• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:04
CEST 10:04
KST 17:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9287 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 251

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 249 250 251 252 253 665 Next
DCLXVI
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States729 Posts
December 10 2012 02:06 GMT
#5001
I opened the SCG legacy stream for a minute and saw the most painful punt. Player A was at 6 life with jace, elspeth, jitte and a few creatures facing a U/R delver deck with just snapcaster on the field and one card in hand. After thinking for a minute (last game, in extra turns), Player A bounces snapcaster with jace, then equips and jumps one of his creatures to attack for lethal. Player B plays bolt, snap, bolt and wins..

Don't worry Risen, at least your mistakes were not on camera before thousands of people.
I can already see the ending
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
December 10 2012 02:13 GMT
#5002
On December 10 2012 11:06 DCLXVI wrote:
I opened the SCG legacy stream for a minute and saw the most painful punt. Player A was at 6 life with jace, elspeth, jitte and a few creatures facing a U/R delver deck with just snapcaster on the field and one card in hand. After thinking for a minute (last game, in extra turns), Player A bounces snapcaster with jace, then equips and jumps one of his creatures to attack for lethal. Player B plays bolt, snap, bolt and wins..

Don't worry Risen, at least your mistakes were not on camera before thousands of people.


It's ok Risen, I tripled blocked a 3/1 first striker with 3 total toughness. Sadly my opponent didn't assign combat damage like I thought he would.
Get it by your hands...
TheChronicler
Profile Joined October 2012
Macedonia260 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-10 04:28:52
December 10 2012 04:27 GMT
#5003
You have a point DCLXVI >.<

And that's a bummer Judi :/

Edit: God damn mafia smurfs!!! This is Risen T_T
Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!
Wegandi
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2455 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-10 06:09:24
December 10 2012 06:05 GMT
#5004
This can't be worse than my punt in last weeks FNM. Chalk it up for not being familiar with Jarad Golgari Lich Lord.

I was at 2 life with a commanding board state, and instead of playing Thragtusk to put me back up to 7 I play Rhox Faithmender (greedy) not realizing that my opponent had a Gravecrawler in the 'yard, and Lich Lord being a Zombie. So he taps floats 2 mana, sacs lands gets back Lich Lord, casts him, then casts gravecrawler and flings him at me for lethal. :/ (I also made a horrible play mistake the turn before that cost me 12 life).

Ugh, so frustrating to make dumb dumb mistakes that I shouldn't ever make. That was a win and in for top 8...ended up going 2-2-1 when I should have been 3-1-1.
Thank you bureaucrats for all your hard work, your commitment to public service and public good is essential to the lives of so many. Also, for Pete's sake can we please get some gun control already, no need for hand guns and assault rifles for the public
AirbladeOrange
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2574 Posts
December 10 2012 06:59 GMT
#5005
How hard would it be to pick up magic now if I haven't really played since 2001?

I always found MTG to be interesting but it lost its appeal when to be competitive everyone pretty much had to have a deck list that you didn't come up with yourself and cost you over $100.
NeonFlare
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Finland1307 Posts
December 10 2012 07:05 GMT
#5006
^Not too hard, they have clarified a lot of stuff, though damage no longer uses stack and such.

If you don't want to play competitive constructed (well you could try with some cheap meta deck that aims to snipe a lot of more popular decks, but I don't know if that's even possible right now), go for drafts or sealed. While they have some extra luck factor in opening something amazing compared to others (especially in sealed) you can usually increase your chances a lot in draft just by picking smartly and all that signaling stuff.

Not sure about your local scene, but there's pretty decent bunch of all skill levels online for casual play too, you could always try pauper and other formats too.
LuckoftheIrish
Profile Joined November 2011
United States4791 Posts
December 10 2012 07:19 GMT
#5007
I miss Phyrexian Processor and Ursa's Screw.
On Twitter @GosuGamers_LotI | Grubby has a huge head!
rd
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2586 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-10 07:34:45
December 10 2012 07:30 GMT
#5008
On December 10 2012 15:59 AirbladeOrange wrote:
How hard would it be to pick up magic now if I haven't really played since 2001?

I always found MTG to be interesting but it lost its appeal when to be competitive everyone pretty much had to have a deck list that you didn't come up with yourself and cost you over $100.


Investing $100 to be competitive -- even in FNM, is pretty unavoidable. Sometimes a set can hand you an extremely competitive deck list for <$100 (RIP bw tokens), but it's not often, and your options are fairly limited in this regard. You don't NEED a $100 deck to win -- you can still take games off the best decks, but they'll usually always be more consistent and win more games in the long run.

It doesn't mean you won't ever win, you'll just win 10-15% less often (made up statistic for general idea). You will still see success replacing expensive cards with similar role-serving cards that aren't $20, (like angel of jub: $2-3 instead of sublime angel: $15-20).

It's pretty hard to avoid pre-made lists too, as they generally encompass the viable themes in standard. A lot of them are specific and tailored to preference though. There are TONS of variations of any given deck, and they each have their own pros and cons, but they always follow a certain theme and set of key cards. If you understand the fundamentals of how a deck curves and what each cards purpose is, you can take any idea and make your own personal decklist out of it. Just playtest thoroughly before you commit to buying it. ;p
iGrok
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5142 Posts
December 10 2012 08:28 GMT
#5009
Was looking through some friends boxes the other day. Found 16 Ulvenwald Bears.

There is nothing more fun than winning with a deck of the following:

16 Forest
4 Island
16 Ulvenwald Bear
4 Druid's Familiar
4 Cobbled Wings
4 Divination
4 Farseek
4 Elvish Visionary
4 Triumph of the Hordes

Its surprisingly better than it should be - and no one complains about the obvious illegality because losing to flying trample infect bears is hilarious. And when I lose, I don't mind at all, again because the flying trample infect bears are hilarious!
MOTM | Stim.tv | TL Mafia | Fantasy Fighting! | SNSD
NeonFlare
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Finland1307 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-10 08:51:43
December 10 2012 08:48 GMT
#5010
Bears always remind me of this ancient monstrosity.


Edit:Why did I dig it up, I feel my IQ dropping everytime.
iGrok
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5142 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-10 08:56:19
December 10 2012 08:55 GMT
#5011
Well originally the idea was to find 4 of each grizzly bear reprint and make a deck of those, but I found 16 ulvenwalds and decided that was good enough!

The next one I'm going to do is a Lions, Tigers, and Bears - Oh My! deck.
MOTM | Stim.tv | TL Mafia | Fantasy Fighting! | SNSD
fifasnipe2224
Profile Joined January 2011
United States243 Posts
December 10 2012 19:11 GMT
#5012
How would you build a Jund deck for a 2 Headed Giant match with ONLY M13 and RtR cards and NO mythic rares? 60 card deck with a 15 card sideboard.
.:RoS:.
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
December 10 2012 19:42 GMT
#5013
On December 11 2012 04:11 fifasnipe2224 wrote:
How would you build a Jund deck for a 2 Headed Giant match with ONLY M13 and RtR cards and NO mythic rares? 60 card deck with a 15 card sideboard.


Probably no point in playing red, or traditional Jund in general if you can't play any planeswalkers or good top end besides Thragtusk. You should probably build it straight G/B zombie-ish style with Dryad Militant/Rakdos Cackler/Deathrite Shaman as your 1-drops, Knight of Infamy, Lotleth Troll, Rancor, etc. Maybe splash red for Searing Spear and Crimson Muckwader? It won't be optimal, but you're definitely better off taking the aggressive route.

If you need to be the control deck because it's 2hg, I guess you can just run 12 spot removal spells, Arbor Elves, Farseeks, Thragtusks, and Thundermaw Hellkites. Lotleth Troll and Deathrite Shaman fine here also. What else...Deadbridge Goliath? lol.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
SigmaoctanusIV
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States3313 Posts
December 11 2012 12:18 GMT
#5014
Anyone going to Starcity Games in LA this weekend? if you are we should totally meet up While there, I am going to be there Saturday for the Standard Tournament.
I am Godzilla You are Japan
Kinie
Profile Joined December 2011
United States3106 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-16 03:06:20
December 16 2012 03:05 GMT
#5015
So, I've been brewing some more Legacy decks, and I think I've stumbled across something good this time. It's not an uncommon idea, and has certainly seen some fringe play before, but in my playtesting it seems to be good vs. the fair decks (even having a 50-50 pre-board matchup vs. the new BUG lists) and can resist/deal with the combo/unfair ones. Please tell me what you guys think:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/junkblade-2/

Also, the reason for the miser's fast land over the third Savannah is mostly for cost concerns; most of the cost of the deck is in the manabase, and I've only been burned by the land in very specific circumstances (mainly needing a land to hardcast a Batterskull to possibly stabilize the board).
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
December 16 2012 07:02 GMT
#5016
The matchup against combo has been fine for you? I can see that it's too greedy to play Thalia and Wastelands but it's really just Teeg out of the sideboard against Storm and Belcher?
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Kinie
Profile Joined December 2011
United States3106 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-16 09:50:54
December 16 2012 08:27 GMT
#5017
On December 16 2012 16:02 slyboogie wrote:
The matchup against combo has been fine for you? I can see that it's too greedy to play Thalia and Wastelands but it's really just Teeg out of the sideboard against Storm and Belcher?


Well, I guess by combo, I mean Reanimator and the Sneak & Show decks. I think I can fit Thalia into the sideboard (probably go -1 Angel, -1 Smiter for 2 Thalia) but I haven't actually tested vs. Storm and Belcher. I did try Wastelands maindeck but this deck is color hungry and needs as many colored sources as it can get. I've had playtesting games where Wasteland won me it, and I've had games where drawing a Wasteland has cost me the game. I would suspect that the deck has a poor Storm and Belcher matchup, but if I do make room for the Thalia's I think my sideboard is decent enough vs. Storm that I can probably manage.

Probably the craziest thing I'm thinking of doing actually is cutting Liliana entirely and going to a second Elspeth and 2 Thoughtsieze. Every game that I draw an Elspeth and get her to land, I feel like I just hard-cast Emrakul. Plus, nothing freaks opponents out more than a flying Batterskull.

Edit: yeah, definitely need Thalia in the sideboard for vs. Storm and Belcher. List has been updated, the changes are -1 Angel of Despair, -1 Loxodon Smiter, +2 Thalia.
bobbob
Profile Joined December 2009
United States368 Posts
December 17 2012 11:19 GMT
#5018
What is the (now single) Smiter in there for? Board in vs decks playing Liliana?

I don't think you want to cut Liliana entirely, you might consider playing a mix of Thoughtsieze and Inquisition, though.

You could consider playing some o-rings out of the board instead of Pulse if S+T becomes a worse matchup.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
December 18 2012 03:05 GMT
#5019
Just wanted to drop in to say congrats to Jack Fogle for winning the SCG Legacy Open and the Draft Open this past weekend. He's a regular in my local scene. Nice dude and always carrying around a bottle of Climax water.
Get it by your hands...
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
December 18 2012 03:29 GMT
#5020
On December 16 2012 17:27 Kinie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 16 2012 16:02 slyboogie wrote:
The matchup against combo has been fine for you? I can see that it's too greedy to play Thalia and Wastelands but it's really just Teeg out of the sideboard against Storm and Belcher?


Well, I guess by combo, I mean Reanimator and the Sneak & Show decks. I think I can fit Thalia into the sideboard (probably go -1 Angel, -1 Smiter for 2 Thalia) but I haven't actually tested vs. Storm and Belcher. I did try Wastelands maindeck but this deck is color hungry and needs as many colored sources as it can get. I've had playtesting games where Wasteland won me it, and I've had games where drawing a Wasteland has cost me the game. I would suspect that the deck has a poor Storm and Belcher matchup, but if I do make room for the Thalia's I think my sideboard is decent enough vs. Storm that I can probably manage.

Probably the craziest thing I'm thinking of doing actually is cutting Liliana entirely and going to a second Elspeth and 2 Thoughtsieze. Every game that I draw an Elspeth and get her to land, I feel like I just hard-cast Emrakul. Plus, nothing freaks opponents out more than a flying Batterskull.

Edit: yeah, definitely need Thalia in the sideboard for vs. Storm and Belcher. List has been updated, the changes are -1 Angel of Despair, -1 Loxodon Smiter, +2 Thalia.


Also, not sure if you need Top and Sylvan Library. You're doing a lot with your mana to begin with and Top isn't going to be anything special in Junk colors. Library is redundant with Dark Confidant, though there's a synergy there. I dunno, I like Goyf over Top and maybe a miser Vindicate. Dunno, I never play Legacy without Blue.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Prev 1 249 250 251 252 253 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 57m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 1304
BeSt 308
Soulkey 222
Soma 205
sorry 134
Mind 70
Bale 25
soO 23
Larva 16
ajuk12(nOOB) 15
[ Show more ]
ZergMaN 14
ZerO 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm189
League of Legends
JimRising 588
Counter-Strike
edward429
Other Games
summit1g9331
Coldzera 687
WinterStarcraft667
C9.Mang0251
Sick208
ZerO(Twitch)1
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick713
BasetradeTV232
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2215
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
1h 57m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
3h 57m
AI Arena Tournament
8h 57m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
10h 57m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 1h
Patches Events
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.