• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:56
CEST 02:56
KST 09:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1 [IPSL] IPSL is Back With Winter 26-27!
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11851 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 444

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 442 443 444 445 446 665 Next
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
September 06 2013 19:21 GMT
#8861
Well, putting that land cycle at rare isn't ONLY a money-grab, it also affects the limited format in rather important ways.

But Wizards is on record as saying "rare lands sell packs so we do them". Its a transparent money-grab and the playerbase has lived with it for 15+ years
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
September 06 2013 19:37 GMT
#8862
On September 07 2013 03:47 MoonBear wrote:
So apparently putting Scry 1 on a Guildgate and taking away the Gate type makes a land Rare. Ok.


I already talked about this in the post above--guildgates had to be uncommon to give the set's theme an identity. When guilds are the main hook for a set, you need to make the things that allow them to work easy to access for the sake of drafts and booster pack buyers.

Monocolor seems to be the theme of this set and so dual lands are made rare--to show that being mono color in this set becomes rewarded.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-06 22:12:47
September 06 2013 22:11 GMT
#8863
I guess I'm one of the few people who likes the scry lands. At first I was obviously unimpressed when compared to the current duals we have. Then I thought about it more and love it. It will slow down the format which will be a nice change of pace instead of T3 hellrider T4 hellkite as of recently. Sure those cards are rotating but any similar strategy will be slower. Also, they will greatly benefit me as I've been known to keep some questionable hand with 1-2 lands but now if you get to scry turn 1 you can get your 3rd mana you need more consistently. I like.
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
September 06 2013 22:21 GMT
#8864
On September 07 2013 04:37 Thieving Magpie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 07 2013 03:47 MoonBear wrote:
So apparently putting Scry 1 on a Guildgate and taking away the Gate type makes a land Rare. Ok.


I already talked about this in the post above--guildgates had to be uncommon to give the set's theme an identity. When guilds are the main hook for a set, you need to make the things that allow them to work easy to access for the sake of drafts and booster pack buyers.

Monocolor seems to be the theme of this set and so dual lands are made rare--to show that being mono color in this set becomes rewarded.

Guildgates were common.
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
September 06 2013 22:27 GMT
#8865
why isnt Damping Matrix used more as sideboard tech?
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-06 23:41:01
September 06 2013 23:40 GMT
#8866
Stony Silence is almost always better. And if you are trying to stop Twin/Pod then torpor orb is almost just as good if not better in some cases for less mana.
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24799 Posts
September 07 2013 03:25 GMT
#8867
I finished top four two weeks in a row at FNM. This is a milestone!

Tonight I went mostly fliers, with a shadowborn demon and a windreader sphinx. My favorite play was when I put out the demon on one turn, sacrificed him during my next upkeep, then used a corpse hauler's ability to bring him back to my hand and cast him again.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
FireSA
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia555 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-07 06:06:18
September 07 2013 06:05 GMT
#8868
haha you can use that 2b instant to get him back as well, EDIT: is called grim return, but similar trick, only he hits the field straight away the turn you sac him. But great job. Fliers is always a good win con, and ub has card draw, great removal, and more evasion if you need it.


Regarding the new lands, I plan on playing UW in standard, so will use 4 uw guildgates till the scry lands come out. And then prob 3 d spheres, 3 or 4 of the 1u 1/3 scry 2 or whatever guy, then the legendary that can't be blocked by 3 power or above, and who lets you cast the spell you exile off the top of their library, thassa, bident, and then all the uw stuff from current standard that doesn't rotate, plust nightveil specters I guess....plan is prob curve out fine, play thassa or bident whenever, board wipe, and then just bring out aetherling and whatever else, and have essence scatter and the like to back it up. Will see how it all goes..
RagequitBM
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada2270 Posts
September 07 2013 07:33 GMT
#8869
So if I buy cards in real life, I can't type in some code to "import" them to mtgo? I think the pokemon TCG has something like that so I was just curious.
Twitch.tv/Ragequitbm for all the fans
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-07 08:29:03
September 07 2013 08:28 GMT
#8870
People calling this a money grab are hilarious. It's called balance, They do it every set. Guildgates were common for a reason in Ravnica and Scry lands are rare in Theros for a reason.

Why would you even call it a money grab when the lands are simply guildgates with scry? The only thing that will keep them relevant post standard is EDH.

Edit: About actually liking them? I'm a huge fan as an off beat midrange player. Lands than help me smooth out draws and get me the colors I need. TYVM
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Audemed
Profile Joined November 2010
United States893 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-07 08:42:50
September 07 2013 08:42 GMT
#8871
Got bored of playing UWR control in a meta with 65%+ GR or jund, so right before FNM I made a Boros/Archangel deck right before I left. Went 5-1, finished tied 1st-2nd. Beat 2 jund, junk goodstuff.dec, grixis control, and some goofly slivers. Lost to golgari control, desecration demon so strong vs boros >.>

Best parts of the night were the packs; got a free M14 from a raffle during the night, pulled a jedi. Won 5 packs from placing, pull serenity and garruk, caller!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -George Orwell
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
September 07 2013 09:15 GMT
#8872
On September 07 2013 17:42 Audemed wrote:
Got bored of playing UWR control in a meta with 65%+ GR or jund, so right before FNM I made a Boros/Archangel deck right before I left. Went 5-1, finished tied 1st-2nd. Beat 2 jund, junk goodstuff.dec, grixis control, and some goofly slivers. Lost to golgari control, desecration demon so strong vs boros >.>

Best parts of the night were the packs; got a free M14 from a raffle during the night, pulled a jedi. Won 5 packs from placing, pull serenity and garruk, caller!


This is kinda what I want to run postrotation. Chained to the rocks <3
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Fawkes
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada1935 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-07 18:30:22
September 07 2013 18:25 GMT
#8873
Just did my first two M14 Swiss Drafts.

Went 1-2, 1-2, 2-1 in first one, I threw both 3rd games by misplaying (blocks and attacks, coulda killed someone but didn't then end up losing).

Went 2-1, 2-1, 2-1 in second one. Didn't open anything interesting, so slowly bleeding :D I think I rush my moves too much, guess I should play slower since I'm not exactly losing on time. The third match here lasted a total of under 4 minutes. 1st game was 2 minutes, second game was under 1 minute and third game ended in like 30s. Thank you dealer.

I also stream my games at twitch.tv/Fawkes711 whenever I play. So if anybody is bored and wants to criticize my drafting or plays, feel free to stop by
Taeyeon ~ Jennie ~ Seulgi ~ Irene @Fawkes711
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24799 Posts
September 07 2013 18:46 GMT
#8874
I just did the free sealed event for magic's anniversary at my local store. The booster I popped had nothing special except for a dismiss intro dream so I chose blue for my deck. I sideboarded it in for the divination. I went two and one, not that the results really matter since the prize is one booster pack no matter your record lol. I'm going to a free sealed tournament tonight at another place.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24799 Posts
September 08 2013 04:08 GMT
#8875
I finished the other free event. My booster had a mindsparker and an academy raider which I put into a red deck, pulling out seismic stomp and one of the goblin shortcutters (if I recall correctly these were the only swaps). I went 3-0, again not that it matters. That red deck is so obnoxious lol... I got mana screwed several games and still managed to win some of them.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Kinie
Profile Joined December 2011
United States3106 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-08 06:08:03
September 08 2013 06:07 GMT
#8876
So for those who are curious about a recently spoiled Theros card, read it and weep, for a "fixed" FoF exists:

Steam Augury 2UR
Instant (R)
Reveal the top five cards of your library and separate them into two piles. An opponent chooses one of those piles. Put that pile into your hand and the other into your graveyard.

This probably cements a control deck into URx, with the X being white for Chained to the Rocks and Supreme Verdict.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
September 08 2013 13:58 GMT
#8877
Eh, that card...I am not so sure about. Flipping the choices on FoF is a big deal.
Get it by your hands...
MoonBear
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Straight outta Johto18973 Posts
September 08 2013 14:06 GMT
#8878
This will never be as good as FoF. For one, you can't get the exact card you wanted. For instance, with FoF you can FoF in response to a spell to dig for a counter and if there's a counterspell you can always get it (and maybe other cards if they don't split it 4-1). You also can't FoF EoT to hit land drops but not reveal you need that land and potentially draw extra cards off of it if your opponent splits badly. A pity since I don't think FoF in Modern would be that broken and FoF isn't playable Legacy.

Also EOTSAYL just doesn't have the same ring as EOTFOFYL.
ModeratorA dream. Do you have one that has cursed you like that? Or maybe... a wish?
heartlxp
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1258 Posts
September 08 2013 20:09 GMT
#8879
hi guys, sorry if this has been asked but i was wondering how often limited tourneys run?

i really like hearthstone's arena and wouldn't mind spending some $$ on MTGO if there's something similar
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
September 08 2013 20:18 GMT
#8880
There are about 3-4 drafts starting every minute. Finding events won't be a problem.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
Prev 1 442 443 444 445 446 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings82
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta33
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 144
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10609
White-Ra 342
Dota 2
monkeys_forever802
NeuroSwarm111
League of Legends
Doublelift5470
JimRising 673
Counter-Strike
fl0m3896
minikerr24
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox769
AZ_Axe168
Other Games
summit1g7762
Maynarde190
KnowMe188
ArmadaUGS106
Mew2King31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick917
BasetradeTV181
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 8
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 72
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 4m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
10h 4m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 4m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.