• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:33
CEST 06:33
KST 13:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11005 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 445

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 443 444 445 446 447 665 Next
heartlxp
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1258 Posts
September 08 2013 20:28 GMT
#8881
okay so i just pay the 10 bucks for the account and use the event tickets right? how much for additional of those btw
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
September 08 2013 20:42 GMT
#8882
On September 09 2013 05:28 heartlxp wrote:
okay so i just pay the 10 bucks for the account and use the event tickets right? how much for additional of those btw


Yeah you'll get some tickets to play with for free, but those events won't give you cards. To play in drafts for real cards, it costs ~$11 per draft.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
heartlxp
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1258 Posts
September 08 2013 20:54 GMT
#8883
okay, if i have no intention of keeping real cards, is there a cheaper draft where i just play the games and don't keep any cards (like arena in hearthstone?)
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24799 Posts
September 08 2013 21:40 GMT
#8884
On September 09 2013 05:54 heartlxp wrote:
okay, if i have no intention of keeping real cards, is there a cheaper draft where i just play the games and don't keep any cards (like arena in hearthstone?)

Online, you can do phantom events. The awards they give you are designed to cover future entry fees rather than give you cards. No cards are kept/awarded.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
EMIYA
Profile Joined March 2011
United States433 Posts
September 08 2013 22:43 GMT
#8885
At my FNM 80% of decks are every aggro comp imaginable ranging from competitive to home brews. What competitive decks are best suited to dealing with aggro? american control?

It's frustrating to lose against the janky aggro decks with 99% creatures so i was trying to brain storm some counter measures--for instance, i have a friend who plays stereotypical tournament jund and loses despite having all the expensive ass cards.
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-08 22:47:37
September 08 2013 22:45 GMT
#8886
drafted M14 today, went UR and got 2-1. I honestly think I should have got 3-0 but I kept greedy hands and got mana screwed, so it's my fault/misplay in the end. I think the Izzet color combo is super strong in M14. Blue has really strong tempo and disruption cards and card advantage (I got 2x divinations, 2x claustrophobias, 2x disperse, 1 time ebb), while red has strong 5 power beaters and lava axe is a surprisingly good finisher. I also think you can make a really sick tempo deck with trained condors, firecats, disperse, and time ebb.

On September 09 2013 07:43 EMIYA wrote:
At my FNM 80% of decks are every aggro comp imaginable ranging from competitive to home brews. What competitive decks are best suited to dealing with aggro? american control?

It's frustrating to lose against the janky aggro decks with 99% creatures so i was trying to brain storm some counter measures--for instance, i have a friend who plays stereotypical tournament jund and loses despite having all the expensive ass cards.

back in the day, wall of omens, path to exil and day of judgement were the bane of aggro decks
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
September 09 2013 00:41 GMT
#8887
Aggro decks do not like T2 Loxodon Smiter. I've been stomping pretty well with Naya Midrange skewed towards anti-control because aggro is 55/45 G1 anyway. G2 I have Trostani and Centaur Healers to supplement it.
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
September 09 2013 03:02 GMT
#8888
anyone watching SCG Philly right now? The classic tribal matchup Goblins vs Elves is being played right now in the Legacy tourney. It's very entertaining to watch,
iGrok
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5142 Posts
September 09 2013 03:54 GMT
#8889
Ok, I need some advice. Its pack 3, I'm in GR aggro with baloths and pitchburns among other things. Pack 3: Kalonian Hydra, Foil Shivan Dragon. I'm probably leaning a bit green right now so my gut instinct is to go Kalonian, but Shiv can straight up win even more than the Hydra IMO so I'm not sure! What do you guys think?
MOTM | Stim.tv | TL Mafia | Fantasy Fighting! | SNSD
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
September 09 2013 03:55 GMT
#8890
On September 09 2013 12:54 iGrok wrote:
Ok, I need some advice. Its pack 3, I'm in GR aggro with baloths and pitchburns among other things. Pack 3: Kalonian Hydra, Foil Shivan Dragon. I'm probably leaning a bit green right now so my gut instinct is to go Kalonian, but Shiv can straight up win even more than the Hydra IMO so I'm not sure! What do you guys think?


If you choose between two bombs, the bomb in your color matters more than the bomb outside your color.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
iGrok
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5142 Posts
September 09 2013 03:58 GMT
#8891
On September 09 2013 12:55 Thieving Magpie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 09 2013 12:54 iGrok wrote:
Ok, I need some advice. Its pack 3, I'm in GR aggro with baloths and pitchburns among other things. Pack 3: Kalonian Hydra, Foil Shivan Dragon. I'm probably leaning a bit green right now so my gut instinct is to go Kalonian, but Shiv can straight up win even more than the Hydra IMO so I'm not sure! What do you guys think?


If you choose between two bombs, the bomb in your color matters more than the bomb outside your color.

I'm in both colors. I've got a tiny bit more green than red, but I'm in both for sure - thats why this is so hard!
MOTM | Stim.tv | TL Mafia | Fantasy Fighting! | SNSD
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
September 09 2013 04:06 GMT
#8892
On September 09 2013 12:58 iGrok wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 09 2013 12:55 Thieving Magpie wrote:
On September 09 2013 12:54 iGrok wrote:
Ok, I need some advice. Its pack 3, I'm in GR aggro with baloths and pitchburns among other things. Pack 3: Kalonian Hydra, Foil Shivan Dragon. I'm probably leaning a bit green right now so my gut instinct is to go Kalonian, but Shiv can straight up win even more than the Hydra IMO so I'm not sure! What do you guys think?


If you choose between two bombs, the bomb in your color matters more than the bomb outside your color.

I'm in both colors. I've got a tiny bit more green than red, but I'm in both for sure - thats why this is so hard!


If you have a lot of big dudes, get the flyer. If you don't have a lot of big dudes, keep the hydra
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
FireSA
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia555 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-09 04:22:50
September 09 2013 04:14 GMT
#8893
Just pick the hydra and go heavier on the green.

EDIT: Green is generally the better colour anyway, and imo the best colour in M14 just because it has soooo many good cards. Blue is probably the second best colour, but anything really goes with green (I often go black or red paired with green, all about evasion/removal to complement the creatures)
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
September 09 2013 04:38 GMT
#8894
On September 09 2013 13:14 FireSA wrote:
Just pick the hydra and go heavier on the green.

EDIT: Green is generally the better colour anyway, and imo the best colour in M14 just because it has soooo many good cards. Blue is probably the second best colour, but anything really goes with green (I often go black or red paired with green, all about evasion/removal to complement the creatures)


A more general answer is this. Consistency is better than flexibility, flexibility is better than redundancy.

Sticking to your main color is always better, because it is consistent.

If both colors are equally dominant, you pick the bomb that gives you a different avenue of attack.

If you already have 3-4 baloths, getting a 5th beefy ground dude does not give you more flexibility, just redundancy.
If you only have 1-2 baloths, getting a Flying 5/5 that attacks past blockers does not give you more consistency, just more flexibility.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
Pooshlmer
Profile Joined August 2008
United States1001 Posts
September 09 2013 06:02 GMT
#8895
Hydra is way better, dragon can be chumped, hydra is an 8/8 trampler next turn. Basically they have two turns to deal with it.
FireSA
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia555 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-09 06:30:36
September 09 2013 06:30 GMT
#8896
lol if you have 3-4 baloths, still pick the hydra, and cut one baloth from md..you don't really want 3-4 baloth + a 5/5 flier (with double mana symbol of different colour) either..obviously depends on the rest of the deck, but yeah, hydra (almost) every time
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
September 09 2013 06:31 GMT
#8897
Hydra is simply one of the best cards, if not the best card, in the set. I can't think of anything I'd take over it offhand. Shivan is okay, but nowhere near Hydra's level. Hydra wins on turn 7 if they don't kill it, while Shivan wins on turn 9-11 and has more answers in the format.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
September 09 2013 07:06 GMT
#8898
On September 09 2013 12:54 iGrok wrote:
Ok, I need some advice. Its pack 3, I'm in GR aggro with baloths and pitchburns among other things. Pack 3: Kalonian Hydra, Foil Shivan Dragon. I'm probably leaning a bit green right now so my gut instinct is to go Kalonian, but Shiv can straight up win even more than the Hydra IMO so I'm not sure! What do you guys think?


This shouldn't be close. One's SHINY!!

I can hardly think of a card of rather have over Hydra. Jace?
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
FireSA
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia555 Posts
September 09 2013 07:16 GMT
#8899
On September 09 2013 16:06 slyboogie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 09 2013 12:54 iGrok wrote:
Ok, I need some advice. Its pack 3, I'm in GR aggro with baloths and pitchburns among other things. Pack 3: Kalonian Hydra, Foil Shivan Dragon. I'm probably leaning a bit green right now so my gut instinct is to go Kalonian, but Shiv can straight up win even more than the Hydra IMO so I'm not sure! What do you guys think?


This shouldn't be close. One's SHINY!!

I can hardly think of a card of rather have over Hydra. Jace?


Lol p1p1 maybe. If you are about half and half in pack 3 and have a lay of the land, I'd pick Jace over hydra. It'd be a hard choice between Hydra and Garruk p1p1, I think. Archangel is up there as well. Not much else just says pick me pick me..
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
September 09 2013 07:25 GMT
#8900
On September 09 2013 16:16 FireSA wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 09 2013 16:06 slyboogie wrote:
On September 09 2013 12:54 iGrok wrote:
Ok, I need some advice. Its pack 3, I'm in GR aggro with baloths and pitchburns among other things. Pack 3: Kalonian Hydra, Foil Shivan Dragon. I'm probably leaning a bit green right now so my gut instinct is to go Kalonian, but Shiv can straight up win even more than the Hydra IMO so I'm not sure! What do you guys think?


This shouldn't be close. One's SHINY!!

I can hardly think of a card of rather have over Hydra. Jace?


Lol p1p1 maybe. If you are about half and half in pack 3 and have a lay of the land, I'd pick Jace over hydra. It'd be a hard choice between Hydra and Garruk p1p1, I think. Archangel is up there as well. Not much else just says pick me pick me..


Hydra over Archangel of Thune p1p1 a hundred times out of a hundred. Garruk maybe, you can do a poor-mans sub of Hydra with a grip of Baloths and Sporemounds, I guess. But I think Hydra's better than Garruk and it's probably by a fair amount.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Prev 1 443 444 445 446 447 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings133
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 186
NeuroSwarm 172
StarCraft: Brood War
HiyA 338
BeSt 158
hero 97
sorry 41
Mind 26
Bale 16
Terrorterran 16
ZergMaN 13
Icarus 5
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1017
League of Legends
JimRising 717
Counter-Strike
taco 425
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King157
Other Games
summit1g10764
Maynarde198
ArmadaUGS33
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick484
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 8
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH219
• Hupsaiya 139
• practicex 35
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota299
League of Legends
• Rush1226
• Stunt215
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
5h 27m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
6h 27m
Monday Night Weeklies
11h 27m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 19h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.