• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:37
CEST 11:37
KST 18:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10469 users

What Are You Reading 2014 - Page 72

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 70 71 72 73 74 75 Next
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
December 09 2014 20:45 GMT
#1421
show-off
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
December 09 2014 21:28 GMT
#1422
I think I'd much prefer to read it in English. If I were to read it in Chinese it would be driven by necessity :'(

Not high on my to-read list in any case.
TranslatorBaa!
MtlGuitarist97
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1539 Posts
December 09 2014 22:10 GMT
#1423
On December 09 2014 07:03 dmnum wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 09 2014 06:40 MtlGuitarist97 wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good book to read in Spanish for an American high school student? I'd like to try and read a book in Spanish to try and improve my abilities to read, write, and speak the language, and I feel completely lost. I have a basic conversational level of understanding (not quite as terrible as you'd expect from an American, but I'm far from fluent), and I plan on reading the book with a dictionary, or Google Translate, next to me at all times. It doesn't need to be particularly deep or thought provoking, but as long as it's somewhat interesting and not *too* complex I'd be open to reading it.

I'll read anything, but it may be simpler if it's not really complex science fiction or some complicated philosophical work. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

One Hundred Years of Solitude, Love in the Time of Cholera, anything by J.L. Borges(you may stumble upon some philosophical terms, but his writing isn't very complex; plus, he only wrote short stories), short stories by Cortázar(he's the hardest to read out of all three authors, but he's nowhere near complex on a grammar level).

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully my Spanish isn't too awful to read these, and I think it will definitely be an interesting experience to attempt to read something in another language.
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-12-09 23:57:30
December 09 2014 23:54 GMT
#1424
On December 10 2014 06:28 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
I think I'd much prefer to read it in English. If I were to read it in Chinese it would be driven by necessity :'(

Not high on my to-read list in any case.

How long have you been studying Chinese? Any books you'd recommend? I'd like to learn it after my french is good enough for reading literature.

MtlGuitarist97 I have and advantage because Portuguese and Spanish are very similar but none of those books seemed to difficult in the original. Have fun, Spanish is awesome.
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
December 10 2014 00:29 GMT
#1425
I'm Chinese it's my first language ORZ
TranslatorBaa!
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
December 10 2014 03:07 GMT
#1426
on the topic of translations, has anyone who has both read German and English translations of Russian literature an opinion on which he liked better?
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
December 10 2014 12:14 GMT
#1427
On December 10 2014 09:29 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
I'm Chinese it's my first language ORZ

I thought you were 'murican.
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-12-11 16:39:15
December 11 2014 16:39 GMT
#1428
Anyone find it odd that the Brits are always writing about this man:

[image loading]
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
December 11 2014 16:46 GMT
#1429
Doesn't seem odd to me, but I'm an American, what the hell do I know.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
December 11 2014 16:49 GMT
#1430
On December 12 2014 01:39 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Anyone find it odd that the Brits are always writing about this man:


Gotta relive past glories somehow~
TranslatorBaa!
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
December 11 2014 16:53 GMT
#1431
French do too, but I think there are more interesting things to read about.
War an Peace is pretty great btw, not Anna Karenina, but still
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
December 11 2014 16:56 GMT
#1432
In keeping with that vein, does anybody know of any fiction that deals with the War of the Spanish Succession?
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Surth
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Germany456 Posts
December 12 2014 16:29 GMT
#1433
Anyone can think of a well-written, half-way comprehensive history of anything (latin america, europe, asia, whatever)?
i believe your actions dishonour Starcraft 2 LotV cybersport!
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
December 12 2014 16:40 GMT
#1434
"The Middle East : A Brief history of the last 2000 years" by Bernhard Lewis is a pretty nice overview over Middle-Eastern history.
bookwyrm
Profile Joined March 2014
United States722 Posts
December 12 2014 21:38 GMT
#1435
Fernand braudel - the mediterranean and the mediterranean world in the age of philip the second :D
si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil
Surth
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Germany456 Posts
December 13 2014 21:48 GMT
#1436
Man, here's me having read DeLanda and his constant mentioning of Braudel in 1,000 years and yet I totally forget him. Thanks bookwyrmizdat!


Reading Libra by Pynchon right now -- I'll gift it to my brother for aksmas and I want to finish it before :D
i believe your actions dishonour Starcraft 2 LotV cybersport!
bookwyrm
Profile Joined March 2014
United States722 Posts
December 14 2014 03:16 GMT
#1437
[image loading]
si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
December 14 2014 07:05 GMT
#1438
Finished The Song of Achilles on a flight. Author said she spent ten years writing it. I can believe it; very well-written, amazing use of word palettes. Iliad purists might not like how she told the story, but then again, it's not supposed to be a retelling of the Iliad. I can quibble with some minor choices (mostly to do with Patroclus), but I was pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of the writing and the story.

Now reading Hawk by Steven Brust, which is amazing so far as per usual.
Surth
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Germany456 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-12-14 16:51:21
December 14 2014 16:48 GMT
#1439
Btw bookywYYYrm (or others in this thread?), whats up with Speculative Realism? I only read De Landa and I think he's pretty sensible, but a month later my brother sent me this https://www.textezurkunst.de/93/speculative-end-aesthetic-regime/ and I'm thinking WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE PEOPLE SMOKING? (cigarettes!?)

I feel like DeLanda is really just continuing the work of Nietzsche (under the guise of Deleuze, of course) of providing science with the tools that are necessary in a world where the death of transcendental god entails perspectivicism and, as such, the genealogy as supreme method of science (hence 1,000 years of non-linear history). When I read that text linked above, by contrast, all I was reminded of was blatant obscurantism. "This is not only not right -- it's not even wrong!" Is e.g. Cyclonopedia by Reza Negarestani a real text or are these people just stuck up their own asses?


PS: http://gaas2015.com/workshops-2/workshop-2/ this is happening at my university, its too bad I won't be in Bonn by then anymore or I'd totally write them a paper proposal
i believe your actions dishonour Starcraft 2 LotV cybersport!
bookwyrm
Profile Joined March 2014
United States722 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-12-14 19:22:22
December 14 2014 18:56 GMT
#1440
I dont know if there is such a thing as speculative realism. I think its. Just a thing for people to talk about on blogs. I think delanda would think of himself as just a deleuzian... I read a book by quentin miellassioux but it wasnt that interesting. The object oriented ontology people are very silly and also the actor network theory people, I dont think they have anything to say beyond sophisms

the best thing to do with academic theory fashions is to ignore them IMO. The academy is full of people recycling old thoughts dressed up in neologisms trying to get people to notice them.

I guess I have no use for 'new materialisms' because im STILL a materialist. The only good thing to say is that people seem to be a little less satisfied with linguistic idealism, but the solution to that is just to go be a marxist...

but I dont really know , my department is in a 90s time warp zones so they only do identity politics type theory, nobody talks about speculative realism anyway
si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil
Prev 1 70 71 72 73 74 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 23m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 6686
Horang2 548
Hyuk 428
BeSt 378
Stork 127
Killer 117
sorry 85
Hyun 82
ggaemo 79
Shinee 74
[ Show more ]
Bonyth 53
Pusan 43
Snow 42
Hm[arnc] 40
Bale 33
JYJ 24
Noble 8
League of Legends
JimRising 530
Other Games
gofns37625
singsing1887
Mew2King77
ArmadaUGS60
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick605
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream135
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 52
• Adnapsc2 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2319
League of Legends
• Lourlo1423
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23m
INu's Battles
2h 23m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
5h 23m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 23m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 23m
Replay Cast
13h 23m
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 1h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.