• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:19
CEST 16:19
KST 23:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War125.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202620Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9394 users

Evil Geniuses Discussion - Page 44

Forum Index > Dota 2 Player & Team Discussion
Post a Reply
Prev 1 42 43 44 45 46 235 Next
eoCIB
Profile Joined October 2014
Germany8 Posts
August 09 2015 11:54 GMT
#861
On August 09 2015 20:40 Ryder. wrote:
I didn't get to watch the CDEC vs EG uppe bracket finals, but saw the last 3 games of grand final (I'm also not an expert on dota anyway). Can somebody explain to me what happened in ~24 hours that caused EG to lose 0-2 to CDEC in upper bracket finals but then proceed to win pretty convincingly 3-1 in grand finals?


Game 1 in upper bracket finals was pretty close iirc
Game 2 ppd went for an "all-in" draft and got surprised by offlane Bounty Hunter

Grand Finals ppds drafting was really really good, forcing CDEC into heroes they are not comfortable with (Lesh) while getting a really solid composition themselves.
And I would argue that CDEC couldn't really handle the pressure as well as EG did.
sunrazgriz
Profile Joined April 2015
Vatican City State1573 Posts
August 09 2015 15:06 GMT
#862
congrats EG , well deserve for fear
nice final , much better from the last year final
6nnn
Masamune
Profile Joined January 2007
Canada3401 Posts
August 09 2015 15:15 GMT
#863


So fitting for them to win TI together lol
lolnoty
Profile Joined December 2005
United States7166 Posts
August 09 2015 20:08 GMT
#864
I wouldn't be surprised if Fear did retire, his injury must really frustrate him. Not being able to practice or play as much as you want sucks, especially when you expect more out of yourself to prepare against world class teams. On top of that he just completed one of his life goals, is probably well off financially (if he's smart and doesn't keep buying Mercedes, used cars are good too Fear). Everything lines up with him having all the options in the world open to him after struggling for years, which is really tempting as you get older.

I wonder who Eg would get. RTZ and EE might be free agents, or they could go with someone unknown to the world from NA dota again.
"PPD is a very angry guy. He controls us." - Arteezy
Talin
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Montenegro10532 Posts
August 09 2015 20:32 GMT
#865
I seriously doubt EG would want Envy at this point.

Since it's a position 1 player they would be looking for, I think dipping into the NEL pool again might be best. They're lucky not to have to look for supports, finding one would be a lot more difficult.
FHDH
Profile Joined July 2014
United States7023 Posts
August 09 2015 21:19 GMT
#866
There are so many damn carries out there. Envy is very experienced and creative but I don't think you pick him up simply as a position player.

In any case, how bad is Fear's arm still?
После драки кулаками не машут (Don't shake your fist when the fight is over)
TheEmulator
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
28103 Posts
August 09 2015 21:32 GMT
#867
I haven't seen a single complaint about his arm for quite some time. I'd assume he's fine now. Did he even have a tensor on while playing at TI5? Can't remember.
Administrator
FHDH
Profile Joined July 2014
United States7023 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-09 21:39:37
August 09 2015 21:37 GMT
#868
On August 10 2015 06:32 TheEmulator wrote:
I haven't seen a single complaint about his arm for quite some time. I'd assume he's fine now. Did he even have a tensor on while playing at TI5? Can't remember.

I don't believe he did. Someone on another team did though and I can't remember who.

Guys guys guys: if you look reallllly hard you can see PPD exhibiting a positive emotion

После драки кулаками не машут (Don't shake your fist when the fight is over)
spudde123
Profile Joined February 2012
4814 Posts
August 09 2015 21:41 GMT
#869
EG's manager called the arm situation "manageable but annoying" in an interview with HotBid, and said that while Fear can obviously play he can't play as much as let's say Sumail.

But at least I haven't heard that it would actually be getting worse. If it is actually getting worse from playing again then it wouldn't be surprising to see him leave. But if it just stays the same and he can still get the necessary amount of games in then why would he retire if the games are going this well.
Sbrubbles
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil5776 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-09 21:43:40
August 09 2015 21:42 GMT
#870
On August 09 2015 20:40 Ryder. wrote:
I didn't get to watch the CDEC vs EG uppe bracket finals, but saw the last 3 games of grand final (I'm also not an expert on dota anyway). Can somebody explain to me what happened in ~24 hours that caused EG to lose 0-2 to CDEC in upper bracket finals but then proceed to win pretty convincingly 3-1 in grand finals?


I feel the most convincing explanation was PPD's ability to adapt his draft and the team's plays to CDEC, the argument being that he more or less drafted the same way all four games (and only lost game 2 because he got broodmothered and Aui botched a critical winter's curse in a big fight).
Bora Pain minha porra!
Pomza
Profile Joined October 2014
45 Posts
August 09 2015 21:43 GMT
#871
With replacing Fear if he does decide to retire, could there be any chance of YawaR joining the squad? I know Charlie speaks highly of him and said he will join a Tier 1 team in the Post-TI shuffle.
FHDH
Profile Joined July 2014
United States7023 Posts
August 09 2015 21:53 GMT
#872
On August 10 2015 06:43 Pomza wrote:
With replacing Fear if he does decide to retire, could there be any chance of YawaR joining the squad? I know Charlie speaks highly of him and said he will join a Tier 1 team in the Post-TI shuffle.

Suma1L's brother, right? Sounds like a pretty bad idea. At this point - at least leading up to the win - he seems to be in a pretty good place in the team, I don't think adding that dynamic is wise.
После драки кулаками не машут (Don't shake your fist when the fight is over)
Pomza
Profile Joined October 2014
45 Posts
August 09 2015 22:00 GMT
#873
On August 10 2015 06:53 FHDH wrote:
Suma1L's brother, right? Sounds like a pretty bad idea. At this point - at least leading up to the win - he seems to be in a pretty good place in the team, I don't think adding that dynamic is wise.


I agree, think having Universe and PPD keep a good balance in the team and don't want to upset the apple cart. I just saw someone talk about recruiting from NA dota and YawaR can be a top player.
pat777
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States356 Posts
August 10 2015 10:12 GMT
#874
I have this far fetched theory that I know is complete bullshit but I'm gonna say it anyways. I think ppd may be a descendant of William Rowan Hamilton the mathematician. PPD has red hair so it's likely that he has Irish ancestors. Both these men are geniuses in their respective fields.
Additionally from Hamilton's wikipedia page:
"In September 1813 the American calculating prodigy Zerah Colburn was being exhibited in Dublin. Colburn was 9, a year older than Hamilton. The two were pitted against each other in a mental arithmetic contest with Colburn emerging the clear victor. In reaction to his defeat, Hamilton dedicated less time to studying languages and more time to studying mathematics."
He had no interest in math prior to that. The salt from that defeat turned him into one of the most legendary mathematicians. PPD is also fueled by his salt and is legendary.
Mafe
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany5966 Posts
August 10 2015 11:11 GMT
#875
Congratulations!

Also, if EG needs a replacement for fear, how about black^? Not likely, but one can dream.
unkkz
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Norway2196 Posts
August 10 2015 11:14 GMT
#876
Why is Universe so damn good?
Salazarz
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Korea (South)2591 Posts
August 10 2015 13:22 GMT
#877
On August 10 2015 06:42 Sbrubbles wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2015 20:40 Ryder. wrote:
I didn't get to watch the CDEC vs EG uppe bracket finals, but saw the last 3 games of grand final (I'm also not an expert on dota anyway). Can somebody explain to me what happened in ~24 hours that caused EG to lose 0-2 to CDEC in upper bracket finals but then proceed to win pretty convincingly 3-1 in grand finals?


I feel the most convincing explanation was PPD's ability to adapt his draft and the team's plays to CDEC, the argument being that he more or less drafted the same way all four games (and only lost game 2 because he got broodmothered and Aui botched a critical winter's curse in a big fight).


I don't think they won through drafts, well not entirely. They changed up their playstyle to deal with CDEC's aggressive moves well (grouping up earlier, avoiding their own jungle, constant tps by Fear, etc), while CDEC seemingly couldn't get out of their ultra-aggressive, risky plays mentality. Game 1 was a perfect example of that -- CDEC was doing well in early game while having the late-game draft advantage, but instead of letting their cores get their critical items up when EG started playing ultra defensive, they kept trying to get more and more ganks in and went from being ahead during laning to losing the game simply through repeated failed ganks.

CDEC also made some very amateur-level execution / playcall mistakes, like the Rosh attempt that cost them game 4. What kind of a professional team puts literally ALL of their heroes inside Rosh pit when playing against an Earthshaker with a blink dagger and an Ancient Apparition? Like, I was facepalming knowing the game is about to end as soon as I saw them try to kill Rosh without as much as leaving someone outside to look out for the inevitable ES blink in.

I think losing in their prior series helped EG a lot -- they looked over their losses and came prepared to the grand finals, while CDEC tried to do the same thing that won them the earlier series over and over, and got frustrated by EG's defensive play.
intotheheart
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada33091 Posts
August 10 2015 14:17 GMT
#878
On August 10 2015 06:37 FHDH wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 10 2015 06:32 TheEmulator wrote:
I haven't seen a single complaint about his arm for quite some time. I'd assume he's fine now. Did he even have a tensor on while playing at TI5? Can't remember.

I don't believe he did. Someone on another team did though and I can't remember who.

Guys guys guys: if you look reallllly hard you can see PPD exhibiting a positive emotion

https://twitter.com/MonsterGaming/status/630414919611985920

And then there's Fear thinking "shit did I leave the oven on?"
kiss kiss fall in love
bluzi
Profile Joined May 2011
4703 Posts
August 10 2015 15:01 GMT
#879
This was nice to see , the pod cams from both teams while the echo is going on :
Beirut
Profile Joined January 2011
United States673 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-10 18:42:11
August 10 2015 18:39 GMT
#880
What a year and a half. First S A D B O Y S, then the Fear/Mason substitution that might have cost us an aegis, then the great western shuffle that took away two of the best players in the world. So proud of this team and happy to have seen them play live four times over that period, including both TIs.

Now for some ridiculous speculation to release my post TI hype. A couple big questions for EG going forward.

Will Fear retire? The answer to this is probably no. He seems like he has his arm injury under control, and while most people like to joke about Fear being old he's only fucking 27. In the NBA you're like a spring chicken and you still recover incredibly well from physical injuries. If he can train and perform at the level needed to win a TI, this isn't his last year. Mentally he has always seemed like he's invested in the game and still enjoys/loves playing; I've rarely seen him exhausted or burnt out like Arteezy or something. It's not like he has a wife/family, or other commitments to really bring him away from the game. It's the only shit he's ever really known unless he has some watercolor painting hobby or something I don't know about.

Will the roster change? The answer again is probably no. It's obvious at this point that PPD is the focal point of EG. I think Universe is the best offlaner in the world and his communication style is perfect for a team led by PPD; the same can be said for Sumail for the mid position, albeit less dominant compared to his peers. Aui 2000 seems to have worked out well once he adjusted to the new team and communication style - I think the roster stays the same through the first major.

Will they stay motivated? Unfortunately the answer is probably no. As much as I would love to think that Sumail will diligently practice new heroes to add to his small hero pool and expand his playstyle, he's a 16 year old that just won $1.3 million dollars and achieved the highest goal in the only game/life he's ever known. The best thing about this kid is his desire to be the best; I can't help but think that will be tempered after, well, becoming the best.

This is also a squad that is known to lapse into long periods of not practicing or caring about their performance once they've achieved some success. PPD has always said these guys aren't close friends - they're coworkers. That's not the kind of environment that really breeds a lot of consistency when money isn't on the line. And when you look at a prize purse of $100,000 compared to a prize pool of $6,600,000... that's not really a lot of money on the line.

Whatever happens, it's going to be a fun year watching this team play Dota. I'm terrified by the finish of the past TI winners at TI5, and if we can stay competitive for TI6 I'll be really happy. EG now has a change to establish themselves as a consistent TI contender for a second year, and I hope they don't let the opportunity go to waste. I think the best thing that could happen for them is another NA team emerges as their predominant rival [insert Team Liquid hype here], I think it would push them to stay on top of their game for another long year.

Prev 1 42 43 44 45 46 235 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 41m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
LamboSC2 310
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 36881
Calm 5955
Bisu 2557
Rain 1562
Jaedong 1053
Horang2 722
BeSt 570
FanTaSy 448
Soma 425
Rush 393
[ Show more ]
Larva 340
Stork 298
Light 290
Snow 192
Zeus 191
ZerO 187
Mind 151
Barracks 105
910 103
Free 101
Killer 89
Hyun 49
Mong 48
Shinee 46
Sea.KH 46
sorry 45
ToSsGirL 37
Pusan 26
Aegong 19
Hm[arnc] 18
Terrorterran 17
Rock 16
Sexy 13
Trap 11
Sacsri 10
Noble 9
Dota 2
Gorgc7124
XaKoH 413
Counter-Strike
fl0m3154
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes343
Other Games
gofns36235
singsing2267
B2W.Neo945
olofmeister794
hiko418
Lowko331
Mlord314
Hui .189
DeMusliM163
Livibee159
djWHEAT110
RotterdaM98
Mew2King65
Trikslyr53
QueenE51
ZerO(Twitch)13
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3776
• Jankos2440
• TFBlade543
Upcoming Events
OSC
8h 41m
Big Brain Bouts
19h 41m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 2h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 4h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 19h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.