• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:15
CEST 02:15
KST 09:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8129 users

Torchlight II - Page 32

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 30 31 32 33 34 95 Next
TeamLiquid Steam Group for Torchlight 2
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
September 20 2012 22:20 GMT
#621
On September 21 2012 07:08 Leth0 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 21 2012 07:04 TheYango wrote:
On September 21 2012 07:01 Leth0 wrote:
So your problem is , you want to make the "perfect" character (w/e that means to you) but you don't know what skills and stats the "perfect" character requires so you feel like you are going to "fuck yourself" by picking the "wrong" stats or skills.

TBH man this does not sound like the game for you. It sounds like a headache. I know if i had that kind of mindset, i would not be able to enjoy this type of game.

I'm not trying to make the perfect character, but I do wish there were enough transparency in the system so that I could be rewarded for planning ahead with my stat points as opposed to just winging it.

I'm sure that all the nitty-gritty details will all be researched and wiki-fied in 2 weeks. It just feels weird (and I guess kind of fresh and exciting) to be one of the early adopters playing before anyone knows anything about how everything works. I didn't play D2/LoD on release, so by the time I played, most of the stat formulae and breakpoints were all fairly well tabulated.


My response was directed at the one above my post, but as to your point I feel like seeing the tier perks helps out tremendously when planning ahead on what you are building towards.

Yeah I generally don't see a problem with skills, its just stats could be a little clearer.

Nothing a little experimentation won't figure out.
Moderator
Leth0
Profile Joined February 2012
856 Posts
September 20 2012 22:21 GMT
#622
On September 21 2012 07:20 TheYango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 21 2012 07:08 Leth0 wrote:
On September 21 2012 07:04 TheYango wrote:
On September 21 2012 07:01 Leth0 wrote:
So your problem is , you want to make the "perfect" character (w/e that means to you) but you don't know what skills and stats the "perfect" character requires so you feel like you are going to "fuck yourself" by picking the "wrong" stats or skills.

TBH man this does not sound like the game for you. It sounds like a headache. I know if i had that kind of mindset, i would not be able to enjoy this type of game.

I'm not trying to make the perfect character, but I do wish there were enough transparency in the system so that I could be rewarded for planning ahead with my stat points as opposed to just winging it.

I'm sure that all the nitty-gritty details will all be researched and wiki-fied in 2 weeks. It just feels weird (and I guess kind of fresh and exciting) to be one of the early adopters playing before anyone knows anything about how everything works. I didn't play D2/LoD on release, so by the time I played, most of the stat formulae and breakpoints were all fairly well tabulated.


My response was directed at the one above my post, but as to your point I feel like seeing the tier perks helps out tremendously when planning ahead on what you are building towards.

Yeah I generally don't see a problem with skills, its just stats could be a little clearer.

Nothing a little experimentation won't figure out.


Agreed.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
September 20 2012 22:30 GMT
#623
Hmm, so it's hard to be exactly sure given that the ranges are fairly low at the levels I was testing, but I think Strength actually does increase spell damage through Weapon DPS.

So that means that ignoring weapon stat requirements, the optimal stat mix for maximizing spell DPS includes a mix of all 3 stats. In practice, you'll favor your prime stat slightly (Focus in the case of Embermages) for the sake of gear requirements. For the other classes, you'll probably favor Strength/Dexterity over Focus, since not all your attacks will do elemental damage (and thus won't benefit fully from the Focus % elemental damage increase).
Moderator
Blitzkrieg0
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States13132 Posts
September 20 2012 22:33 GMT
#624
On September 21 2012 07:01 Leth0 wrote:
So your problem is , you want to make the "perfect" character (w/e that means to you) but you don't know what skills and stats the "perfect" character requires so you feel like you are going to "fuck yourself" by picking the "wrong" stats or skills.

TBH man this does not sound like the game for you. It sounds like a headache. I know if i had that kind of mindset, i would not be able to enjoy this type of game.

D3 sounds more fitting, no choices to worry about, nothing you can possibly do that would change the eventual outcome of the class you chose to pick. No consequences, no repercussions, if your into that sort of hand holding i guess.


I know I can't really fuck myself (unless torchlight 2 is substantially harder than 1), but I would like to achieve perfection on my first try. My real problem is that I don't want to invest a stat point every level in something to find out that it is completely useless (or skill). Like in the first torchlight you wouldn't realize how terrible the non-weapon dps skills were until you were much later on and they really started sucking. Considering the stat requirements compared to level requirement you need to go quite heavy to be able to use things before the level req so me splitting my stats might be bad, but there really is no way to be sure of that at this point.
I'll always be your shadow and veil your eyes from states of ain soph aur.
SnowyPsilocybin
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom265 Posts
September 20 2012 22:33 GMT
#625
Loving this game so far, although it might just be me doing something, but my pet is always dead (or fleeing whatever it says)
Witten
Profile Joined January 2011
United States2094 Posts
September 20 2012 22:33 GMT
#626
Welp, finally got it to work. Now to see if I can get an account. otherwise I guess I'll just roll single player.
Brood War Forever / NA's premiere Shadow Shaman player / Courier Collector / Bot Game Champion / Highly amateur Mystical Ninja Goemon Speedrunner
Blitzkrieg0
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States13132 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-20 23:22:33
September 20 2012 22:35 GMT
#627
On September 21 2012 07:30 TheYango wrote:
Hmm, so it's hard to be exactly sure given that the ranges are fairly low at the levels I was testing, but I think Strength actually does increase spell damage through Weapon DPS.

So that means that ignoring weapon stat requirements, the optimal stat mix for maximizing spell DPS includes a mix of all 3 stats. In practice, you'll favor your prime stat slightly (Focus in the case of Embermages) for the sake of gear requirements. For the other classes, you'll probably favor Strength/Dexterity over Focus, since not all your attacks will do elemental damage (and thus won't benefit fully from the Focus % elemental damage increase).


All item reqs seem to be level OR stat so that might not even be needed. Most of the stat reqs seem to be impossible to reach with a mixed build as well early on at least, although I'm not sure how that could change when I have substantial boosts from armor.

Alright I can use a bow a few levels early just because of stat on armor with only 1 point invested every level so...lol
I'll always be your shadow and veil your eyes from states of ain soph aur.
tymt
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden293 Posts
September 20 2012 22:42 GMT
#628
Anyone knows what to do if the character gets stuck? I got pushed in between a chest and a bush and can't move in any direction, waypoint portal does not work :/
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
September 20 2012 22:45 GMT
#629
On September 21 2012 07:01 Leth0 wrote:
So your problem is , you want to make the "perfect" character (w/e that means to you) but you don't know what skills and stats the "perfect" character requires so you feel like you are going to "fuck yourself" by picking the "wrong" stats or skills.

TBH man this does not sound like the game for you. It sounds like a headache. I know if i had that kind of mindset, i would not be able to enjoy this type of game.

D3 sounds more fitting, no choices to worry about, nothing you can possibly do that would change the eventual outcome of the class you chose to pick. No consequences, no repercussions, if your into that sort of hand holding i guess.


What you just said made the opposite of sense. The person you're replying to said they wanted to min/max and was unsure of how to do it. You say that's dumb. It's actually you that wants the, as you so pejoratively state, no consequences/no repercussions/"hand holding".

Not that I have a problem with either model, but you sound like one of those people that just calls anything they consider casual WoW-like without any knowledge of the game. I understand there's probably a lot of latent D3 hate in this thread, but you should at least keep your hate from becoming nonsensical.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
tymt
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden293 Posts
September 20 2012 22:51 GMT
#630
On September 21 2012 07:42 tymt wrote:
Anyone knows what to do if the character gets stuck? I got pushed in between a chest and a bush and can't move in any direction, waypoint portal does not work :/

NVM just spammed a few portals and I could reach the fifth!
EchelonTee
Profile Joined February 2011
United States5262 Posts
September 20 2012 23:02 GMT
#631
Has anyone gotten online multiplayer to work?
aka "neophyte". learn lots. dont judge. laugh for no reason. be nice. seek happiness. -D[9]
BurningSera
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Ireland19621 Posts
September 20 2012 23:11 GMT
#632
17stats and 5skill points unspent now lol

have to say i really really liking the game so far, all the minibosses are amazing. I am very pleased with my money spent on TL2.
is 2017, stop being lame, fuck's sakes. 'Can't wait for the rise of the cakes and humanity's last stand tbqh.'
Blitzkrieg0
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States13132 Posts
September 20 2012 23:23 GMT
#633
What do you guys think of the phase portals? I like how they're like mini game like challenges, but they seem so impossible Maybe it's just because I'm playing elite (or I suck), but I haven't been able to complete one yet sadly.
I'll always be your shadow and veil your eyes from states of ain soph aur.
semioldguy
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States7488 Posts
September 20 2012 23:32 GMT
#634
I am so jealous of all y'all right now. I am so backed up at work that I won't have any real time to play and explore this until Sunday. It's really encouraging (and torturous) to hear how much everyone is enjoying it though.
Moderator
ChunderBoy
Profile Joined August 2011
3242 Posts
September 20 2012 23:33 GMT
#635
Currently doing Elite-Hardcore with Outlander. 55 stats and 9 skill points unspent. I have no clue what to get...
"mmr is a social construct" - tumblr
Steveling
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Greece10806 Posts
September 20 2012 23:33 GMT
#636
On September 21 2012 08:02 EchelonTee wrote:
Has anyone gotten online multiplayer to work?


I never had a problem with it. But some do it seems.
Oh well, release day acting like a release day.

The stats are quite troublesome and cause me a lovely headache that I haven't experienced for many years.
I run a robo-engi with main weap a cannon(cannon blast as spam skill), so do I focus on str for pure dmg, focus for mp for my summons and spam skill's effectiveness, vitality for armor and health or dexterity for huge crits??
I feel kind of overwhelmed but I have missed that.

Torchlight 2 is an awesome game, too bad I'm off to bed. Laters.
My dick has shrunk to the point where it looks like I have 3 balls.
Witten
Profile Joined January 2011
United States2094 Posts
September 20 2012 23:33 GMT
#637
On September 21 2012 08:23 Blitzkrieg0 wrote:
What do you guys think of the phase portals? I like how they're like mini game like challenges, but they seem so impossible Maybe it's just because I'm playing elite (or I suck), but I haven't been able to complete one yet sadly.


I haven't reached these yet, which makes me very excited to keep playing this game :D. Enjoying it so far, wish I could be online but not too upset about it tbh.
Brood War Forever / NA's premiere Shadow Shaman player / Courier Collector / Bot Game Champion / Highly amateur Mystical Ninja Goemon Speedrunner
B.I.G.
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
3251 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-21 00:06:06
September 21 2012 00:01 GMT
#638
On September 21 2012 07:15 Yacobs wrote:
Anyone else having this problem?

The game runs perfectly fine, very smooth during the actual gameplay. However, whenever I open a UI element (such as the inventory window or whatever), it lags and the animation stutters as the gui element slides out. It also does the same thing when the window is sliding off the screen when I close it. As I said, nothing else about the game is suffering bad performance.

Any ideas? Also, I have a good computer that runs current AAA games no problem.

Putting it on windowed fullscreen fixed it for me..


On September 21 2012 08:33 ChunderBoy wrote:
Currently doing Elite-Hardcore with Outlander. 55 stats and 9 skill points unspent. I have no clue what to get...

Im getting good dmg with shotgun and dual pistol, so I'm spending most of my points on passives that improve those...
Artok
Profile Joined May 2011
Netherlands2219 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-21 00:10:41
September 21 2012 00:09 GMT
#639
Damn, this game is so good, atm rolling focus/dex double pistol outlander, never had so much fun in arpg since d2.

On September 21 2012 08:33 ChunderBoy wrote:
Currently doing Elite-Hardcore with Outlander. 55 stats and 9 skill points unspent. I have no clue what to get...


magic/physical damage hybrid felt like a way to go for me, there are a lot of viable builds tho.
Chun-li since ST
N3rV[Green]
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States1935 Posts
September 21 2012 00:22 GMT
#640
What happened to just playing a game? Why must we turn it into hyper competitive Starcraft style theorycrafting and min/maxing?

This game is 100% meant to be simply fun and semi mindless.

I'm honestly curious as to WHY people are so focused/adamant on "perfecting" their characters.
Never fear the darkness, Bran. The strongest trees are rooted in the dark places of the earth. Darkness will be your cloak, your shield, your mother's milk. Darkness will make you strong.
Prev 1 30 31 32 33 34 95 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings100
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O156
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 161
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 931
ZZZero.O 156
Bale 19
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm189
League of Legends
Doublelift4468
JimRising 704
Counter-Strike
minikerr13
Other Games
summit1g10251
FrodaN2831
C9.Mang0244
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1216
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP96
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 45m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
10h 45m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 45m
Replay Cast
22h 45m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 10h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.