• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:05
CEST 14:05
KST 21:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7881 users

Diablo III General Discussion - Page 212

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 210 211 212 213 214 1109 Next
Pufftrees
Profile Joined March 2009
2449 Posts
August 08 2011 21:09 GMT
#4221
On August 09 2011 06:00 DannyJ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2011 05:55 TheGlassface wrote:
On August 09 2011 05:43 jimmyjingle wrote:
honestly I think people are getting far too excited about the beta. it's likely still a month or so off from what we've heard.


There were beta tournaments with money for SCII.
Beta's are taken wayyyy too seriously.


huh. How is a competitive RTS beta similar?


Lol, not to mention is only an hour of content (of course I will stretch that our 20 fold at least). It's 10 levels and not even half of act 1.
Chance favors the prepared mind.
Mjolnir
Profile Joined January 2009
912 Posts
August 08 2011 21:22 GMT
#4222
On August 09 2011 04:29 Deadlyhazard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2011 0345 cz wrote:
I'll say this now: Blizzard has never made a less than "great" game before, or at least not with it's major titles since like 1997. I think Diablo III is going to break that - it's going to be a dumbed down game with cartoonish graphics. Worst of all, it won't even have the depth of Diablo II, a game that came out on 3 CD-ROMS in 2001.

I think StarCraft 2 is less than great. It's essentially everything SC1 had with nothing that couldn't be added in that game. WC3 was a much more innovative game than SC2 in everyway concerning singleplayer and custom maps. The custom stuff in SC2 hasn't got anywhere near the caliber of WC3's stuff quite yet, so I can hardly call it 'great.'

It's a very small game -- not much content. The singleplayer was poorly written and nothing innovative to speak of. It was also very linear.

I would also argue that WoTLK and Cataclysm are bad WoW expansions.

Honestly, Blizzard has gone down hill since '08. I really don't enjoy any of their new products, even though I had high hopes for each. I don't think Activision is to blame either.

That's just me. I don't expect Diablo 3 will be a very good game. It might be 'good' like SC2 is, but definitely not great.


Chalk another in line for being "jaded," then.
I feel exactly the same way.
Some of us are not happy with Blizzard, and that's a fair view to have. I dislike how we keep hearing things like, "You're going to play it anyway!" just because Blizzard made it. I tried SCII. I do *not* play it. I tried WotLK. I quit WoW.

It's ok to look at what's coming, have high hopes and still also feel a little apprehensive after past "burns."


Can someone explain to a noob here what was so bad about WotLK and Cataclysm?

I hear people bitch about them all the time but I've never heard a single reason as to why they're so terrible that it was worth quitting the game.

Just wondering...

Endymion
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States3701 Posts
August 08 2011 21:30 GMT
#4223
On August 09 2011 06:22 Mjolnir wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2011 04:29 Deadlyhazard wrote:
On August 09 2011 0345 cz wrote:
I'll say this now: Blizzard has never made a less than "great" game before, or at least not with it's major titles since like 1997. I think Diablo III is going to break that - it's going to be a dumbed down game with cartoonish graphics. Worst of all, it won't even have the depth of Diablo II, a game that came out on 3 CD-ROMS in 2001.

I think StarCraft 2 is less than great. It's essentially everything SC1 had with nothing that couldn't be added in that game. WC3 was a much more innovative game than SC2 in everyway concerning singleplayer and custom maps. The custom stuff in SC2 hasn't got anywhere near the caliber of WC3's stuff quite yet, so I can hardly call it 'great.'

It's a very small game -- not much content. The singleplayer was poorly written and nothing innovative to speak of. It was also very linear.

I would also argue that WoTLK and Cataclysm are bad WoW expansions.

Honestly, Blizzard has gone down hill since '08. I really don't enjoy any of their new products, even though I had high hopes for each. I don't think Activision is to blame either.

That's just me. I don't expect Diablo 3 will be a very good game. It might be 'good' like SC2 is, but definitely not great.


Show nested quote +
Chalk another in line for being "jaded," then.
I feel exactly the same way.
Some of us are not happy with Blizzard, and that's a fair view to have. I dislike how we keep hearing things like, "You're going to play it anyway!" just because Blizzard made it. I tried SCII. I do *not* play it. I tried WotLK. I quit WoW.

It's ok to look at what's coming, have high hopes and still also feel a little apprehensive after past "burns."


Can someone explain to a noob here what was so bad about WotLK and Cataclysm?

I hear people bitch about them all the time but I've never heard a single reason as to why they're so terrible that it was worth quitting the game.

Just wondering...



The game was a lot easier in wrath and every class is basically the exact same in cataclysm for both pve and pvp. Also the death of 25 man raids and attunements.
Have you considered the MMO-Champion forum? You are just as irrational and delusional with the right portion of nostalgic populism. By the way: The old Brood War was absolutely unplayable
TheGlassface
Profile Joined November 2010
United States612 Posts
August 08 2011 21:33 GMT
#4224
On August 09 2011 06:00 DannyJ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2011 05:55 TheGlassface wrote:
On August 09 2011 05:43 jimmyjingle wrote:
honestly I think people are getting far too excited about the beta. it's likely still a month or so off from what we've heard.


There were beta tournaments with money for SCII.
Beta's are taken wayyyy too seriously.


huh. How is a competitive RTS beta similar?


Just the beta bit. I meant to say that it seems (to me, mind you) that a lot of Betas these days are being played and looked at as if it were a finished project.

There's juts a lot of hype and exchange talked about now, since most betas are including the player base more often.

As jimmy had said before me, people are getting far too excited about the beta.
The mystery of life is not a problem to solve, but a reality to experience. **Hang in there STX fans!! Kal Hwaiting!**
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
August 08 2011 21:53 GMT
#4225
WoW Rant
+ Show Spoiler +
On August 09 2011 06:22 Mjolnir wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2011 04:29 Deadlyhazard wrote:
On August 09 2011 0345 cz wrote:
I'll say this now: Blizzard has never made a less than "great" game before, or at least not with it's major titles since like 1997. I think Diablo III is going to break that - it's going to be a dumbed down game with cartoonish graphics. Worst of all, it won't even have the depth of Diablo II, a game that came out on 3 CD-ROMS in 2001.

I think StarCraft 2 is less than great. It's essentially everything SC1 had with nothing that couldn't be added in that game. WC3 was a much more innovative game than SC2 in everyway concerning singleplayer and custom maps. The custom stuff in SC2 hasn't got anywhere near the caliber of WC3's stuff quite yet, so I can hardly call it 'great.'

It's a very small game -- not much content. The singleplayer was poorly written and nothing innovative to speak of. It was also very linear.

I would also argue that WoTLK and Cataclysm are bad WoW expansions.

Honestly, Blizzard has gone down hill since '08. I really don't enjoy any of their new products, even though I had high hopes for each. I don't think Activision is to blame either.

That's just me. I don't expect Diablo 3 will be a very good game. It might be 'good' like SC2 is, but definitely not great.


Show nested quote +
Chalk another in line for being "jaded," then.
I feel exactly the same way.
Some of us are not happy with Blizzard, and that's a fair view to have. I dislike how we keep hearing things like, "You're going to play it anyway!" just because Blizzard made it. I tried SCII. I do *not* play it. I tried WotLK. I quit WoW.

It's ok to look at what's coming, have high hopes and still also feel a little apprehensive after past "burns."


Can someone explain to a noob here what was so bad about WotLK and Cataclysm?

I hear people bitch about them all the time but I've never heard a single reason as to why they're so terrible that it was worth quitting the game.

Just wondering...



Because they are whiners who like to whine. Somehow they equate 'pointless and time consuming tasks' with badassery. All of their arguments are full of holes though.

If you talk about how great 40 man raids are, then I guess you can't like TBC since 40 mans weren't in there either. Somehow they like TBC though.

If you talk about how you didn't like WotLK raids, then I invite you to go back to Vanilla, where frankly the raid designs sucked. MC was not a good raid by any stretch.

40 mans in Vanilla were 25 mouth breathers and 15 people who knew what they were doing. There was only one competitive healing class (I really do mean competitive), one tank class and 3 dps classes. Everyone else was there for buffs and utility. TBC was better in terms of overall class balance, but you still had periods where one class was head and shoulders above or below the others (rogues and locks OP, mages UP, etc.).

If you want to talk about 'how easy' is, kindly link me all your world firsts.

I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
Deadlyhazard
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1177 Posts
August 08 2011 21:55 GMT
#4226
On August 09 2011 04:31 Playguuu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2011 04:29 Deadlyhazard wrote:
On August 09 2011 0345 cz wrote:
I'll say this now: Blizzard has never made a less than "great" game before, or at least not with it's major titles since like 1997. I think Diablo III is going to break that - it's going to be a dumbed down game with cartoonish graphics. Worst of all, it won't even have the depth of Diablo II, a game that came out on 3 CD-ROMS in 2001.

I think StarCraft 2 is less than great. It's essentially everything SC1 had with nothing that couldn't be added in that game. WC3 was a much more innovative game than SC2 in everyway concerning singleplayer and custom maps. The custom stuff in SC2 hasn't got anywhere near the caliber of WC3's stuff quite yet, so I can hardly call it 'great.'

It's a very small game -- not much content. The singleplayer was poorly written and nothing innovative to speak of. It was also very linear.

I would also argue that WoTLK and Cataclysm are bad WoW expansions.

Honestly, Blizzard has gone down hill since '08. I really don't enjoy any of their new products, even though I had high hopes for each. I don't think Activision is to blame either.

That's just me. I don't expect Diablo 3 will be a very good game. It might be 'good' like SC2 is, but definitely not great.


Wow that's an extremely jaded view.

I'm sorry, but Blizzard was my favorite gaming company of all time for a decade straight, starting with WC2. I loved them all the way up to The Burning Crusade in WoW. And I loved them for their quality and care in their games, their push to at the very least add newness and freshness into each release they gave.

That is not the Blizzard of today. They're more concerning with microtransactions than with providing content (if WoW is any case -- Diablo 3 I assume will be similar what-with all the gameplay simplifications). No talents beyond level 30? What!

Hark!
jimmyjingle
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States472 Posts
August 08 2011 22:06 GMT
#4227
On August 09 2011 06:22 Mjolnir wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2011 04:29 Deadlyhazard wrote:
On August 09 2011 0345 cz wrote:
I'll say this now: Blizzard has never made a less than "great" game before, or at least not with it's major titles since like 1997. I think Diablo III is going to break that - it's going to be a dumbed down game with cartoonish graphics. Worst of all, it won't even have the depth of Diablo II, a game that came out on 3 CD-ROMS in 2001.

I think StarCraft 2 is less than great. It's essentially everything SC1 had with nothing that couldn't be added in that game. WC3 was a much more innovative game than SC2 in everyway concerning singleplayer and custom maps. The custom stuff in SC2 hasn't got anywhere near the caliber of WC3's stuff quite yet, so I can hardly call it 'great.'

It's a very small game -- not much content. The singleplayer was poorly written and nothing innovative to speak of. It was also very linear.

I would also argue that WoTLK and Cataclysm are bad WoW expansions.

Honestly, Blizzard has gone down hill since '08. I really don't enjoy any of their new products, even though I had high hopes for each. I don't think Activision is to blame either.

That's just me. I don't expect Diablo 3 will be a very good game. It might be 'good' like SC2 is, but definitely not great.


Show nested quote +
Chalk another in line for being "jaded," then.
I feel exactly the same way.
Some of us are not happy with Blizzard, and that's a fair view to have. I dislike how we keep hearing things like, "You're going to play it anyway!" just because Blizzard made it. I tried SCII. I do *not* play it. I tried WotLK. I quit WoW.

It's ok to look at what's coming, have high hopes and still also feel a little apprehensive after past "burns."


Can someone explain to a noob here what was so bad about WotLK and Cataclysm?

I hear people bitch about them all the time but I've never heard a single reason as to why they're so terrible that it was worth quitting the game.

Just wondering...


wow is very complex and ambitious in form, even compared to other blizzard titles... so it's hard to say "this is why the game is bad" or "this is why the game is good."

as previously mentioned, the pace of combat was drastically altered, every ability of every class was entirely reworked (like every expansion) [with extensive ui adjustments], understandably it's not the same game as before.

other gripes are pretty specific to being an MMO and why they're not particularly relevant to a D3 thread... sorry if i get too abstract but;

so first, let me say that in BC and classic, a marginal percentage of the people who played wow, were able to beat bosses within the endgame raids, in wotlk the content became so easy that one no longer needed a guild, and could easily assemble his own group from random people.

this change is huge in itself, then you consider that being a member of a close-knit guild is no longer a requirement to attempt such raids. the game attracted a new demographic at this point, and the atmosphere that existed between guild-ed people and guildless shifted.

going back to the raids themselves... with the prime motivator to raid at this point simply being "to get gear," optimism did not prevail. whether a consequence or a catalyst, blizzard made "raid gear" obtainable from much easier and less involving methods.

these as i see it, are the root of a lot of contention towards wotlk.
I get brain like a skull
jimmyjingle
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States472 Posts
August 08 2011 22:07 GMT
#4228
so yeah, my previous post is not relevant to d3, because its about things specific to an MMO.
I get brain like a skull
cjin
Profile Joined July 2011
181 Posts
August 08 2011 22:09 GMT
#4229
On August 09 2011 06:22 Mjolnir wrote:
Can someone explain to a noob here what was so bad about WotLK and Cataclysm?

I hear people bitch about them all the time but I've never heard a single reason as to why they're so terrible that it was worth quitting the game.

Just wondering...



Blizzard changed classes and how raiding works and so on so much each expansion. people always try to fight against changes. You can see it clearly by the amount of cry to get lurkers to SC2. If you read this very thread, you find out that people wants D3 to be nothing more than D2 with improved graphics and maybe new class or 2.

Also if you think, some 6 years is quite long time to play a game. Some people just... lets say "grow out" from playing the game. Especially something like WoW, where whole idea is to do same thing over and over again in hope of getting new items. When someone finally gets to point of saying to himself "this is no longer fun it used to be" they try to find a reason why its no longer fun. And most of the times very first reason is not that you are 6 years older, have full time job, maybe a child or 2 and lots of other stuff to do. First difference you find is, that newest expansion changed how the game works, so you think it must be the reason.
Bibdy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States3481 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-08 22:35:16
August 08 2011 22:22 GMT
#4230
On August 09 2011 06:55 Deadlyhazard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2011 04:31 Playguuu wrote:
On August 09 2011 04:29 Deadlyhazard wrote:
On August 09 2011 0345 cz wrote:
I'll say this now: Blizzard has never made a less than "great" game before, or at least not with it's major titles since like 1997. I think Diablo III is going to break that - it's going to be a dumbed down game with cartoonish graphics. Worst of all, it won't even have the depth of Diablo II, a game that came out on 3 CD-ROMS in 2001.

I think StarCraft 2 is less than great. It's essentially everything SC1 had with nothing that couldn't be added in that game. WC3 was a much more innovative game than SC2 in everyway concerning singleplayer and custom maps. The custom stuff in SC2 hasn't got anywhere near the caliber of WC3's stuff quite yet, so I can hardly call it 'great.'

It's a very small game -- not much content. The singleplayer was poorly written and nothing innovative to speak of. It was also very linear.

I would also argue that WoTLK and Cataclysm are bad WoW expansions.

Honestly, Blizzard has gone down hill since '08. I really don't enjoy any of their new products, even though I had high hopes for each. I don't think Activision is to blame either.

That's just me. I don't expect Diablo 3 will be a very good game. It might be 'good' like SC2 is, but definitely not great.


Wow that's an extremely jaded view.

I'm sorry, but Blizzard was my favorite gaming company of all time for a decade straight, starting with WC2. I loved them all the way up to The Burning Crusade in WoW. And I loved them for their quality and care in their games, their push to at the very least add newness and freshness into each release they gave.

That is not the Blizzard of today. They're more concerning with microtransactions than with providing content (if WoW is any case -- Diablo 3 I assume will be similar what-with all the gameplay simplifications). No talents beyond level 30? What!



You didn't get any new spells after level 30 in Diablo 2, either, so what's the problem? Do you want it to be like WoW where you get 5 new spells in the closing levels, and the game is completely different at the end-game?

Diablo 2's entire talent system was about saving the vast majority of your talent points while you slogged through the first 30 levels with rank 1 pre-req spells until you hit certain milestones in the tree and you could finally start pumping up the things you wanted to use for your build. This was, of course, the system you graduated to after you'd levelled your first character, did whatever the fuck you felt would be good at the time, turned out it sucked intergalactic space donkey balls, your character was made of crapstick and ass, and so you started over with a more long-term goal. Indeed, this could also not be accomplished until you either experimented yourself until you had an understanding of how good each spell was going to be (making assumptions of 'if a spell is strong at rank 1, it must be strong at rank 20!') or you went to the internet and read about how good each spell was, leeching off others' experience.

Do you want that back? If so, you're shit out of luck, because one of the devs flat-out said the system was crappy and they're going to change it. From the dev chats, they're quite acutely aware of how just plain terrible Diablo 2 was at a lot of things and they're making changes, not to make things simple, but to have you spend more time in the game blowing shit up, instead of waiting, and waiting, and waiting, until you can finally enjoy your build.
R4TM
Profile Joined June 2011
Brazil140 Posts
August 08 2011 22:22 GMT
#4231
Lol is this a diablo or a wow thread????

Did blizzard mention a release date?
Doko
Profile Joined May 2010
Argentina1737 Posts
August 08 2011 22:31 GMT
#4232
I would imagine they'll release somewhere around christmas.
strength
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States493 Posts
August 08 2011 22:35 GMT
#4233
I think they'll release some info tomorrow since last Tuesday they said beta announcment or something. If they don't release any info tomorrow since its Tuesday... I feel like their beta test 2 weeks ago went horribly bad
myopia
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2928 Posts
August 08 2011 22:56 GMT
#4234
Yeah, Christmas season means a LOT of shipped product. I'm pretty confident that the Blizzard of today will push this game out before year's end.
it's my first day
Deadlyhazard
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1177 Posts
August 09 2011 00:01 GMT
#4235
On August 09 2011 07:22 Bibdy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2011 06:55 Deadlyhazard wrote:
On August 09 2011 04:31 Playguuu wrote:
On August 09 2011 04:29 Deadlyhazard wrote:
On August 09 2011 0345 cz wrote:
I'll say this now: Blizzard has never made a less than "great" game before, or at least not with it's major titles since like 1997. I think Diablo III is going to break that - it's going to be a dumbed down game with cartoonish graphics. Worst of all, it won't even have the depth of Diablo II, a game that came out on 3 CD-ROMS in 2001.

I think StarCraft 2 is less than great. It's essentially everything SC1 had with nothing that couldn't be added in that game. WC3 was a much more innovative game than SC2 in everyway concerning singleplayer and custom maps. The custom stuff in SC2 hasn't got anywhere near the caliber of WC3's stuff quite yet, so I can hardly call it 'great.'

It's a very small game -- not much content. The singleplayer was poorly written and nothing innovative to speak of. It was also very linear.

I would also argue that WoTLK and Cataclysm are bad WoW expansions.

Honestly, Blizzard has gone down hill since '08. I really don't enjoy any of their new products, even though I had high hopes for each. I don't think Activision is to blame either.

That's just me. I don't expect Diablo 3 will be a very good game. It might be 'good' like SC2 is, but definitely not great.


Wow that's an extremely jaded view.

I'm sorry, but Blizzard was my favorite gaming company of all time for a decade straight, starting with WC2. I loved them all the way up to The Burning Crusade in WoW. And I loved them for their quality and care in their games, their push to at the very least add newness and freshness into each release they gave.

That is not the Blizzard of today. They're more concerning with microtransactions than with providing content (if WoW is any case -- Diablo 3 I assume will be similar what-with all the gameplay simplifications). No talents beyond level 30? What!



You didn't get any new spells after level 30 in Diablo 2, either, so what's the problem? Do you want it to be like WoW where you get 5 new spells in the closing levels, and the game is completely different at the end-game?

Diablo 2's entire talent system was about saving the vast majority of your talent points while you slogged through the first 30 levels with rank 1 pre-req spells until you hit certain milestones in the tree and you could finally start pumping up the things you wanted to use for your build. This was, of course, the system you graduated to after you'd levelled your first character, did whatever the fuck you felt would be good at the time, turned out it sucked intergalactic space donkey balls, your character was made of crapstick and ass, and so you started over with a more long-term goal. Indeed, this could also not be accomplished until you either experimented yourself until you had an understanding of how good each spell was going to be (making assumptions of 'if a spell is strong at rank 1, it must be strong at rank 20!') or you went to the internet and read about how good each spell was, leeching off others' experience.

Do you want that back? If so, you're shit out of luck, because one of the devs flat-out said the system was crappy and they're going to change it. From the dev chats, they're quite acutely aware of how just plain terrible Diablo 2 was at a lot of things and they're making changes, not to make things simple, but to have you spend more time in the game blowing shit up, instead of waiting, and waiting, and waiting, until you can finally enjoy your build.



It really isn't better than Diablo 2's system, both suck. There should be a lot more in the way of spells past level 30, for nightmare and hell mode (and inferno?). If they're doing it for balance reasons....well lol @ balance in a Blizzard game with RPG mechanics. I think they need to redo a ton of things altogether, but they shouldn't simplify what Diablo 2 did...
Hark!
snajper
Profile Joined July 2011
48 Posts
August 09 2011 00:05 GMT
#4236
WoW people GTFO to your own THREADS !!

This is thread about D3 T_T ;o
Bibdy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States3481 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-09 00:10:19
August 09 2011 00:07 GMT
#4237
On August 09 2011 09:01 Deadlyhazard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2011 07:22 Bibdy wrote:
On August 09 2011 06:55 Deadlyhazard wrote:
On August 09 2011 04:31 Playguuu wrote:
On August 09 2011 04:29 Deadlyhazard wrote:
On August 09 2011 0345 cz wrote:
I'll say this now: Blizzard has never made a less than "great" game before, or at least not with it's major titles since like 1997. I think Diablo III is going to break that - it's going to be a dumbed down game with cartoonish graphics. Worst of all, it won't even have the depth of Diablo II, a game that came out on 3 CD-ROMS in 2001.

I think StarCraft 2 is less than great. It's essentially everything SC1 had with nothing that couldn't be added in that game. WC3 was a much more innovative game than SC2 in everyway concerning singleplayer and custom maps. The custom stuff in SC2 hasn't got anywhere near the caliber of WC3's stuff quite yet, so I can hardly call it 'great.'

It's a very small game -- not much content. The singleplayer was poorly written and nothing innovative to speak of. It was also very linear.

I would also argue that WoTLK and Cataclysm are bad WoW expansions.

Honestly, Blizzard has gone down hill since '08. I really don't enjoy any of their new products, even though I had high hopes for each. I don't think Activision is to blame either.

That's just me. I don't expect Diablo 3 will be a very good game. It might be 'good' like SC2 is, but definitely not great.


Wow that's an extremely jaded view.

I'm sorry, but Blizzard was my favorite gaming company of all time for a decade straight, starting with WC2. I loved them all the way up to The Burning Crusade in WoW. And I loved them for their quality and care in their games, their push to at the very least add newness and freshness into each release they gave.

That is not the Blizzard of today. They're more concerning with microtransactions than with providing content (if WoW is any case -- Diablo 3 I assume will be similar what-with all the gameplay simplifications). No talents beyond level 30? What!



You didn't get any new spells after level 30 in Diablo 2, either, so what's the problem? Do you want it to be like WoW where you get 5 new spells in the closing levels, and the game is completely different at the end-game?

Diablo 2's entire talent system was about saving the vast majority of your talent points while you slogged through the first 30 levels with rank 1 pre-req spells until you hit certain milestones in the tree and you could finally start pumping up the things you wanted to use for your build. This was, of course, the system you graduated to after you'd levelled your first character, did whatever the fuck you felt would be good at the time, turned out it sucked intergalactic space donkey balls, your character was made of crapstick and ass, and so you started over with a more long-term goal. Indeed, this could also not be accomplished until you either experimented yourself until you had an understanding of how good each spell was going to be (making assumptions of 'if a spell is strong at rank 1, it must be strong at rank 20!') or you went to the internet and read about how good each spell was, leeching off others' experience.

Do you want that back? If so, you're shit out of luck, because one of the devs flat-out said the system was crappy and they're going to change it. From the dev chats, they're quite acutely aware of how just plain terrible Diablo 2 was at a lot of things and they're making changes, not to make things simple, but to have you spend more time in the game blowing shit up, instead of waiting, and waiting, and waiting, until you can finally enjoy your build.



It really isn't better than Diablo 2's system, both suck. There should be a lot more in the way of spells past level 30, for nightmare and hell mode (and inferno?). If they're doing it for balance reasons....well lol @ balance in a Blizzard game with RPG mechanics. I think they need to redo a ton of things altogether, but they shouldn't simplify what Diablo 2 did...


The thing is, you haven't seen this one in action for 10 years. Nor did Diablo 2 have a Rune system which will keep the realm of abilities plenty interesting beyond level 30. They obviously want people to play beyond that stage, and its up to them to create the incentive. Loot with better stats, was enough for us to go through two more difficulty levels of Diablo 2, witnessing the exact same content, but with a few minor changes (multiple boss effects, resistances, damage types etc.) but I think it's pretty clear that they realize the old fans want something more than that this time.
NotJack
Profile Joined December 2009
United States737 Posts
August 09 2011 00:21 GMT
#4238
On August 09 2011 09:01 Deadlyhazard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2011 07:22 Bibdy wrote:
On August 09 2011 06:55 Deadlyhazard wrote:
On August 09 2011 04:31 Playguuu wrote:
On August 09 2011 04:29 Deadlyhazard wrote:
On August 09 2011 0345 cz wrote:
I'll say this now: Blizzard has never made a less than "great" game before, or at least not with it's major titles since like 1997. I think Diablo III is going to break that - it's going to be a dumbed down game with cartoonish graphics. Worst of all, it won't even have the depth of Diablo II, a game that came out on 3 CD-ROMS in 2001.

I think StarCraft 2 is less than great. It's essentially everything SC1 had with nothing that couldn't be added in that game. WC3 was a much more innovative game than SC2 in everyway concerning singleplayer and custom maps. The custom stuff in SC2 hasn't got anywhere near the caliber of WC3's stuff quite yet, so I can hardly call it 'great.'

It's a very small game -- not much content. The singleplayer was poorly written and nothing innovative to speak of. It was also very linear.

I would also argue that WoTLK and Cataclysm are bad WoW expansions.

Honestly, Blizzard has gone down hill since '08. I really don't enjoy any of their new products, even though I had high hopes for each. I don't think Activision is to blame either.

That's just me. I don't expect Diablo 3 will be a very good game. It might be 'good' like SC2 is, but definitely not great.


Wow that's an extremely jaded view.

I'm sorry, but Blizzard was my favorite gaming company of all time for a decade straight, starting with WC2. I loved them all the way up to The Burning Crusade in WoW. And I loved them for their quality and care in their games, their push to at the very least add newness and freshness into each release they gave.

That is not the Blizzard of today. They're more concerning with microtransactions than with providing content (if WoW is any case -- Diablo 3 I assume will be similar what-with all the gameplay simplifications). No talents beyond level 30? What!



You didn't get any new spells after level 30 in Diablo 2, either, so what's the problem? Do you want it to be like WoW where you get 5 new spells in the closing levels, and the game is completely different at the end-game?

Diablo 2's entire talent system was about saving the vast majority of your talent points while you slogged through the first 30 levels with rank 1 pre-req spells until you hit certain milestones in the tree and you could finally start pumping up the things you wanted to use for your build. This was, of course, the system you graduated to after you'd levelled your first character, did whatever the fuck you felt would be good at the time, turned out it sucked intergalactic space donkey balls, your character was made of crapstick and ass, and so you started over with a more long-term goal. Indeed, this could also not be accomplished until you either experimented yourself until you had an understanding of how good each spell was going to be (making assumptions of 'if a spell is strong at rank 1, it must be strong at rank 20!') or you went to the internet and read about how good each spell was, leeching off others' experience.

Do you want that back? If so, you're shit out of luck, because one of the devs flat-out said the system was crappy and they're going to change it. From the dev chats, they're quite acutely aware of how just plain terrible Diablo 2 was at a lot of things and they're making changes, not to make things simple, but to have you spend more time in the game blowing shit up, instead of waiting, and waiting, and waiting, until you can finally enjoy your build.



It really isn't better than Diablo 2's system, both suck. There should be a lot more in the way of spells past level 30, for nightmare and hell mode (and inferno?). If they're doing it for balance reasons....well lol @ balance in a Blizzard game with RPG mechanics. I think they need to redo a ton of things altogether, but they shouldn't simplify what Diablo 2 did...


It's much better than D2's system. I don't want so many skills that homogenize the classes, and the Guild Wars skill system makes it so you'll see a lot of variation at the end game besides the three builds people deem good enough to waste your time on in D2. I don't see how you think they're doing it for balance reasons, as having less skills would make it harder to balance each class. You really aren't giving your arguments enough thought.
Serpico
Profile Joined May 2010
4285 Posts
August 09 2011 00:34 GMT
#4239
On August 09 2011 09:21 NotJack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2011 09:01 Deadlyhazard wrote:
On August 09 2011 07:22 Bibdy wrote:
On August 09 2011 06:55 Deadlyhazard wrote:
On August 09 2011 04:31 Playguuu wrote:
On August 09 2011 04:29 Deadlyhazard wrote:
On August 09 2011 0345 cz wrote:
I'll say this now: Blizzard has never made a less than "great" game before, or at least not with it's major titles since like 1997. I think Diablo III is going to break that - it's going to be a dumbed down game with cartoonish graphics. Worst of all, it won't even have the depth of Diablo II, a game that came out on 3 CD-ROMS in 2001.

I think StarCraft 2 is less than great. It's essentially everything SC1 had with nothing that couldn't be added in that game. WC3 was a much more innovative game than SC2 in everyway concerning singleplayer and custom maps. The custom stuff in SC2 hasn't got anywhere near the caliber of WC3's stuff quite yet, so I can hardly call it 'great.'

It's a very small game -- not much content. The singleplayer was poorly written and nothing innovative to speak of. It was also very linear.

I would also argue that WoTLK and Cataclysm are bad WoW expansions.

Honestly, Blizzard has gone down hill since '08. I really don't enjoy any of their new products, even though I had high hopes for each. I don't think Activision is to blame either.

That's just me. I don't expect Diablo 3 will be a very good game. It might be 'good' like SC2 is, but definitely not great.


Wow that's an extremely jaded view.

I'm sorry, but Blizzard was my favorite gaming company of all time for a decade straight, starting with WC2. I loved them all the way up to The Burning Crusade in WoW. And I loved them for their quality and care in their games, their push to at the very least add newness and freshness into each release they gave.

That is not the Blizzard of today. They're more concerning with microtransactions than with providing content (if WoW is any case -- Diablo 3 I assume will be similar what-with all the gameplay simplifications). No talents beyond level 30? What!



You didn't get any new spells after level 30 in Diablo 2, either, so what's the problem? Do you want it to be like WoW where you get 5 new spells in the closing levels, and the game is completely different at the end-game?

Diablo 2's entire talent system was about saving the vast majority of your talent points while you slogged through the first 30 levels with rank 1 pre-req spells until you hit certain milestones in the tree and you could finally start pumping up the things you wanted to use for your build. This was, of course, the system you graduated to after you'd levelled your first character, did whatever the fuck you felt would be good at the time, turned out it sucked intergalactic space donkey balls, your character was made of crapstick and ass, and so you started over with a more long-term goal. Indeed, this could also not be accomplished until you either experimented yourself until you had an understanding of how good each spell was going to be (making assumptions of 'if a spell is strong at rank 1, it must be strong at rank 20!') or you went to the internet and read about how good each spell was, leeching off others' experience.

Do you want that back? If so, you're shit out of luck, because one of the devs flat-out said the system was crappy and they're going to change it. From the dev chats, they're quite acutely aware of how just plain terrible Diablo 2 was at a lot of things and they're making changes, not to make things simple, but to have you spend more time in the game blowing shit up, instead of waiting, and waiting, and waiting, until you can finally enjoy your build.



It really isn't better than Diablo 2's system, both suck. There should be a lot more in the way of spells past level 30, for nightmare and hell mode (and inferno?). If they're doing it for balance reasons....well lol @ balance in a Blizzard game with RPG mechanics. I think they need to redo a ton of things altogether, but they shouldn't simplify what Diablo 2 did...


It's much better than D2's system. I don't want so many skills that homogenize the classes, and the Guild Wars skill system makes it so you'll see a lot of variation at the end game besides the three builds people deem good enough to waste your time on in D2. I don't see how you think they're doing it for balance reasons, as having less skills would make it harder to balance each class. You really aren't giving your arguments enough thought.

what?
NotJack
Profile Joined December 2009
United States737 Posts
August 09 2011 00:38 GMT
#4240
On August 09 2011 09:34 Serpico wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2011 09:21 NotJack wrote:
On August 09 2011 09:01 Deadlyhazard wrote:
On August 09 2011 07:22 Bibdy wrote:
On August 09 2011 06:55 Deadlyhazard wrote:
On August 09 2011 04:31 Playguuu wrote:
On August 09 2011 04:29 Deadlyhazard wrote:
On August 09 2011 0345 cz wrote:
I'll say this now: Blizzard has never made a less than "great" game before, or at least not with it's major titles since like 1997. I think Diablo III is going to break that - it's going to be a dumbed down game with cartoonish graphics. Worst of all, it won't even have the depth of Diablo II, a game that came out on 3 CD-ROMS in 2001.

I think StarCraft 2 is less than great. It's essentially everything SC1 had with nothing that couldn't be added in that game. WC3 was a much more innovative game than SC2 in everyway concerning singleplayer and custom maps. The custom stuff in SC2 hasn't got anywhere near the caliber of WC3's stuff quite yet, so I can hardly call it 'great.'

It's a very small game -- not much content. The singleplayer was poorly written and nothing innovative to speak of. It was also very linear.

I would also argue that WoTLK and Cataclysm are bad WoW expansions.

Honestly, Blizzard has gone down hill since '08. I really don't enjoy any of their new products, even though I had high hopes for each. I don't think Activision is to blame either.

That's just me. I don't expect Diablo 3 will be a very good game. It might be 'good' like SC2 is, but definitely not great.


Wow that's an extremely jaded view.

I'm sorry, but Blizzard was my favorite gaming company of all time for a decade straight, starting with WC2. I loved them all the way up to The Burning Crusade in WoW. And I loved them for their quality and care in their games, their push to at the very least add newness and freshness into each release they gave.

That is not the Blizzard of today. They're more concerning with microtransactions than with providing content (if WoW is any case -- Diablo 3 I assume will be similar what-with all the gameplay simplifications). No talents beyond level 30? What!



You didn't get any new spells after level 30 in Diablo 2, either, so what's the problem? Do you want it to be like WoW where you get 5 new spells in the closing levels, and the game is completely different at the end-game?

Diablo 2's entire talent system was about saving the vast majority of your talent points while you slogged through the first 30 levels with rank 1 pre-req spells until you hit certain milestones in the tree and you could finally start pumping up the things you wanted to use for your build. This was, of course, the system you graduated to after you'd levelled your first character, did whatever the fuck you felt would be good at the time, turned out it sucked intergalactic space donkey balls, your character was made of crapstick and ass, and so you started over with a more long-term goal. Indeed, this could also not be accomplished until you either experimented yourself until you had an understanding of how good each spell was going to be (making assumptions of 'if a spell is strong at rank 1, it must be strong at rank 20!') or you went to the internet and read about how good each spell was, leeching off others' experience.

Do you want that back? If so, you're shit out of luck, because one of the devs flat-out said the system was crappy and they're going to change it. From the dev chats, they're quite acutely aware of how just plain terrible Diablo 2 was at a lot of things and they're making changes, not to make things simple, but to have you spend more time in the game blowing shit up, instead of waiting, and waiting, and waiting, until you can finally enjoy your build.



It really isn't better than Diablo 2's system, both suck. There should be a lot more in the way of spells past level 30, for nightmare and hell mode (and inferno?). If they're doing it for balance reasons....well lol @ balance in a Blizzard game with RPG mechanics. I think they need to redo a ton of things altogether, but they shouldn't simplify what Diablo 2 did...


It's much better than D2's system. I don't want so many skills that homogenize the classes, and the Guild Wars skill system makes it so you'll see a lot of variation at the end game besides the three builds people deem good enough to waste your time on in D2. I don't see how you think they're doing it for balance reasons, as having less skills would make it harder to balance each class. You really aren't giving your arguments enough thought.

what?


I like how you weren't confused with me saying more skills makes everything the same, but were with less skills makes it harder to balance.

I don't know how to respond to such an eloquent counter-point, but yeah, less skills makes classes harder to balance.
Prev 1 210 211 212 213 214 1109 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs KrystianerLIVE!
TBD vs Percival
CranKy Ducklings140
CranKy Ducklings SOOP39
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko351
ProTech119
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 4257
Jaedong 2005
actioN 1024
EffOrt 785
Soma 619
Horang2 586
Killer 507
BeSt 453
Stork 228
Pusan 184
[ Show more ]
Mini 177
Zeus 137
Rush 121
Barracks 96
Light 91
JYJ 90
Snow 85
Larva 68
ggaemo 61
Sea.KH 52
Mong 49
HiyA 47
ToSsGirL 40
Bale 35
hero 28
Sharp 24
Shinee 24
sorry 17
zelot 17
Sexy 16
Noble 15
Sacsri 9
JulyZerg 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5629
Dendi626
XaKoH 375
League of Legends
Reynor82
Counter-Strike
kRYSTAL_40
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes3068
Other Games
gofns70457
singsing1551
olofmeister1288
byalli518
B2W.Neo215
Livibee204
OGKoka 102
ArmadaUGS58
Organizations
StarCraft 2
WardiTV378
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream296
Other Games
BasetradeTV193
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV188
League of Legends
• Jankos1791
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
11h 55m
Kung Fu Cup
22h 55m
The PondCast
1d 21h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.