• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:56
CEST 05:56
KST 12:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7769 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 557

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 555 556 557 558 559 665 Next
Korlin
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada142 Posts
September 05 2014 06:08 GMT
#11121
On September 05 2014 15:00 Meta wrote:
For the first time ever, I bought an entire case of booster boxes. Here's hoping these fetches are good long term investments. Here's the way I see it. This new card face give them higher appreciate potential due to the fact that it's harder to fake them. Some of the fakes I've seen out of China are pretty good, especially two of the zendikar fetches. Of course they don't pass the light test, but I still feel like the new fetches will have more longevity against such threats to the market.

Anyway, I'm super stoked about this. I'm not really a standard player at all, and morph is a terrible mechanic (outlast seems bad too), but I think limited should be fun. It's looking better than Theros in terms of variety.


I had talked myself out of buying packs anymore, but the new fetches are tempting me to reconsider. Unfortunately nothing else has me terribly excited about the set so far.
LennX
Profile Joined October 2010
4572 Posts
September 05 2014 06:22 GMT
#11122
On September 05 2014 15:00 Meta wrote:
For the first time ever, I bought an entire case of booster boxes. Here's hoping these fetches are good long term investments. Here's the way I see it. This new card face give them higher appreciate potential due to the fact that it's harder to fake them. Some of the fakes I've seen out of China are pretty good, especially two of the zendikar fetches. Of course they don't pass the light test, but I still feel like the new fetches will have more longevity against such threats to the market.

Anyway, I'm super stoked about this. I'm not really a standard player at all, and morph is a terrible mechanic (outlast seems bad too), but I think limited should be fun. It's looking better than Theros in terms of variety.


I'm not too sure about buying a case to get fetchlands. Each box will yield you 3 fetchs on average so a case will give u 18 of them excluding foil fetchs. With the money spent on a case ($600ish USD?), I think its possible to get 40 fetchs for that price, amusing 15USD per fetch on average when prices have stablised. This block seems to be a fetchland + some random rare block to me so far.

May the RNG be with you. A foil fetch in each box!
Mute user function on TL; http://www.liquiddota.com/blogs/491245-mute-annoying-users-in-lr-threads
Meta
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States6228 Posts
September 05 2014 13:02 GMT
#11123
So, I spent $520 it, plus a friend and I operate a store out of ebay, so we're going to sell all the excess crap that we can. I think it'll even out, even at only 15 fetchlands.
good vibes only
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
September 05 2014 19:17 GMT
#11124
On September 05 2014 22:02 Meta wrote:
So, I spent $520 it, plus a friend and I operate a store out of ebay, so we're going to sell all the excess crap that we can. I think it'll even out, even at only 15 fetchlands.


That's assuming you'll move all the excess crap which I doubt you will.
Get it by your hands...
RoieTRS
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States2569 Posts
September 05 2014 19:52 GMT
#11125
On September 05 2014 05:43 RoieTRS wrote:
Creatures are so boring I wish they'd spoil something cool other than Utter End which is p cool tbh.
Unless they spoiled a creature that was like 6/5 for 3 mana that would be exciting and new but tacking on haste or 'when this card attacks other boring creatures get boring first strike or draw a boring card' is so dull


And then they spoil Savage Knuckleblade.
Finally an exciting creature.
konadora, in Racenilatr's blog: "you need to stop thinking about starcraft or anything computer-related for that matter. It's becoming a bad addiction imo"
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
September 05 2014 20:48 GMT
#11126
On September 05 2014 22:02 Meta wrote:
So, I spent $520 it, plus a friend and I operate a store out of ebay, so we're going to sell all the excess crap that we can. I think it'll even out, even at only 15 fetchlands.

where did you find a case for $520? I'd probably get in on that.
amazingxkcd
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
GRAND OLD AMERICA16375 Posts
September 05 2014 20:52 GMT
#11127
Should I have any hopes for standard format (magic leak being reprinted) or am I doomed to only play legacy on cockatrice?
The world is burning and you rather be on this terrible website discussing video games and your shallow feelings
MoonBear
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Straight outta Johto18973 Posts
September 05 2014 21:02 GMT
#11128
If you want to play mana leak so badly there's always Modern haha
ModeratorA dream. Do you have one that has cursed you like that? Or maybe... a wish?
RoieTRS
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States2569 Posts
September 05 2014 21:23 GMT
#11129
idk from the looks of it one of the best Standard rotations ever is on the way out in the next few weeks and its being replaced by Creatures that Turn Sideways: The Format
konadora, in Racenilatr's blog: "you need to stop thinking about starcraft or anything computer-related for that matter. It's becoming a bad addiction imo"
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
September 05 2014 21:27 GMT
#11130
Hmm, this set is interesting for standard from a control player's side of things. BUG has the best support (Prognostic Sphinx is going to be a killer) and mana base (duh), but Esper with splash white (since you don't have a good wrath anymore or revelation) has the best removal (if anything Wizards has done is that if you want to run catch-all spells you need to pay more mana in some kind of way). The question right now boils down to whether the Carytid/Courser shell is better than anything Esper can offer (I would venture yes).

UWR isn't a control shell any more with the recent spoils.

Don't expect Mana Leak period, pretty sure Wizards is already on record saying that the Leak design would never be printed by today's standards of printing Yugioh monsters.
Get it by your hands...
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-05 21:56:48
September 05 2014 21:40 GMT
#11131
Junk midrange/aggro is looking pretty good too. Soldier of the Pantheon is going to be a killer given the fact there's a multicolor block coming. The GWB Ascendancy acting as a virtual anthem and pseudo wrath protection is everything you want in an aggro/midrange shell.

I mean combine GWB Ascendency, Spirit Bonds, and just efficient creatures like Fleecemane Lion, Anafenza, Soldier of the Pantheon, and Brimaz and support Planeswalkers like Elspeth, new Sorin, Ajani, and Nissa and you've got a really solid core for a midrange deck.

Can't wait to see if there's token support.

Ooh, and sideboard some Arbor Colossi, Bow of Nylea...god I'm getting too excited about this.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
September 05 2014 22:24 GMT
#11132
The problem with the GWB ascendancy is the 3 mana cost, I am not sure if thats what you really want to be playing on turn 3 in this format. Wrath protection is irrelevant if the best removals thus far can respond to your Ascendancy (Downfall) or outright ignore it (Utter End/Silence for honorable mentions).

I think GWB is a trap because honestly I don't think the 2 creatures and 1 spell you are losing to rotation is replaceable by those things.
Get it by your hands...
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-05 22:37:12
September 05 2014 22:34 GMT
#11133
On September 06 2014 07:24 Judicator wrote:
The problem with the GWB ascendancy is the 3 mana cost, I am not sure if thats what you really want to be playing on turn 3 in this format. Wrath protection is irrelevant if the best removals thus far can respond to your Ascendancy (Downfall) or outright ignore it (Utter End/Silence for honorable mentions).

I think GWB is a trap because honestly I don't think the 2 creatures and 1 spell you are losing to rotation is replaceable by those things.


I'm just thinking about the line T1 Soldier, T2 Fleecemane, T3 Ascendency and that's 9 damage and 2 difficult to deal with threats on the board on T3. If they do deal, you still get a token. If you play Sorin T4, you're threatening to put them to 2 and gain a bunch of life, they'll have to chump with something.

I just think the combination of the Planeswalkers and Asecendancy lets you play a few really good threats and force people to deal with every single one. With Ajani especially, you'll probably draw more threats than they have removal spells.

Plus, we haven't seen the whole set. Ideally, we'll get a really good 4 drop to replace Desecration Demon and a decent finisher to replace Obzedat/Blood Baron.
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
September 05 2014 23:27 GMT
#11134
I'm looking at Junk Walkers with Caryatid, Courser, Sorin, Ajani, Elspeth and maybe Polukranos or Brimaz
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22630 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-05 23:45:46
September 05 2014 23:45 GMT
#11135
On September 06 2014 07:34 deth2munkies wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 06 2014 07:24 Judicator wrote:
The problem with the GWB ascendancy is the 3 mana cost, I am not sure if thats what you really want to be playing on turn 3 in this format. Wrath protection is irrelevant if the best removals thus far can respond to your Ascendancy (Downfall) or outright ignore it (Utter End/Silence for honorable mentions).

I think GWB is a trap because honestly I don't think the 2 creatures and 1 spell you are losing to rotation is replaceable by those things.


I'm just thinking about the line T1 Soldier, T2 Fleecemane, T3 Ascendency and that's 9 damage and 2 difficult to deal with threats on the board on T3. If they do deal, you still get a token. If you play Sorin T4, you're threatening to put them to 2 and gain a bunch of life, they'll have to chump with something.

I just think the combination of the Planeswalkers and Asecendancy lets you play a few really good threats and force people to deal with every single one. With Ajani especially, you'll probably draw more threats than they have removal spells.

Plus, we haven't seen the whole set. Ideally, we'll get a really good 4 drop to replace Desecration Demon and a decent finisher to replace Obzedat/Blood Baron.

Turn 1 plains turn 2 forest turn 3 swamp to do that play with both this block and the previous having no shock lands and aside from fetches they are entering tabbed.

Your play seems unrealistic. You can play 3 colors no problem but its going to be slow and prob not suited to an aggro/midrange play.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
September 05 2014 23:54 GMT
#11136
There are also the painlands. It is certainly hard though. I feel like for a 3 color deck you probably just want to skip 1 drops so you can always temple turn 1.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-06 00:06:12
September 06 2014 00:04 GMT
#11137
On September 06 2014 07:34 deth2munkies wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 06 2014 07:24 Judicator wrote:
The problem with the GWB ascendancy is the 3 mana cost, I am not sure if thats what you really want to be playing on turn 3 in this format. Wrath protection is irrelevant if the best removals thus far can respond to your Ascendancy (Downfall) or outright ignore it (Utter End/Silence for honorable mentions).

I think GWB is a trap because honestly I don't think the 2 creatures and 1 spell you are losing to rotation is replaceable by those things.


I'm just thinking about the line T1 Soldier, T2 Fleecemane, T3 Ascendency and that's 9 damage and 2 difficult to deal with threats on the board on T3. If they do deal, you still get a token. If you play Sorin T4, you're threatening to put them to 2 and gain a bunch of life, they'll have to chump with something.

I just think the combination of the Planeswalkers and Asecendancy lets you play a few really good threats and force people to deal with every single one. With Ajani especially, you'll probably draw more threats than they have removal spells.

Plus, we haven't seen the whole set. Ideally, we'll get a really good 4 drop to replace Desecration Demon and a decent finisher to replace Obzedat/Blood Baron.


Yeah no, as others have mentioned, you are relying basically on 3 nontapped sources of mana in a tricolor deck. Don't think that's reasonable at all.

Planeswalkers can also just die or the creature can die and the other deck can answer at sorcery speed. You have either get tempo by playing multiple threats on one turn (I don't think this is happening with your best enabler rotating out RIP Shaman). Ajani is also a turn 5 play and you're not deploying a threat that turn beyond your current board and Ajani. That's a problem.

You're not getting cards at the level of Obzedat/Baron for this set without either it being 6 CMC or a third color which is kind of hard considering the mana symbols on Baron/Obzedat. Neither of which works out in your favor as a mid range deck. Don't get me wrong though, I think Junk has the cards, I just don't think it'll come together.

Shotcoder has a better idea because the Carytid/Courser engine is so fucking strong that you can grind out very good board states which junk excels at. The problem is that Xenagos and Jund will probably beat it since they have a better color in a creature match up, when you ask the question if you want Stormbreath Dragon and Sarkhan over whatever white has to offer (at this point Utter End and Banishing Light), I'll take cards that win me the game as opposed to reactive cards.

I am currently brewing around Prognostic Sphinx since given the removal in this set and how good our mana accel is right now and how stupid that guy is if you get one swing off of it with a Courser in play.

Edit:

I should clarify, Junk has a hard time playing more than 1 threat at a time. Given the format is probably going to start looking to trade 1-1 with big spells that go over the top, that is not where you want to be.
Get it by your hands...
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-06 00:20:39
September 06 2014 00:09 GMT
#11138
On September 06 2014 09:04 Judicator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 06 2014 07:34 deth2munkies wrote:
On September 06 2014 07:24 Judicator wrote:
The problem with the GWB ascendancy is the 3 mana cost, I am not sure if thats what you really want to be playing on turn 3 in this format. Wrath protection is irrelevant if the best removals thus far can respond to your Ascendancy (Downfall) or outright ignore it (Utter End/Silence for honorable mentions).

I think GWB is a trap because honestly I don't think the 2 creatures and 1 spell you are losing to rotation is replaceable by those things.


I'm just thinking about the line T1 Soldier, T2 Fleecemane, T3 Ascendency and that's 9 damage and 2 difficult to deal with threats on the board on T3. If they do deal, you still get a token. If you play Sorin T4, you're threatening to put them to 2 and gain a bunch of life, they'll have to chump with something.

I just think the combination of the Planeswalkers and Asecendancy lets you play a few really good threats and force people to deal with every single one. With Ajani especially, you'll probably draw more threats than they have removal spells.

Plus, we haven't seen the whole set. Ideally, we'll get a really good 4 drop to replace Desecration Demon and a decent finisher to replace Obzedat/Blood Baron.


Yeah no, as others have mentioned, you are relying basically on 3 nontapped sources of mana in a tricolor deck. Don't think that's reasonable at all.


You are building your deck wrong if you're jamming 4 taplands and 12 temples in a tricolor deck. Fetches want basics and Mana Confluence still exists. Given the amount of lifegain (mostly via lifelink) that looks like is coming out of this color combo, you should have no problem playing at least 4-5 basics and at least 5 fetches and possibly 4 confluence.

A 23 land manabase would look something like:

2x Plains
3x Forest
4x Windswept Heath
4x Junk tapland
4x Mana Confluence
3x Caves of Kolios
1x Temple of Plenty
2x Llanowar Wastes


The higher the curve, the more taplands you can play, but I'd prefer to keep the total and curve fairly low, with 1-2 Elspeth being the most expensive thing in the deck.

Edit: I'm dumb and forgot completely that the painlands exist. Untapped mana is not a problem if you're willing to pay life, and given that several junk cards already do that (and/or have lifelink) and Sorin and Whip of Erebos GIVE lifelink, there's no reason to not have untapped mana,

My Junk deck would be based on curving out into larger and larger threats with protection and tokens as a subtheme. Jund is typically better at the grindy game, but we'll have to see which color they splash for given Jund is not a supported shard in KTK.
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-10 23:00:08
September 10 2014 22:58 GMT
#11139
Junk did win the block pro tour in a format defined by 1-for-1 trades. The red cards weren't appreciably better than the non-Elspeth white cards in Block (also tended to be worse than the black cards, comparing Junk to Naya). Other than Sarkhan maybe, that seems to be the case here and Abzan/Junk is explicitly supported in Khans.
Imo the real reason to play Jund or any shard is having 8 on-color fetches.
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
MoonBear
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Straight outta Johto18973 Posts
September 13 2014 12:22 GMT
#11140
Full Khans Set is on the Mothership. Somewhat disappointing cards. =/

Wonder what would be the best clan for prerelease. Azban or Temur is my guess. Jeskai and Sultani seem really underpowered. Don't have an opinion about Mardu.
ModeratorA dream. Do you have one that has cursed you like that? Or maybe... a wish?
Prev 1 555 556 557 558 559 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 272
ProTech144
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 9060
Dewaltoss 160
Bale 44
Terrorterran 20
Noble 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm230
League of Legends
JimRising 817
Counter-Strike
taco 361
Other Games
summit1g13937
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1340
BasetradeTV172
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream48
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter148
• practicex 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota243
League of Legends
• Lourlo1013
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
6h 4m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
7h 4m
Monday Night Weeklies
12h 4m
Replay Cast
19h 4m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 6h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 7h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 20h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.