• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:24
CEST 16:24
KST 23:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8440 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 113

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 111 112 113 114 115 665 Next
bumatlarge
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States4567 Posts
December 20 2011 06:12 GMT
#2241
I think that's why they did it. Cat is such a step above those, so it gives more breathing room for other decks, while still leaving zoo pretty strong.
Together but separate, like oatmeal
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
December 20 2011 21:46 GMT
#2242
On December 20 2011 14:48 slyboogie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2011 14:43 deth2munkies wrote:
Punishing Fire and Wild Nacatl were banned in Modern.

http://wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/174a

Meh, I think Punishing Fire needed the ban and I guess aggressive decks with Wild Nacatl are ubiquitous, so I'm kind of happy that this will give midrange decks and control decks a fighting chance.


That's pretty big news. What'll be the one drop of choice in zoo now? I'm not much of an eternal player. Loam Lion or Kird Ape? That landfall cat from Zendikar? Goblin Guide? Or just Noble Hierarch?


I guess it depends on the deck. Loam Lion, Kird Ape, and Steppe Lynx already saw play in the deck so I think bumping those from 2 to 4 ofs might be the solution. I don't really think guide offers the deck as much as the others.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
December 22 2011 07:29 GMT
#2243
Noble Hierarch into Knight seems good enough
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-23 04:36:04
December 23 2011 04:35 GMT
#2244
So I'm trying to build a fun standard deck that I can use to let my friends learn to play at a decent level, but also let me play some FNM funsies. I ended up getting a full playset of Blade Splicers for $9 (including shipping) off E-bay, so I was thinking about building around them.

I want it to be a splicer deck, and I'm fairly certain I want to include Shape Anew/Blightsteel combo on top of that. What I can't decide is if I want to go Bant (green accelerators get me to my splicers faster, gives me vital splicer AND wing splicer on top of blade, mana leak and card draw from blue, but has bad mana without investment in scarslands that have become massively overpriced), G/W (Accelerators, possible parallel lives/Overrun additions), or U/W (Counters and card draw, wing splicer, and some bounce for tempo).

I was also thinking about making it more Token based overall, with Geist Honored Monk, Intangible Virtue, Midnight Haunting, and Moorland Haunt on top of all the splicers, but that'd have to be U/W or Bant. Champion of the Parish also seems good in either because he triggers off all the splicers, Avacyn's Pilgrim, Geist Honored Monk, and the rest, but I'd probably limit him to G/W because I'd need accelerators to keep dropping humans every turn since they're all 3-5 drops.

I have to admit I have a personal preference towards U/W since I've been running an Esper deck lately, but I wanted to get opinions.

Right now this is just an idea, so I really haven't built a hard and fast decklist yet, anyone have opinions on which direction I should pursue and/or good stuff I might be forgetting?
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
December 23 2011 07:37 GMT
#2245
UW tokens was a good deck early on in this Standard format's life. UW humans and illusions both kinda pushed it to the wayside but it's still a reasonable deck.
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
December 23 2011 09:27 GMT
#2246
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/122311a

PWPs no longer really matter. We get a pseudo worlds back, and the pro players club is returning.

Thank God.
dignity
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada908 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-24 07:27:39
December 24 2011 07:23 GMT
#2247
Well heres an idea that you can do. I made this deck a while ago and took it apart for the most part. If you have elspeths/heros of bladehold you can do a GW gavony token deck. Key cards in the deck include elpeths, shrines, intangible virtue, midnight hauntings, and any creature that has tokens attached to it. I was toying around with putting jade mages for some extra depth and reusability as well, although that didn't seem to work too well.. Sun titans are great in this style of deck, mainly to bring back your blade splicers/shrines/doomed travelers/ anything thats not heros or elspeths. I got utterly rocked when I played against a dedicated permission deck though. Only time I won was when I resolved 2 shrines and intangible virtue.

I threw in a singleton primal hunter just because I had one and It worked great whenever I got it off.
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
December 24 2011 07:58 GMT
#2248
If I'd wanted to build G/W tokens, I'd build G/W tokens. That's already a deck, it won a pro-tour (Hiroshima). I don't have the trading mass nor the money to assemble the planeswalkers necessary for that deck anyway. Decklist will build tomorrow after work, didn't get out till 1:30 and back at 9.
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
December 24 2011 13:14 GMT
#2249
got my playset of Snapcasters, finally i can play real decks

*goes back to playing GW tokens*
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
December 24 2011 13:48 GMT
#2250
GW Tokens is not that good of a deck. It was only good for that meta at PT Hiroshima. 3 matches of testing should show you why.
Get it by your hands...
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
December 24 2011 13:52 GMT
#2251
wasn't even a PT, was a GP

GW fine at FNM here since lots of UW humans and untuned control lists
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
dignity
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada908 Posts
December 24 2011 20:04 GMT
#2252
He said he wanted a deck for FMN funsies. GW tokens seemed to fit that description.
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
December 24 2011 22:37 GMT
#2253
On December 24 2011 22:52 MCMcEmcee wrote:
wasn't even a PT, was a GP

GW fine at FNM here since lots of UW humans and untuned control lists


untuned control lists? How do people not run 3-4 day of judgments or 3 black suns? I mean in the Esper build I'm running I have 3 Days main, a 4th in the side and 1 black sun plus the usual 4 timelys.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
December 25 2011 02:43 GMT
#2254
On December 25 2011 07:37 Shotcoder wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 24 2011 22:52 MCMcEmcee wrote:
wasn't even a PT, was a GP

GW fine at FNM here since lots of UW humans and untuned control lists


untuned control lists? How do people not run 3-4 day of judgments or 3 black suns? I mean in the Esper build I'm running I have 3 Days main, a 4th in the side and 1 black sun plus the usual 4 timelys.


So, that sounds untuned. Basically, you're running half a dozen sweepers because you're afraid of aggro, right? What happens when you run into Blue/Black Control or Solar Flare or Pristine Control? Or even Kessig, though Esper seems to curb stomp Kessig pretty good game one.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-25 14:53:07
December 25 2011 14:45 GMT
#2255
On December 25 2011 11:43 slyboogie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 25 2011 07:37 Shotcoder wrote:
On December 24 2011 22:52 MCMcEmcee wrote:
wasn't even a PT, was a GP

GW fine at FNM here since lots of UW humans and untuned control lists


untuned control lists? How do people not run 3-4 day of judgments or 3 black suns? I mean in the Esper build I'm running I have 3 Days main, a 4th in the side and 1 black sun plus the usual 4 timelys.


So, that sounds untuned. Basically, you're running half a dozen sweepers because you're afraid of aggro, right? What happens when you run into Blue/Black Control or Solar Flare or Pristine Control? Or even Kessig, though Esper seems to curb stomp Kessig pretty good game one.


http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=272687

Well pristine control is just a bad deck. having surgical extractions in the side plus blue sun is also a blow out if the ever tap out. White sun is also a pretty big game as a one of in the main. The one of Elesh Norn and Unburial rights pretty much shuts down anything not primeval titan in Kessig.

The only thing I would possibly change in my list is find room for a sword or batterskull. And Grave Titan might become a Frost titan, which also shuts down Kessig. actually I think the 4th snapcaster might be overkill so he might be the one dropped for the batterskull.

Edit: Running all those board sweepers isn't untuned, it's correct meta-gaming. Considering UW humans, Tempered Steel, GW tokens, UW delver, UR delver, Mono Red, are all creature decks to some degree or another you need at least 3 sweepers main to even survive game one. and the 4th is alway in the side. I added the 5th out of personal preference because it lets you hit a boardsweeper more frequently. And with all the draw and counter magic you should be able to survive to double black.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-25 15:02:30
December 25 2011 14:59 GMT
#2256
The fact that you have a Black Sun's in Esper on top of Days means you have no clue what you are doing. Other signs include considering Grave Titans and Frost Titans (both are just no), Unburial Rites (just no), Batterskull (no). Your deck just looks like a mish-mash of control cards. Double Blue, Black, White along with a triple White and Blue with the mana base in standard? No thanks.

Flare shits on you straight up. You will not beat it with just 2 Surgicals (especially Surgicals). Your match up against Red is also pretty terrible...along with Ilusion variants.

Edit:

And it's not correct metagaming. Anyone who takes a look at your mana base will just shake their head. 2 GQs with that mana distribution and spells?

I also like how you think that running board sweepers means your match up against aggro will be somehow be "good" or even better.
Get it by your hands...
Durp
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada3117 Posts
December 25 2011 16:17 GMT
#2257
On December 24 2011 22:14 MCMcEmcee wrote:
got my playset of Snapcasters, finally i can play real decks

*goes back to playing GW tokens*

Me and two of my close friends have a collective card pool between us. Normally, we try to accumulate cards we need, and maybe buy a box or two a set.

At present, we own 24 Snapcaster Mages.

Though hoarding them was not my idea, I would be shocked if this card drops in value.
SOOOOOooooOOOOooooOOOOoo Many BANELINGS!!
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
December 26 2011 00:49 GMT
#2258
On December 25 2011 23:59 Judicator wrote:
The fact that you have a Black Sun's in Esper on top of Days means you have no clue what you are doing. Other signs include considering Grave Titans and Frost Titans (both are just no), Unburial Rites (just no), Batterskull (no). Your deck just looks like a mish-mash of control cards. Double Blue, Black, White along with a triple White and Blue with the mana base in standard? No thanks.

Flare shits on you straight up. You will not beat it with just 2 Surgicals (especially Surgicals). Your match up against Red is also pretty terrible...along with Ilusion variants.

Edit:

And it's not correct metagaming. Anyone who takes a look at your mana base will just shake their head. 2 GQs with that mana distribution and spells?

I also like how you think that running board sweepers means your match up against aggro will be somehow be "good" or even better.


You sound like a friend of mine who likes to beat down other people's decks with little to no thought about actual match ups and just spews non sense about how bad the match up is against his deck. The fact is this deck is serious 5 to 6 cards different than that of the esper control list that was in the top 8 at Charolette. I could net deck but what benefit would i get from that when I get blown out from decks the people around me play and not the meta game of Charolette? Black sun and grave Titan are easily castable with the mana base and running three colors with the current lands in extremely stable if you know what hands to mulligan. You don't win every game by being better than the opponent, there's a great deal of luck, knowledge of the opponent and deck, and surprise or special tactics. Why do you think decks like four color control and tricks control did s well when they were first unveiled? Because they were great for the meta game and no one knew how to combat the deck. This is o different. Just sit down and test the deck before you bash it. I have yet to take it to fm due to building it this passed week but in cockatrice testing it has been extremely consistent and doesn't get "blown out". Check channel fireball and lsv's videos about it to see how well the deck actually functions. I have only seen the deck lose close games and win close games and that margin comes down to how good the pilot is just like any other control deck.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
December 26 2011 03:32 GMT
#2259
On December 26 2011 01:17 Durp wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 24 2011 22:14 MCMcEmcee wrote:
got my playset of Snapcasters, finally i can play real decks

*goes back to playing GW tokens*

Me and two of my close friends have a collective card pool between us. Normally, we try to accumulate cards we need, and maybe buy a box or two a set.

At present, we own 24 Snapcaster Mages.

Though hoarding them was not my idea, I would be shocked if this card drops in value.


I have a small bet with a friend that Snapcaster will be banned in every format he's currently legal in before he rotates out of Standard. He has yes, I have no. I gave him 2.5 to 1.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
puppykiller
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States3137 Posts
December 26 2011 03:38 GMT
#2260
I love mtg but would I have to pay to use cards online? If a decent deck is costly I dont think I will play till I get a job.
Why would I play sctoo when I can play BW?
Prev 1 111 112 113 114 115 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1466
WardiTV937
OGKoka 239
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 239
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 8077
Bisu 1951
Shuttle 1078
Horang2 703
Larva 498
Stork 421
EffOrt 412
BeSt 400
actioN 271
Mini 244
[ Show more ]
Mind 137
910 96
Zeus 92
Snow 74
Barracks 64
Mong 62
Sea.KH 54
Shinee 51
hero 49
JYJ 41
ToSsGirL 36
Bale 31
sorry 31
Killer 26
Shine 25
Sexy 25
Yoon 20
HiyA 20
Aegong 19
soO 18
zelot 17
scan(afreeca) 14
Free 10
Sacsri 9
Terrorterran 9
Noble 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5636
qojqva2260
Dendi1113
febbydoto25
Counter-Strike
fl0m2592
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko476
Other Games
singsing2905
olofmeister1186
hiko956
B2W.Neo834
Livibee452
TKL 439
XBOCT291
Hui .215
Liquid`VortiX204
XaKoH 191
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 23
• mYiSmile16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 31
• iopq 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3139
• Jankos2304
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
1h 36m
Replay Cast
8h 36m
Afreeca Starleague
19h 36m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
20h 36m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.