• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:38
CEST 03:38
KST 10:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202610Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9730 users

Hardcore - a guide & why you should play it - Page 9

Forum Index > Diablo 3
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 22 Next All
Lunchador
Profile Joined April 2010
United States776 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-16 03:43:55
June 15 2012 20:30 GMT
#161
On June 16 2012 03:51 willoc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 15 2012 16:49 Phael wrote:
On June 15 2012 16:12 diophan wrote:
Can some people give rough levels they beat normal on and each act for Nightmare and Hell? I'm wondering how much XP farming I should be doing and really want to feel prepared by having a baseline. Rolling a wizard BTW.


My numbers so far as a first time hardcore player (I'd imagine subsequent run-throughs would feature lower levels and higher dps), level 52 wizard, closing in on Butcher now ...

Normal diablo - 2k hp, 600 dps, level 32
Nightmare butcher - 5.6k hp, 1200 dps, level 38
Nightmare belial - 8k hp, 2200 dps, level 43
Nightmare azmodan - 13k hp, 4100 dps, level 48
Nightmare diablo - 15k hp, 4300 dps, level 49 (act 4 gives you no xp ...) Warning: Izual was a bitch with these stats.

Other than that one fight with Izual, there wasn't a single time during any of my leveling so far that I've even fallen below half hp. Playing inferno really does make you a lot better at avoiding stuff apparently.


These numbers (and the rest once someone finds them) would be great in the OP! I'm always hesitant to fight a boss since I'm not sure of their stats and want to be at least at the same level when I attempt them.


Those DPS numbers are quite overkill in nightmare mode. Not that I'm taking anything away from that, you do have to do what you gotta do to survive. Just don't take those as "zomg I need those numbers or I won't stand a chance!" =P

The HP numbers are easily attainable benchmarks, although you do want closer to 3k HP for normal Diablo. However, you shouldn't need the AH or heavy farming to comfortably beat those bosses on nightmare.

I'll post some numbers from my HC barbarian's progression in comparison.

Normal Diablo - 3.5k HP, 300 dps, LV31
Nightmare Buthcer - 4.5k HP, 800 dps, LV36 - decided to ditch the shield for some sexy giant weapons
Nightmare Belial - 7k HP, 1100 dps, LV41
Nightmare Azmodan - 14k HP, 1300 dps, LV47
Nightmare Diablo - 14k HP, 1250 dps, LV49 - shield goes back on for this act. The extra defense was sorely needed!

From the beginning of nightmare mode to where I'm at now, my armor (with war cry) started around 2200 to 3000. The really important thing is having a lot of damage reduction to safely take a giant hit without going "oh shit!", especially if you don't have the damage to just gun em down.

EDIT - Nightmare Diablo down! I had a 120 dps 1 hander, 850 STR, and a shield on for this act. My armor buffed with warcry shot up to 3700.
Defender of truth, justice, and noontime meals!
HarryDG
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada38 Posts
June 15 2012 20:53 GMT
#162
I really enjoyed reading this article and it gave me the idea to switch from SC to HC since I was getting pretty bored of the grind in SC. Now I'm having a great time in HC all over again!

I was wondering if there is a comprehensive leveling guide by class for HC. I would like be able to know what minimum stats are recommended before progressing to certain bosses/difficulties. Also good grinding points along the way, etc.

I've been playing with my friend which is a lot of fun, however I feel it would be more fun to have a small community of HC playing friends to help eachother out, level, etc. Personally I much prefer HC in a group. Any other people interested in playing together? Send me a PM.

Currently I have a Wizard at lvl 30, Monk lvl 15 in HC
I also have a Barb / WD both lvl 60 in SC with over 40M of gear easily.
unkkz
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Norway2196 Posts
June 15 2012 20:55 GMT
#163
On June 16 2012 04:47 Phael wrote:
Fairly sure base damage numbers are available from bradygames' guide.

To finish up pre-inferno:

Hell butcher - 17k hp, 4700 dps, level 52
Hell belial - 18k hp, 5900 dps, level 55
Hell azmodan - 17k hp, 7400 dps, level 57
Hell diablo - 17k hp, 7600 dps, level 58 (izual was downright scary here)

I've got a lot of experience with azmodan/diablo so even though I stayed at 100% hp the entire fight, those stats may not be enough if you accidentally get hit with something. Also, I miss using rubies in helm, sigh.


Those HP's are suicide wtf, plz don't post SC stats as someone might actually go for it.
Phael
Profile Joined May 2010
United States281 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-16 02:41:34
June 15 2012 21:09 GMT
#164
On June 16 2012 05:55 unkkz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2012 04:47 Phael wrote:
Fairly sure base damage numbers are available from bradygames' guide.

To finish up pre-inferno:

Hell butcher - 17k hp, 4700 dps, level 52
Hell belial - 18k hp, 5900 dps, level 55
Hell azmodan - 17k hp, 7400 dps, level 57
Hell diablo - 17k hp, 7600 dps, level 58 (izual was downright scary here)

I've got a lot of experience with azmodan/diablo so even though I stayed at 100% hp the entire fight, those stats may not be enough if you accidentally get hit with something. Also, I miss using rubies in helm, sigh.


Those HP's are suicide wtf, plz don't post SC stats as someone might actually go for it.



Heh, you say those stats are suicide, yet a previous poster claimed they were overkill. To be honest, I just sat down and cleared most of hell in one setting without visiting the AH which is why the variation in hp is so low (found a decent ring along the way that cost me vit as well.)

I wouldn't actually try it, but I'm confident that force armor + those stats is enough to survive almost all big, avoidable attacks. And if it wasn't clear, this is indeed a hardcore char.
unkkz
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Norway2196 Posts
June 15 2012 21:54 GMT
#165
On June 16 2012 06:09 Phael wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2012 05:55 unkkz wrote:
On June 16 2012 04:47 Phael wrote:
Fairly sure base damage numbers are available from bradygames' guide.

To finish up pre-inferno:

Hell butcher - 17k hp, 4700 dps, level 52
Hell belial - 18k hp, 5900 dps, level 55
Hell azmodan - 17k hp, 7400 dps, level 57
Hell diablo - 17k hp, 7600 dps, level 58 (izual was downright scary here)

I've got a lot of experience with azmodan/diablo so even though I stayed at 100% hp the entire fight, those stats may not be enough if you accidentally get hit with something. Also, I miss using rubies in helm, sigh.


Those HP's are suicide wtf, plz don't post SC stats as someone might actually go for it.



Heh, you say those stats are suicide, the a previous poster claimed they were overkill. To be honest, I just sat down and cleared most of hell in one go without visiting the AH which is why the variation in hp is so low (found a decent ring that lost me vit as well.)

I won't actually try it, but I'm confident that force armor + those stats is enough to survive almost all big, avoidable attacks. And if it wasn't clear, this is indeed a hardcore char.


That is the definition of unsafe play and will without a doubt get people killed. One hiccup, one lagspike and you are done for. Like posted in the OP if people can do it with 5k hp, fine, congratulations. But it is hardly anything that should be recommended to anyone since it's simply stupid and unsafe. I might be going overboard with my criticism here but people dying due to too low HP pools just plain sucks.

diophan
Profile Joined September 2011
United States1018 Posts
June 15 2012 22:31 GMT
#166
On June 16 2012 06:54 unkkz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2012 06:09 Phael wrote:
On June 16 2012 05:55 unkkz wrote:
On June 16 2012 04:47 Phael wrote:
Fairly sure base damage numbers are available from bradygames' guide.

To finish up pre-inferno:

Hell butcher - 17k hp, 4700 dps, level 52
Hell belial - 18k hp, 5900 dps, level 55
Hell azmodan - 17k hp, 7400 dps, level 57
Hell diablo - 17k hp, 7600 dps, level 58 (izual was downright scary here)

I've got a lot of experience with azmodan/diablo so even though I stayed at 100% hp the entire fight, those stats may not be enough if you accidentally get hit with something. Also, I miss using rubies in helm, sigh.


Those HP's are suicide wtf, plz don't post SC stats as someone might actually go for it.



Heh, you say those stats are suicide, the a previous poster claimed they were overkill. To be honest, I just sat down and cleared most of hell in one go without visiting the AH which is why the variation in hp is so low (found a decent ring that lost me vit as well.)

I won't actually try it, but I'm confident that force armor + those stats is enough to survive almost all big, avoidable attacks. And if it wasn't clear, this is indeed a hardcore char.


That is the definition of unsafe play and will without a doubt get people killed. One hiccup, one lagspike and you are done for. Like posted in the OP if people can do it with 5k hp, fine, congratulations. But it is hardly anything that should be recommended to anyone since it's simply stupid and unsafe. I might be going overboard with my criticism here but people dying due to too low HP pools just plain sucks.



I did ask people what stats they're clearing bosses with. If you think they're low okay but having different datapoints is good. It's not like Phael is saying if you go for higher HP you're a noob.
Lunchador
Profile Joined April 2010
United States776 Posts
June 15 2012 22:47 GMT
#167
On June 16 2012 06:09 Phael wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2012 05:55 unkkz wrote:
On June 16 2012 04:47 Phael wrote:
Fairly sure base damage numbers are available from bradygames' guide.

To finish up pre-inferno:

Hell butcher - 17k hp, 4700 dps, level 52
Hell belial - 18k hp, 5900 dps, level 55
Hell azmodan - 17k hp, 7400 dps, level 57
Hell diablo - 17k hp, 7600 dps, level 58 (izual was downright scary here)

I've got a lot of experience with azmodan/diablo so even though I stayed at 100% hp the entire fight, those stats may not be enough if you accidentally get hit with something. Also, I miss using rubies in helm, sigh.


Those HP's are suicide wtf, plz don't post SC stats as someone might actually go for it.



Heh, you say those stats are suicide, the a previous poster claimed they were overkill. To be honest, I just sat down and cleared most of hell in one go without visiting the AH which is why the variation in hp is so low (found a decent ring that lost me vit as well.)

I won't actually try it, but I'm confident that force armor + those stats is enough to survive almost all big, avoidable attacks. And if it wasn't clear, this is indeed a hardcore char.


Hum, good point with force armor. I forgot it's pretty hax before inferno. =P
Defender of truth, justice, and noontime meals!
Aixler
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands946 Posts
June 15 2012 22:50 GMT
#168
Would be cool if you added some polls or information about how much hp/dps ppl have when they kill act bosses.
Hecaitomix
Profile Joined April 2012
United States21 Posts
June 16 2012 00:32 GMT
#169
nice guide. i completely left sc, on my 4th char now on HC, a WD (level 48). i manage to get some friends to play with me on HC, but most don't even want to try it, a shame.
Many people are God, usually in a universe no bigger than their own minds, all-present, all-knowing. And yet, impotent outside the confines of their heads. And what God cannot do, men will attempt...
Dfgj
Profile Joined May 2008
Singapore5922 Posts
June 16 2012 02:36 GMT
#170
Eh, just throwing my most recent stat in:

19k hp, 2.8k dps for Nightmare Diablo as Monk

...what, I play safe.
sorn
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States13 Posts
June 16 2012 03:27 GMT
#171
I'm in inferno act 1 (NA server), and I would like to start a group or work with others to farm gobos. Please shoot me a PM if interested.

Not sure when I'm ready to begin progressing through the act, but I'd rather be safe than sorry!
udai
Profile Joined December 2010
United States68 Posts
June 16 2012 04:59 GMT
#172
Rmah made SC unplayable as this is against every instinct and belief I have in games

disconnects made HC unplayable. Lost my first HC to a disconnect after 12 hours.

Cashing out and moving on....
Make us proud cast the first stone.
TangyOrange
Profile Joined November 2011
Singapore87 Posts
June 16 2012 07:49 GMT
#173
A great read . But I realised you wrote "strenght in numbers". Haha.
CosmicHippo
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States547 Posts
June 16 2012 08:24 GMT
#174
Definatly trying out hardcore now, because softcore is getting fucking boring
Yeah i've got your zerg riiiight here! *gulps beer*
Caryc
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany330 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-16 09:28:30
June 16 2012 09:22 GMT
#175
playing barb i had about double the amount of hp mentioned above which was great for playing with a friend.
i couldnt die if i wanted on standard stuff and if there is some teleport firechain thing you can still live through it
everytime.
but i dont get that low hp numbers anyway.
i just did diablo on normal with a wizard and had 6k hp with some gems =O

edit :
had 38k hp 400 res all 600 physical res for diablo hell w/ shout.
was overkill tho helpfull against 2 packs of rare mobs with teleport,firechain,molten // teleport / that red void zone on the ground thingy / watever

edit 2 :
i just wanted to let people know that i think the numbers on top of this page are _really_ low.
while they can work,they could also get you killed.
dmfg
Profile Joined May 2008
United Kingdom591 Posts
June 16 2012 10:48 GMT
#176
On June 16 2012 06:09 Phael wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2012 05:55 unkkz wrote:
On June 16 2012 04:47 Phael wrote:
Fairly sure base damage numbers are available from bradygames' guide.

To finish up pre-inferno:

Hell butcher - 17k hp, 4700 dps, level 52
Hell belial - 18k hp, 5900 dps, level 55
Hell azmodan - 17k hp, 7400 dps, level 57
Hell diablo - 17k hp, 7600 dps, level 58 (izual was downright scary here)

I've got a lot of experience with azmodan/diablo so even though I stayed at 100% hp the entire fight, those stats may not be enough if you accidentally get hit with something. Also, I miss using rubies in helm, sigh.


Those HP's are suicide wtf, plz don't post SC stats as someone might actually go for it.



Heh, you say those stats are suicide, yet a previous poster claimed they were overkill. To be honest, I just sat down and cleared most of hell in one setting without visiting the AH which is why the variation in hp is so low (found a decent ring along the way that cost me vit as well.)

I wouldn't actually try it, but I'm confident that force armor + those stats is enough to survive almost all big, avoidable attacks. And if it wasn't clear, this is indeed a hardcore char.


I think you can make it through with those stats, but you're dancing with luck. If you don't see a bunch of suicide mobs as you run through a doorway, it's the difference between barely surviving them all exploding and staring at a deeds screen. Or a badly timed waller/jailer just as you're running away from a mortar. Etc.

You don't just want to have enough HP to survive what you will encounter on average - you want to be able to survive the worst case situation.
AeroGear
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada652 Posts
June 16 2012 12:10 GMT
#177
Died in hell A1 with 37K hp (on a barb). Just follow the easy formula of having roughly 1:1 main stat/vitality ratio. You can go a bit over, unless you dont feel safe. For normal/nightmare you can use pretty offensive builds up to A3 NM where you start to run into mobs that hit harder or are harder to avoid.
Driven by hate, fueled by rage
Markwerf
Profile Joined March 2010
Netherlands3728 Posts
June 16 2012 12:35 GMT
#178
HC to me is just a chore.
It is a bigger challenge then SC but it's just a chore since most of the time you're basically waiting a bit before you are overgeared/overleveled before continuing to more dangerous areas. Later on when you can't outlevel stuff anymore it get's much more interesting but you already have to put so much time in to get there that it's not worth the hassle to me considering how often lag spikes just lead to random deaths.
TyrantPotato
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Australia1541 Posts
June 16 2012 12:43 GMT
#179
On June 16 2012 21:35 Markwerf wrote:
HC to me is just a chore.
It is a bigger challenge then SC but it's just a chore since most of the time you're basically waiting a bit before you are overgeared/overleveled before continuing to more dangerous areas. Later on when you can't outlevel stuff anymore it get's much more interesting but you already have to put so much time in to get there that it's not worth the hassle to me considering how often lag spikes just lead to random deaths.


i semi agree.

the chore of having to relevel a character that you just lost.
the out leveling/out gearing is in every games hardest difficulty/modes so im fine with that concept

however, since blizzard is hell bent on stopping powerleveling and forcing us to enjoy their "masterpiece" of a questline it takes ALOT out of the experience.

IN OTHER NEWS, since other people are posting their stats of when they beat bosses and such ill add mine.

My DH was level 35 when he killed diablo normal
Hp: 4.9k
Damage: 891
Armor 570

Forever ZeNEX.
Technique
Profile Joined March 2010
Netherlands1542 Posts
June 16 2012 12:53 GMT
#180
Bnet is too unstable for hardcore mode.

Die while they boot you out for maintenance.
Die with crap fps cause bnet decides to lag out of the blue.
Etc.

Else i would of played hc tho, but these things are too frustrating to die to.
If you think you're good, you suck. If you think you suck, you're getting better.
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 22 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
davetesta31
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech139
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12780
Shuttle 676
Artosis 607
Dewaltoss 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm149
League of Legends
Doublelift4014
Counter-Strike
taco 494
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox521
AZ_Axe110
Other Games
summit1g7929
shahzam693
Day[9].tv544
C9.Mang0359
Maynarde149
ViBE127
WinterStarcraft79
Trikslyr68
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV196
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 44
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv544
Upcoming Events
OSC
21h 22m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 8h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 15h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 17h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.