Dictates of Heliod, two Stoke the Flames and the Monastery Swiftspears. However I'm somewhat at a loss at what to do against midrange and control.

While this is what I see as the biggest areas, any feedback would be appreciated
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-19 23:07:11
September 19 2014 23:06 GMT
#11203
Since you are running 8 1 drops, mana confluence is definitely better. I don't know if those 1 drops are really worth it though. Anafenza just seems soooo slow and swiftspear will just get block by caryatid a lot since you can really only pump it once a turn. If you cut the 1 drops to allow tapped lands like the tri-land and a couple black temples, along with bloodstained mire you could easily splash black for mardu charm and butcher which seems ideal for a deck like this.
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
September 20 2014 07:02 GMT
#11204
0-1 drop at prerelease. Was on ye olde 4 Abzan Guide 1 playable rare deck. I had the Hardened Scales and an off-color fetch in there too, but that was for show. That and the store was over capacity with people playing outside all while the AC was broken and it was 100 degrees inside.

It was basically an exact mirror of my Innistrad prerelease where the exact same thing happened.
Propelled
Profile Joined October 2010
Denmark184 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-20 07:08:46
September 20 2014 07:05 GMT
#11205
I quite like the idea of butcher and the charm, but wouldn't cutting the 1 drops make me very vulnerable to aggro, considering my only two drops are 4 Raise the Alarm and 2 Magma Jets? Or would the cards in my sideboard be enough to make up for it?
SilverSkyLark
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Philippines8437 Posts
September 20 2014 10:39 GMT
#11206
How is the Khans of Tarkir Pre Release Event different from the Release Party?
"If i lost an arm, I would play w3." -IntoTheWow || "Member of Hyuk Hyuk Hyuk cafe. He's the next Jaedong, baby!"
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
September 20 2014 11:12 GMT
#11207
On September 20 2014 19:39 SilverSkyLark wrote:
How is the Khans of Tarkir Pre Release Event different from the Release Party?

It isn't. Some players use the pre-release to pick up cards for release weekend standard tournaments.
NotSorry
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States6722 Posts
September 20 2014 11:38 GMT
#11208
Just got back from the pre-release went mardu, got top 8 out of ~70, pulled red/black fetch lands so was pretty excited.
We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men. - Orwell
EscPlan9
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2777 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-20 23:55:29
September 20 2014 23:54 GMT
#11209
I'm really digging this set for limited/sealed at least. Didn't pull any money cards. Went Temur and just was a bunch of fatties and burn spells with 18 lands, including 6 duals and a wedge. You are going to see a TON of morph - I know I was morphing all the time. Arc of Lightning becomes basically a Cone of Flame in this format - 3 damage spread amongst creatures how you want always did good work. Anyways - end of story I had a blast with the format - all the games were fun. Went 3-1 (only lost in the first round to a good player, where I lost 1-2 to him).

I'll be playing again tomorrow morning and thinking I want to try Mardu.
Undefeated TL Tecmo Super Bowl League Champion
DCLXVI
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States729 Posts
September 21 2014 01:07 GMT
#11210
Azban was perhaps a mistake even though I went 3-0-1, my actual record in games was 5-1 and I played all 4 rounds. I never got a chance to eat or anything between the rounds, I just grinded for 50 minutes straight every match.
1-0, 1-0, 1-1, 2-0 (he conceded when it went to time)
As much as I love slow card advantage even that was not fun for me, and it could not have been fun for my opponents.
I can already see the ending
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
September 21 2014 01:12 GMT
#11211
I split in top 4 out of about 60 people. Had a pretty mediocre Abzan deck but I had 7 duals so my mana was great and I pretty much won every round vs opponents stumbling on mana.
Fishgle
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States2174 Posts
September 21 2014 02:11 GMT
#11212
wooo went 4-0 with 16land mardu tokens. Every player in our top8 was mardu - the hordes of slow grindy sultai/abzan decks got rolled.
aka ChillyGonzalo / GnozL
EscPlan9
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2777 Posts
September 21 2014 02:31 GMT
#11213
Everyone at my pre-release was echoing similar remarks on playing Abzan. The ability is called Outlast and the name is Endurance for a reason lol . I didn't realize until my 2nd match that Outlast can only be played as a sorcery. Though if they got that 3/4 flyer that can put +1+1 counters on anything, it was just dumb.

Twice I got to do my favorite Temur combo:
Savage Punch and Become Immense (delving my whole graveyard)

+8+8 and knock out their best creature? Sounds good. Did 14 damage out of nowhere and 11 damage out of nowhere with it.
Undefeated TL Tecmo Super Bowl League Champion
las91
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States5080 Posts
September 21 2014 02:34 GMT
#11214
So for a person who hasn't played any Magic since Mirrodin, how have y'alls interpretations of the various clans been? I'm thinking of picking Mardu since its mechanic seems the most straightforward and easy to manage for someone who hasn't played in as long as I have. Any thoughts? (was going to go to the sealed event today but I was too late and am instead attending the one tomorrow)
In Inca we trust
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-21 05:08:33
September 21 2014 04:58 GMT
#11215
5-0-1 for 1st place with Abzan. Not a very bomb-heavy pool but I had 2 Ivorytusk Fortresses, a few cheap removal spells, and a pile of good creatures on every point on the curve except 1, but 10 non-basic lands meant 1-drops weren't really a thing lol.

Abzan feels like by far the best prerelease clan. Pretty good spread of common/uncommon removal, outlast guys are great when you are casting morphs and have leftover mana but you don't even have to use outlast all the time since they are all efficiently costed anyways. Good on-color morphs, good creatures at every point in the curve, good removal, etc. No need for gimmicks to get the most out of your cards.

Abzan and Mardu were the two most popular clans at the midnight prerelease here. Never really felt like the Mardu decks were nuts but I'm pretty sure they were all built incorrectly. Top 4 was 1st Abzan, 2nd Abzan, 3rd Mardu 4th Jeskai.
Dunno I am taking player skill-level into account as much as I can in this evaluation (there were a lot of bad Mardu players which probably biases my impressions) but Mardu just seemed like a worse Abzan, felt like the good Mardu cards were outlast guys lol

-----

On another note, got "9th" at a Legacy win-an-Ancestral tournament, losing only to people in our car =[ Played UWR/Jeskai/PATRIOT Delver. R1 lost to Miracles, r2 beat goblin stompy, r3 beat BUG Delver, r4 lost to UB reanimator, r5 was dead to top 8 so drew into 9th pretty much. Friends both top 8'd then immediately mulled into oblivion and died, oop aww.
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
LennX
Profile Joined October 2010
4572 Posts
September 21 2014 05:35 GMT
#11216
Chose Jeskai, made an arrgo deck(white/red weenie?) since I had the pre-release master of pearls and open another one. Ended up 3-0-1.

Pretty funny especially against the slower abzan/mardu decks around. Weenies worked wonders against outlast.

Meh prize packs. I opened nothing worth more than 2usd basically. But I've seen 5 hooded hydras opened... and 2 fetchlands in total.
Mute user function on TL; http://www.liquiddota.com/blogs/491245-mute-annoying-users-in-lr-threads
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
September 21 2014 06:28 GMT
#11217
On September 20 2014 16:02 deth2munkies wrote:
0-1 drop at prerelease. Was on ye olde 4 Abzan Guide 1 playable rare deck. I had the Hardened Scales and an off-color fetch in there too, but that was for show. That and the store was over capacity with people playing outside all while the AC was broken and it was 100 degrees inside.

It was basically an exact mirror of my Innistrad prerelease where the exact same thing happened.

Did you play at Rocket's in Baton Rouge by any chance?
SilverSkyLark
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Philippines8437 Posts
September 21 2014 08:28 GMT
#11218
On September 20 2014 20:12 caelym wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2014 19:39 SilverSkyLark wrote:
How is the Khans of Tarkir Pre Release Event different from the Release Party?

It isn't. Some players use the pre-release to pick up cards for release weekend standard tournaments.

I meant by the structure or flow. I just saw the announcement from a local shop and it seems that there's no seeded pack so you just get 6 normal booster KTK packs.

Now that sounds tough, not being able to seed a pack.
"If i lost an arm, I would play w3." -IntoTheWow || "Member of Hyuk Hyuk Hyuk cafe. He's the next Jaedong, baby!"
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
September 21 2014 17:50 GMT
#11219
On September 21 2014 17:28 SilverSkyLark wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2014 20:12 caelym wrote:
On September 20 2014 19:39 SilverSkyLark wrote:
How is the Khans of Tarkir Pre Release Event different from the Release Party?

It isn't. Some players use the pre-release to pick up cards for release weekend standard tournaments.

I meant by the structure or flow. I just saw the announcement from a local shop and it seems that there's no seeded pack so you just get 6 normal booster KTK packs.

Now that sounds tough, not being able to seed a pack.


That's every other sealed tournament.
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
September 21 2014 18:08 GMT
#11220
On September 21 2014 17:28 SilverSkyLark wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2014 20:12 caelym wrote:
On September 20 2014 19:39 SilverSkyLark wrote:
How is the Khans of Tarkir Pre Release Event different from the Release Party?

It isn't. Some players use the pre-release to pick up cards for release weekend standard tournaments.

I meant by the structure or flow. I just saw the announcement from a local shop and it seems that there's no seeded pack so you just get 6 normal booster KTK packs.

Now that sounds tough, not being able to seed a pack.

1 seeded pack that only has clan watermarked cards, but there is a pool of promos that could be in the pack instead of just one promo per clan.
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
Prev 1 559 560 561 562 563 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
Krystianer vs TBD
ByuN vs TBD
CranKy Ducklings148
CranKy Ducklings SOOP27
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 10754
FanTaSy 1684
Hyuk 816
Horang2 564
BeSt 425
Pusan 214
Stork 190
Killer 112
Zeus 109
Mind 109
[ Show more ]
Last 106
EffOrt 78
sorry 78
Hyun 61
ggaemo 58
Snow 45
PianO 44
Bale 35
ToSsGirL 35
Hm[arnc] 31
JYJ 25
Aegong 15
Sacsri 12
zelot 8
Noble 7
Dota 2
XcaliburYe194
Counter-Strike
fl0m1188
byalli761
x6flipin222
Other Games
gofns38870
singsing2543
ArmadaUGS74
Mew2King72
B2W.Neo0
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick692
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream83
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 13
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 10
• FirePhoenix2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
INu's Battles
1h 11m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
IntoTheiNu 1
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
4h 11m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 11m
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 11m
Replay Cast
12h 11m
Afreeca Starleague
23h 11m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 5h
Replay Cast
1d 12h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 23h
Soma vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.