• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:52
CEST 22:52
KST 05:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6994 users

Age of Empires Online - Page 18

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All
rd
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2586 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-11 21:59:35
April 11 2012 21:57 GMT
#341
On April 11 2012 12:34 _PI wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2012 12:20 Tyrant0 wrote:
On April 10 2012 09:32 _PI wrote:
On April 10 2012 08:08 DannyJ wrote:
Pretty sure it was dead on arrival.


The sad thing is that everyone I know who actually liked AOE2 or AOE3 does not want to play AOEO. I definitely have zero interest in it. It was already a pain to level a new accounts home cities in AOE3, but at least you could farm the XP on a new account in like a few hours and have it be usable.

Here, you have to grind a ton to make the account worth anything for PvP. On top of that, its horribly balanced and a royal mess if you actually want to play an RTS even semi-competitively. SC2 has its problems for me, but I honestly enjoy it a whole lot more than AOEO, and the community isn't dead.


What grind? The grind in LoL is much worse if you don't buy XP boosts. Everyone keeps comparing it to AoE2/SC2/RTS when AoEO is gunning for something new. If you don't walk into it expecting AoE2 it can be enjoyable.


If an Age of Empires game can't appeal to Age of Empires fans, then what is it's reason for existing? It isn't going to draw a huge new audience and if it pisses off fans of the previous games then it's awful. Also, some of what I said regarding PvP and such may be out of date because I haven't played in an eternity because it pissed me off so much.

Also, comparing AOE to LoL is like comparing Apples and Oranges. AOE is an RTS at heart, and any attempts to MMOize it have to keep in mind that the fans of the series want an RTS first and an MMO second. LoL has the advantage of not being an RTS, which lets it create whatever rules it wants. In addition, the grinding to level 30 doesn't feel as bad as it does in AOEO because it's versus other people and its more of a social game that you can play with friends.


Comparison to LoL is relevant. They're clearly borrowing ideas from popular games like LoL, WoW, etc. And the grind to level 30 was pretty horrible. Mainly because its probably 10x longer than the grind to 40 in AoEO -- and unlike AoEO, you don't have the potential to roll random teammates who lose you the game and slow down your leveling.

It's really easy to say LoL can do anything it wants because it's a MOBA, but you're speaking from the perspective of now knowing LoL is massively popular after the MASSIVE, more RPG oriented directions it took from DotA. DotA didn't have any reason to have you level-up, spend skill points or buy upgrades for yourself either. I didn't get the chance to play LoL when it first came around. I'm sure DotA/HoN players bitched about having to level up and buy items for your acc to compete. Now LoL blows them both out of the water by appealing to a broader audience. AoEO took the same risk, threw a knife in the dark, and I guess it failed.
UniversalSnip
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
9871 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-12 03:36:09
April 12 2012 03:33 GMT
#342
I really tried to play this. I really did. But I just can't.

I don't mean I don't like the game, I mean I can't get past the fucking firewall that is games for windows live. I've been wrestling with it for a half hour and I cannot make it fucking work, I give up. Uninstalled.
"How fucking dare you defile the sanctity of DotA with your fucking casual plebian terminology? May the curse of Gaben and Volvo be upon you. le filthy casual."
Wetty
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia419 Posts
April 14 2012 02:33 GMT
#343
On April 12 2012 12:33 UniversalSnip wrote:
I really tried to play this. I really did. But I just can't.

I don't mean I don't like the game, I mean I can't get past the fucking firewall that is games for windows live. I've been wrestling with it for a half hour and I cannot make it fucking work, I give up. Uninstalled.


Exactly the same experience. Tried to install it through steam because I assumed it would circumvent the need for windows live. Apparently it just makes it worse, stuck asking for a CD key that I dont have, and the GFWL doesn't have a download link for my game. And it fails to add the game or CD key or anything. Soooo terrible.
yanot
Profile Joined March 2010
France130 Posts
April 14 2012 17:39 GMT
#344
Same here. Can't find a way to get the CD KEY or to bypass the prompt.

I tried every solution. On the official forums lot of people have the same problem.

That's bad because according to most reviews it is a good game and I really want to try it
Ksquared
Profile Joined July 2011
United States1748 Posts
April 14 2012 18:18 GMT
#345
I would love to play but like everybody else this CD key is making it impossible T_T
eSports for life.
yanot
Profile Joined March 2010
France130 Posts
April 16 2012 20:04 GMT
#346
Fyi they just fixed it

sweet
jonydec
Profile Joined April 2012
India2 Posts
April 20 2012 06:17 GMT
#347
--- Nuked ---
nebffa
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Australia776 Posts
April 29 2012 10:52 GMT
#348
I've been playing this a little today and it's pretty fun, now that they fixed the stupid problems with actually logging in. I was like.. should I play some sc2 ladder??? No... too intense, I just want some casual easy stuff to play - so I browsed through my steam library and I saw it and wondered if they'd fixed the problems. They have and it's a simple easy fun game to play if anyone if you are looking for a casual game
DeCiBle
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States102 Posts
May 03 2012 18:20 GMT
#349
Came here looking to start a chat about strategy with other TLers, looks like most people haven't even gotten past the CDkey aspect yet, or gave up way before even playing. Pity.

If anyone's playing this, You can add DeCiBleZerg. I'd really like to discuss openings and strategy.

Rolled Celts because i felt they'd be most-zerg-y, and i'm pretty happy, but i'm curious as to what i can do to just solidify my game. As it stands I'm making constant workers to around 15-20, have 10ish+ in food and the rest in wood. Build rax as I can afford them, houses and tech to tier 2 while making constant spearmen and suiciding them at my enemy to take out workers... worked suprisingly well last night...

once at tier 2 I just keep building up and trying to take the whole map while keeping pressure on my enemy... everything else is up in the air past that. Not sure how deep the strategy goes for this, but that's as far as I've gotten. Hopefully with some other SC2 minds in the mix, we can come up with some scary builds.
"You're a Scottish Noble Ribbon, and I am William fuckn Wallace" - ROOT.CatZ
Kaal
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Djibouti2570 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-03 18:41:07
May 03 2012 18:36 GMT
#350


As it stands I'm making constant workers to around 15-20


You need about 80-120 villagers depending on map size.

The introduction of ranked play is nice, but this game scared off every single AoE player that I know because pre-ranked it was basically pay-to-win. I wouldn't expect too much real competition. Game is fun for shits and giggles, but not for serious strategy.

You should be getting tier 2 as fast as possible while being safe so that you can build more TCs to get a stronger economy, economic advantage in AoE snowballs a lot harder than it does in starcraft because of the lack of micro-dependant units until tier 3. Also, static defense is extremely strong, think BW zerg. Building towers in your villager lines and proper sim city will go a long way.

For villager placement, you should only have enough on food to support your current/immediate future production. Make sure you make good use of the early animals and and berries (animals are better).
DeCiBle
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States102 Posts
May 03 2012 19:13 GMT
#351
really? I hear from the community that static D is garbage. Also, you can't build more TCs until tier 3 i thought...

i know that towers might be marginally strong, but the dps per cost is garbage, especially vs cheap throwaway units...

and yeah, i play it mainly as a low-key alternative to SC2. Not expecting SUUUPER deep strategy, but it would be nice to know i'm not doing anything horribly wrong.

how fast is fast tier 2? like... only cut workers to tier up after 20? or before?
"You're a Scottish Noble Ribbon, and I am William fuckn Wallace" - ROOT.CatZ
Senx
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Sweden5901 Posts
May 03 2012 19:45 GMT
#352
Funny that I cant even login to play a FREE2PLAY game because the game needs a cd key..
"trash micro but win - its marine" MC commentary during HSC 4
Bart331
Profile Joined July 2010
59 Posts
May 05 2012 08:15 GMT
#353
I think strategy wise its best to spam units till 140 pop then rightclick enemy tc
DeCiBle
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States102 Posts
May 05 2012 13:19 GMT
#354
@Bart 331 - ironically some would say the same about SC2... those who played the single player...

because the town center doesn't auto-kill everything in it's sight, and there's no such thing as a FE in this game, and how durable spearmen are early on, and how not-durable workers are, and how cheap spearmen are.... and the fact that they can only make workers as fast as you can.... get where i'm going with this? no? me either... But there's ways to get huge economic advantages early on, as well as punish greedy players... so.. it's safe to assume that if you look hard enough you can find the same essentials that SC2 has... the one big issue i have is the huge disproportionate cost to unit strength between tier 2 and 3. Makes me worry about tech rushes. Tier 3 units DEMOLISH tier 2, and cost about the same. SO.... yeah... the trouble again, is holding out until tier 3, much like it in in SC2, as a zerg i can't just rush to hive because someone will just come in and kill me.

about the needing CD key: you have to register with Windows games, and click "buy game" in the library where AoEO is. This will prompt a download and give you the CD key, if you already have the game installed, just skip the download and grab the CD key. It's stupid, but that's how i got it done.
"You're a Scottish Noble Ribbon, and I am William fuckn Wallace" - ROOT.CatZ
Bart331
Profile Joined July 2010
59 Posts
May 05 2012 15:28 GMT
#355
@ Decible,

going fast age3 is not viable at all, anyone slightly decent will just rush you if you try to go age3. Creating an advantage in this game is done by macroing more efficiently in combination with good scouting and using opportunities if you see them.
pallad
Profile Joined September 2010
Poland1958 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-05 17:17:01
May 05 2012 17:11 GMT
#356
For people that can handle simple instalation and find Key , next time try to find instructions how to get it , on official site.

http://forums.ageofempiresonline.com/forums/thread/187470.aspx


SOLUTION: “Missing a valid product key” / “Enter your Product Key”
*4/16/12 UPDATE 2: We believe we have found a sollution for the issue mentioned in today's earlier update shown below. If you have had issue with missing a valid product key please attempt to downoad and sign into your game again. If this does not work please post to this thread so we can continue to troubleshoot the issue. Thank you.
*4/16/12 UPDATE: there is currently an issue that is preventing new players from downloading and activating the game. We are aware of this issue and we are working on a solution now. We apologize for any inconvenience.
If you are having the “Missing a valid product key” / “Enter your Product Key” or
“Can’t Sign in because your product Key is not Valid. Please Enter a Valid Product Key” errors that look like this.
We have a solution:

To find and enter the LIVE access code:
Exit Age of Empires Online
Go to start --> Programs --> Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace Client and launch the GFWL Marketplace Client.
Sign into the marketplace client with your LIVE username / pass (Same as you use to sign into the game). The sign in page will look like this.

Navigate to the Download Tab
Select “Age of Empires Online”
Click “View Game Keys”
Write down the LIVE access code. This process will look like this.
Launch Age of Empires Online and, when you receive the error simply press “Try Again” and enter the LIVE access code in the space required.
SC 2 -LingsLover- EU -- Jaedong , NesTea , Nerchio , DRG , Moon , Oz , Tarson , Scarlett -- Dota 2 Pallad EU- NaVi - LGD
Silencioseu
Profile Joined June 2011
Cyprus493 Posts
May 05 2012 17:23 GMT
#357
it was a whole pain in the ass to install this game and when i finally did i couldnt play any pvp cuz i dont know why
i kno i r badass no need to repeat
Bart331
Profile Joined July 2010
59 Posts
May 06 2012 08:40 GMT
#358
You need to go to the marathon server where all the activity is, then go to the sparta region and make sure to play champion mode. I know it sounds retarded
Andreas
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Norway214 Posts
May 06 2012 12:33 GMT
#359
I finally got this to work by uninstalling everything and installing through steam, that seems to work like a charm. Champion PvP seems awesome but considering it's behind a convoluted paywall where I have to pay 4 times €10 to try all the races, and the UI is really childish (I don't want to travel to a town to play 1v1), I don't think I'll be playing it very much. It's a shame because I put a lot of time into Age of Empires 2 and Age of Mythology.
pallad
Profile Joined September 2010
Poland1958 Posts
May 06 2012 12:40 GMT
#360
On May 06 2012 02:23 Silencioseu wrote:
it was a whole pain in the ass to install this game and when i finally did i couldnt play any pvp cuz i dont know why


Because you must hit some cyvilization level to play PvP , you cant play PvP from begining.
SC 2 -LingsLover- EU -- Jaedong , NesTea , Nerchio , DRG , Moon , Oz , Tarson , Scarlett -- Dota 2 Pallad EU- NaVi - LGD
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
ZZZero.O131
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 5
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 584
ZZZero.O 131
soO 57
Hyun 49
Dota 2
qojqva2443
League of Legends
Doublelift2013
Counter-Strike
fl0m4933
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4216
Liquid`Hasu659
Other Games
summit1g6633
FrodaN1352
KnowMe341
ToD296
Pyrionflax189
420jenkins184
Livibee180
QueenE103
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick774
StarCraft 2
angryscii 36
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 55
• Adnapsc2 19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 40
• FirePhoenix7
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 2042
Other Games
• imaqtpie890
• Shiphtur591
• Scarra368
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
13h 8m
Patches Events
18h 8m
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 8m
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 8m
OSC
1d 2h
OSC
1d 15h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.