• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:12
CEST 03:12
KST 10:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8598 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 115

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 113 114 115 116 117 665 Next
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-29 00:07:57
December 29 2011 00:05 GMT
#2281
Well, in Modern, you'll probably be running some kind of Mystical Teachings package to be competitive. The mana base is strong in Modern, so Esper is okay, that is, you can play black in your UW. You'll have access to some powerful counters in the form of Spell Snare, Cryptic Command and Remand.

Just keep in mind that there's no Force of Will, no Brainstorm and no Swords to Plowshares; so you'll be going at this with Path to Exile and other less perfect cards (maybe Smother? Dunno, don't play that much Modern.) If you can lock down the opponent, I suppose you try to resolve something like Sphinx of Jwar or Teferi? Maybe Teachings up a Spell Burst and hold the game down.

Also, Snapcaster Mage. Naturally.

EDIT: And Clique, can't forget Vendillion Clique.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
December 29 2011 01:27 GMT
#2282
Oh I didn't realize he was looking at modern. I actually run a control heavy version of UW in modern that wrecks a lot of combo decks but has a horrible match-up against things like Jund.

4 Mana leak
4 Cryptic command
4 Spell snare
4 Path to exile
2 Gideon Jura
2 Wrath of god
2 Engineered explosives
3 Vendillion clique
4 Snapcaster Mage
3 Into the roil
3 Elspeth the knight-errant

I've also looked at adding sun Titan with little jace and maybe a couple images over the into the roils

Lands are significantly easier
4 sea chrome coast
4 hallowed fountain
4 mystic gates
2 islands
2 plains
2 celestial colonnade
2 scalding tarn
2 tectonic edge or ghost quarter depending on your preference
1 academy ruins for explosives lock down
1 marsh flats
1 watery grave to hit 3 on explosives (can also be steam vents or breeding pool)
1 tolaria west to fetch explosives or colonnade, whichever helps your board position more

As a sideboard I run
3 meddling mages
3 aven mindcensors
3 kitchen finks
1 wrath of god
2 spell pierce
3 divine offering

It definitely needs more testing for the numbers and such but this is where I've started
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
CruelZeratul
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany4588 Posts
December 29 2011 01:43 GMT
#2283
What about Rune Snag instead of Mana Leak?
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
December 29 2011 01:54 GMT
#2284
On December 29 2011 10:43 CruelZeratul wrote:
What about Rune Snag instead of Mana Leak?


Rune snag is probably better than mana leak but this is what I had on hand. I actually had remand in place of mana leak but it was horrible.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-29 02:09:29
December 29 2011 02:06 GMT
#2285
On December 29 2011 08:54 Shotcoder wrote:
Mana leak, dissipate, white sun, Gideon, day of judgment, elspeth, jace, oblivion ring, timely reinforcements, elesh norn, sun Titan, phantasmal images, frost titan.

I'm not a huge fan of the deck right now so I'll let sly and judicator flesh out the list and give you numbers. In all reality I think it's dependent on wha version you want to run too. Because karn, venser, and tumble magnet are also options.


He's talking about Modern. Any control lists will have to be Teachings which means 4 colors in Modern. You can't just run 2 colors and comfortably match up well against the field.

In either case, I don't have that much experience in Modern. The brief time I tested it was literally land destruction with Bloodbraid Elf cascading into Molten Rain/Stone Rain, I was about to test a RUG version of that and decided I probably will never bother assembling the base cards needed to play in Modern, so I stopped.
Get it by your hands...
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
December 29 2011 02:23 GMT
#2286
On December 29 2011 11:06 Judicator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 29 2011 08:54 Shotcoder wrote:
Mana leak, dissipate, white sun, Gideon, day of judgment, elspeth, jace, oblivion ring, timely reinforcements, elesh norn, sun Titan, phantasmal images, frost titan.

I'm not a huge fan of the deck right now so I'll let sly and judicator flesh out the list and give you numbers. In all reality I think it's dependent on wha version you want to run too. Because karn, venser, and tumble magnet are also options.


He's talking about Modern. Any control lists will have to be Teachings which means 4 colors in Modern. You can't just run 2 colors and comfortably match up well against the field.

In either case, I don't have that much experience in Modern. The brief time I tested it was literally land destruction with Bloodbraid Elf cascading into Molten Rain/Stone Rain, I was about to test a RUG version of that and decided I probably will never bother assembling the base cards needed to play in Modern, so I stopped.


I agree teachings and gifts decks are the supreme in control right now but the mana base is significantly more expensive

Also I love your idea for land destruction. Boom bust jund might be a fun little land destruction build.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
dignity
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada908 Posts
December 29 2011 08:42 GMT
#2287
On December 29 2011 11:06 Judicator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 29 2011 08:54 Shotcoder wrote:
Mana leak, dissipate, white sun, Gideon, day of judgment, elspeth, jace, oblivion ring, timely reinforcements, elesh norn, sun Titan, phantasmal images, frost titan.

I'm not a huge fan of the deck right now so I'll let sly and judicator flesh out the list and give you numbers. In all reality I think it's dependent on wha version you want to run too. Because karn, venser, and tumble magnet are also options.


He's talking about Modern. Any control lists will have to be Teachings which means 4 colors in Modern. You can't just run 2 colors and comfortably match up well against the field.

In either case, I don't have that much experience in Modern. The brief time I tested it was literally land destruction with Bloodbraid Elf cascading into Molten Rain/Stone Rain, I was about to test a RUG version of that and decided I probably will never bother assembling the base cards needed to play in Modern, so I stopped.


Can you give me your list for that deck? Sounds exactly like something I would play and I need a deck since my friends keep pestering me to play modern.
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-29 11:51:04
December 29 2011 11:45 GMT
#2288
Straight UW is fine in Modern. Maybe not as good in theory as Esper Teachings, but it's significantly easier to play and build. Nothing wrong with having easier decisions, plus being able to cast Kitchen Finks and Cryptic Command reliably is really nice.

Or alternatively instead of casting Cryptic reliably you could play UW Gifts Tron. Dunno how good it is against Zoo tho so maybe not the best choice.
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
December 29 2011 18:07 GMT
#2289
Why give up Consume the Meek or Doomblade or Smother? Or even Deathmark? Also, Inquisition and Thoughtseize! Just play Esper, it doesn't make your decision tree that much harder. Tron is also interesting, though, I haven't played it.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-30 03:44:10
December 30 2011 02:15 GMT
#2290
On December 30 2011 03:07 slyboogie wrote:
Why give up Consume the Meek or Doomblade or Smother? Or even Deathmark? Also, Inquisition and Thoughtseize! Just play Esper, it doesn't make your decision tree that much harder. Tron is also interesting, though, I haven't played it.


not really giving up just depends on which rout you want to go. Strict UW leans more toward a proactive approach while Esper is a more reactive approach. At least that's how I see it.

Edit: also Standard Esper decks running Pristine Talisman now is quite funny.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
December 30 2011 15:00 GMT
#2291
I don't really mind giving up removal spells, I would miss Esper Charm and flashback Teachings though =[
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
bumatlarge
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States4567 Posts
December 30 2011 15:06 GMT
#2292
You can't target your own Garruk with mortapod. What is this shit wizards. I want to start tricking out DT wolves with mortarpods on turn 5!

Honestly though, you can't deal damage to your own planeswalkers with spells or abilities, and I'm not quite sure of the reasons for it.
Together but separate, like oatmeal
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
December 30 2011 18:41 GMT
#2293
On December 31 2011 00:00 MCMcEmcee wrote:
I don't really mind giving up removal spells, I would miss Esper Charm and flashback Teachings though =[


Esper! Esper! Esper! Esper! /chant
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-30 18:44:41
December 30 2011 18:43 GMT
#2294
On December 31 2011 03:41 slyboogie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 31 2011 00:00 MCMcEmcee wrote:
I don't really mind giving up removal spells, I would miss Esper Charm and flashback Teachings though =[


Esper! Esper! Esper! Esper! /chant


It's okay, Sun Titan for Jace is enough of a draw engine /StandardTech

Also with the banning of Punishing Fire and Wild Nacatl you can play Azure Mage! It trades with like every aggro creature!
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
Risen
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States7927 Posts
December 30 2011 19:09 GMT
#2295
On December 31 2011 00:06 bumatlarge wrote:
You can't target your own Garruk with mortapod. What is this shit wizards. I want to start tricking out DT wolves with mortarpods on turn 5!

Honestly though, you can't deal damage to your own planeswalkers with spells or abilities, and I'm not quite sure of the reasons for it.


Wait, what? This is true? I've been redirecting damage from myself to planeswalker like normal in these situations ((largely 1 damage to myself onto koth from an arc trail with my red deck))
Pufftrees Everyday>its like a rifter that just used X-Factor/Liquid'Nony: I hope no one lip read XD/Holyflare>it's like policy lynching but better/Resident Los Angeles bachelor
bumatlarge
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States4567 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-30 19:36:07
December 30 2011 19:29 GMT
#2296
On December 31 2011 04:09 Risen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 31 2011 00:06 bumatlarge wrote:
You can't target your own Garruk with mortapod. What is this shit wizards. I want to start tricking out DT wolves with mortarpods on turn 5!

Honestly though, you can't deal damage to your own planeswalkers with spells or abilities, and I'm not quite sure of the reasons for it.


Wait, what? This is true? I've been redirecting damage from myself to planeswalker like normal in these situations ((largely 1 damage to myself onto koth from an arc trail with my red deck))


It's illegal. Have you tried doing it on MTGO? Doesn't work and just does damage to yourself. I found an MTG article explaining it, but not the reasons why.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Article.aspx?x=magic/planeswalkers/week4

DEALING DAMAGE TO PLANESWALKERS

If a source you control would deal noncombat damage to an opponent, you may have that source deal that damage to a planeswalker that opponent controls instead. This is a redirection effect: you choose whether to redirect the damage as the redirection effect is applied, and it's subject to the normal rules for ordering replacement effects. The player affected by the damage chooses the order in which to apply such effects, but the controller of the source of the damage chooses whether the damage is redirected. Note that this redirection can't be applied to combat damage.

For example, although you can't target a planeswalker with Shock, you can target your opponent with Shock, and then as Shock resolves, choose to have Shock deal its 2 damage to one of your opponent's planeswalkers. If you do, two loyalty counters are removed from that planeswalker.
You can't choose to split the damage between a player and a planeswalker. In the Shock example above, you couldn't have Shock deal 1 damage to the player and 1 damage to the planeswalker.
If a source you control would deal damage to you, you can't have that source deal that damage to one of your planeswalkers instead.
In a Two-Headed Giant game, damage that would be dealt to a player can't be redirected to a planeswalker his or her teammate controls.


Bullshit I say! I guess the reason is because you aren't allowed to hit the PW, it's just with how the mechanic works, that the redirection with things like arc trail or your own mortarpod to garruk, is something not implemented with planeswalkers. It seems pretty relevant, so I hope wizards notices it.

EDIT: Oh apparently it's to stop you from making planeswalkers a shield to the damage you inflict on yourself through fetchlands and stuff. Seems odd still, that something in my opponents control can hit my PW, but if it's under my control it's off limits. Seems like iffy mechanics, but I can't figure out how to make an exception without sounding overly specific or messing with what they are trying to prevent.
Together but separate, like oatmeal
Risen
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States7927 Posts
December 30 2011 19:51 GMT
#2297
Oh shit. Lol, so bad.
Pufftrees Everyday>its like a rifter that just used X-Factor/Liquid'Nony: I hope no one lip read XD/Holyflare>it's like policy lynching but better/Resident Los Angeles bachelor
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
December 30 2011 20:55 GMT
#2298
well if they allowed you to defer damage you could just defer lethal damage to your PW and essentially get a fog effect.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
bumatlarge
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States4567 Posts
December 31 2011 01:18 GMT
#2299
Well, lethal damage as a result of your own cards. I think things that are very direct (Target player), should be able to be directed at your own planeswalkers. Obviously not damage you couldn't otherwise inflict on your opponent in place of yourself.
Together but separate, like oatmeal
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
January 01 2012 19:09 GMT
#2300
Can I just say, actually playing games that matter with control has an insane learning curve to go with it. The decision making is extremely tough and winning is stupidly tough sometimes. I changed the deck right before I played on Friday and got matched against tempered steel and mono black and just couldn't draw enough threats or answers. I went 2-2 overall beating a home brew UG control and mono red the proceeding to lose the other two.

This is what I ended up running:
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=276858

Tempered Steel drew all 4 inkmoths game 3 and just didn't have enough to answer both the inkmoths and other cards like glint hawk idol.

Nearly the same thing happened vs Mono black with his first inkmoth just taking the game because of no blades or ghost quarters. His hand was piss poor besides the inkmoth and having upwards of 7 outs by turn 7 and hitting zero really pissed me off when he only had 2 land on board, and had time to cast an alchemy and a think twice.

So I switched to

http://www.mtgvault.com/EditDeck.aspx?DeckID=277682&DeckCardID=6422056

Found out you really don't need that many mana leaks and snapcasters and my sideboard plan was pretty poor overall. I would like the second White sun main, not side but don't want to cut a Wurmcoil or Sphinx for it. I'd like to test Azure mage in the side instead of blue sun and batterskull too. Even though batterskull was really clutch in a game vs mono red.

I never felt like the games weren't winnable I just felt like I was too inexperienced with the cards and the decision making of control. Any suggestions guys?
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Prev 1 113 114 115 116 117 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings97
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech81
RuFF_SC2 19
StarCraft: Brood War
Dewaltoss 25
Bale 16
Terrorterran 3
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm202
League of Legends
Doublelift6533
JimRising 700
Counter-Strike
minikerr26
Other Games
summit1g10510
C9.Mang0325
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1155
BasetradeTV186
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream39
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP142
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
8h 48m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
9h 48m
Monday Night Weeklies
14h 48m
Replay Cast
21h 48m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 9h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 22h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.