• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:56
CEST 10:56
KST 17:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion BW General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9863 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 101

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 99 100 101 102 103 665 Next
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
November 15 2011 20:57 GMT
#2001
On November 16 2011 05:21 Shotcoder wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 05:02 slyboogie wrote:
@Shotcoder I don't know why he's Drownyarding himself at all. So he's playing Tempered Steel, managed to get to the 4 land necessary for Nephalia Drownyard and used it twice at the end of his opponents turn? Was there nothing to counterspell? And casting Think Twice and Forbidden Alchemy isn't putting you "cards behind." It would be "cards ahead."



It's cards behind when you decide after you drop 4 out of 5 win conditions into the graveyard do to Downyard, horrible alchemy keeps and not leaving counter magic open after casting sphinx, that the best way to win here is to mill your opponent. So now you have what 15 cards left in your deck while he has 35-40? and you still have to rebuy 1 alchemy just so you can find the curse so his 1/1 myrs off the shrine don't kill you first.

Sure the deck is insane with turn 2 mana leak, turn 3 dissipate, turn 4 snapcaster into mana leak...etc but when it doesnt have draw like that the deck seems weak and behind in almost every situation. This is why as a Haunted Humans player I see turn one darkslick shores and I am actually excited.


Look, we need to stop using this example. Drownyarding yourself, in some situations, is understandable. Perhaps you don't have enough mana to flashback an alchemy or you had counter magic up and your opponent didn't cast anything. But you shouldn't be doing it very much - I don't know how the player you watched did this to himself before dying to Tempered Steel. I presume he's Drowning himself for an answer or something?

Secondly, this is classic small sample size. You see a guy self mill and hit his win-cons and say "Wow, that's bad." Because it is. It's just terrible. It's like when I used Deranged Assistant and hit Heretic's Punishment. Aww, that sucks. But you don't know the order of your cards. You can't - mill doesn't work like that. If he's digging for his ONE SINGLE answer against a deck that will certainly kill him, then that's what he has to do. You can't look solely at the results, the process was fine - if that situation was as you said.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
November 15 2011 21:18 GMT
#2002
On November 16 2011 05:57 slyboogie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 05:21 Shotcoder wrote:
On November 16 2011 05:02 slyboogie wrote:
@Shotcoder I don't know why he's Drownyarding himself at all. So he's playing Tempered Steel, managed to get to the 4 land necessary for Nephalia Drownyard and used it twice at the end of his opponents turn? Was there nothing to counterspell? And casting Think Twice and Forbidden Alchemy isn't putting you "cards behind." It would be "cards ahead."



It's cards behind when you decide after you drop 4 out of 5 win conditions into the graveyard do to Downyard, horrible alchemy keeps and not leaving counter magic open after casting sphinx, that the best way to win here is to mill your opponent. So now you have what 15 cards left in your deck while he has 35-40? and you still have to rebuy 1 alchemy just so you can find the curse so his 1/1 myrs off the shrine don't kill you first.

Sure the deck is insane with turn 2 mana leak, turn 3 dissipate, turn 4 snapcaster into mana leak...etc but when it doesnt have draw like that the deck seems weak and behind in almost every situation. This is why as a Haunted Humans player I see turn one darkslick shores and I am actually excited.


Look, we need to stop using this example. Drownyarding yourself, in some situations, is understandable. Perhaps you don't have enough mana to flashback an alchemy or you had counter magic up and your opponent didn't cast anything. But you shouldn't be doing it very much - I don't know how the player you watched did this to himself before dying to Tempered Steel. I presume he's Drowning himself for an answer or something?

Secondly, this is classic small sample size. You see a guy self mill and hit his win-cons and say "Wow, that's bad." Because it is. It's just terrible. It's like when I used Deranged Assistant and hit Heretic's Punishment. Aww, that sucks. But you don't know the order of your cards. You can't - mill doesn't work like that. If he's digging for his ONE SINGLE answer against a deck that will certainly kill him, then that's what he has to do. You can't look solely at the results, the process was fine - if that situation was as you said.


Alright lets not use this example. but I still feel the deck is underwhelming and watching LSV run the gauntlet and my personal experiences vs the deck lead me to that conclusion. THis guy misplaying a couple times shouldn't have even been brought up.

I also am looking for a rogue deck to put together, preferably with 2-3 lily's main. What are your opinions on Grixis Vengeance running her?
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
November 15 2011 22:25 GMT
#2003
On November 16 2011 05:02 slyboogie wrote:
@Shotcoder I don't know why he's Drownyarding himself at all. So he's playing Tempered Steel, managed to get to the 4 land necessary for Nephalia Drownyard and used it twice at the end of his opponents turn? Was there nothing to counterspell? And casting Think Twice and Forbidden Alchemy isn't putting you "cards behind." It would be "cards ahead."

Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 00:53 Judicator wrote:
On November 15 2011 13:53 slyboogie wrote:
Wouldn't you rather play the Forbidden Alchemy instead of the Think Twice? Especially with all that blue flashback and a Snapcaster?


Because when you go Forbidden Alchemy end of turn and see this:

Forbidden Alchemy
Victim of the Night
Dead Weight
Strumgeist

You know the deck isn't your average UB deck. Like I wasn't playing Makeshift Mauler or the Moan because I actually had better cards than those. I was cutting from 31 and those 8 cards were easily playable in any other UB deck.


Who cares? One of those cards is clearly the right card in every situation. And you're more likely to see at least one land and one of your 15-23rd cards, through sheer statistics. That's just one situation where all 4 cards were playable. It could have been Island, Silent Departure, Think Twice and Stitcher's Apprentice - you have no way of knowing, it's like new players getting mad that they're getting milled. It's just confirmation bias. I'm quite sure that Forbidden Alchemy is better than Think Twice at least more that half the time.


I would agree with you if...I didn't have the cards that I did, there isn't a need for a second Forbidden in that deck. So I just swapped it out for a Think Twice. The other option you guys didn't consider was the serious threat of me milling myself out which I almost did 3 times that night.

Here's the thing with 2nd Forbidden vs. Think Twice in that situation and why I ran a third Silent over the Moan. Moan I don't need because of Back from the Brink and I didn't care for the 2/2s, any of them. Claustrophobia with Silent on turn 4 means most decks will not interact with me on turns 5 and 6. I know it's two cards, but again, I don't give a shit about literally anything that they can play outside of Heretic's Punishment. My lines of play were much better and smoother in that regards.

The second Forbidden doesn't do anything for me because again, milling a Think Twice is better than milling a Forbidden Alchemy with my deck. Secondly and most importantly, the lines of play from aggressively playing Silent Departure (again I decided to run 3), is better with a Think Twice than a 2nd Alchemy. The Alchemy is good only if I had a few powerful cards that I needed to reach, but my deck was pretty caulk full of them. The only real card that I was missing was a Murder of Crows.
Get it by your hands...
Anktious
Profile Joined September 2010
United States190 Posts
November 15 2011 22:38 GMT
#2004
Hello! New player to the MTG world here. One of my buddies talked me into getting an Event Deck and said that with a little bit of adding and subtracting, my deck could be pretty powerful. So of course I go to the local comic shop and pick up the white event deck. It's full of humans and enchants/artifacts that buff humans.

I wanted to come to my favorite community site (instead of TCG or anything like that) and ask for some advice on what cards I should be looking out for during draft nights and whatnot. Any help would be very much appreciated :D
On January 23 2009 04:38 {88}iNcontroL wrote: I hate it when i sit at my computer and post on this forum when suddenly my dick launches out of my pants and makes me type incorrectly.. starts mashing ont h legnskzsnmklbf oh fuck there we go again.
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
November 15 2011 23:00 GMT
#2005
@Judicator: Sure, I can see the self-mill to death thing. It's happened to me a couple of times, trying to get too much fuel into the yard for Burning Vengeance or digging with Forbidden Alchemy. I can give you that one. I don't feel too strongly about Departure over Moan. Moan is certainly more powerful. But I don't think you're disagreeing about that, you're just taking Departure for its tempo/flashback/utility and I can understand that. But Forbidden Alchemy, especially because you have Back from the Brink and Snapcaster Mage, is still probably the card over Think Twice.

@Anktious: From what I've seen, the humans deck is pretty cool. It's actually pretty good, haha. Maybe cut 1 O-Ring for a Day? Some Heroes of Bladehold and 2 more Mirran Crusaders? That shouldn't be too pricey. And, obviously, if you can cut the Honors of the Pure and Silver Inlaid Dagger for any of the SoM Mythic Swords, then you should be feeling a lot better about the power level. War and Peace is probably the best one for Crusader...mmm...double strike.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
dignity
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada908 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 23:30:00
November 15 2011 23:28 GMT
#2006
On November 16 2011 04:31 Shotcoder wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 04:01 Orpheos wrote:
On November 16 2011 03:53 Shotcoder wrote:
On November 15 2011 19:57 slyboogie wrote:
On November 15 2011 18:23 Shotcoder wrote:
Watching LSV run the Gauntlet with UB control makes me wonder about the deck quite a bit. I knew it was a bit iffy watching it a couple times but this just makes my opinion of it that much worse. It doesn't help every singe time I've seen the deck drownyard they've dumped a win condition in the bin and can't finish because of it.

Also I've seen some questionable pilots, by that I mean casting forbidden alchemy, seeing island, island, Batterskull, negate vs tempered steel and keeping negate.


Depends on the board-state and turn doesn't it? I mean, I'd rather have Batterskull 80% of the time, but depends right? Also, bad pilots don't speak to the deck's strength. And what do you mean about the Drownyard? You saw a U/B Control player milling himself often?



It was a late turn like 10-12 and the tempered steel player(who was my friend) landed a shrine of loyal legions the turn before. I think the pilot was just really bad as he later finished the game by having to cast a black sun for 0 just so he didnt deck himself the following turn. He also was the one who drownyarded himself hitting a sphinx and another batterskull. Yes I understand throwing cards into the graveyard with Alchemy and drownyard to feed the value of Snapcaster but the fact you can dump a threat of drownyard makes me want to run the card a lot less and the deck a lot less.


no the drownyard player is just awful. he shouldnt be just milling himself every fucking turn.
drownyard is mostly just a land in aggro matchups, but in control matchups its quite possibly one of the most powerful cards ever printed. the best thing is you get to side in more lands(something control decks have been wanting to do for a long time) while still siding in the best card ever for the matchup.


he didnt drownyard himself every turn he did it once or twice, but the fact he was also casting forbidden Alchemy put him 22 cards behind the tempered steel player(this isn't even counting think twices) so drownyarding the tempered steel player later in the game turned out to be too slow. This is also another reason I don't play Control, I prefer aggro or tempo decks. Sittign there playing reactive just kills me.

Also can I ask why Ponder isn't seeing play in any control decks right now?


I think the main thing with ponder is that every control deck right now runs snapcasters and flashing back a ponder does nothing since its sorcery speed. It takes away from the draw-go style of decks. That said, if you are not playing snapcasters they are still great. They just don't fit into the current meta.

Theres also forbidden alchemy, which synergizes with snapcasters better, making ponder less preferable. Another thing to note is that current combo decks use the graveyard (ooze decks) and so actually throwing things you see on top of your library is preferable to rearranging them.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 23:30:36
November 15 2011 23:29 GMT
#2007
On November 16 2011 08:00 slyboogie wrote:
@Judicator: Sure, I can see the self-mill to death thing. It's happened to me a couple of times, trying to get too much fuel into the yard for Burning Vengeance or digging with Forbidden Alchemy. I can give you that one. I don't feel too strongly about Departure over Moan. Moan is certainly more powerful. But I don't think you're disagreeing about that, you're just taking Departure for its tempo/flashback/utility and I can understand that. But Forbidden Alchemy, especially because you have Back from the Brink and Snapcaster Mage, is still probably the card over Think Twice.

@Anktious: From what I've seen, the humans deck is pretty cool. It's actually pretty good, haha. Maybe cut 1 O-Ring for a Day? Some Heroes of Bladehold and 2 more Mirran Crusaders? That shouldn't be too pricey. And, obviously, if you can cut the Honors of the Pure and Silver Inlaid Dagger for any of the SoM Mythic Swords, then you should be feeling a lot better about the power level. War and Peace is probably the best one for Crusader...mmm...double strike.


Armored Skaab + Alchemy is enough. I don't need the Second Alchemy in that regards and I actually couldn't play the 2nd Alchemy over the first Skaab either.

Ponder doesn't see play because we don't have a reliable way of shuffling the the deck.
Get it by your hands...
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
November 16 2011 00:13 GMT
#2008
On November 16 2011 07:25 Judicator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 05:02 slyboogie wrote:
@Shotcoder I don't know why he's Drownyarding himself at all. So he's playing Tempered Steel, managed to get to the 4 land necessary for Nephalia Drownyard and used it twice at the end of his opponents turn? Was there nothing to counterspell? And casting Think Twice and Forbidden Alchemy isn't putting you "cards behind." It would be "cards ahead."

On November 16 2011 00:53 Judicator wrote:
On November 15 2011 13:53 slyboogie wrote:
Wouldn't you rather play the Forbidden Alchemy instead of the Think Twice? Especially with all that blue flashback and a Snapcaster?


Because when you go Forbidden Alchemy end of turn and see this:

Forbidden Alchemy
Victim of the Night
Dead Weight
Strumgeist

You know the deck isn't your average UB deck. Like I wasn't playing Makeshift Mauler or the Moan because I actually had better cards than those. I was cutting from 31 and those 8 cards were easily playable in any other UB deck.


Who cares? One of those cards is clearly the right card in every situation. And you're more likely to see at least one land and one of your 15-23rd cards, through sheer statistics. That's just one situation where all 4 cards were playable. It could have been Island, Silent Departure, Think Twice and Stitcher's Apprentice - you have no way of knowing, it's like new players getting mad that they're getting milled. It's just confirmation bias. I'm quite sure that Forbidden Alchemy is better than Think Twice at least more that half the time.


I would agree with you if...I didn't have the cards that I did, there isn't a need for a second Forbidden in that deck. So I just swapped it out for a Think Twice. The other option you guys didn't consider was the serious threat of me milling myself out which I almost did 3 times that night.

Here's the thing with 2nd Forbidden vs. Think Twice in that situation and why I ran a third Silent over the Moan. Moan I don't need because of Back from the Brink and I didn't care for the 2/2s, any of them. Claustrophobia with Silent on turn 4 means most decks will not interact with me on turns 5 and 6. I know it's two cards, but again, I don't give a shit about literally anything that they can play outside of Heretic's Punishment. My lines of play were much better and smoother in that regards.

The second Forbidden doesn't do anything for me because again, milling a Think Twice is better than milling a Forbidden Alchemy with my deck. Secondly and most importantly, the lines of play from aggressively playing Silent Departure (again I decided to run 3), is better with a Think Twice than a 2nd Alchemy. The Alchemy is good only if I had a few powerful cards that I needed to reach, but my deck was pretty caulk full of them. The only real card that I was missing was a Murder of Crows.


The deck as you listed it isn't even that good, it's just an above average U/B deck, and not playing Moan in self-mill just doesn't make sense. It's one of the top uncommons in the set, and easily better than something like Back From the Brink/Think Twice/Snapcaster Mage. But what else is new, this thread makes my brain bleed every time I check it, I was foolish to venture back.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
dignity
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada908 Posts
November 16 2011 01:03 GMT
#2009
As much as we argue with each other in this thread we get things discussed in a somewhat meaningful way even if we all end up hating each other afterwards.
dmasterding
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States205 Posts
November 16 2011 01:14 GMT
#2010
is this thread also for general magic discussion or is it only for MTG:O? just wondering - i'm a big irl player who hasn't really tried online much
No tears now, only dreams.
Skithiryx
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia648 Posts
November 16 2011 01:22 GMT
#2011
On November 16 2011 07:38 Anktious wrote:
Hello! New player to the MTG world here. One of my buddies talked me into getting an Event Deck and said that with a little bit of adding and subtracting, my deck could be pretty powerful. So of course I go to the local comic shop and pick up the white event deck. It's full of humans and enchants/artifacts that buff humans.

I wanted to come to my favorite community site (instead of TCG or anything like that) and ask for some advice on what cards I should be looking out for during draft nights and whatnot. Any help would be very much appreciated :D


Hey, welcome, these may not be the best decklists but will give you an idea, you can go down the GW Humans which is more of an aggro punch you in the face style deck or their is UW humans which a slightly slower more "tempo" style deck

GW - http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=238031

UW - http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=255395

Again these are just shells to build from/on but most lists won't look drastically different.
Orpheos
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1663 Posts
November 16 2011 01:31 GMT
#2012
ponder really is just a horrific card in control. have you actually played it without fetchlands?
dignity
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada908 Posts
November 16 2011 01:40 GMT
#2013
On November 16 2011 10:14 dmasterding wrote:
is this thread also for general magic discussion or is it only for MTG:O? just wondering - i'm a big irl player who hasn't really tried online much


There really is no difference between the two besides the fact that one is online.

And about the ponder thing. I honestly prefer sleight of hand over ponder after playing with both (played sleight of hand because ponder is banned in modern). Ponder is just not as good as preordain in a vacuum.
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
November 16 2011 01:47 GMT
#2014
On November 16 2011 10:31 Orpheos wrote:
ponder really is just a horrific card in control. have you actually played it without fetchlands?


I've only played it in non control decks like bant pod and Crusader/Hero blade, and I liked it a lot. Was running it + think twice instead of Alchemy.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
dignity
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada908 Posts
November 16 2011 07:00 GMT
#2015
Ponder is not a bad card at all. Applying the turbo xerox rule to any deck makes it better.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
November 16 2011 14:46 GMT
#2016
On November 16 2011 09:13 Cel.erity wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 07:25 Judicator wrote:
On November 16 2011 05:02 slyboogie wrote:
@Shotcoder I don't know why he's Drownyarding himself at all. So he's playing Tempered Steel, managed to get to the 4 land necessary for Nephalia Drownyard and used it twice at the end of his opponents turn? Was there nothing to counterspell? And casting Think Twice and Forbidden Alchemy isn't putting you "cards behind." It would be "cards ahead."

On November 16 2011 00:53 Judicator wrote:
On November 15 2011 13:53 slyboogie wrote:
Wouldn't you rather play the Forbidden Alchemy instead of the Think Twice? Especially with all that blue flashback and a Snapcaster?


Because when you go Forbidden Alchemy end of turn and see this:

Forbidden Alchemy
Victim of the Night
Dead Weight
Strumgeist

You know the deck isn't your average UB deck. Like I wasn't playing Makeshift Mauler or the Moan because I actually had better cards than those. I was cutting from 31 and those 8 cards were easily playable in any other UB deck.


Who cares? One of those cards is clearly the right card in every situation. And you're more likely to see at least one land and one of your 15-23rd cards, through sheer statistics. That's just one situation where all 4 cards were playable. It could have been Island, Silent Departure, Think Twice and Stitcher's Apprentice - you have no way of knowing, it's like new players getting mad that they're getting milled. It's just confirmation bias. I'm quite sure that Forbidden Alchemy is better than Think Twice at least more that half the time.


I would agree with you if...I didn't have the cards that I did, there isn't a need for a second Forbidden in that deck. So I just swapped it out for a Think Twice. The other option you guys didn't consider was the serious threat of me milling myself out which I almost did 3 times that night.

Here's the thing with 2nd Forbidden vs. Think Twice in that situation and why I ran a third Silent over the Moan. Moan I don't need because of Back from the Brink and I didn't care for the 2/2s, any of them. Claustrophobia with Silent on turn 4 means most decks will not interact with me on turns 5 and 6. I know it's two cards, but again, I don't give a shit about literally anything that they can play outside of Heretic's Punishment. My lines of play were much better and smoother in that regards.

The second Forbidden doesn't do anything for me because again, milling a Think Twice is better than milling a Forbidden Alchemy with my deck. Secondly and most importantly, the lines of play from aggressively playing Silent Departure (again I decided to run 3), is better with a Think Twice than a 2nd Alchemy. The Alchemy is good only if I had a few powerful cards that I needed to reach, but my deck was pretty caulk full of them. The only real card that I was missing was a Murder of Crows.


The deck as you listed it isn't even that good, it's just an above average U/B deck, and not playing Moan in self-mill just doesn't make sense. It's one of the top uncommons in the set, and easily better than something like Back From the Brink/Think Twice/Snapcaster Mage. But what else is new, this thread makes my brain bleed every time I check it, I was foolish to venture back.


Because most UB mill yourself decks didn't have my deck's card power. 4 2/2 Zombies off of 1 card is powerful, but Back from the Brink copying everything I need it to from my mills is tons better to do with my 6+ mana than flashing back a Moan. I would disagree about Moan > Back from the Brink too, Moan is better in a vacuum, Back is better if your deck supports it. I rather get 3/4 flyers and 5/5 juggernauts than 2/2 Zombies.
Get it by your hands...
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
November 16 2011 20:31 GMT
#2017
On November 16 2011 23:46 Judicator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 09:13 Cel.erity wrote:
On November 16 2011 07:25 Judicator wrote:
On November 16 2011 05:02 slyboogie wrote:
@Shotcoder I don't know why he's Drownyarding himself at all. So he's playing Tempered Steel, managed to get to the 4 land necessary for Nephalia Drownyard and used it twice at the end of his opponents turn? Was there nothing to counterspell? And casting Think Twice and Forbidden Alchemy isn't putting you "cards behind." It would be "cards ahead."

On November 16 2011 00:53 Judicator wrote:
On November 15 2011 13:53 slyboogie wrote:
Wouldn't you rather play the Forbidden Alchemy instead of the Think Twice? Especially with all that blue flashback and a Snapcaster?


Because when you go Forbidden Alchemy end of turn and see this:

Forbidden Alchemy
Victim of the Night
Dead Weight
Strumgeist

You know the deck isn't your average UB deck. Like I wasn't playing Makeshift Mauler or the Moan because I actually had better cards than those. I was cutting from 31 and those 8 cards were easily playable in any other UB deck.


Who cares? One of those cards is clearly the right card in every situation. And you're more likely to see at least one land and one of your 15-23rd cards, through sheer statistics. That's just one situation where all 4 cards were playable. It could have been Island, Silent Departure, Think Twice and Stitcher's Apprentice - you have no way of knowing, it's like new players getting mad that they're getting milled. It's just confirmation bias. I'm quite sure that Forbidden Alchemy is better than Think Twice at least more that half the time.


I would agree with you if...I didn't have the cards that I did, there isn't a need for a second Forbidden in that deck. So I just swapped it out for a Think Twice. The other option you guys didn't consider was the serious threat of me milling myself out which I almost did 3 times that night.

Here's the thing with 2nd Forbidden vs. Think Twice in that situation and why I ran a third Silent over the Moan. Moan I don't need because of Back from the Brink and I didn't care for the 2/2s, any of them. Claustrophobia with Silent on turn 4 means most decks will not interact with me on turns 5 and 6. I know it's two cards, but again, I don't give a shit about literally anything that they can play outside of Heretic's Punishment. My lines of play were much better and smoother in that regards.

The second Forbidden doesn't do anything for me because again, milling a Think Twice is better than milling a Forbidden Alchemy with my deck. Secondly and most importantly, the lines of play from aggressively playing Silent Departure (again I decided to run 3), is better with a Think Twice than a 2nd Alchemy. The Alchemy is good only if I had a few powerful cards that I needed to reach, but my deck was pretty caulk full of them. The only real card that I was missing was a Murder of Crows.


The deck as you listed it isn't even that good, it's just an above average U/B deck, and not playing Moan in self-mill just doesn't make sense. It's one of the top uncommons in the set, and easily better than something like Back From the Brink/Think Twice/Snapcaster Mage. But what else is new, this thread makes my brain bleed every time I check it, I was foolish to venture back.


Because most UB mill yourself decks didn't have my deck's card power. 4 2/2 Zombies off of 1 card is powerful, but Back from the Brink copying everything I need it to from my mills is tons better to do with my 6+ mana than flashing back a Moan. I would disagree about Moan > Back from the Brink too, Moan is better in a vacuum, Back is better if your deck supports it. I rather get 3/4 flyers and 5/5 juggernauts than 2/2 Zombies.



And what happens when you mill your back from the brink?
Orpheos
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1663 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-16 21:14:30
November 16 2011 21:13 GMT
#2018
On November 17 2011 05:31 deth2munkies wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 23:46 Judicator wrote:
On November 16 2011 09:13 Cel.erity wrote:
On November 16 2011 07:25 Judicator wrote:
On November 16 2011 05:02 slyboogie wrote:
@Shotcoder I don't know why he's Drownyarding himself at all. So he's playing Tempered Steel, managed to get to the 4 land necessary for Nephalia Drownyard and used it twice at the end of his opponents turn? Was there nothing to counterspell? And casting Think Twice and Forbidden Alchemy isn't putting you "cards behind." It would be "cards ahead."

On November 16 2011 00:53 Judicator wrote:
On November 15 2011 13:53 slyboogie wrote:
Wouldn't you rather play the Forbidden Alchemy instead of the Think Twice? Especially with all that blue flashback and a Snapcaster?


Because when you go Forbidden Alchemy end of turn and see this:

Forbidden Alchemy
Victim of the Night
Dead Weight
Strumgeist

You know the deck isn't your average UB deck. Like I wasn't playing Makeshift Mauler or the Moan because I actually had better cards than those. I was cutting from 31 and those 8 cards were easily playable in any other UB deck.


Who cares? One of those cards is clearly the right card in every situation. And you're more likely to see at least one land and one of your 15-23rd cards, through sheer statistics. That's just one situation where all 4 cards were playable. It could have been Island, Silent Departure, Think Twice and Stitcher's Apprentice - you have no way of knowing, it's like new players getting mad that they're getting milled. It's just confirmation bias. I'm quite sure that Forbidden Alchemy is better than Think Twice at least more that half the time.


I would agree with you if...I didn't have the cards that I did, there isn't a need for a second Forbidden in that deck. So I just swapped it out for a Think Twice. The other option you guys didn't consider was the serious threat of me milling myself out which I almost did 3 times that night.

Here's the thing with 2nd Forbidden vs. Think Twice in that situation and why I ran a third Silent over the Moan. Moan I don't need because of Back from the Brink and I didn't care for the 2/2s, any of them. Claustrophobia with Silent on turn 4 means most decks will not interact with me on turns 5 and 6. I know it's two cards, but again, I don't give a shit about literally anything that they can play outside of Heretic's Punishment. My lines of play were much better and smoother in that regards.

The second Forbidden doesn't do anything for me because again, milling a Think Twice is better than milling a Forbidden Alchemy with my deck. Secondly and most importantly, the lines of play from aggressively playing Silent Departure (again I decided to run 3), is better with a Think Twice than a 2nd Alchemy. The Alchemy is good only if I had a few powerful cards that I needed to reach, but my deck was pretty caulk full of them. The only real card that I was missing was a Murder of Crows.


The deck as you listed it isn't even that good, it's just an above average U/B deck, and not playing Moan in self-mill just doesn't make sense. It's one of the top uncommons in the set, and easily better than something like Back From the Brink/Think Twice/Snapcaster Mage. But what else is new, this thread makes my brain bleed every time I check it, I was foolish to venture back.


Because most UB mill yourself decks didn't have my deck's card power. 4 2/2 Zombies off of 1 card is powerful, but Back from the Brink copying everything I need it to from my mills is tons better to do with my 6+ mana than flashing back a Moan. I would disagree about Moan > Back from the Brink too, Moan is better in a vacuum, Back is better if your deck supports it. I rather get 3/4 flyers and 5/5 juggernauts than 2/2 Zombies.



And what happens when you mill your back from the brink?


this is a very bad argument unless you plan on completely or getting close to milling your library. otherwise the same thing can be said for "what happens if you dont draw back from the brink?" except if you mill it, you have extra information, knowing you wont draw it and can play accordingly.

on a related note, one of the cards you can make this argument for is lab maniac, because the card itself hinges on the fact that you want to mill yourself completely
Risen
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States7927 Posts
November 16 2011 21:14 GMT
#2019
On November 17 2011 06:13 Orpheos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 17 2011 05:31 deth2munkies wrote:
On November 16 2011 23:46 Judicator wrote:
On November 16 2011 09:13 Cel.erity wrote:
On November 16 2011 07:25 Judicator wrote:
On November 16 2011 05:02 slyboogie wrote:
@Shotcoder I don't know why he's Drownyarding himself at all. So he's playing Tempered Steel, managed to get to the 4 land necessary for Nephalia Drownyard and used it twice at the end of his opponents turn? Was there nothing to counterspell? And casting Think Twice and Forbidden Alchemy isn't putting you "cards behind." It would be "cards ahead."

On November 16 2011 00:53 Judicator wrote:
On November 15 2011 13:53 slyboogie wrote:
Wouldn't you rather play the Forbidden Alchemy instead of the Think Twice? Especially with all that blue flashback and a Snapcaster?


Because when you go Forbidden Alchemy end of turn and see this:

Forbidden Alchemy
Victim of the Night
Dead Weight
Strumgeist

You know the deck isn't your average UB deck. Like I wasn't playing Makeshift Mauler or the Moan because I actually had better cards than those. I was cutting from 31 and those 8 cards were easily playable in any other UB deck.


Who cares? One of those cards is clearly the right card in every situation. And you're more likely to see at least one land and one of your 15-23rd cards, through sheer statistics. That's just one situation where all 4 cards were playable. It could have been Island, Silent Departure, Think Twice and Stitcher's Apprentice - you have no way of knowing, it's like new players getting mad that they're getting milled. It's just confirmation bias. I'm quite sure that Forbidden Alchemy is better than Think Twice at least more that half the time.


I would agree with you if...I didn't have the cards that I did, there isn't a need for a second Forbidden in that deck. So I just swapped it out for a Think Twice. The other option you guys didn't consider was the serious threat of me milling myself out which I almost did 3 times that night.

Here's the thing with 2nd Forbidden vs. Think Twice in that situation and why I ran a third Silent over the Moan. Moan I don't need because of Back from the Brink and I didn't care for the 2/2s, any of them. Claustrophobia with Silent on turn 4 means most decks will not interact with me on turns 5 and 6. I know it's two cards, but again, I don't give a shit about literally anything that they can play outside of Heretic's Punishment. My lines of play were much better and smoother in that regards.

The second Forbidden doesn't do anything for me because again, milling a Think Twice is better than milling a Forbidden Alchemy with my deck. Secondly and most importantly, the lines of play from aggressively playing Silent Departure (again I decided to run 3), is better with a Think Twice than a 2nd Alchemy. The Alchemy is good only if I had a few powerful cards that I needed to reach, but my deck was pretty caulk full of them. The only real card that I was missing was a Murder of Crows.


The deck as you listed it isn't even that good, it's just an above average U/B deck, and not playing Moan in self-mill just doesn't make sense. It's one of the top uncommons in the set, and easily better than something like Back From the Brink/Think Twice/Snapcaster Mage. But what else is new, this thread makes my brain bleed every time I check it, I was foolish to venture back.


Because most UB mill yourself decks didn't have my deck's card power. 4 2/2 Zombies off of 1 card is powerful, but Back from the Brink copying everything I need it to from my mills is tons better to do with my 6+ mana than flashing back a Moan. I would disagree about Moan > Back from the Brink too, Moan is better in a vacuum, Back is better if your deck supports it. I rather get 3/4 flyers and 5/5 juggernauts than 2/2 Zombies.



And what happens when you mill your back from the brink?


this is a very bad argument unless you plan on completely or getting close to milling your library. otherwise the same thing can be said for "what happens if you dont draw back from the brink?" except if you mill it, you have extra information, knowing you wont draw it and can play accordingly.


Well.................................................. one has flashback.
Pufftrees Everyday>its like a rifter that just used X-Factor/Liquid'Nony: I hope no one lip read XD/Holyflare>it's like policy lynching but better/Resident Los Angeles bachelor
Orpheos
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1663 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-16 21:28:33
November 16 2011 21:21 GMT
#2020
On November 17 2011 06:14 Risen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 17 2011 06:13 Orpheos wrote:
On November 17 2011 05:31 deth2munkies wrote:
On November 16 2011 23:46 Judicator wrote:
On November 16 2011 09:13 Cel.erity wrote:
On November 16 2011 07:25 Judicator wrote:
On November 16 2011 05:02 slyboogie wrote:
@Shotcoder I don't know why he's Drownyarding himself at all. So he's playing Tempered Steel, managed to get to the 4 land necessary for Nephalia Drownyard and used it twice at the end of his opponents turn? Was there nothing to counterspell? And casting Think Twice and Forbidden Alchemy isn't putting you "cards behind." It would be "cards ahead."

On November 16 2011 00:53 Judicator wrote:
On November 15 2011 13:53 slyboogie wrote:
Wouldn't you rather play the Forbidden Alchemy instead of the Think Twice? Especially with all that blue flashback and a Snapcaster?


Because when you go Forbidden Alchemy end of turn and see this:

Forbidden Alchemy
Victim of the Night
Dead Weight
Strumgeist

You know the deck isn't your average UB deck. Like I wasn't playing Makeshift Mauler or the Moan because I actually had better cards than those. I was cutting from 31 and those 8 cards were easily playable in any other UB deck.


Who cares? One of those cards is clearly the right card in every situation. And you're more likely to see at least one land and one of your 15-23rd cards, through sheer statistics. That's just one situation where all 4 cards were playable. It could have been Island, Silent Departure, Think Twice and Stitcher's Apprentice - you have no way of knowing, it's like new players getting mad that they're getting milled. It's just confirmation bias. I'm quite sure that Forbidden Alchemy is better than Think Twice at least more that half the time.


I would agree with you if...I didn't have the cards that I did, there isn't a need for a second Forbidden in that deck. So I just swapped it out for a Think Twice. The other option you guys didn't consider was the serious threat of me milling myself out which I almost did 3 times that night.

Here's the thing with 2nd Forbidden vs. Think Twice in that situation and why I ran a third Silent over the Moan. Moan I don't need because of Back from the Brink and I didn't care for the 2/2s, any of them. Claustrophobia with Silent on turn 4 means most decks will not interact with me on turns 5 and 6. I know it's two cards, but again, I don't give a shit about literally anything that they can play outside of Heretic's Punishment. My lines of play were much better and smoother in that regards.

The second Forbidden doesn't do anything for me because again, milling a Think Twice is better than milling a Forbidden Alchemy with my deck. Secondly and most importantly, the lines of play from aggressively playing Silent Departure (again I decided to run 3), is better with a Think Twice than a 2nd Alchemy. The Alchemy is good only if I had a few powerful cards that I needed to reach, but my deck was pretty caulk full of them. The only real card that I was missing was a Murder of Crows.


The deck as you listed it isn't even that good, it's just an above average U/B deck, and not playing Moan in self-mill just doesn't make sense. It's one of the top uncommons in the set, and easily better than something like Back From the Brink/Think Twice/Snapcaster Mage. But what else is new, this thread makes my brain bleed every time I check it, I was foolish to venture back.


Because most UB mill yourself decks didn't have my deck's card power. 4 2/2 Zombies off of 1 card is powerful, but Back from the Brink copying everything I need it to from my mills is tons better to do with my 6+ mana than flashing back a Moan. I would disagree about Moan > Back from the Brink too, Moan is better in a vacuum, Back is better if your deck supports it. I rather get 3/4 flyers and 5/5 juggernauts than 2/2 Zombies.



And what happens when you mill your back from the brink?


this is a very bad argument unless you plan on completely or getting close to milling your library. otherwise the same thing can be said for "what happens if you dont draw back from the brink?" except if you mill it, you have extra information, knowing you wont draw it and can play accordingly.


Well.................................................. one has flashback.


thats a benefit to moan, but "what if you mill brink" is not a hit against brink. what if you dont draw or mill moan?

*also i would like to note that I agree that he should have been running moan, im just pointing out something about the argument.
Prev 1 99 100 101 102 103 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 4m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 141
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 942
Larva 628
ggaemo 617
Mind 575
Stork 319
Leta 177
PianO 138
Killer 43
Hyuk 28
Bale 24
[ Show more ]
ZergMaN 22
yabsab 20
Bisu 10
Dota 2
XcaliburYe149
League of Legends
JimRising 393
Reynor99
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1148
Other Games
summit1g10369
C9.Mang0240
Sick208
Mew2King150
ArmadaUGS61
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick545
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream187
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• LUISG 0
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2342
League of Legends
• Stunt1316
• Jankos1077
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
1h 4m
Online Event
2h 4m
FEL
7h 4m
AI Arena Tournament
8h 4m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
10h 4m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 1h
INu's Battles
1d 3h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
Replay Cast
1d 15h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.