• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:32
CEST 21:32
KST 04:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8987 users

Hip Hop / Rap Music Discussion - Page 24

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 68 Next
Soulstice
Profile Joined December 2011
United States288 Posts
July 10 2013 20:54 GMT
#461
On July 10 2013 14:26 Meth wrote:
Check out Labtekwon you hip hop fans that ain't heard will enjoy, heads that know will +1 this... Many more to mention but my phones dying!

Keep it real, no bubblegum!

Good shit man, really digging this guy. I really wish i could find a somewhere to get his albums by...well lets just say frugal means
Living the liefe
Pandemona *
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Charlie Sheens House51493 Posts
July 10 2013 21:12 GMT
#462
On July 11 2013 05:43 Dali. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2013 22:56 Pandemona wrote:
Is that in production btw ? WTT 2? Would be fucking sick city if they did that.


http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/201743/mike-dean-hints-at-watch-the-throne-2-on-twitter/

Seems pretty likely. I'm pumped.


GG NO RE :o
ModeratorTeam Liquid Football Thread Guru! - Chelsea FC ♥
Juliette
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States6003 Posts
July 10 2013 22:24 GMT
#463
yeah i largely agree with you guys about MCHG. def not his best, but it wasnt terrible.

very good production/overall sound direction/features, but jay z had a lot of verses that weren't that good. It's definitely not an album that you listen to once and forget about, but it's not a classic.

for his 12th album its not bad.
OKAY FROM THAT PERSPECTIVE I SEE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT
jamssi
Profile Joined January 2011
Finland36 Posts
July 11 2013 15:22 GMT
#464
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
July 11 2013 19:01 GMT
#465
On July 11 2013 07:24 Juliette wrote:
yeah i largely agree with you guys about MCHG. def not his best, but it wasnt terrible.

very good production/overall sound direction/features, but jay z had a lot of verses that weren't that good. It's definitely not an album that you listen to once and forget about, but it's not a classic.

for his 12th album its not bad.

I can't get over him trying to posture himself as being anti-establishment when he is basically the Wal-mart of Hip-Hop. Jay-Z is basically the guy that tells other artists that they can't put shit on their records cause it isn't radio friendly enough. It's a joke. He sold a million copies to Samsung to make some spyware app and then talks on and on about how he needs to write the new rules for the internet like he's the king of the youth? MCHG is pathetic.
RIP Aaliyah
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
July 11 2013 19:02 GMT
#466


the banana clip in this video makes me laugh even though it's terrifying
RIP Aaliyah
Juliette
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States6003 Posts
July 11 2013 21:09 GMT
#467
On July 12 2013 04:01 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 11 2013 07:24 Juliette wrote:
yeah i largely agree with you guys about MCHG. def not his best, but it wasnt terrible.

very good production/overall sound direction/features, but jay z had a lot of verses that weren't that good. It's definitely not an album that you listen to once and forget about, but it's not a classic.

for his 12th album its not bad.

I can't get over him trying to posture himself as being anti-establishment when he is basically the Wal-mart of Hip-Hop. Jay-Z is basically the guy that tells other artists that they can't put shit on their records cause it isn't radio friendly enough. It's a joke. He sold a million copies to Samsung to make some spyware app and then talks on and on about how he needs to write the new rules for the internet like he's the king of the youth? MCHG is pathetic.

i havent listened to it enough to comment on that (what he talks about) :p. for me, i enjoy it aesthetically, and on the surface. but his subject matter either hasn't caught my attention enough or is negligible.

but i get what you mean
OKAY FROM THAT PERSPECTIVE I SEE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
July 11 2013 21:17 GMT
#468
dunno if anyone has read this but here is a really cool breakdown of the flow/rhymeschemes on good kid maad city and a very well argued case for kendrick being one of the best mc's (if not the best) in the game right now:
http://www.rapanalysis.com/2012/11/rap-music-analysis-14-kendrick-lamar.html
RIP Aaliyah
Juliette
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States6003 Posts
July 11 2013 21:47 GMT
#469
holy shit thats the kind of stuff i love.

OKAY FROM THAT PERSPECTIVE I SEE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT
Eufouria
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United Kingdom4425 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 22:30:28
July 11 2013 22:25 GMT
#470
That's really cool DoctorHelvetica, I'm glad they mentioned his storytelling ability in the end. I think Kendrick's story telling is what really sets him apart, his flow is great but there are so few rappers that paint/painted a picture as well as he does.

And I'm inspired to listen through GKMC for the 8 millionth time now.

edit: And as I go through it I have to say that Jay Rock's verse on Money Trees is so sick, he's my least favourite member of Black Hippy but I guess he knew he had to up his game for Kendrick's album.
kmpisces
Profile Joined July 2013
United States50 Posts
July 11 2013 23:10 GMT
#471
I am going to have to listen to some of his work. I have not really heard much of him. I am not one to usually listen to rap. But from time to time a rap song does catch my attention. There has been some good music shared in this thread. I do like hip hop a little as well. I do not like music about violence but do like music that tells stories that are really about real life.
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 23:34:02
July 11 2013 23:26 GMT
#472
Here's a playlist of Kendrick with a different song I picked to show off each of his many many many strengths:

1. Breath Control


2. Storytelling Ability


3. Smoothness

(i also nominate P&P 1.5)

4. Technical Rap/Freestyle



My top 3 favorite Kendrick tracks tho are mAAd City, Cartoon and Cereal and maybe Hol'up or The Recipe. He's been dope for a long time, even when he was a young'un in TDE and hadn't quite come into his own he's technically/lyrically on point:


It's also funny as hell to see Schoolboy Q so skinny

RIP Aaliyah
Eufouria
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United Kingdom4425 Posts
July 12 2013 00:32 GMT
#473
Dope since at least '08

DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
July 12 2013 03:25 GMT
#474
i recognize some of those lines too, interesting to see shit from section 80 and gkmc coming out in freestyles from that long ago
RIP Aaliyah
elfonse
Profile Joined March 2011
416 Posts
July 12 2013 07:40 GMT
#475
Elight Grey Crow
Zinnwaldite
Profile Joined August 2010
Norway1567 Posts
July 12 2013 08:13 GMT
#476
We promise with a view to hope, but the reason to "accomplish" what we promised would be fear.
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
July 12 2013 10:19 GMT
#477
Yesterday I saw KRS One live. It was pretty good, better than I had expected to be honest. I'm not that big of a KRS One fan, but when the concert is so close to where you live that you can walk there in 3 minutes you just fucking go there. The Mobb Deep (Havoc) concert was better tho, even tho Prodigy's probationer doesn't allow him to travel Europe. That's why they cancelled the entire Europe tour, but Havoc still came to Vienna, because I think we were to first to see them. He totally made up for it, there were no regrets after that concert. In fact, you were almost glad Prodigy didn't show up, because just Havoc alone was already so incredibly good I think both of 'em would have literally blown my mind. Can't wait to see Kendrick live.

That said, .22 slug to your head. I wrote a battle rap the day I got banned. Just for the hell of it cuz I was bored, no hard feelings here. I'll post it when the page clears, because people still think it's a good idea to spam 50 videos per post.
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
July 12 2013 10:35 GMT
#478
On July 12 2013 04:01 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 11 2013 07:24 Juliette wrote:
yeah i largely agree with you guys about MCHG. def not his best, but it wasnt terrible.

very good production/overall sound direction/features, but jay z had a lot of verses that weren't that good. It's definitely not an album that you listen to once and forget about, but it's not a classic.

for his 12th album its not bad.

I can't get over him trying to posture himself as being anti-establishment when he is basically the Wal-mart of Hip-Hop. Jay-Z is basically the guy that tells other artists that they can't put shit on their records cause it isn't radio friendly enough. It's a joke. He sold a million copies to Samsung to make some spyware app and then talks on and on about how he needs to write the new rules for the internet like he's the king of the youth? MCHG is pathetic.

I think it's cuz anti-establishment is what's mainstream right now; he's just trying to tap into the zeitgeist.
liftlift > tsm
MassHysteria
Profile Joined October 2010
United States3678 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-12 17:53:57
July 12 2013 16:38 GMT
#479
That was a good review on whoever posted that on Kendrick Lamar. MAAD City is the first modern hip-hop album I have listened to in probably 4/5 years. Really good.

Actually, I lie(!), I heard the new Kanye one a few times about 3 weeks ago to come and post about it on here but I lost my post and then gave it up. But the album sounded like a cross between Daft Punk's Homework and Portishead to me (I like both groups, and I know Kanye does too). I enjoyed most of it, even if his lyrics left a lot to be desired. If this is a one of a kind album of his --as in he never makes another album like this one again-- I think it might be regarded as better.


And I realize I posted the wrong song a few pages ago when I was trying to show Thes One NY-influenced production. 'The Breakdown' at first sounds like an Illmatic song but this beat can seriously bring a tear to my eye.
+ Show Spoiler +


I def always feel it down my spine =P...They don't have progressive lyrics, so if you are into lyrics more than anything, they might not be for you. But if you are a beatsmith into old-school (non-computer), jazzy, soul, and funk samples and detailed production, then dam this guys are sick, specially on O.S.T - 2002 (one of my fav albums). Sort of like a newer A Tribe Called Quest or Pharcyde in that sense; they might have one the biggest vinyl collections in LA.


edit:I'm a bangerr, the kind you keep in your disc changer...(haha)
"Just ban all the J's...even jinklejoes" --unnamed source
Bibbit
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada5377 Posts
July 12 2013 22:22 GMT
#480
Just finally checked out Kendrick since he's been so hyped and holy shit I dont think I've ever been more disappointed musically. Admittedly I got off to a bad start with Maad City and Backseat Freestyle (?) which I didn't like at all but the next few were better. Still, it's not for me.
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 68 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 4
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason58
BRAT_OK 53
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 22309
Mini 376
Dewaltoss 148
Hyuk 146
firebathero 115
ggaemo 83
ZZZero.O 69
Terrorterran 1
Dota 2
Gorgc7686
febbydoto20
League of Legends
Doublelift889
Counter-Strike
fl0m1035
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4271
Khaldor1445
crisheroes1070
Liquid`Hasu791
Other Games
summit1g2598
FrodaN2379
Beastyqt789
mouzStarbuck355
KnowMe320
ArmadaUGS124
Mew2King58
Trikslyr36
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1103
BasetradeTV161
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 20 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 106
• StrangeGG 42
• Adnapsc2 23
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 47
• 80smullet 19
• Azhi_Dahaki8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8075
• WagamamaTV442
Other Games
• imaqtpie823
• Shiphtur266
• tFFMrPink 16
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
14h 29m
INu's Battles
16h 29m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
19h 29m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
23h 29m
BSL Open Qualifier
23h 29m
Replay Cast
1d 3h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 14h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 15h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 20h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
6 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.