• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:07
CEST 19:07
KST 02:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12434 users

Civ IV Succession Game?

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 13 14 15 Next All
Falcynn
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States3597 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-03 20:30:03
November 30 2009 23:30 GMT
#1
+ Show Spoiler +
I'm just posting this on an impulse, but I recently got back into playing Civ IV:BTS and thought about playing it with other TLers, but as I remember how much of a pain it was getting an actual multiplayer game going sometimes
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=85112
I tried to think of something else.

Then I remembered the Dwarf Fortress succession game
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=99353
which seemed to lose interest rather quickly, and thought maybe it'd be a cool idea to do a Civ IV succession game. Basically what this means is that I'll compile an ordered list of people, the first guy in the list plays a set amount of turns, then saves the game, sends it to the next guy down the list, and he continues playing for his set amount of turns. Of course, extensive battle reporting, and pictures will be encouraged (maybe even required?) to keep everyone interested and updated.

Although unlike Dwarf Fortress, Civ IV doesn't seem to have an easy way to divide the turns. Dwarf Fortress had seasons/years which made it easy to just pass off the game after 1 year since all aspects of the game were fun. Although with Civ IV, the first 50 turns go by incredibly fast, and probably aren't that interesting. So I'm not sure how exactly how we'll divide the turns, but if there is enough interest for this maybe we can figure something out?

Again, just posting this on an impulse to see if anyone would enjoy this.


Finally got off my lazy ass to update this.

Note: If you're informed that it's your turn or you see that it's your turn, please post in this thread to let everyone know that you're working on it. If you don't want to double post, then you can edit your battle report in, but please acknowledge that it's your turn so we can all be assured that everything's still running. Thank you.

Latest save: [url blocked]

List of Players
prOxi.Beater
Fen
Thratur
noddyz
deconduo
Manit0u
Biochemist
narri

(crossed out names have already gone, and will/can go again once the last person on the list has gone)

If you're not on the list and you'd like to be, either post here or PM me. The list is in order, so if you see that the person above you already finished their turn, then you're next. I'll PM you to let you know when it's your turn, but if I can't for whatever reason, then just know that you can check when you're turn will probably be by how far along the list we are. If you wish to be taken off the list, then again, post here or PM me. Thank you.

+ Show Spoiler [Polls] +
[image loading]

Poll: Difficulty?
(Vote): Settler
(Vote): Cheiftan
(Vote): Warlord
(Vote): Noble
(Vote): Prince
(Vote): Monarch
(Vote): Emperor
(Vote): Immortal
(Vote): Deity

[image loading]

Poll: Map type?
(Vote): Pangea
(Vote): Archipelageo
(Vote): Continents
(Vote): Fractal
(Vote): Terra
(Vote): Other

[image loading]

Poll: Civilization?
(Vote): Random
(Vote): Pick

[image loading]

Poll: Game speed?
(Vote): Marathon
(Vote): Epic
(Vote): Normal
(Vote): Quick
Fen
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Australia1848 Posts
November 30 2009 23:44 GMT
#2
I would play!!

However there would have to be time limits on moves (maybe a day?) and if people didnt meet their time limit a computer would play their turn. Otherwise it would go forever.
Jyvblamo
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada13788 Posts
November 30 2009 23:46 GMT
#3
Whaaat, there was a DF succession game?
=[

I totally would've owned shit up Boatmurdered style.
Boblion
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
France8043 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-30 23:50:32
November 30 2009 23:50 GMT
#4
On December 01 2009 08:46 Jyvblamo wrote:
Boatmurdered style.

haha this was the best thing i have ever read about a video game.
fuck all those elitists brb watching streams of elite players.
Fatmatt2000
Profile Joined January 2006
United States159 Posts
November 30 2009 23:55 GMT
#5
I'd be interested depending on how it was set up, and how good everyone else playing is. I dont want to lose the game for everyone else.
Quote?
Beside_kr
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada902 Posts
November 30 2009 23:58 GMT
#6
I would be down, except for the fact that I don't play CIV competitively so I would be afraid of letting whoever was playing after me down
Cuffs, cuffs, you can't break those cuffs
citi.zen
Profile Joined April 2009
2509 Posts
December 01 2009 00:13 GMT
#7
Europa Universalis,in any incarnation, is a great game to do this with. Not enough people paly it these days though! Good luck with the civ succession, I would maybe follow it.
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
Badjas
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Netherlands2038 Posts
December 01 2009 01:06 GMT
#8
Dividing up play time between participants can be done with game turns. Even the first turns go fast, they have a big influence on the rest of the game amirite?

And every participant should get at least a couple of turns in.

Wouldn't participate but if there's any interesting writing on it, I'd read it. (yes, boatmurdered style is preferable)
I <3 the internet, I <3 you
Thratur
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada917 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-12-01 01:30:57
December 01 2009 01:29 GMT
#9
I would definitely play! I'm between noble and prince level if this is important =)

Let's take some finance and organized guy. I love to macro.
igotmyown
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States4291 Posts
December 01 2009 04:35 GMT
#10
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=139127

Check for basic setup
Fatmatt2000
Profile Joined January 2006
United States159 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-12-01 05:41:59
December 01 2009 05:38 GMT
#11
Piggybacking off what the above poster said I'm gonna repost these guidelines for playing a Succession Game I found off the civfanatics forums as I thought they were interesting/ a good way to start thinking about the game


+ Show Spoiler [Civ 4 succession game guidelines] +
Alpha: The quality of your report outweighs the quality of your play. We’re here to have fun, and, of course, winning is fun, but losing in style is preferable to a boring win.

Bravo: Reports should be detailed, with plenty of screen shots and player commentary, explanations, musings, etc; an auto-log dump will not suffice. Shots of the F9 screens and overview shots of the empire are nice too, once in a while.

Charlie: Punctuality rocks! “24/48” means post a "got it" within 24 hours of when the last save was posted, and play within 48 hours of that ‘got it.’ Waiting 47 hours to ask for a skip is lame. Punk out two times in a row, and you’ll be dropped from the roster. Skips and swaps are fine, but try to let us know sooner, rather than later.

Delta: Major game decisions (war/peace declarations, religion swaps, city placement, etc) should be arrived at via group consensus.
1. If the team disagrees with you, either argue your case better, or do it their way. Do NOT just blow them off and do it your way because it's your turn.
2. However, if there’s no consensus and you’re up, do it your way and explain why. Conversely, if someone else is up, don't whine when they do it their way.
3. Similarly, overruling techs or city builds is rude and should be done via consensus, barring an emergency.
4. In extraordinary situations, sometimes an opportunity presents itself that the group didn't foresee. If the consequences of it are great, players should stop, and refer the question to the group.

Echo: Being a better player does not give you the right to belittle anyone else or their play. Other people are going to disagree with you on major decisions; get used to the idea, and play nice. If not, take your ball and go home.

Foxtrot: Thread spam is good. Trash talking, poking fun, gentle ribbing, virtual noogies, and generally horsing around are all encouraged, but don’t be rude.

Golf: Automate sparingly.
1. Workers should almost never be automated, except perhaps late-game or building a trade network. However, if you have to, set your game options to “disallow automated worker forest chopping” and “keep previous improvements.”
2. Use of the “Emphasis” buttons is fine, but let the group know and explain your reasoning (specialization is a major game decision). If you prevent growth in a city, let the group know and remind them to take it off. Do NOT let the governor select build orders.
3. Sending units on go-to routes that last beyond your set is acceptable only if they’re heading for a rally point or if you otherwise inform your teammates. NEVER fortify Great People.

Hotel: Sign spamming is rude. Signs can be helpful reminders, but too many signs makes them easily ignored. Once a sign is no longer valid, delete it.


I haven't played Civ 4 in a long time so what do you guys think about the game specifics like:

Difficulty, what is the average skill level of the people playing? (I recall tearing through prince without many problems but, like I said its been awhile...)
How many people are going to be playing? (although thats kinda the point of the thread isnt it...)
Can we find a Civ we all like?(I always liked someone who had a good unit for an early war like Rome or the Celts...)
What are some good map types? (no clue here.)
Game Speed? (normal I always thought was way too fast.)
Im sure there are about a million other things Im missing here too.
Quote?
Jyvblamo
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada13788 Posts
December 01 2009 10:36 GMT
#12
On December 01 2009 09:13 citi.zen wrote:
Europa Universalis,in any incarnation, is a great game to do this with. Not enough people paly it these days though! Good luck with the civ succession, I would maybe follow it.

I play EU3, and I'd be up for a Europa Universalis succession game.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
December 01 2009 16:39 GMT
#13
And how about a session of SMAC? It was far superior to Civ series.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
ShroomyD
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Australia245 Posts
December 01 2009 16:48 GMT
#14
Go vs yourself succession game
아나코자본주의
kAra
Profile Joined September 2004
Germany1467 Posts
December 01 2009 16:57 GMT
#15
i like to play civ 4 bts 2vs2 !
if a team nteresed pm me
mada mada dane
prOxi.Beater
Profile Joined December 2008
Denmark626 Posts
December 01 2009 17:07 GMT
#16
I might be interested in participating, but I'm having a lot of trouble installing BTS at the moment so no promises.

I've never played anything above monarch since playing a single player game competitively just doesn't make much sense to my brain. I also never finish my games. I'll put myself in an overwhelmingly good position and then leave the game, since the rest would just be riding the advantage home, which gets rather stale.
Nobody beats the Beater
noddyz
Profile Joined October 2008
United Kingdom462 Posts
December 01 2009 17:43 GMT
#17
Would love to play if i can update bts properly. Emperorish level.
?
Falcynn
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States3597 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-12-01 23:16:54
December 01 2009 23:11 GMT
#18
Nice to see there's interest in this. I guess we should probably vote for difficulty level, and map type then.

I'll post up a poll, but it'd probably be more accurate if you guys actually posted what you'd prefer since I don't want a bunch of people who don't plan to play spamming up "deity" or whatever. As for civilization, since there's too many to put them in a poll, I think I'll just see if people even want to pick a civ first, or if they'd prefer random.

Also, quick note to people who are interested, but aren't confident in their skills. Don't worry about it, just join anyways! In fact, it's probably more fun if we throw a few inexperienced guys into the mix (see boatmurdered ) and for what it's worth, noble is the highest difficulty I can beat consistantly.
liquorice
Profile Joined August 2008
United States170 Posts
December 02 2009 03:34 GMT
#19
On December 02 2009 01:39 Manit0u wrote:
And how about a session of SMAC? It was far superior to Civ series.


fuck yes it was. Except for that it's really hard to figure out what to do when you first start playing. If they ever made a sequel/update with better graphics and a better UI, I would buy that shit in an instant.

Never got the multiplayer to work on that so I can't say if that was good or not but I'd imagine so with missiles and things.

planet crackers!
fuck yeah zerglings!
nttea
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Sweden4353 Posts
December 02 2009 03:46 GMT
#20
On December 02 2009 12:34 liquorice wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 02 2009 01:39 Manit0u wrote:
And how about a session of SMAC? It was far superior to Civ series.


fuck yes it was. Except for that it's really hard to figure out what to do when you first start playing. If they ever made a sequel/update with better graphics and a better UI, I would buy that shit in an instant.

Never got the multiplayer to work on that so I can't say if that was good or not but I'd imagine so with missiles and things.

planet crackers!

hell yes! i remember those were some heavy duty problem solvers, a couple of those with singularity power and they blew an enemy faction off the face of the planet and left a huge deep-sea crater behind it.
1 2 3 4 5 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM949
TKL 398
IndyStarCraft 276
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 949
ByuN 438
TKL 398
IndyStarCraft 276
BRAT_OK 50
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 47613
Calm 3052
firebathero 159
actioN 149
Free 39
Mong 31
ToSsGirL 29
Rock 25
Pusan 24
Aegong 17
[ Show more ]
soO 17
Terrorterran 15
scan(afreeca) 13
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc9075
Dendi1124
League of Legends
Reynor278
Counter-Strike
fl0m5002
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King93
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu75
MindelVK12
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1944
singsing1797
FrodaN904
B2W.Neo784
Beastyqt687
olofmeister481
Mlord476
Khaldor431
KnowMe298
crisheroes191
Livibee117
ToD0
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick198
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 26
• Adnapsc2 10
• Reevou 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach50
• Azhi_Dahaki15
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV544
League of Legends
• Nemesis3100
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1481
Other Games
• Shiphtur714
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 53m
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 53m
OSC
5h 53m
Replay Cast
5h 53m
OSC
18h 53m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 17h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.