• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:38
CEST 03:38
KST 10:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7898 users

Hip Hop / Rap Music Discussion - Page 25

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 27 68 Next
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-12 22:37:28
July 12 2013 22:35 GMT
#481
Really? I think mAAd City is my favorite Kendrick song. You need to listen to GKMC front to back because it's a concept album. For example, Backseat Freestyle out of context is an extremely obnoxious brag freestyle. No depth, shallow to the very core.

In the context of GKMC, Backseat Freestyle takes place after a 15 year old Kendrick is convinced to steal his moms van by his friends. The following song "The Art of Peer Pressure" describes his conflicting feelings about the trouble his friends put him in and his real passions (the conflict between the "good kid" kendrick and the mad city trying to draw him into a life of drugs and violence).

I still think it's an album that works a lot better if you can personally relate to it. I grew up in similar situations, never quite feeling the same pressure Kendrick did (being white, no one wanted me to join a gang or anything like that) but definitely had many friends in the same situation.

Edit - Actually I think he stole his moms van so he could go fuck a hoodrat he met at a party, his friends decided to tag along. A good portion of the album is self critical, a song like Swimming Pools seems like a club banger about having fun with liquor on the surface but in the lyrics and even more so in the context of the album is an indictment of how alcohol destroys lives.
RIP Aaliyah
andyrau
Profile Joined December 2010
13015 Posts
July 12 2013 22:38 GMT
#482
On July 12 2013 06:17 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
dunno if anyone has read this but here is a really cool breakdown of the flow/rhymeschemes on good kid maad city and a very well argued case for kendrick being one of the best mc's (if not the best) in the game right now:
http://www.rapanalysis.com/2012/11/rap-music-analysis-14-kendrick-lamar.html

lol this is hilarious
the suburban white kid clinical approach to hip hop

On July 13 2013 07:22 Bibbit wrote:
Just finally checked out Kendrick since he's been so hyped and holy shit I dont think I've ever been more disappointed musically. Admittedly I got off to a bad start with Maad City and Backseat Freestyle (?) which I didn't like at all but the next few were better. Still, it's not for me.

??? lmao why in the world would you listen to singles off an album and proceed to judge the rest of his work on that basis
"Zai is legitimately not as good as bulba." | kaipi ti3 champions
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
July 12 2013 22:40 GMT
#483
On July 13 2013 07:38 andyrau wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:17 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
dunno if anyone has read this but here is a really cool breakdown of the flow/rhymeschemes on good kid maad city and a very well argued case for kendrick being one of the best mc's (if not the best) in the game right now:
http://www.rapanalysis.com/2012/11/rap-music-analysis-14-kendrick-lamar.html

lol this is hilarious
the suburban white kid clinical approach to hip hop

Show nested quote +
On July 13 2013 07:22 Bibbit wrote:
Just finally checked out Kendrick since he's been so hyped and holy shit I dont think I've ever been more disappointed musically. Admittedly I got off to a bad start with Maad City and Backseat Freestyle (?) which I didn't like at all but the next few were better. Still, it's not for me.

??? lmao why in the world would you listen to singles off an album and proceed to judge the rest of his work on that basis


rapgenius is the suburban white kid approach to hip-hop, there's nothing "white" about music theory. do you think guys like kendrick, nas, tupac, etc. never studied music or think about things like phrasing, bars, rhyme schemes, etc.? they absolutely do. Eminem is a rapper consistently praised by other rappers for the exact (word for word) same reasons this guy goes over in his blog. Multisyllables, complex and unorthodox rhyme schemes, phrasing, etc.
RIP Aaliyah
Bibbit
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada5377 Posts
July 12 2013 22:45 GMT
#484
On July 13 2013 07:38 andyrau wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:17 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
dunno if anyone has read this but here is a really cool breakdown of the flow/rhymeschemes on good kid maad city and a very well argued case for kendrick being one of the best mc's (if not the best) in the game right now:
http://www.rapanalysis.com/2012/11/rap-music-analysis-14-kendrick-lamar.html

lol this is hilarious
the suburban white kid clinical approach to hip hop

Show nested quote +
On July 13 2013 07:22 Bibbit wrote:
Just finally checked out Kendrick since he's been so hyped and holy shit I dont think I've ever been more disappointed musically. Admittedly I got off to a bad start with Maad City and Backseat Freestyle (?) which I didn't like at all but the next few were better. Still, it's not for me.

??? lmao why in the world would you listen to singles off an album and proceed to judge the rest of his work on that basis

Because "just listen[ing] to singles off an album" is how most music is initially judged?

That said I was unaware it was a concept album. I'll give it a listen front-to-back when I have some time. Thanks DoctorHelvetica
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-12 22:48:08
July 12 2013 22:46 GMT
#485
Just know that the second half is probably better for white people

maad city is the climax of that album though, what didn't you like about that track?
RIP Aaliyah
DystopiaX
Profile Joined October 2010
United States16236 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-12 22:56:39
July 12 2013 22:55 GMT
#486
On July 13 2013 07:35 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Really? I think mAAd City is my favorite Kendrick song. You need to listen to GKMC front to back because it's a concept album. For example, Backseat Freestyle out of context is an extremely obnoxious brag freestyle. No depth, shallow to the very core.

In the context of GKMC, Backseat Freestyle takes place after a 15 year old Kendrick is convinced to steal his moms van by his friends. The following song "The Art of Peer Pressure" describes his conflicting feelings about the trouble his friends put him in and his real passions (the conflict between the "good kid" kendrick and the mad city trying to draw him into a life of drugs and violence).

I still think it's an album that works a lot better if you can personally relate to it. I grew up in similar situations, never quite feeling the same pressure Kendrick did (being white, no one wanted me to join a gang or anything like that) but definitely had many friends in the same situation.

Edit - Actually I think he stole his moms van so he could go fuck a hoodrat he met at a party, his friends decided to tag along. A good portion of the album is self critical, a song like Swimming Pools seems like a club banger about having fun with liquor on the surface but in the lyrics and even more so in the context of the album is an indictment of how alcohol destroys lives.

Context is slightly inaccurate, he steals the van after Backseat Freestyle in order to go visit Sherane (album takes place out of order, the voicemail at the end of backseat/before peer pressure mentions dropping kendrick off at his mom's van so he can "fuck with Sherane") His friends don't tag along, they meet up later, after Kendrick gets jumped. But yeah, your point still stands, I think the album is a lot better listened to front to back.
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
July 12 2013 23:01 GMT
#487
That's right, cause they were in the white toyota first
RIP Aaliyah
andyrau
Profile Joined December 2010
13015 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-12 23:14:49
July 12 2013 23:14 GMT
#488
On July 13 2013 07:40 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 13 2013 07:38 andyrau wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:17 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
dunno if anyone has read this but here is a really cool breakdown of the flow/rhymeschemes on good kid maad city and a very well argued case for kendrick being one of the best mc's (if not the best) in the game right now:
http://www.rapanalysis.com/2012/11/rap-music-analysis-14-kendrick-lamar.html

lol this is hilarious
the suburban white kid clinical approach to hip hop

On July 13 2013 07:22 Bibbit wrote:
Just finally checked out Kendrick since he's been so hyped and holy shit I dont think I've ever been more disappointed musically. Admittedly I got off to a bad start with Maad City and Backseat Freestyle (?) which I didn't like at all but the next few were better. Still, it's not for me.

??? lmao why in the world would you listen to singles off an album and proceed to judge the rest of his work on that basis


rapgenius is the suburban white kid approach to hip-hop, there's nothing "white" about music theory. do you think guys like kendrick, nas, tupac, etc. never studied music or think about things like phrasing, bars, rhyme schemes, etc.? they absolutely do. Eminem is a rapper consistently praised by other rappers for the exact (word for word) same reasons this guy goes over in his blog. Multisyllables, complex and unorthodox rhyme schemes, phrasing, etc.

they [the websites] both are, really
I'm not hating on it for being retarded or wrong, I just think it's hilarious when I conjur a mental image of Dre or Em mentoring kdot - the three of them in a studio poring over scores and suggesting that he should lead his anacrusis into a syncopated sixteenth quintuplet with multisyllable phrases and alternating internal rhyme schemes.
????
point is, there's certainly quite the disconnect between the music and the theory behind it, especially in this genre.
"Zai is legitimately not as good as bulba." | kaipi ti3 champions
Bibbit
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada5377 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-12 23:36:44
July 12 2013 23:28 GMT
#489
On July 13 2013 07:46 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Just know that the second half is probably better for white people

maad city is the climax of that album though, what didn't you like about that track?

I'm not so into the "thug" stuff in general. If I'm being quite honest, I really can't relate at all which probably puts a damper on it.

edit: Also I found his voice kind of annoying. Admittedly that's one of the less important things in hip hop, generally.
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
July 12 2013 23:36 GMT
#490
On July 13 2013 08:14 andyrau wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 13 2013 07:40 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
On July 13 2013 07:38 andyrau wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:17 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
dunno if anyone has read this but here is a really cool breakdown of the flow/rhymeschemes on good kid maad city and a very well argued case for kendrick being one of the best mc's (if not the best) in the game right now:
http://www.rapanalysis.com/2012/11/rap-music-analysis-14-kendrick-lamar.html

lol this is hilarious
the suburban white kid clinical approach to hip hop

On July 13 2013 07:22 Bibbit wrote:
Just finally checked out Kendrick since he's been so hyped and holy shit I dont think I've ever been more disappointed musically. Admittedly I got off to a bad start with Maad City and Backseat Freestyle (?) which I didn't like at all but the next few were better. Still, it's not for me.

??? lmao why in the world would you listen to singles off an album and proceed to judge the rest of his work on that basis


rapgenius is the suburban white kid approach to hip-hop, there's nothing "white" about music theory. do you think guys like kendrick, nas, tupac, etc. never studied music or think about things like phrasing, bars, rhyme schemes, etc.? they absolutely do. Eminem is a rapper consistently praised by other rappers for the exact (word for word) same reasons this guy goes over in his blog. Multisyllables, complex and unorthodox rhyme schemes, phrasing, etc.

they [the websites] both are, really
I'm not hating on it for being retarded or wrong, I just think it's hilarious when I conjur a mental image of Dre or Em mentoring kdot - the three of them in a studio poring over scores and suggesting that he should lead his anacrusis into a syncopated sixteenth quintuplet with multisyllable phrases and alternating internal rhyme schemes.
????
point is, there's certainly quite the disconnect between the music and the theory behind it, especially in this genre.

Yeah, that is a hilarious idea but Kendrick definitely has a grasp on concepts like that beyond most rappers, even if it's instinctual for him. When you study music theory (which I have) it's hard to turn that part of your brain off listening to shit you know? My best friend is a film major and he basically can't talk about movies like a normal person at all cause he deconstructs everything so much.

On July 13 2013 08:28 Bibbit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 13 2013 07:46 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Just know that the second half is probably better for white people

maad city is the climax of that album though, what didn't you like about that track?

I'm not so into the "thug" stuff in general. If I'm being quite honest, I really can't relate at all which probably puts a damper on it.


Kendrick ain't a thug nor does he brag about it. Don't look at it as glorification of a lifestyle, look at it as storytelling. Kendrick is describing his environment and the lifestyles of those around him and he does it in a pretty direct way. When he talks about himself he's talking about his unease with it and his desperation to escape that life.

If "maad city" came off as "thug" stuff to you, you didn't read the lyrics or it just went over your head tbh I mean the last verse is not subtle at all
RIP Aaliyah
Bibbit
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada5377 Posts
July 12 2013 23:39 GMT
#491
On July 13 2013 08:36 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 13 2013 08:14 andyrau wrote:
On July 13 2013 07:40 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
On July 13 2013 07:38 andyrau wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:17 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
dunno if anyone has read this but here is a really cool breakdown of the flow/rhymeschemes on good kid maad city and a very well argued case for kendrick being one of the best mc's (if not the best) in the game right now:
http://www.rapanalysis.com/2012/11/rap-music-analysis-14-kendrick-lamar.html

lol this is hilarious
the suburban white kid clinical approach to hip hop

On July 13 2013 07:22 Bibbit wrote:
Just finally checked out Kendrick since he's been so hyped and holy shit I dont think I've ever been more disappointed musically. Admittedly I got off to a bad start with Maad City and Backseat Freestyle (?) which I didn't like at all but the next few were better. Still, it's not for me.

??? lmao why in the world would you listen to singles off an album and proceed to judge the rest of his work on that basis


rapgenius is the suburban white kid approach to hip-hop, there's nothing "white" about music theory. do you think guys like kendrick, nas, tupac, etc. never studied music or think about things like phrasing, bars, rhyme schemes, etc.? they absolutely do. Eminem is a rapper consistently praised by other rappers for the exact (word for word) same reasons this guy goes over in his blog. Multisyllables, complex and unorthodox rhyme schemes, phrasing, etc.

they [the websites] both are, really
I'm not hating on it for being retarded or wrong, I just think it's hilarious when I conjur a mental image of Dre or Em mentoring kdot - the three of them in a studio poring over scores and suggesting that he should lead his anacrusis into a syncopated sixteenth quintuplet with multisyllable phrases and alternating internal rhyme schemes.
????
point is, there's certainly quite the disconnect between the music and the theory behind it, especially in this genre.

Yeah, that is a hilarious idea but Kendrick definitely has a grasp on concepts like that beyond most rappers, even if it's instinctual for him. When you study music theory (which I have) it's hard to turn that part of your brain off listening to shit you know? My best friend is a film major and he basically can't talk about movies like a normal person at all cause he deconstructs everything so much.

Show nested quote +
On July 13 2013 08:28 Bibbit wrote:
On July 13 2013 07:46 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Just know that the second half is probably better for white people

maad city is the climax of that album though, what didn't you like about that track?

I'm not so into the "thug" stuff in general. If I'm being quite honest, I really can't relate at all which probably puts a damper on it.


Kendrick ain't a thug nor does he brag about it. Don't look at it as glorification of a lifestyle, look at it as storytelling. Kendrick is describing his environment and the lifestyles of those around him and he does it in a pretty direct way. When he talks about himself he's talking about his unease with it and his desperation to escape that life.

If "maad city" came off as "thug" stuff to you, you didn't read the lyrics or it just went over your head tbh I mean the last verse is not subtle at all

I mean, I get it but I absolutely can't relate which really hurts the story. You said you can relate, perhaps you can't relate to how not being able to relate to a narrative makes it less powerful to you. Apologies for that ridiculous sentence but hopefully you see what I mean.
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
July 12 2013 23:41 GMT
#492
https://soundcloud.com/lil_jon/the-fun-boys-ft-lil-jon-and

this is amazing lil jon and the fun boys made a song out of a sample of kanye yelling at paparazzi
RIP Aaliyah
Eufouria
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United Kingdom4425 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-13 02:38:43
July 13 2013 02:37 GMT
#493
On July 13 2013 08:36 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 13 2013 08:14 andyrau wrote:
On July 13 2013 07:40 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
On July 13 2013 07:38 andyrau wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:17 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
dunno if anyone has read this but here is a really cool breakdown of the flow/rhymeschemes on good kid maad city and a very well argued case for kendrick being one of the best mc's (if not the best) in the game right now:
http://www.rapanalysis.com/2012/11/rap-music-analysis-14-kendrick-lamar.html

lol this is hilarious
the suburban white kid clinical approach to hip hop

On July 13 2013 07:22 Bibbit wrote:
Just finally checked out Kendrick since he's been so hyped and holy shit I dont think I've ever been more disappointed musically. Admittedly I got off to a bad start with Maad City and Backseat Freestyle (?) which I didn't like at all but the next few were better. Still, it's not for me.

??? lmao why in the world would you listen to singles off an album and proceed to judge the rest of his work on that basis


rapgenius is the suburban white kid approach to hip-hop, there's nothing "white" about music theory. do you think guys like kendrick, nas, tupac, etc. never studied music or think about things like phrasing, bars, rhyme schemes, etc.? they absolutely do. Eminem is a rapper consistently praised by other rappers for the exact (word for word) same reasons this guy goes over in his blog. Multisyllables, complex and unorthodox rhyme schemes, phrasing, etc.

they [the websites] both are, really
I'm not hating on it for being retarded or wrong, I just think it's hilarious when I conjur a mental image of Dre or Em mentoring kdot - the three of them in a studio poring over scores and suggesting that he should lead his anacrusis into a syncopated sixteenth quintuplet with multisyllable phrases and alternating internal rhyme schemes.
????
point is, there's certainly quite the disconnect between the music and the theory behind it, especially in this genre.

Yeah, that is a hilarious idea but Kendrick definitely has a grasp on concepts like that beyond most rappers, even if it's instinctual for him. When you study music theory (which I have) it's hard to turn that part of your brain off listening to shit you know? My best friend is a film major and he basically can't talk about movies like a normal person at all cause he deconstructs everything so much.

Haha I definetly know what you mean, I study maths and when I was watching the Wimbledon final I spent so much time thinking about how the players were both using their challenges pretty optimally that I couldn't really just enjoy the tennis.

On July 13 2013 08:39 Bibbit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 13 2013 08:36 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
On July 13 2013 08:14 andyrau wrote:
On July 13 2013 07:40 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
On July 13 2013 07:38 andyrau wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:17 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
dunno if anyone has read this but here is a really cool breakdown of the flow/rhymeschemes on good kid maad city and a very well argued case for kendrick being one of the best mc's (if not the best) in the game right now:
http://www.rapanalysis.com/2012/11/rap-music-analysis-14-kendrick-lamar.html

lol this is hilarious
the suburban white kid clinical approach to hip hop

On July 13 2013 07:22 Bibbit wrote:
Just finally checked out Kendrick since he's been so hyped and holy shit I dont think I've ever been more disappointed musically. Admittedly I got off to a bad start with Maad City and Backseat Freestyle (?) which I didn't like at all but the next few were better. Still, it's not for me.

??? lmao why in the world would you listen to singles off an album and proceed to judge the rest of his work on that basis


rapgenius is the suburban white kid approach to hip-hop, there's nothing "white" about music theory. do you think guys like kendrick, nas, tupac, etc. never studied music or think about things like phrasing, bars, rhyme schemes, etc.? they absolutely do. Eminem is a rapper consistently praised by other rappers for the exact (word for word) same reasons this guy goes over in his blog. Multisyllables, complex and unorthodox rhyme schemes, phrasing, etc.

they [the websites] both are, really
I'm not hating on it for being retarded or wrong, I just think it's hilarious when I conjur a mental image of Dre or Em mentoring kdot - the three of them in a studio poring over scores and suggesting that he should lead his anacrusis into a syncopated sixteenth quintuplet with multisyllable phrases and alternating internal rhyme schemes.
????
point is, there's certainly quite the disconnect between the music and the theory behind it, especially in this genre.

Yeah, that is a hilarious idea but Kendrick definitely has a grasp on concepts like that beyond most rappers, even if it's instinctual for him. When you study music theory (which I have) it's hard to turn that part of your brain off listening to shit you know? My best friend is a film major and he basically can't talk about movies like a normal person at all cause he deconstructs everything so much.

On July 13 2013 08:28 Bibbit wrote:
On July 13 2013 07:46 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Just know that the second half is probably better for white people

maad city is the climax of that album though, what didn't you like about that track?

I'm not so into the "thug" stuff in general. If I'm being quite honest, I really can't relate at all which probably puts a damper on it.


Kendrick ain't a thug nor does he brag about it. Don't look at it as glorification of a lifestyle, look at it as storytelling. Kendrick is describing his environment and the lifestyles of those around him and he does it in a pretty direct way. When he talks about himself he's talking about his unease with it and his desperation to escape that life.

If "maad city" came off as "thug" stuff to you, you didn't read the lyrics or it just went over your head tbh I mean the last verse is not subtle at all

I mean, I get it but I absolutely can't relate which really hurts the story. You said you can relate, perhaps you can't relate to how not being able to relate to a narrative makes it less powerful to you. Apologies for that ridiculous sentence but hopefully you see what I mean.

The idea behind GKMC is that the album starts off from the perspective of a young Kendrick getting involved in stuff he shouldn't. The thug stuff at the start of the album is him rapping from the perspective of his younger self. The skit at the end of Swimming Pools is based on a real life event that happened to Kendrick Lamar and made him straighten up and start focusing on rap more.

Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst is my favourite song on the album, I think it's just an amazing song. The first verse is from the perspective of one of his childhood friends, the 2nd is from the perspective of the sister of "Keisha" who was a prostitute Kendrick Lamar made a song about called "Keisha's Song" on his album Section.80, the final verse is from the perspective of Kendrick Lamar and he responds to the characters in the first 2 verses and raps about music saved him pulled him away from the life he could have left. The skit at the end is the ending of the storyline from GKMC, the rest of the songs aren't related to the actual storyline. They're also less thug because their from the perspective of modern day Kendrick Lamar and he's not really a thug rapper.
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-13 03:00:48
July 13 2013 02:56 GMT
#494
You don't necessarily need to be able to relate to narratives to enjoy them, there's also something interesting and impactful about going along with a narrator who thinks/lives so differently from you. kendrick does a good enough job painting a picture of the situation (not on biggie level but very good) and environment that I think anybody could grasp the situation if they tried



here's some real thug rap ^^^
RIP Aaliyah
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
July 13 2013 02:58 GMT
#495
actually i think this might be the thuggest music video ever

RIP Aaliyah
Bibbit
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada5377 Posts
July 13 2013 03:08 GMT
#496
On July 13 2013 11:56 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
You don't necessarily need to be able to relate to narratives to enjoy them, there's also something interesting and impactful about going along with a narrator who thinks/lives so differently from you. kendrick does a good enough job painting a picture of the situation (not on biggie level but very good) and environment that I think anybody could grasp the situation if they tried

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmThV22qvPU

here's some real thug rap ^^^

Haha yeah. I'll concede this was my fault for wording poorly. Calling Lamar's music "thug stuff" wasn't fair. It just deals with these "street" (Dr. H I know you're good with words, help me find the right one here!) themes and that's not my particular brand of hip hop.

I have now listened to the whole album. I quite liked "Art of Peer Pressure" but again, just not for me.

Thanks for remaining civil, I know differences of musical taste can have a way of spiraling out of control :D
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-13 03:13:25
July 13 2013 03:12 GMT
#497
Street themes is fine, it's not for everybody. At least you're not saying anything dismissive or ignorant about it. I'll argue to the death with anybody that says Kendrick can't rap and can't write but not everybody has to like him.

My favorite part of that whole album is the bit of The Art of Peer Pressure that sounds straight out of Bone Thugz discog
RIP Aaliyah
Bibbit
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada5377 Posts
July 13 2013 03:18 GMT
#498
On July 13 2013 12:12 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Street themes is fine, it's not for everybody. At least you're not saying anything dismissive or ignorant about it. I'll argue to the death with anybody that says Kendrick can't rap and can't write but not everybody has to like him.

My favorite part of that whole album is the bit of The Art of Peer Pressure that sounds straight out of Bone Thugz discog

Happy ending!

Also I'm glad this thread has created actual discussion instead of lists of youtube videos. Pretty impressive.
MCDayC
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom14464 Posts
July 13 2013 03:37 GMT
#499
Woah, I disappear for a bit and suddenly some actual discussion kicks off! :p

And about Kendrick Lamar as well, excellent. I think I disagree pretty heavily that GKMC is only relatable in terms of being a "street" album, whatever the fuck that means.

Peer pressure, Alcoholism, mortality, they are all pretty universal themes. I know that I have nothing in common with someone growing up in compton during the 90s, yet I still completely enjoy the album.

Also, Backseat Freestyle absolutely bangs

KILLING EVERYTHING FROM PUSSY TO A MOTHERFUCKING HITOBOY BEAT
VERY FRAGILE, LIKE A BABY PANDA EGG
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
July 13 2013 05:56 GMT
#500
Idk lets talk about 2013 tho is anyone else psyched for Old
RIP Aaliyah
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 27 68 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft473
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta23
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft479
WinterStarcraft140
RuFF_SC2 109
PiLiPiLi 2
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1110
White-Ra 140
NaDa 60
Noble 55
Hyuk 54
Bale 15
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm183
LuMiX1
League of Legends
Doublelift4900
Counter-Strike
taco 513
minikerr19
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox636
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor703
Other Games
summit1g7782
Coldzera 865
C9.Mang0338
ViBE62
ArmadaUGS54
Mew2King52
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick692
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream82
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 89
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21587
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
8h 23m
Online Event
9h 23m
FEL
14h 23m
AI Arena Tournament
15h 23m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
17h 23m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 8h
INu's Battles
1d 10h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
Replay Cast
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.