• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:27
CEST 16:27
KST 23:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon104
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6287 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 325

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 323 324 325 326 327 665 Next
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
March 02 2013 05:35 GMT
#6481
On March 02 2013 13:36 semantics wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2013 13:29 MaestroSC wrote:
this game makes me want to cry occasionally..

am running 26 mana... get mana blocked after 2... after mulling to 4 to get 2 lands in my hand... get mana blocked til turn 7 wtf

seriously only running 2 color mana, 13 of each. didnt draw a single land til turn 7... sometimes you just are supposed to lose

Curse of the shuffle at least in MTGO you can blame the MTGO shuffler for hating you XD. That or you can just play decks that only need 3 lands to cast 99% of the deck.


I blame the guy who cut the cards usually.

Same problem at tonight's draft. Except not with lands. I was worried at first, couldn't even quite cut to 40, ran 43 Orzhov with 16 basics, one gate, and one keyrune.

Then, proceed to never get any extort triggers ever. I literally did more "you lose I gain" combining Zarichi Tiger with Vizkopa Guildmage than I did off of extort. 6 triggers in 43 cards, so not a ton, but you'd think I'd see one or two.

Then, the one game I get Deathpack Angel, it was a foregone conclusion anyways, so swinging him with both actives off the guildmage was just overkill.

Literally, the entire deck was "get one or two extorts down, then play cheap spells until they're dead". And the cards would have been great. Death's Approach, Shielded Passage, Beckon Apparition, Treasury Thrull chumpers, Executioners Swings...

Was kinda weird. I did have a game where I got all my creatures that didn't have extort, and played all aggro upside a mana flooded Gruul deck though. 1-2 on matches. Meh.
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-02 06:29:31
March 02 2013 06:29 GMT
#6482
I played a mess for my latest gatecrash draft, i drafted 5 colors evasion and skyblinders staff took like 7 gates and actually used crackling perimeter. I did alright it quarter finals, lost to really aggressive decks too busy being cute with pseudo unblockable and too many gates for mana fixing to get off the ground as fast.

But playing 5 colors taking 2 mad cap skills, 5 spire chasers, 2 forced adaptation, 2 metro sprites, 2 baluster spies, 2 assault griffins, 2 millennial gargs, 1 prisim, 1 verdant haven, 2 shadowslices, 2 spyblinders staff pretty derpy deck.
BlueBird.
Profile Joined August 2008
United States3890 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-02 06:42:45
March 02 2013 06:42 GMT
#6483
I can't imagine myself doing anything other than taking a straight forward deck, with an aggressive curve in this draft format, no matter what colors I'm in .
Currently Playing: Android Netrunner, Gwent, Gloomhaven, Board Games
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
March 02 2013 06:48 GMT
#6484
On March 02 2013 15:42 BlueBird. wrote:
I can't imagine myself doing anything other than taking a straight forward deck, with an aggressive curve in this draft format, no matter what colors I'm in .
Always time for fun when FNM is swiss. Finding the derpy decks is always fun, like the wall deck for RTR got semi finals off a good doorkeeper hyper mill deck. I drafted and won a M13 draft using a door to nothingness deck,(although it was more of a Xathrid Gorgon deck with ramp and every good card i could get that was only 1 color cost)
MidnightGladius
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
China1214 Posts
March 02 2013 06:56 GMT
#6485
My friend and I split in the finals of my first GTC draft today - I ended up with a nutty Simic deck (2 Cloudfin Raptors, 3 Shamblesharks, 3 Frilled Oculus, 2 Disciple of the Old Ways) splashing Clan Defiance, and the games I won felt really non-interactive. My friend's Orzhov deck was much slower, but from what I saw, his opponents were never really in the game after he stabilized behind Dutiful Thrulls and Smite. How has the format been for you guys? I'm sure I won't be drafting GTC nearly as often as I did RTR
Trust in Bayes.
MaestroSC
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2073 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-02 07:32:18
March 02 2013 07:30 GMT
#6486
Lol just lost in a draft tourney on MTGO, got 2nd, found out why the guy won... he got Obzedat, on his first pick... lucky SOB Ghost Council, said he got it on the board almost every match, mulling to 4 twice didnt help me either tho =/. some times u just cant get the cards

got an Aurelia, the Warleader from one of the packs i won =)
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
March 02 2013 07:41 GMT
#6487
On March 02 2013 14:35 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2013 13:36 semantics wrote:
On March 02 2013 13:29 MaestroSC wrote:
this game makes me want to cry occasionally..

am running 26 mana... get mana blocked after 2... after mulling to 4 to get 2 lands in my hand... get mana blocked til turn 7 wtf

seriously only running 2 color mana, 13 of each. didnt draw a single land til turn 7... sometimes you just are supposed to lose

Curse of the shuffle at least in MTGO you can blame the MTGO shuffler for hating you XD. That or you can just play decks that only need 3 lands to cast 99% of the deck.


I blame the guy who cut the cards usually.

Same problem at tonight's draft. Except not with lands. I was worried at first, couldn't even quite cut to 40, ran 43 Orzhov with 16 basics, one gate, and one keyrune.

Then, proceed to never get any extort triggers ever. I literally did more "you lose I gain" combining Zarichi Tiger with Vizkopa Guildmage than I did off of extort. 6 triggers in 43 cards, so not a ton, but you'd think I'd see one or two.

Then, the one game I get Deathpack Angel, it was a foregone conclusion anyways, so swinging him with both actives off the guildmage was just overkill.

Literally, the entire deck was "get one or two extorts down, then play cheap spells until they're dead". And the cards would have been great. Death's Approach, Shielded Passage, Beckon Apparition, Treasury Thrull chumpers, Executioners Swings...

Was kinda weird. I did have a game where I got all my creatures that didn't have extort, and played all aggro upside a mana flooded Gruul deck though. 1-2 on matches. Meh.

17 lands in 43 cards isn't exactly the greatest of ratios, especially in orzhov. And things like shielded passage certainly can be cut before you play 43 cards.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
whatwhatanut
Profile Joined December 2010
United States195 Posts
March 02 2013 08:21 GMT
#6488
On March 02 2013 16:30 MaestroSC wrote:
Lol just lost in a draft tourney on MTGO, got 2nd, found out why the guy won... he got Obzedat, on his first pick... lucky SOB Ghost Council, said he got it on the board almost every match, mulling to 4 twice didnt help me either tho =/. some times u just cant get the cards

got an Aurelia, the Warleader from one of the packs i won =)


why would you ever open packs on mtgo. That is not how you go infinite.
MaestroSC
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2073 Posts
March 02 2013 08:38 GMT
#6489
On March 02 2013 17:21 whatwhatanut wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2013 16:30 MaestroSC wrote:
Lol just lost in a draft tourney on MTGO, got 2nd, found out why the guy won... he got Obzedat, on his first pick... lucky SOB Ghost Council, said he got it on the board almost every match, mulling to 4 twice didnt help me either tho =/. some times u just cant get the cards

got an Aurelia, the Warleader from one of the packs i won =)


why would you ever open packs on mtgo. That is not how you go infinite.


cause im addicted to gambling? idk. whatever i win I open lol. I buy entry as i go and use winnings for trading/selling/gambling lol. Ive gotten 2 Aurelia, the War Leader, 1 Aurelia's Fury foil, and some other misc cards that have done pretty good for me ? idk lol
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
March 02 2013 08:46 GMT
#6490
On March 02 2013 17:38 MaestroSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2013 17:21 whatwhatanut wrote:
On March 02 2013 16:30 MaestroSC wrote:
Lol just lost in a draft tourney on MTGO, got 2nd, found out why the guy won... he got Obzedat, on his first pick... lucky SOB Ghost Council, said he got it on the board almost every match, mulling to 4 twice didnt help me either tho =/. some times u just cant get the cards

got an Aurelia, the Warleader from one of the packs i won =)


why would you ever open packs on mtgo. That is not how you go infinite.


cause im addicted to gambling? idk. whatever i win I open lol. I buy entry as i go and use winnings for trading/selling/gambling lol. Ive gotten 2 Aurelia, the War Leader, 1 Aurelia's Fury foil, and some other misc cards that have done pretty good for me ? idk lol


You could just draft with the packs and potentially win more, and also keep what you open.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
n0ise
Profile Joined April 2010
3452 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-02 09:06:17
March 02 2013 09:02 GMT
#6491
On March 02 2013 14:35 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2013 13:36 semantics wrote:
On March 02 2013 13:29 MaestroSC wrote:
this game makes me want to cry occasionally..

am running 26 mana... get mana blocked after 2... after mulling to 4 to get 2 lands in my hand... get mana blocked til turn 7 wtf

seriously only running 2 color mana, 13 of each. didnt draw a single land til turn 7... sometimes you just are supposed to lose

Curse of the shuffle at least in MTGO you can blame the MTGO shuffler for hating you XD. That or you can just play decks that only need 3 lands to cast 99% of the deck.


I blame the guy who cut the cards usually.

Same problem at tonight's draft. Except not with lands. I was worried at first, couldn't even quite cut to 40, ran 43 Orzhov with 16 basics, one gate, and one keyrune.

Then, proceed to never get any extort triggers ever. I literally did more "you lose I gain" combining Zarichi Tiger with Vizkopa Guildmage than I did off of extort. 6 triggers in 43 cards, so not a ton, but you'd think I'd see one or two.

Then, the one game I get Deathpack Angel, it was a foregone conclusion anyways, so swinging him with both actives off the guildmage was just overkill.

Literally, the entire deck was "get one or two extorts down, then play cheap spells until they're dead". And the cards would have been great. Death's Approach, Shielded Passage, Beckon Apparition, Treasury Thrull chumpers, Executioners Swings...

Was kinda weird. I did have a game where I got all my creatures that didn't have extort, and played all aggro upside a mana flooded Gruul deck though. 1-2 on matches. Meh.


Every card past 40 that you play is essentially lowering the average 'power'/'consistency' of your deck; you should always (99,99% of the time) be able to cut the weakest cards to end up with a 40.

On March 02 2013 17:38 MaestroSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2013 17:21 whatwhatanut wrote:
On March 02 2013 16:30 MaestroSC wrote:
Lol just lost in a draft tourney on MTGO, got 2nd, found out why the guy won... he got Obzedat, on his first pick... lucky SOB Ghost Council, said he got it on the board almost every match, mulling to 4 twice didnt help me either tho =/. some times u just cant get the cards

got an Aurelia, the Warleader from one of the packs i won =)


why would you ever open packs on mtgo. That is not how you go infinite.


cause im addicted to gambling? idk. whatever i win I open lol. I buy entry as i go and use winnings for trading/selling/gambling lol. Ive gotten 2 Aurelia, the War Leader, 1 Aurelia's Fury foil, and some other misc cards that have done pretty good for me ? idk lol


It's pretty much always (slightly) -EV to open packs, both online and irl But obviously if you enjoy doing it and love the thrull (...) of it, there's not that much harm in it
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
March 02 2013 10:17 GMT
#6492
On March 02 2013 18:02 n0ise wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2013 14:35 JingleHell wrote:
On March 02 2013 13:36 semantics wrote:
On March 02 2013 13:29 MaestroSC wrote:
this game makes me want to cry occasionally..

am running 26 mana... get mana blocked after 2... after mulling to 4 to get 2 lands in my hand... get mana blocked til turn 7 wtf

seriously only running 2 color mana, 13 of each. didnt draw a single land til turn 7... sometimes you just are supposed to lose

Curse of the shuffle at least in MTGO you can blame the MTGO shuffler for hating you XD. That or you can just play decks that only need 3 lands to cast 99% of the deck.


I blame the guy who cut the cards usually.

Same problem at tonight's draft. Except not with lands. I was worried at first, couldn't even quite cut to 40, ran 43 Orzhov with 16 basics, one gate, and one keyrune.

Then, proceed to never get any extort triggers ever. I literally did more "you lose I gain" combining Zarichi Tiger with Vizkopa Guildmage than I did off of extort. 6 triggers in 43 cards, so not a ton, but you'd think I'd see one or two.

Then, the one game I get Deathpack Angel, it was a foregone conclusion anyways, so swinging him with both actives off the guildmage was just overkill.

Literally, the entire deck was "get one or two extorts down, then play cheap spells until they're dead". And the cards would have been great. Death's Approach, Shielded Passage, Beckon Apparition, Treasury Thrull chumpers, Executioners Swings...

Was kinda weird. I did have a game where I got all my creatures that didn't have extort, and played all aggro upside a mana flooded Gruul deck though. 1-2 on matches. Meh.


Every card past 40 that you play is essentially lowering the average 'power'/'consistency' of your deck; you should always (99,99% of the time) be able to cut the weakest cards to end up with a 40.

Show nested quote +
On March 02 2013 17:38 MaestroSC wrote:
On March 02 2013 17:21 whatwhatanut wrote:
On March 02 2013 16:30 MaestroSC wrote:
Lol just lost in a draft tourney on MTGO, got 2nd, found out why the guy won... he got Obzedat, on his first pick... lucky SOB Ghost Council, said he got it on the board almost every match, mulling to 4 twice didnt help me either tho =/. some times u just cant get the cards

got an Aurelia, the Warleader from one of the packs i won =)


why would you ever open packs on mtgo. That is not how you go infinite.


cause im addicted to gambling? idk. whatever i win I open lol. I buy entry as i go and use winnings for trading/selling/gambling lol. Ive gotten 2 Aurelia, the War Leader, 1 Aurelia's Fury foil, and some other misc cards that have done pretty good for me ? idk lol


It's pretty much always (slightly) -EV to open packs, both online and irl But obviously if you enjoy doing it and love the thrull (...) of it, there's not that much harm in it


I can agree with this 40 card increasing averages and consistency. But I have kind of a superstition when it comes to this. I have noticed I tend to win more game when I have 41 cards in my deck even if the 1 card is questionable. I will play 41 cards even if it means running an extra land than necessary because of that. I also have the same thing with constructed where I was running 61 cards in certain decks because I couldnt find the right cut at the time. (Esper contol in Innistradt was 1 and Bant Pod in Scars block was another).
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Audemed
Profile Joined November 2010
United States893 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-02 10:30:12
March 02 2013 10:27 GMT
#6493
So, playing the last game of my last match in FNM tonight. It was a decently even match, he was playing dark naya midrange vs my boros midrange. I had a champ of the parish down from a previous turn, and I play a nearheath pilgrim, place the counter, then ash zealot, and attack. Sure, I'm supposed to change the counter "immediately", but hey, this is FNM, I was going to do it before I declared what I was swinging with and for how much, normally perfectly fine. Dude says "HAHA, didn't put the counter on champion!". Really. Really?

2 turns later, he draws before he untaps his loxodon smiter. Oh yeah, you can't untap that. Next turn, doesn't untap 2 lands and his resto angel before draw. Can't untap those either. 4 more turns I called him out on that shit. Bitch. He ended up winning with his fucking topdeck mizzium against my thalia + angelic overseer, the ONE spell he could have possibly used to kill the overseer the turn before lethal, and he toptecks his single of it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, BOROS CHARM WAS MY NEXT FUCKING DRAW.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -George Orwell
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
March 02 2013 10:31 GMT
#6494
On March 02 2013 19:27 Audemed wrote:
So, playing the last game of my last match in FNM tonight. It was a decently even match, he was playing dark naya midrange vs my boros midrange. I had a champ of the parish down from a previous turn, and I play a nearheath pilgrim, place the counter, then ash zealot, and attack. Sure, I'm supposed to change the counter "immediately", but hey, this is FNM, I was going to do it before I declared what I was swinging with and for how much, normally perfectly fine. Dude says "HAHA, didn't put the counter on champion!". Really. Really?

2 turns later, he draws before he untaps his loxodon smiter. Oh yeah, you can't untap that. Next turn, doesn't untap 2 lands and his resto angel before draw. Can't untap those either. 4 more turns I called him out on that shit. Bitch. He ended up winning with his fucking topdeck mizzium against my thalia + angelic overseer, the ONE spell he could have possibly used to kill the overseer the turn before lethal, and he toptecks his single of it.


If people are going to call you out, play the game back. I remember I was playing a kid at a TCGplayer tourny when Zendikar was still legal and I was playing Big Red. He was playing some weird Esper brew and I had lethal on board if I activated my Kuldotha Phoenix metalcraft and played it. I pull the card off the top of the deck and immediately move it to the playmat face down and ask if I can still activate, he says no you drew already. Proceed to top deck an Inferno Titan and he proceeds to scoop to it. One of the most satisfying wins I have ever had.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
n0ise
Profile Joined April 2010
3452 Posts
March 02 2013 13:06 GMT
#6495
On March 02 2013 19:17 Shotcoder wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2013 18:02 n0ise wrote:
On March 02 2013 14:35 JingleHell wrote:
On March 02 2013 13:36 semantics wrote:
On March 02 2013 13:29 MaestroSC wrote:
this game makes me want to cry occasionally..

am running 26 mana... get mana blocked after 2... after mulling to 4 to get 2 lands in my hand... get mana blocked til turn 7 wtf

seriously only running 2 color mana, 13 of each. didnt draw a single land til turn 7... sometimes you just are supposed to lose

Curse of the shuffle at least in MTGO you can blame the MTGO shuffler for hating you XD. That or you can just play decks that only need 3 lands to cast 99% of the deck.


I blame the guy who cut the cards usually.

Same problem at tonight's draft. Except not with lands. I was worried at first, couldn't even quite cut to 40, ran 43 Orzhov with 16 basics, one gate, and one keyrune.

Then, proceed to never get any extort triggers ever. I literally did more "you lose I gain" combining Zarichi Tiger with Vizkopa Guildmage than I did off of extort. 6 triggers in 43 cards, so not a ton, but you'd think I'd see one or two.

Then, the one game I get Deathpack Angel, it was a foregone conclusion anyways, so swinging him with both actives off the guildmage was just overkill.

Literally, the entire deck was "get one or two extorts down, then play cheap spells until they're dead". And the cards would have been great. Death's Approach, Shielded Passage, Beckon Apparition, Treasury Thrull chumpers, Executioners Swings...

Was kinda weird. I did have a game where I got all my creatures that didn't have extort, and played all aggro upside a mana flooded Gruul deck though. 1-2 on matches. Meh.


Every card past 40 that you play is essentially lowering the average 'power'/'consistency' of your deck; you should always (99,99% of the time) be able to cut the weakest cards to end up with a 40.

On March 02 2013 17:38 MaestroSC wrote:
On March 02 2013 17:21 whatwhatanut wrote:
On March 02 2013 16:30 MaestroSC wrote:
Lol just lost in a draft tourney on MTGO, got 2nd, found out why the guy won... he got Obzedat, on his first pick... lucky SOB Ghost Council, said he got it on the board almost every match, mulling to 4 twice didnt help me either tho =/. some times u just cant get the cards

got an Aurelia, the Warleader from one of the packs i won =)


why would you ever open packs on mtgo. That is not how you go infinite.


cause im addicted to gambling? idk. whatever i win I open lol. I buy entry as i go and use winnings for trading/selling/gambling lol. Ive gotten 2 Aurelia, the War Leader, 1 Aurelia's Fury foil, and some other misc cards that have done pretty good for me ? idk lol


It's pretty much always (slightly) -EV to open packs, both online and irl But obviously if you enjoy doing it and love the thrull (...) of it, there's not that much harm in it


I can agree with this 40 card increasing averages and consistency. But I have kind of a superstition when it comes to this. I have noticed I tend to win more game when I have 41 cards in my deck even if the 1 card is questionable. I will play 41 cards even if it means running an extra land than necessary because of that. I also have the same thing with constructed where I was running 61 cards in certain decks because I couldnt find the right cut at the time. (Esper contol in Innistradt was 1 and Bant Pod in Scars block was another).


Yeah definitely, I'm not one to judge on superstitions :D

As for the cutting, I guess a way of putting is that when you go above the minimum, you're basically cutting a small portion of the rest of the cards in the original deck (for example, in a 60 card deck, instead of playing 4 copies of a card, by going to 61, you end up with "3.935" copies of that card).

On March 02 2013 19:27 Audemed wrote:
So, playing the last game of my last match in FNM tonight. It was a decently even match, he was playing dark naya midrange vs my boros midrange. I had a champ of the parish down from a previous turn, and I play a nearheath pilgrim, place the counter, then ash zealot, and attack. Sure, I'm supposed to change the counter "immediately", but hey, this is FNM, I was going to do it before I declared what I was swinging with and for how much, normally perfectly fine. Dude says "HAHA, didn't put the counter on champion!". Really. Really?

2 turns later, he draws before he untaps his loxodon smiter. Oh yeah, you can't untap that. Next turn, doesn't untap 2 lands and his resto angel before draw. Can't untap those either. 4 more turns I called him out on that shit. Bitch. He ended up winning with his fucking topdeck mizzium against my thalia + angelic overseer, the ONE spell he could have possibly used to kill the overseer the turn before lethal, and he toptecks his single of it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, BOROS CHARM WAS MY NEXT FUCKING DRAW.


Yeah, it's generally a shame that this happens at FNMs... for these types of situations, if you want to hurry, just announce the triggers verbally, then proceed to change the counters/dice while he has "priority", or is writing the life changes etc. I think the more correct you try to play, the better you will feel about the game overall ^^ But I agree, situations degenerating like this at a FNM is never cool
MoonBear
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Straight outta Johto18973 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-02 13:28:41
March 02 2013 13:27 GMT
#6496
On March 02 2013 22:06 n0ise wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2013 19:27 Audemed wrote:
So, playing the last game of my last match in FNM tonight. It was a decently even match, he was playing dark naya midrange vs my boros midrange. I had a champ of the parish down from a previous turn, and I play a nearheath pilgrim, place the counter, then ash zealot, and attack. Sure, I'm supposed to change the counter "immediately", but hey, this is FNM, I was going to do it before I declared what I was swinging with and for how much, normally perfectly fine. Dude says "HAHA, didn't put the counter on champion!". Really. Really?

2 turns later, he draws before he untaps his loxodon smiter. Oh yeah, you can't untap that. Next turn, doesn't untap 2 lands and his resto angel before draw. Can't untap those either. 4 more turns I called him out on that shit. Bitch. He ended up winning with his fucking topdeck mizzium against my thalia + angelic overseer, the ONE spell he could have possibly used to kill the overseer the turn before lethal, and he toptecks his single of it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, BOROS CHARM WAS MY NEXT FUCKING DRAW.


Yeah, it's generally a shame that this happens at FNMs... for these types of situations, if you want to hurry, just announce the triggers verbally, then proceed to change the counters/dice while he has "priority", or is writing the life changes etc. I think the more correct you try to play, the better you will feel about the game overall ^^ But I agree, situations degenerating like this at a FNM is never cool

FNM is not Competitive REL. It's supposed to be a fun environment not some kind of environment where you're supposed to nit pick over every little detail and fight over semantics.

Afaik, under the most recent change to the rules regarding missed triggers, at Regular REL (aka FNM) you are not required to remind your opponent of any missed triggers. If the controller of the missed trigger notices it within a reasonable time frame (aka a turn or something) and it's not too disruptive, you can rewind back to that state and play from there (if it was like, just 5 seconds ago you missed it) or just resolve the trigger now (missed it last turn sort of thing). If your opponent has any disagreements about reasonable time frame or disruptiveness, call a judge for an interpretation.

It's the controller of the trigger who has the responsibility to remember and make sure they happen. If someone else forgets, you're not obliged to remind them if you don't want to.
ModeratorA dream. Do you have one that has cursed you like that? Or maybe... a wish?
n0ise
Profile Joined April 2010
3452 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-02 13:37:27
March 02 2013 13:37 GMT
#6497
On March 02 2013 22:27 MoonBear wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2013 22:06 n0ise wrote:
On March 02 2013 19:27 Audemed wrote:
So, playing the last game of my last match in FNM tonight. It was a decently even match, he was playing dark naya midrange vs my boros midrange. I had a champ of the parish down from a previous turn, and I play a nearheath pilgrim, place the counter, then ash zealot, and attack. Sure, I'm supposed to change the counter "immediately", but hey, this is FNM, I was going to do it before I declared what I was swinging with and for how much, normally perfectly fine. Dude says "HAHA, didn't put the counter on champion!". Really. Really?

2 turns later, he draws before he untaps his loxodon smiter. Oh yeah, you can't untap that. Next turn, doesn't untap 2 lands and his resto angel before draw. Can't untap those either. 4 more turns I called him out on that shit. Bitch. He ended up winning with his fucking topdeck mizzium against my thalia + angelic overseer, the ONE spell he could have possibly used to kill the overseer the turn before lethal, and he toptecks his single of it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, BOROS CHARM WAS MY NEXT FUCKING DRAW.


Yeah, it's generally a shame that this happens at FNMs... for these types of situations, if you want to hurry, just announce the triggers verbally, then proceed to change the counters/dice while he has "priority", or is writing the life changes etc. I think the more correct you try to play, the better you will feel about the game overall ^^ But I agree, situations degenerating like this at a FNM is never cool

FNM is not Competitive REL. It's supposed to be a fun environment not some kind of environment where you're supposed to nit pick over every little detail and fight over semantics.

Afaik, under the most recent change to the rules regarding missed triggers, at Regular REL (aka FNM) you are not required to remind your opponent of any missed triggers. If the controller of the missed trigger notices it within a reasonable time frame (aka a turn or something) and it's not too disruptive, you can rewind back to that state and play from there (if it was like, just 5 seconds ago you missed it) or just resolve the trigger now (missed it last turn sort of thing). If your opponent has any disagreements about reasonable time frame or disruptiveness, call a judge for an interpretation.

It's the controller of the trigger who has the responsibility to remember and make sure they happen. If someone else forgets, you're not obliged to remind them if you don't want to.


Yep, I wholeheartedly agree. But what are you, well, "quoting" me on?

I think, bottom line, his opponent was clearly a complete douchebag, but it's still you're own responsibility to announce your triggers and make sure the shortcuts get across smoothly (ie, play a human, tap your pen or a finger on the champion, or say 'counter' or 'trigger') etc.
MoonBear
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Straight outta Johto18973 Posts
March 02 2013 13:44 GMT
#6498
Was just a follow up to what you wrote haha
ModeratorA dream. Do you have one that has cursed you like that? Or maybe... a wish?
Meatloaf
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Spain664 Posts
March 02 2013 14:12 GMT
#6499
if someone wants a way to build some decks and play outright OCTGN is IMO the best app to play any kind of card game online , but sometimes it lacks players/games.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
March 02 2013 15:39 GMT
#6500
On March 02 2013 16:41 spinesheath wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2013 14:35 JingleHell wrote:
On March 02 2013 13:36 semantics wrote:
On March 02 2013 13:29 MaestroSC wrote:
this game makes me want to cry occasionally..

am running 26 mana... get mana blocked after 2... after mulling to 4 to get 2 lands in my hand... get mana blocked til turn 7 wtf

seriously only running 2 color mana, 13 of each. didnt draw a single land til turn 7... sometimes you just are supposed to lose

Curse of the shuffle at least in MTGO you can blame the MTGO shuffler for hating you XD. That or you can just play decks that only need 3 lands to cast 99% of the deck.


I blame the guy who cut the cards usually.

Same problem at tonight's draft. Except not with lands. I was worried at first, couldn't even quite cut to 40, ran 43 Orzhov with 16 basics, one gate, and one keyrune.

Then, proceed to never get any extort triggers ever. I literally did more "you lose I gain" combining Zarichi Tiger with Vizkopa Guildmage than I did off of extort. 6 triggers in 43 cards, so not a ton, but you'd think I'd see one or two.

Then, the one game I get Deathpack Angel, it was a foregone conclusion anyways, so swinging him with both actives off the guildmage was just overkill.

Literally, the entire deck was "get one or two extorts down, then play cheap spells until they're dead". And the cards would have been great. Death's Approach, Shielded Passage, Beckon Apparition, Treasury Thrull chumpers, Executioners Swings...

Was kinda weird. I did have a game where I got all my creatures that didn't have extort, and played all aggro upside a mana flooded Gruul deck though. 1-2 on matches. Meh.

17 lands in 43 cards isn't exactly the greatest of ratios, especially in orzhov. And things like shielded passage certainly can be cut before you play 43 cards.


I think you managed to not read a few important parts of what you responded to. I never got mana screwed. I got extort screwed. I tended to end up with 7 lands and no way to extort my one and two mana spells. I was surprised the lands worked out, but they were never my problem.

Oh, and actually, mathematically speaking, it's a slightly better ratio than running 24 lands in a 60 card deck.
Prev 1 323 324 325 326 327 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 977
WardiTV756
OGKoka 251
Rex136
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 251
ProTech140
Rex 136
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2801
Shuttle 1661
EffOrt 828
BeSt 643
Light 394
Mini 369
firebathero 358
ZerO 282
Stork 279
ggaemo 274
[ Show more ]
Rush 177
Barracks 119
Shine 81
Zeus 80
Killer 60
Yoon 42
sorry 41
Hyun 37
Mong 33
Shinee 30
Aegong 27
Sexy 27
ToSsGirL 26
soO 21
Terrorterran 21
Bale 19
HiyA 17
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
yabsab 11
Sacsri 11
zelot 8
Noble 6
Dota 2
qojqva3524
Dendi2051
BananaSlamJamma317
LuMiX1
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes525
Other Games
singsing2247
hiko1010
B2W.Neo832
Lowko362
Pyrionflax226
Sick202
Liquid`VortiX186
Liquid`RaSZi140
ArmadaUGS102
Mew2King38
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream525
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 6
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH297
• mYiSmile110
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• FirePhoenix0
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2084
• Nemesis1877
• TFBlade585
Other Games
• WagamamaTV265
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
1h 34m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19h 34m
Afreeca Starleague
19h 34m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 9h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 20h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.