• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:21
CEST 14:21
KST 21:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10053 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 549

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 547 548 549 550 551 665 Next
SilverSkyLark
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Philippines8437 Posts
July 12 2014 15:58 GMT
#10961
On July 13 2014 00:02 Elyvilon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2014 22:14 SilverSkyLark wrote:
Also, why is standard getting hated on?

I haven't been played Magic in a long time (until the Pre Release hours ago) and I spend some time admiring the new font and new borders. The last time Standard got hated on was when everyone ran cawblade + stoneforge mystic and that was 2-3 years ago, prompting WoTC to ban cards in standard (if I'm not mistaken). I remember the bans because my friend was making a cawblade deck cuz he was pissed that almost everyone ran it. Even a Grand Prix before featured 7 cawblade out of the top 8. I think I also read somewhere that Blue Devotion is everywhere, promting WoTC to nerf blue in the core set, but I'm not too sure about that.

And yes, Cone of Flame is awesome. Can be a good burn or a board wipe. Have it your way.

A lot of people complained about standard during the height of the Delver era.

Hm, that was the last set I played before taking a long break from Magic. And yeah the Delver era was a difficult time since almost everyone ran it. But that was a long time ago right?

Why are people hating on it now? o.o
"If i lost an arm, I would play w3." -IntoTheWow || "Member of Hyuk Hyuk Hyuk cafe. He's the next Jaedong, baby!"
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
July 12 2014 16:56 GMT
#10962
You guys don't even know what it was like during academy/bargain/replenish standard days being followed by Rishadan ports and Rising Waters. Standard looks fucking amazing without wastelands, tolorian academy, and tangle wires.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
slOosh
Profile Joined October 2009
3291 Posts
July 12 2014 17:32 GMT
#10963
I liked meteorite. Wasn't too bad. Tyrant's machine was surprisingly good too. But I played aggro so mileage may vary.

Removal felt quite lacking so bombs would just take over games (I haven't played too many sealeds so I'm not sure if it's always this way).

I didn't open any bombs, so I played an aggro curve of mainly 2 and 3 drops with evasion / high power, and just tried to kill people before they could play 6/7/8 drops. Worked pretty well as the 2/2 red goblin with intimidate and the 3/1 white flier did work.
EscPlan9
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2777 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-13 09:37:38
July 13 2014 08:53 GMT
#10964
I ended up picking red mostly because of all the burn and good creatures in common. Ended up 3-1! My only loss was to someone who was seeded blue (and holy crap what a sick pool he had)!

I was really disappointed with my pool and thought I might even just play red as my 2nd color. I only had two burn spells - Heat Blast and Blastfire Bolt, neither efficient ways to remove a creature, but at least can do 5 damage (for 6 mana!) to take out the majority of bombs. I only had enough playables in red and white, and at least had a good curve of aggressive creatures, so boros aggro it was. My only "money" card was Waste Not, which is only a couple of bucks (at the moment) and completely unplayable in limited.

Possibly long... but thoughts on a bunch of cards I played and few noteworthy mentions of cards I ran into:

Red
Goblin Kaboomist was my favorite card to play. It was just fun for the interactive element and building up my brigade of mine tokens, even though they can only be sacked to deal 2 dmg to attacking non-flying creatures. It held back people attacking at all with their ground force - they gave it way too much respect.

I knew Inferno Fist would be good, and it definitely delivered. Threw it on the Krenko Enforcer (2/2 intimidate) a bunch of games for a beating, and sac'd it the one time removal came to knock out a creature of his along the way. Oh and Krenko Enforcer was amazing.

Rummaging Goblin was useful the few times I had him out. Discarding excess lands to draw more cards became very useful and gave my boros aggro some card selection at least. It would have been more useful if I wasn't playing sealed with my expensive burn spells and the promo card.

Scrapyard Mongrel on his own is limited playable as a Hill Giant, with some icing of +2+0 and trample with an artifact in play. I only had an artifact in play once (and only 2 in my deck that were barely playable), and the icing was delicious. 5/3 trample with my 4 mana creature? Sweet.

Miner's Bane was better than I expected. Yes, he's a 6/3 for 6 mana and that's really bad. He only was in the deck due to lack of playables and me figuring he would trade well or at least be an expensive lava axe (pay 3 to give him +1+0 and trample) to close out some games when they stabilized. Only had him out once, but 7 trample was really good even when he traded in combat against a random 3 power creature.

Generator Servant let me live the dream the one time he was out. Played him on turn 5 with 4 lands in play, sacced him next turn with my 5th land drop to bring out the Siege Dragon with haste! Speaking of Siege Dragon... though I expected him to a be a monster and steal games when he resolves, watching it in action still impressed me. Every time I swung with Siege Dragon it 100% shut the door on my opponent ever winning. I board cleared with him the one time he had haste too.

Soul of Shandalar overperformed. I didn't have it myself, but I played against him on board once. I had to use 2 spells to take him out before he threatened to turn by turn clear my board, bolt me directly for 3, and swing with the 6/6 first strike.

White
Sancrified Charge only came out one game, but was a massive blowout. People are so new to this format this card is not in anyone's radar. Yes, it is expensive, but it's instant and goes great in white. Game anecdote - I was down to 10 health, he was at 13 with lethal on crackback. I declared my attacks with three creatures (not quite lethal, but close) and kept back the all mighty Bronze Sable (went in due to lack of playables - I even joked "You know your pool was bad when Bronze Sable becomes main deckable"). He could only block two of them, but he had to pay 2 life to activate the vampires ability to gain flying until end of turn to block one of them. He was about to block one of them, then decided against it all together. I just confirmed "No blocks?" waited a second, then Sancrified Charge to pump through 6 more damage. It was the last play of the night before going 3-1.

Razorfoot Griffin was an all-star. 2/2 flying first strike for 4 - get in the deck! I had 3 of them and he was my overall best performer in the games.

I didn't play any of white's many life-gain cards, but I saw many put too much stock in them. They just delayed the inevitable, as expected.

Green
A friend of mine got to live the dream with playing some combos. Phytotitan and Life's Legacy to draw 7 cards and have the creature come back. Invasive Species / Roaring Primadox to keep bouncing Living Totem for more and more counters.

Black
Indulgent Tormentor was the most powerful bomb from the games I observed (though never faced him myself even when I played 2 black decks). I also didn't factor in that people will often not make the best choice of the 3 based on the situation - more like the "least worst" of the 3.

Soul of Innistrad is broken in limited. Trade creatures and get them back every turn!

Blue
Soul of Ravnica was better than most of the promo cards even. 6/6 flyer for 6 with potential card advantage upside? Ouch. With the limited removal in this set, it will take 2 or more cards to take this out the majority of the time. (I only saw the three soul cards mentioned in play, but other than green's, all of them are total bombs in limited).

Artifacts
Rogue's Gloves works really well with blue to give even more card advantage. Toss it on an evasive creature, bounce a potential blocker, and hoooray more cards!

Scuttling Doom Engine I completely forgot had the "creatures with 2 power or less cannot block him" clause. Huge bomb. Other than exiling him, you are guaranteed to at least take 6 damage from him from his on death ability.

So many people way over valued Ornithopter "it's free!".

--------

Yeah, that was long. Hope it was helpful to someone lol

So the blue mage I lost against... he had white for his 2nd color. He had nearly 100% flying creatures, and had a ridiculous amount of bounce spells. That's the best you can hope for with maining blue, and he got it sure enough. He also seemed to be a decent player in general.

Before the final round, since both me and the guy I was playing was 2-1, I offered the split like I always do at pre-release sealed. I don't do anything with boosters except sell them anyways (I only do draft and sealed), and it's just a better playing experience in my opinion. I won 2-0, granting 6 packs, and gave him 2 packs. I sold my remaining 4 packs to my friend, who for once didn't make more money off opening the packs than me selling it!

I'll be playing again tomorrow morning and I'm thinking of trying green this time.
Undefeated TL Tecmo Super Bowl League Champion
mr_tolkien
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France8631 Posts
July 17 2014 14:02 GMT
#10965
The legend of Darien lives on
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
July 17 2014 21:08 GMT
#10966
I hope the LSV episode is awesome.
cLAN.Anax
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United States2847 Posts
July 18 2014 00:04 GMT
#10967
Downloaded Magic 2015 off Steam yesterday. For those considering purchasing it, I hope this can help you decide.

Game is still a satisfactory alternative for those of us stuck in the boonies without people to play with. Boosters are fun to get and open, deck customization is much more expanded, and there are a lot of cards to tweak one's deck with.

Biggest problem is the UI. Artsy and aesthetic it is, but functional and fluid it is not. I'm getting frame-stutters as it's opening booster packs. Why Wizards thought more people would buy into Magic for the lore of the single-player campaign, I'll never comprehend. Biggest changes from previous versions are almost purely visual; program still plays the same year after year.

Remains a good option if you're new to the game or want a decent alternative to Cockatrice, MWS, and MTG:O. If you're already heavily-invested in paper Magic, spend your $10 on a dual-land, lol.
┬─┬___(ツ)_/¯ 彡┻━┻ I am the 4%. "I cant believe i saw ANAL backwards before i saw the word LAN." - Capped
Elyvilon
Profile Joined August 2008
United States13143 Posts
July 18 2014 07:00 GMT
#10968
On July 18 2014 06:08 Whole wrote:
I hope the LSV episode is awesome.

I mean it's LSV, how could it not be awesome?
Liquipedia
mr_tolkien
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France8631 Posts
July 18 2014 13:13 GMT
#10969
On July 18 2014 09:04 cLAN.Anax wrote:
spend your $10 on a dual-land, lol.

I fucking wish a dual was 10$ ah ah ah.
The legend of Darien lives on
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
July 18 2014 14:38 GMT
#10970
On July 18 2014 22:13 mr_tolkien wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 18 2014 09:04 cLAN.Anax wrote:
spend your $10 on a dual-land, lol.

I fucking wish a dual was 10$ ah ah ah.


I spat out my drink before I realized he meant the shock lands lol
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
Hagen0
Profile Joined June 2013
Germany765 Posts
July 18 2014 15:00 GMT
#10971
The shock lands are 10$? Wow..

I was thinking of trying paper magic but the card prices are brutal.
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
July 18 2014 22:42 GMT
#10972
On July 18 2014 22:13 mr_tolkien wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 18 2014 09:04 cLAN.Anax wrote:
spend your $10 on a dual-land, lol.

I fucking wish a dual was 10$ ah ah ah.

aren't they 10 bucks on mtgo? I'm pretty sure he was referring to online prices.
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
July 18 2014 22:44 GMT
#10973
Hmm what you guys think of this. I ordered a playset of Nissa from a local store for $20 a piece, but today the store messaged me saying that they don't have any more in stock and they'd be willing to negotiate a "discounted rate of their current market value" (aka more than $20). Basically since I chose a "Pay in Store option" (because I'll be there tomorrow so why pay for shipping. Also, I didn't want to deal with any problems that I might have with PayPal b/c it was either Store Credit, PayPal, or Pay in Store) and didn't technically pay for it yet, I believe they're going to up the price from what I originally ordered.

I don't even care that they're out of stock, I just think it's pretty messed that they're going to try to up the price on me.

deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
July 19 2014 01:03 GMT
#10974
On July 19 2014 07:44 Whole wrote:
Hmm what you guys think of this. I ordered a playset of Nissa from a local store for $20 a piece, but today the store messaged me saying that they don't have any more in stock and they'd be willing to negotiate a "discounted rate of their current market value" (aka more than $20). Basically since I chose a "Pay in Store option" (because I'll be there tomorrow so why pay for shipping. Also, I didn't want to deal with any problems that I might have with PayPal b/c it was either Store Credit, PayPal, or Pay in Store) and didn't technically pay for it yet, I believe they're going to up the price from what I originally ordered.

I don't even care that they're out of stock, I just think it's pretty messed that they're going to try to up the price on me.



Fuck that local store is what I think.
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
July 19 2014 03:39 GMT
#10975
On July 19 2014 07:42 caelym wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 18 2014 22:13 mr_tolkien wrote:
On July 18 2014 09:04 cLAN.Anax wrote:
spend your $10 on a dual-land, lol.

I fucking wish a dual was 10$ ah ah ah.

aren't they 10 bucks on mtgo? I'm pretty sure he was referring to online prices.


I think he and I were imagining buying underground seas for $10 instead of the $300 they normally are.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
July 19 2014 03:41 GMT
#10976
On July 19 2014 00:00 Hagen0 wrote:
The shock lands are 10$? Wow..

I was thinking of trying paper magic but the card prices are brutal.


As a paper legacy player, my cheapest lands are basics at around $5-$10 a piece if I buy the cheap ones.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
mr_tolkien
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France8631 Posts
July 21 2014 11:39 GMT
#10977
On July 19 2014 00:00 Hagen0 wrote:
The shock lands are 10$? Wow..

I was thinking of trying paper magic but the card prices are brutal.

Mmmmh, retail price for boosters is 4$. So 10$ for the exact card you want with very high demand is not all that shocking to me.

If you don't wanna pay cash for them, just trade them.
The legend of Darien lives on
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
July 22 2014 19:51 GMT
#10978
On July 21 2014 20:39 mr_tolkien wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 19 2014 00:00 Hagen0 wrote:
The shock lands are 10$? Wow..

I was thinking of trying paper magic but the card prices are brutal.

Mmmmh, retail price for boosters is 4$. So 10$ for the exact card you want with very high demand is not all that shocking to me.

If you don't wanna pay cash for them, just trade them.

Not that shocking, eh? *snicker*
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
slOosh
Profile Joined October 2009
3291 Posts
July 22 2014 22:32 GMT
#10979
Thinking about moving into the modern format (currently doing drafts / standard), wondering what tips or advice you guys may have.

Budget is definitely a big factor, but I'm in no rush to make a full deck. I don't mind playing with substitute pieces and obtaining the necessary pieces overtime.

I like cheating things into play. I love reanimator, and anything "broken" like that. I guess I'd say I like "unfair" decks (opposed to fair ones).

I'm a very slow player so I can't really play control type decks as I would always go to time.

People have suggested burn (for budget), RG tron and 4C gifts (for the fatties) and Living End (I guess sorta combo?)

What do you guys think?
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-22 22:45:44
July 22 2014 22:43 GMT
#10980
look up the goryo's vengeance. it reanimates griselband and goes for a 1 turn kill with fury of the horde. the deck also uses through the breach to cheat out griselbrand and emrakul.
Prev 1 547 548 549 550 551 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
IntoTheiNu 1229
WardiTV507
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko446
ProTech124
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 8932
Bisu 2560
Jaedong 1410
BeSt 1037
EffOrt 543
Horang2 433
actioN 257
Larva 245
ZerO 236
Mini 180
[ Show more ]
Pusan 141
ggaemo 89
Mind 87
Snow 85
Hyun 69
Barracks 63
Yoon 62
Shinee 50
Killer 44
NotJumperer 37
Sharp 37
Bale 36
scan(afreeca) 33
ToSsGirL 29
hero 23
Hm[arnc] 19
Sacsri 18
zelot 15
Noble 12
sorry 12
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
Dota 2
Gorgc1467
Dendi835
qojqva577
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1032
markeloff87
Other Games
B2W.Neo384
crisheroes285
hiko207
DeMusliM205
Pyrionflax186
dupreeh106
Livibee73
Mew2King67
QueenE59
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
Afreeca ASL 2448
StarCastTV_EN63
UltimateBattle 40
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream39
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV1194
League of Legends
• Jankos1441
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
11h 39m
Patches Events
1d 3h
The PondCast
1d 21h
INu's Battles
1d 22h
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.