• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:04
CEST 18:04
KST 01:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9481 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 326

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 324 325 326 327 328 665 Next
n0ise
Profile Joined April 2010
3452 Posts
March 02 2013 15:56 GMT
#6501
On March 02 2013 22:44 MoonBear wrote:
Was just a follow up to what you wrote haha


oh ok ^^

BTW, the guy was saying

2 turns later, he draws before he untaps his loxodon smiter. Oh yeah, you can't untap that


is that actually how it works? Can you actually make someone not untap something because he drew a card or even resolved an upkeep trigger/effect? Seems weird.
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
March 02 2013 16:02 GMT
#6502
On March 03 2013 00:39 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2013 16:41 spinesheath wrote:
On March 02 2013 14:35 JingleHell wrote:
On March 02 2013 13:36 semantics wrote:
On March 02 2013 13:29 MaestroSC wrote:
this game makes me want to cry occasionally..

am running 26 mana... get mana blocked after 2... after mulling to 4 to get 2 lands in my hand... get mana blocked til turn 7 wtf

seriously only running 2 color mana, 13 of each. didnt draw a single land til turn 7... sometimes you just are supposed to lose

Curse of the shuffle at least in MTGO you can blame the MTGO shuffler for hating you XD. That or you can just play decks that only need 3 lands to cast 99% of the deck.


I blame the guy who cut the cards usually.

Same problem at tonight's draft. Except not with lands. I was worried at first, couldn't even quite cut to 40, ran 43 Orzhov with 16 basics, one gate, and one keyrune.

Then, proceed to never get any extort triggers ever. I literally did more "you lose I gain" combining Zarichi Tiger with Vizkopa Guildmage than I did off of extort. 6 triggers in 43 cards, so not a ton, but you'd think I'd see one or two.

Then, the one game I get Deathpack Angel, it was a foregone conclusion anyways, so swinging him with both actives off the guildmage was just overkill.

Literally, the entire deck was "get one or two extorts down, then play cheap spells until they're dead". And the cards would have been great. Death's Approach, Shielded Passage, Beckon Apparition, Treasury Thrull chumpers, Executioners Swings...

Was kinda weird. I did have a game where I got all my creatures that didn't have extort, and played all aggro upside a mana flooded Gruul deck though. 1-2 on matches. Meh.

17 lands in 43 cards isn't exactly the greatest of ratios, especially in orzhov. And things like shielded passage certainly can be cut before you play 43 cards.


I think you managed to not read a few important parts of what you responded to. I never got mana screwed. I got extort screwed. I tended to end up with 7 lands and no way to extort my one and two mana spells. I was surprised the lands worked out, but they were never my problem.

Oh, and actually, mathematically speaking, it's a slightly better ratio than running 24 lands in a 60 card deck.

You're being results oriented. 17 in 43 is a bad ratio for orzhov GC draft decks. 17 in 40 is the normal ratio (and a keyrune doesn't replace a 17th land in 40 cards), orzhov wouldn't mind 18 either. Nothing wrong with my statement just because lands were not an issue this one time.

You can't really compare that to 24 in 60 either. Orzhov is somewhat comparable to control decks, which usually play 25-26 lands. Plus this is draft and not constructed. The curve of draft decks is typically top heavy compared to constructed decks since there just aren't enough good cheap spells available, so you need more lands than a constructed deck would need.

Besides, I also mentioned that you should cut your card count down. Which increases the chance of you drawing extorters, assuming you don't cut those. You really can't complain about not drawing your good cards if you dilute your deck more than necessary.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
NeonFlare
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Finland1307 Posts
March 02 2013 16:12 GMT
#6503
On March 03 2013 00:56 n0ise wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2013 22:44 MoonBear wrote:
Was just a follow up to what you wrote haha


oh ok ^^

BTW, the guy was saying

Show nested quote +
2 turns later, he draws before he untaps his loxodon smiter. Oh yeah, you can't untap that


is that actually how it works? Can you actually make someone not untap something because he drew a card or even resolved an upkeep trigger/effect? Seems weird.


Doesn't he need to reverse all the way back and fix the situation as you can't choose to not untap your stuff unless mentioned somewhere otherwise?
MoonBear
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Straight outta Johto18973 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-02 16:26:50
March 02 2013 16:23 GMT
#6504
On March 03 2013 01:12 NeonFlare wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 00:56 n0ise wrote:
On March 02 2013 22:44 MoonBear wrote:
Was just a follow up to what you wrote haha


oh ok ^^

BTW, the guy was saying

2 turns later, he draws before he untaps his loxodon smiter. Oh yeah, you can't untap that


is that actually how it works? Can you actually make someone not untap something because he drew a card or even resolved an upkeep trigger/effect? Seems weird.


Doesn't he need to reverse all the way back and fix the situation as you can't choose to not untap your stuff unless mentioned somewhere otherwise?

Regular REL (aka FNM): Rewind game state to Untap Phase and untap. Then draw Loxodon Smiter again. In practise though you just untap and say "Oops my bad" because it has the same end result. No Warnings although you might get a Caution from a Judge (basically a finger wagging with no consequences attached).

Competitive REL (aka proper tournaments): Must untap due to out of order sequencing. Rewind game to untap step, untap and then continue from there. Might be given a warning for Game Rule Violation and if any triggers were missed due to forgetting untap phase (e.g. "When this permanent untaps do XYZ" stuff) it might also result in an additional warning for Failure to Maintain Game State.
ModeratorA dream. Do you have one that has cursed you like that? Or maybe... a wish?
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
March 02 2013 16:31 GMT
#6505
On March 03 2013 01:02 spinesheath wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 00:39 JingleHell wrote:
On March 02 2013 16:41 spinesheath wrote:
On March 02 2013 14:35 JingleHell wrote:
On March 02 2013 13:36 semantics wrote:
On March 02 2013 13:29 MaestroSC wrote:
this game makes me want to cry occasionally..

am running 26 mana... get mana blocked after 2... after mulling to 4 to get 2 lands in my hand... get mana blocked til turn 7 wtf

seriously only running 2 color mana, 13 of each. didnt draw a single land til turn 7... sometimes you just are supposed to lose

Curse of the shuffle at least in MTGO you can blame the MTGO shuffler for hating you XD. That or you can just play decks that only need 3 lands to cast 99% of the deck.


I blame the guy who cut the cards usually.

Same problem at tonight's draft. Except not with lands. I was worried at first, couldn't even quite cut to 40, ran 43 Orzhov with 16 basics, one gate, and one keyrune.

Then, proceed to never get any extort triggers ever. I literally did more "you lose I gain" combining Zarichi Tiger with Vizkopa Guildmage than I did off of extort. 6 triggers in 43 cards, so not a ton, but you'd think I'd see one or two.

Then, the one game I get Deathpack Angel, it was a foregone conclusion anyways, so swinging him with both actives off the guildmage was just overkill.

Literally, the entire deck was "get one or two extorts down, then play cheap spells until they're dead". And the cards would have been great. Death's Approach, Shielded Passage, Beckon Apparition, Treasury Thrull chumpers, Executioners Swings...

Was kinda weird. I did have a game where I got all my creatures that didn't have extort, and played all aggro upside a mana flooded Gruul deck though. 1-2 on matches. Meh.

17 lands in 43 cards isn't exactly the greatest of ratios, especially in orzhov. And things like shielded passage certainly can be cut before you play 43 cards.


I think you managed to not read a few important parts of what you responded to. I never got mana screwed. I got extort screwed. I tended to end up with 7 lands and no way to extort my one and two mana spells. I was surprised the lands worked out, but they were never my problem.

Oh, and actually, mathematically speaking, it's a slightly better ratio than running 24 lands in a 60 card deck.

You're being results oriented. 17 in 43 is a bad ratio for orzhov GC draft decks. 17 in 40 is the normal ratio (and a keyrune doesn't replace a 17th land in 40 cards), orzhov wouldn't mind 18 either. Nothing wrong with my statement just because lands were not an issue this one time.

You can't really compare that to 24 in 60 either. Orzhov is somewhat comparable to control decks, which usually play 25-26 lands. Plus this is draft and not constructed. The curve of draft decks is typically top heavy compared to constructed decks since there just aren't enough good cheap spells available, so you need more lands than a constructed deck would need.

Besides, I also mentioned that you should cut your card count down. Which increases the chance of you drawing extorters, assuming you don't cut those. You really can't complain about not drawing your good cards if you dilute your deck more than necessary.


The keyrune became the 18th available mana. Not 17. Speaking of failing to read.

I diluted my deck by 3 cards to keep "don't die now" and "kill shit now" effects. And yeah, I think I can complain. Let's try being rational instead of knee jerking for 6 whole fucking seconds. 3 extra cards. That difference is ~1% difference in the odds of drawing a keyword card with 6 triggers. From 15% to 13.95% specifically. Which, spread over 8-10 turns (that was my short games last night, not my average), suggests that not seeing those triggers is bad luck no matter how you cut it.

That's ignoring the part where every time I scooped, I flipped the next 3 cards and still wouldn't see a trigger. No matter how I shuffled, those 6 cards had a tendency to be in the bottom half of my deck. And that just defies probability no matter what.

DCLXVI
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States729 Posts
March 02 2013 16:53 GMT
#6506
Is there a reason why I can't seem to find a grand prix or scg open on twitch today? I like to keep one of those open in the background and watch a bit but neither seem to be on this weekend.
I can already see the ending
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
March 02 2013 17:08 GMT
#6507
On March 03 2013 01:31 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 01:02 spinesheath wrote:
On March 03 2013 00:39 JingleHell wrote:
On March 02 2013 16:41 spinesheath wrote:
On March 02 2013 14:35 JingleHell wrote:
On March 02 2013 13:36 semantics wrote:
On March 02 2013 13:29 MaestroSC wrote:
this game makes me want to cry occasionally..

am running 26 mana... get mana blocked after 2... after mulling to 4 to get 2 lands in my hand... get mana blocked til turn 7 wtf

seriously only running 2 color mana, 13 of each. didnt draw a single land til turn 7... sometimes you just are supposed to lose

Curse of the shuffle at least in MTGO you can blame the MTGO shuffler for hating you XD. That or you can just play decks that only need 3 lands to cast 99% of the deck.


I blame the guy who cut the cards usually.

Same problem at tonight's draft. Except not with lands. I was worried at first, couldn't even quite cut to 40, ran 43 Orzhov with 16 basics, one gate, and one keyrune.

Then, proceed to never get any extort triggers ever. I literally did more "you lose I gain" combining Zarichi Tiger with Vizkopa Guildmage than I did off of extort. 6 triggers in 43 cards, so not a ton, but you'd think I'd see one or two.

Then, the one game I get Deathpack Angel, it was a foregone conclusion anyways, so swinging him with both actives off the guildmage was just overkill.

Literally, the entire deck was "get one or two extorts down, then play cheap spells until they're dead". And the cards would have been great. Death's Approach, Shielded Passage, Beckon Apparition, Treasury Thrull chumpers, Executioners Swings...

Was kinda weird. I did have a game where I got all my creatures that didn't have extort, and played all aggro upside a mana flooded Gruul deck though. 1-2 on matches. Meh.

17 lands in 43 cards isn't exactly the greatest of ratios, especially in orzhov. And things like shielded passage certainly can be cut before you play 43 cards.


I think you managed to not read a few important parts of what you responded to. I never got mana screwed. I got extort screwed. I tended to end up with 7 lands and no way to extort my one and two mana spells. I was surprised the lands worked out, but they were never my problem.

Oh, and actually, mathematically speaking, it's a slightly better ratio than running 24 lands in a 60 card deck.

You're being results oriented. 17 in 43 is a bad ratio for orzhov GC draft decks. 17 in 40 is the normal ratio (and a keyrune doesn't replace a 17th land in 40 cards), orzhov wouldn't mind 18 either. Nothing wrong with my statement just because lands were not an issue this one time.

You can't really compare that to 24 in 60 either. Orzhov is somewhat comparable to control decks, which usually play 25-26 lands. Plus this is draft and not constructed. The curve of draft decks is typically top heavy compared to constructed decks since there just aren't enough good cheap spells available, so you need more lands than a constructed deck would need.

Besides, I also mentioned that you should cut your card count down. Which increases the chance of you drawing extorters, assuming you don't cut those. You really can't complain about not drawing your good cards if you dilute your deck more than necessary.


The keyrune became the 18th available mana. Not 17. Speaking of failing to read.

I diluted my deck by 3 cards to keep "don't die now" and "kill shit now" effects. And yeah, I think I can complain. Let's try being rational instead of knee jerking for 6 whole fucking seconds. 3 extra cards. That difference is ~1% difference in the odds of drawing a keyword card with 6 triggers. From 15% to 13.95% specifically. Which, spread over 8-10 turns (that was my short games last night, not my average), suggests that not seeing those triggers is bad luck no matter how you cut it.

That's ignoring the part where every time I scooped, I flipped the next 3 cards and still wouldn't see a trigger. No matter how I shuffled, those 6 cards had a tendency to be in the bottom half of my deck. And that just defies probability no matter what.


Stop acting like I'm attacking you personally. I'm not, calm down. I'm trying to help you improve your deckbuilding.

Don't accuse me of failure to read when it's your own failure to read. "A keyrune doesn't replace a 17th land in 40 cards." You were running 43 cards, in which case you should be running at least 18 lands, more likely 19. In that case the keyrune doesn't replace the 18th/19th land.

If you go from 15% chance to draw a trigger to 13.95%, that is actually a 7% decrease in chance to draw a trigger. That's not irrelevant.

You are still being results oriented. It doesn't matter what happened in those games. Your land ratio was off, and your deck should most likely not have had more than 40 cards. "don't die now" spells aren't something you put into a deck as a 43rd card. Not even as a 41st. Trying to avoid death is not a good strategy in MTG.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
Lyter
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United Kingdom2145 Posts
March 02 2013 17:14 GMT
#6508
On March 03 2013 01:53 DCLXVI wrote:
Is there a reason why I can't seem to find a grand prix or scg open on twitch today? I like to keep one of those open in the background and watch a bit but neither seem to be on this weekend.


gp yokohama I assume has finished for the day, and scgopen vegas starts in 15min
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
March 02 2013 17:28 GMT
#6509
If nobody is doing the coverage, nobody is doing the coverage.
Get it by your hands...
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
March 02 2013 17:47 GMT
#6510
On March 03 2013 02:08 spinesheath wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 01:31 JingleHell wrote:
On March 03 2013 01:02 spinesheath wrote:
On March 03 2013 00:39 JingleHell wrote:
On March 02 2013 16:41 spinesheath wrote:
On March 02 2013 14:35 JingleHell wrote:
On March 02 2013 13:36 semantics wrote:
On March 02 2013 13:29 MaestroSC wrote:
this game makes me want to cry occasionally..

am running 26 mana... get mana blocked after 2... after mulling to 4 to get 2 lands in my hand... get mana blocked til turn 7 wtf

seriously only running 2 color mana, 13 of each. didnt draw a single land til turn 7... sometimes you just are supposed to lose

Curse of the shuffle at least in MTGO you can blame the MTGO shuffler for hating you XD. That or you can just play decks that only need 3 lands to cast 99% of the deck.


I blame the guy who cut the cards usually.

Same problem at tonight's draft. Except not with lands. I was worried at first, couldn't even quite cut to 40, ran 43 Orzhov with 16 basics, one gate, and one keyrune.

Then, proceed to never get any extort triggers ever. I literally did more "you lose I gain" combining Zarichi Tiger with Vizkopa Guildmage than I did off of extort. 6 triggers in 43 cards, so not a ton, but you'd think I'd see one or two.

Then, the one game I get Deathpack Angel, it was a foregone conclusion anyways, so swinging him with both actives off the guildmage was just overkill.

Literally, the entire deck was "get one or two extorts down, then play cheap spells until they're dead". And the cards would have been great. Death's Approach, Shielded Passage, Beckon Apparition, Treasury Thrull chumpers, Executioners Swings...

Was kinda weird. I did have a game where I got all my creatures that didn't have extort, and played all aggro upside a mana flooded Gruul deck though. 1-2 on matches. Meh.

17 lands in 43 cards isn't exactly the greatest of ratios, especially in orzhov. And things like shielded passage certainly can be cut before you play 43 cards.


I think you managed to not read a few important parts of what you responded to. I never got mana screwed. I got extort screwed. I tended to end up with 7 lands and no way to extort my one and two mana spells. I was surprised the lands worked out, but they were never my problem.

Oh, and actually, mathematically speaking, it's a slightly better ratio than running 24 lands in a 60 card deck.

You're being results oriented. 17 in 43 is a bad ratio for orzhov GC draft decks. 17 in 40 is the normal ratio (and a keyrune doesn't replace a 17th land in 40 cards), orzhov wouldn't mind 18 either. Nothing wrong with my statement just because lands were not an issue this one time.

You can't really compare that to 24 in 60 either. Orzhov is somewhat comparable to control decks, which usually play 25-26 lands. Plus this is draft and not constructed. The curve of draft decks is typically top heavy compared to constructed decks since there just aren't enough good cheap spells available, so you need more lands than a constructed deck would need.

Besides, I also mentioned that you should cut your card count down. Which increases the chance of you drawing extorters, assuming you don't cut those. You really can't complain about not drawing your good cards if you dilute your deck more than necessary.


The keyrune became the 18th available mana. Not 17. Speaking of failing to read.

I diluted my deck by 3 cards to keep "don't die now" and "kill shit now" effects. And yeah, I think I can complain. Let's try being rational instead of knee jerking for 6 whole fucking seconds. 3 extra cards. That difference is ~1% difference in the odds of drawing a keyword card with 6 triggers. From 15% to 13.95% specifically. Which, spread over 8-10 turns (that was my short games last night, not my average), suggests that not seeing those triggers is bad luck no matter how you cut it.

That's ignoring the part where every time I scooped, I flipped the next 3 cards and still wouldn't see a trigger. No matter how I shuffled, those 6 cards had a tendency to be in the bottom half of my deck. And that just defies probability no matter what.


Stop acting like I'm attacking you personally. I'm not, calm down. I'm trying to help you improve your deckbuilding.

Don't accuse me of failure to read when it's your own failure to read. "A keyrune doesn't replace a 17th land in 40 cards." You were running 43 cards, in which case you should be running at least 18 lands, more likely 19. In that case the keyrune doesn't replace the 18th/19th land.

If you go from 15% chance to draw a trigger to 13.95%, that is actually a 7% decrease in chance to draw a trigger. That's not irrelevant.

You are still being results oriented. It doesn't matter what happened in those games. Your land ratio was off, and your deck should most likely not have had more than 40 cards. "don't die now" spells aren't something you put into a deck as a 43rd card. Not even as a 41st. Trying to avoid death is not a good strategy in MTG.


It is an attack. Unless you're mentally incompetent, the other option is refusing to read, which generally means you're just going on the offensive regarding something. If I nearly always had mana I couldn't use I clearly didn't have too few lands for my deck.

Same problem at tonight's draft. Except not with lands.


I had lands. I always had lands. Tons of lands. Thus "not with lands". The lack of extort triggers being a problem strongly suggests I wasn't extorting, which, in turn, requires mana. If I hadn't had the mana to extort, I wouldn't have said I didn't have the extort triggers to extort. I wouldn't have said "not with lands".

Just stop. In particular, I was actually originally making an effort at a light hearted aside, and I certainly didn't ask for advice. If I'd asked for advice, you would have already failed the IQ test by insisting I needed more lands when I always had unused lands, and I wouldn't be listening to you.

And yeah, cards that keep your creatures alive ARE good in a stalling deck. Just because there is a level of skill in a draft doesn't mean you can't get screwed by luck. Did I draft perfectly? Probably not. Does that mean that somehow it negates the fact that even on the game where I went through something like half my deck, without milling, I still didn't see extort triggers? No. The odds of that are silly.
n0ise
Profile Joined April 2010
3452 Posts
March 02 2013 18:00 GMT
#6511
Dude, first of all calm down. This is a fantastic place to vent frustrations, and people are generally supportive.

At the same time people are free to react, and you can't expect anyone here to pat you on the back when you say 'my 43 draft deck is not consistent'. It's your choice in the end, but again, it's normal that someone will have something to say about it.
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
March 02 2013 18:01 GMT
#6512
Can someone else explain to him why he is being results oriented and why that is a bad thing?
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
March 02 2013 18:04 GMT
#6513
Keep it civil you two.

As for not seeing extorts, you guys seem to have the notion that all your cards are perfectly spread throughout your deck as your model when calculating probabilities when that probably isn't the case unless you guys randomized for a good period of time.

Also, 6 extorters not as many as you think.
Get it by your hands...
FallDownMarigold
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States3710 Posts
March 02 2013 18:28 GMT
#6514
Last night I played MTG for the first time ever at a buddies house. He had some friends over and I saw some cards and was like "oh nice I used to collect/hustle these on the playground when all the kids were doing that, but never actually played". Then next thing I knew he was busting out some decks, and then 6 of us ended up starting a game. It was sweet.

I get that this is the online thread, but I searched around and could not find the card version of this thread. I figure there are people in here that are familiar with the cards, so I'll start here...

A) Is there an equivalent thread here for MTG:card game? (I searched, believe it or not, but failed :/)
B) When you want to start building a deck/collection, how can you obtain random cards? I like the idea of "drops"/"RNG", and I feel like buying a pack of cards that have randomly selected rares/uncommons/commons would be akin to finding drops in an online game like Diablo...kinda. So...I recall there being "booster packs" in which you'd find some predefined number of uncommons/commons/lands, which would be random. You might get a $50 card... you might get crap. Is this still true? Or, can you only obtain really good/expensive cards by buying them outright?

Sorry for being off-topic since my curiosity right now is just for the actual cards.
NotSorry
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States6722 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-02 18:39:34
March 02 2013 18:35 GMT
#6515
On March 03 2013 02:28 Judicator wrote:
If nobody is doing the coverage, nobody is doing the coverage.

Kind of odd considering casting opens are at the heart of SCGs business model to get people onto their site.


Looks like it's just technical issues resulting in a delay, scgopen will be casted.






Yes, you can still get really good cards through booster packs if you are into the whole RNG thing, personally I would never buy a booster outside of a draft, as your odds just aren't very good to break even, let alone a profit with the current sets.





Side note: MONO-BLACK WOLF RUN!
We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men. - Orwell
DCLXVI
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States729 Posts
March 02 2013 18:58 GMT
#6516
On March 03 2013 03:35 NotSorry wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 02:28 Judicator wrote:
If nobody is doing the coverage, nobody is doing the coverage.

Kind of odd considering casting opens are at the heart of SCGs business model to get people onto their site.

Looks like it's just technical issues resulting in a delay, scgopen will be casted.

Yes, you can still get really good cards through booster packs if you are into the whole RNG thing, personally I would never buy a booster outside of a draft, as your odds just aren't very good to break even, let alone a profit with the current sets.

Side note: MONO-BLACK WOLF RUN!

I take it wizards didn't feel like casting the GP? I didn't see the videos up on twitch.

Is twoo really playing that mono black wolf run? I thought for sure he would play the assemble deck.

-Falldown
A great way to get new cards (from the recent set) is to attend a draft at a store and when it is over see if anyone is willing to give you some of the cards they drafted. A few people only care about the expensive cards they have and are happy to give you the rest. While cracking booster packs is fun, it is a bit too expensive for many people. Still, you could open that 20-50$ card....


and you might want to calm down a little jinglehell, nobody is always right and you most certainly are not right now.
I can already see the ending
Louuster
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada2869 Posts
March 02 2013 18:58 GMT
#6517
You can discuss the MTG card game here no prob
Kim Taek Yong fighting~
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
March 02 2013 19:15 GMT
#6518
This thread is about MtG in general, everything is discussed here. The original poster was just an elitist who believed in the superiority of MtGO and the power of virtual cards as opposed to cardboard cards.

(not really)
Get it by your hands...
MaestroSC
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2073 Posts
March 02 2013 20:35 GMT
#6519
Thought I would give an update to a deck i posted a while back.

its a cheap deck focused on detaining and enchanting. White and Blue, am seeing a bit of minor success with it and have changed some things.


Looking for outside input and suggestions on my fun cheap deck that I have been playing with. Am not interested in any cards that wont allow me to play standard.

Basically my current deck is a blue white control/enchantment deck. I havent lost with it yet, despite not having some cards I want to eventually put in it.

I have enough control to basically control the board most of the game at least so far. And with enchantments, a 2-2 turns into a 18-18 pretty fast thanks to the way Ethereal armor works.

Basically its just super fast pressure, while i enchant my creatures up, and keep any of their big stuff off the board, or i Bait it and kill it with Downsize. While Stealer of Secrets lets me get a lot of fast extra cards for the most part.

+ Show Spoiler +
4 Ethereal armor
4 Pacifism
4 Divine Favor
4 Gift of Orzhova
4 Stealer of Secrets
4 downsize
4 Inaction Injunction
4 New Prahv Guildmage
4 Azorius Charm
4 Judge's Familiar


was my deck then. New deck =

4 Downsize
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Hands of Binding
2 inaction injunction
3 hussar Patrol
4 Invisible stalker
12 Island
3 judges familiar
4 New Prahv Guildmage
2 Pacifism
12 Plains
4 Spectral Flight
4 Stealer of Secrets


hands of binding - This especially is my newest addition and has done nothing but win me matches and make people rage every game

Invisible stalker - these are just lolworthy in this deck. I throw 2-3 Hands of binding on this thing... and it will simultaneously lock down their entire board by itself

judges familiar -some people have told me to drop this card, but in honesty this thing has won me 5+ games by itself. Got one of these off the start, had 3 enchantments on it by turn 5, was hitting for 8/8 by then, and had them on a 1 turn timer. Seems like a 1 cost flyer is kinda hard to beat for most people at least IMO so far.

New Prahv Guildmage (have really grown to love the utility of this card. Another detain, and can give flying, if i decide to throw a cipher, or enchants on a nonflying or something that would normally be blocked.)

Pacifism wish i had 4 of these tbh, because ATM i am generally able to lock down the first 4-5 creatures of most decks, unless they save for counters-spells

Spectral Flight - This card is just so strong for a 2 cost. As well as being an enchantment that helps me etheral armor. I have literally won by turn 4 with nothin but a Judges Familiar with 3 of these, and an ethereal armor stacked on it, and a pacifism on the other side. My 1/1 was a 11/11 and just annihilating health. (yes i know throwing a flying enchant on a flyer is kinda silly... but I just saw an opening for quick damage)

I am really happy with it. Just a cheap fun deck.

I joined MTGO, with the expectatioin of buying a top level deck and doing it that way, but I am actually having quite a bit of fun building cheap decks, and seeing how they fare.

Also am now thinkin about trying a build around the "exalted" effect, as I have seem some decks with it do some pretty wicked stuff.


DCLXVI
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States729 Posts
March 02 2013 21:53 GMT
#6520
-maestro
I am not sure i like the downsize/hussar patrol too much. I would rather play stuff like doomed traveler, arrest, more inaction injunction, even sensory deprivation.
I can already see the ending
Prev 1 324 325 326 327 328 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
TaKeTV 51
RotterdaM0
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 313
ProTech145
UpATreeSC 68
TKL 52
Codebar 30
Rex 22
BRAT_OK 6
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 1365
Shuttle 1192
EffOrt 567
BeSt 434
ggaemo 348
Mini 326
Stork 282
firebathero 200
Light 182
Rush 124
[ Show more ]
Dewaltoss 103
Barracks 93
910 67
Sea.KH 62
Zeus 58
Killer 54
sorry 53
Shine 44
Mong 44
Shinee 44
Hyun 43
soO 25
ToSsGirL 25
Aegong 21
Bale 20
Sexy 16
Trap 11
Sacsri 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
yabsab 9
zelot 7
Dota 2
qojqva4311
Dendi2061
BananaSlamJamma410
LuMiX0
Counter-Strike
Fnx 701
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes592
Other Games
singsing2073
Liquid`RaSZi1839
hiko1237
B2W.Neo1021
Liquid`VortiX229
Sick185
ArmadaUGS155
Trikslyr43
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream546
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 12
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile127
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2274
• Nemesis2263
• TFBlade861
Other Games
• WagamamaTV242
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 56m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 56m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 7h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 18h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.