• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:13
CEST 22:13
KST 05:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10602 users

[D] MBS Discussion III - Page 9

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 27 Next All
Unentschieden
Profile Joined August 2007
Germany1471 Posts
February 29 2008 19:19 GMT
#161
I don´t think that MBS effecting competativness is on the debate. The fuss is actually if it effects gameplay in a positive way. The strongest counterargument is after all "MBS destroys Macro".
There was LOADS of argumentation over that but obviously nothing convincing enough yet.
GeneralStan
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States4789 Posts
February 29 2008 19:22 GMT
#162
I haven't played AoX, so I can't speak to it.

Changing the feel of the game is an entirely different argument, as MBS does seem to move focus from macro to micro and possibly in a big way.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Response
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States1938 Posts
February 29 2008 19:48 GMT
#163
On March 01 2008 01:00 GeneralStan wrote:
Watch this game:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=5kSyo3kZlZQ

And tell me WC3 isn't exciting


k watched the entire game....wc3 isn't exciting
the REAL ReSpOnSe
teamsolid
Profile Joined October 2007
Canada3668 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-03-01 01:17:33
February 29 2008 22:08 GMT
#164
On March 01 2008 01:00 GeneralStan wrote:
Watch this game:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=5kSyo3kZlZQ

And tell me WC3 isn't exciting

That YouTube quality really hurts WC3 matches... because it makes the flashy battles even harder to follow. That was a pretty exciting game, but it's hard to understand the nuances and how the momentum shifted from one player to the other several times in that game unless you've had some experience with WC3 at a decent level. You lose most of the tension if you don't understand the implications of various plays and stuff that's going on. On the other hand, you can enjoy SC matches without knowing anything at all about the game.
GeneralStan
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States4789 Posts
February 29 2008 22:12 GMT
#165
I don't watch War3, so I didn't know much of what was going on, but the way the heroes were always red and avoiding death my the narrowest margins again and again is what I found so exciting.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
teamsolid
Profile Joined October 2007
Canada3668 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-02-29 22:23:32
February 29 2008 22:22 GMT
#166
On March 01 2008 07:12 GeneralStan wrote:
I don't watch War3, so I didn't know much of what was going on, but the way the heroes were always red and avoiding death my the narrowest margins again and again is what I found so exciting.

Yea, that definitely added a lot to the excitement and it's what got the commentators all shouting. It's kind of like how Boxer or Nada pulls off sick plays with their marines. I haven't watched any WC3 for a long time since I started to follow the SC scene. I'm just saying that I can understand if someone doesn't find it exciting, because it's not easy to tell what's going on, or the skill involved in some of those plays.
GeneralStan
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States4789 Posts
February 29 2008 22:38 GMT
#167
I know what you're saying, but Starcraft is really the same way. If you're not acquainted much with RTSes, the action doesn't mean much. So I figured a group of RTS enthusiasts could appreciate that game.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Meh
Profile Joined January 2008
Sweden458 Posts
February 29 2008 22:58 GMT
#168
Lets be clear about the fact that exciting WC3 games are rare though. I played a boring Starcraft game once, doesn't make the game boring.

When I was really into WC3, I started downloading replays to check buildorders and strats, and that was the beginning of the end. Because every single pro replay was a black hole of boredom.
"Difficult task balancing! So I will continue to gaebaljin gemhamyeo balancing. But we are exceptional talent!" - Blizzard
teamsolid
Profile Joined October 2007
Canada3668 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-03-01 00:15:09
March 01 2008 00:14 GMT
#169
On March 01 2008 07:38 GeneralStan wrote:
I know what you're saying, but Starcraft is really the same way. If you're not acquainted much with RTSes, the action doesn't mean much. So I figured a group of RTS enthusiasts could appreciate that game.

I'm well aware that this is the same for SC (I watch/play SC myself), but I'm saying the effect is even more amplified with respect to W3, because it's just so confusing to watch for anyone that's not acquainted with it. That's why I'm glad that SC2 is going to be a much better spectator sport in that regard.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
March 01 2008 00:15 GMT
#170
On March 01 2008 07:38 GeneralStan wrote:
I know what you're saying, but Starcraft is really the same way. If you're not acquainted much with RTSes, the action doesn't mean much. So I figured a group of RTS enthusiasts could appreciate that game.

I didn't watch the game you linked yet, and I'm not someone who can't find WC3 exciting (there's a game from, I think, blizzcon in particular that I'm thinking of here) but I'd say one advantage SC has over WC3 in the "easy to watch" department is that shit actually dies.

A lot.

In WC3 everything has like 500 hp
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
GeneralStan
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States4789 Posts
March 01 2008 00:55 GMT
#171
You're very right FA. I guess there's something viscerely satisfying to the viewer in watching a bunch of units die
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
prOxi.swAMi
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Australia3091 Posts
March 01 2008 00:59 GMT
#172
On March 01 2008 09:15 FrozenArbiter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 01 2008 07:38 GeneralStan wrote:
I know what you're saying, but Starcraft is really the same way. If you're not acquainted much with RTSes, the action doesn't mean much. So I figured a group of RTS enthusiasts could appreciate that game.

I didn't watch the game you linked yet, and I'm not someone who can't find WC3 exciting (there's a game from, I think, blizzcon in particular that I'm thinking of here) but I'd say one advantage SC has over WC3 in the "easy to watch" department is that shit actually dies.

A lot.

In WC3 everything has like 500 hp

Rofl qft. So true. Something can have like red or yellow HP and you're still destined to see it alive for the rest of the game.
Oh no
HamerD
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom1922 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-03-01 01:14:36
March 01 2008 01:14 GMT
#173
that's still slightly off topic cos i doubt they're gona have that in sc2 lol

my main thing is that i really don't want sc2 to be a micro game. I want it to have the potential to be played with a micro intense style but not the obligation.

I think that every step closer to easier macro is a step in the wrong direction. I think the clash here is that all of us want to see the cracks of the UI sorted out in sc2, but some of us think that SBS isn't actually a UI limitation...it's transcended that.
"Oh no, we've drawn Judge Schneider" "Is that bad?" "Well, he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog" "You did?" "Yeah...if you replace the word *kinda* with *repeatedly*...and the word *dog* with son"
Unentschieden
Profile Joined August 2007
Germany1471 Posts
March 01 2008 01:28 GMT
#174
On March 01 2008 10:14 HamerD wrote: but some of us think that SBS isn't actually a UI limitation...it's transcended that.


The problem with that is that it exactly fits in the "Fans hate change" cliche. SBS is a valuable component of SC yes but why does it have to stay for SC2?


On March 01 2008 10:14 HamerD wrote:
my main thing is that i really don't want sc2 to be a micro game. I want it to have the potential to be played with a micro intense style but not the obligation.


Is what you REALLY want. Blizzards job is to figure out how to reach that whithout resorting to cheap tricks like a bad UI. That would be like doubling a FPSes playtime by having the Player backtrack every level. Blizzard can and should do better than that.
HamerD
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom1922 Posts
March 01 2008 02:24 GMT
#175
Well I don't think it's cliche because I'm saying that I LIKE change when it's needed, but not when it isn't. I just think so much of SC doesn't need to be changed, the only things are the units, maps, mechanics, and a few UI issues.

A backwards UI is never great, but I think that the SBS is more of a feature than a UI issue now.

And talking about why does it have to stay for SC2, clearly we should all want SC2 to have the good features of SC?! Do you want to see SC2 more like wc3 than sc? Or more like any of the other supremely shit westernised instant-gratification noobfest other games? Granted cnc and dow aren't supremely shit lol but they are still a whole rung below sc imho.

I think SBS is a feature, like 'large maps' and 'small groups' and 'mineral harrass' that shouldn't be gotten rid of.

I did almost hit the screen when i saw a 'town centre' gun on the CC. Bloody ridiculous, painful even. Yet another step towards making it difficult to harrass minerals which makes the game interesting.
"Oh no, we've drawn Judge Schneider" "Is that bad?" "Well, he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog" "You did?" "Yeah...if you replace the word *kinda* with *repeatedly*...and the word *dog* with son"
Ancestral
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States3230 Posts
March 01 2008 04:59 GMT
#176
On March 01 2008 04:48 GoSuPlAyEr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 01 2008 01:00 GeneralStan wrote:
Watch this game:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=5kSyo3kZlZQ

And tell me WC3 isn't exciting


k watched the entire game....wc3 isn't exciting

Yes, I didn't find it too exciting. But I didn't understand it either. All those flashing lights = the gayest thing I've ever seen, and I once saw two men having sex.

I would like to learn to play and understand WarIII just to expand my horizons, but thankfully Blizzard has stated a few times this will be nothing like WarIII, they're making a point to make everyone realize that. Variety is good.
The Nature and purpose of the martial way are universal; all selfish desires must be roasted in the tempering fires of hard training. - Masutatsu Oyama
wswordsmen
Profile Joined October 2007
United States987 Posts
March 01 2008 06:38 GMT
#177
I have a hypothentical (and likely unrealistic) question about MBS, and also an argument for MBS on defence structures (cannons, bunkers, turrets, sunks ext.)

First the question: If Blizzard could come up with a replacement task to draw a players attention away from their army so they wouldn't be constantly microing it would you be opposed to MBS?
note: the new task is as big as macro is in SC.

Now on MBS in defence structures, there is no reason not to have it, if it is included from the begining. There was a previous topic that was linked to in the first post in MBS II (not sure about 3) about how MBS on defence structures would mean that the attacker would be at a big disadvantage (they used the example of MnM vs Sunkens), but what they didn't include that the increased control over the defencive buildings could be balanced by reducing damage the structure does. This would mean that it would increase the skill ceiling keep the game balanced and it would be logical if it was kept away from all unit producing structures and used only for structues that can attack.

Note: This argument is limited to only structures that do not produce units, and maybe comsat. That is a debate I want to avoid.

ps. I will probably edit this for grammer and stupid stuff tommarow.
Fen
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Australia1848 Posts
March 01 2008 08:38 GMT
#178
On March 01 2008 15:38 wswordsmen wrote:
I have a hypothentical (and likely unrealistic) question about MBS, and also an argument for MBS on defence structures (cannons, bunkers, turrets, sunks ext.)

First the question: If Blizzard could come up with a replacement task to draw a players attention away from their army so they wouldn't be constantly microing it would you be opposed to MBS?
note: the new task is as big as macro is in SC.

Now on MBS in defence structures, there is no reason not to have it, if it is included from the begining. There was a previous topic that was linked to in the first post in MBS II (not sure about 3) about how MBS on defence structures would mean that the attacker would be at a big disadvantage (they used the example of MnM vs Sunkens), but what they didn't include that the increased control over the defencive buildings could be balanced by reducing damage the structure does. This would mean that it would increase the skill ceiling keep the game balanced and it would be logical if it was kept away from all unit producing structures and used only for structues that can attack.

Note: This argument is limited to only structures that do not produce units, and maybe comsat. That is a debate I want to avoid.

ps. I will probably edit this for grammer and stupid stuff tommarow.


First Question - Not at all. We are not against MBS by itself, we are against the effect that it will have on the game. Replace the effect with another macro task and i'll be happy.

Second - I have no problems about MBS for supply depots and defenses and stuff. Only a a problem with buildings that produce having MBS.
maybenexttime
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Poland5876 Posts
March 01 2008 09:31 GMT
#179
I wold if it wasn't macro-related. I don't want, for example, creeping to replace intense macro... :O
Unentschieden
Profile Joined August 2007
Germany1471 Posts
March 01 2008 11:37 GMT
#180
On March 01 2008 11:24 HamerD wrote:
And talking about why does it have to stay for SC2, clearly we should all want SC2 to have the good features of SC?! Do you want to see SC2 more like wc3 than sc? Or more like any of the other supremely shit westernised instant-gratification noobfest other games? Granted cnc and dow aren't supremely shit lol but they are still a whole rung below sc imho.


Of course SC2 should either have the good features of SC or replace them with even better ones. I think that (among others) the UI aspect related to Building control could be improved.

MBS is not a defining feature of WC3, some here argue that it doesn´t even have a effect on WC3 at all. To make SC2 like WC3 more than SC you´d have to add other features like experience gaining, upkeep, drastically increased unit survivability as well as a basic "1 skill per unit or more" design basic.

Gratification is key to have the Players keep playing. Ladders serve that function for example. Changing the game to become like C&C or DOW would be even more radical than turning it into "WC3 in space".
They do have merits that are not to be dismissed. C&C3 for example lets you "Battlecast" matches so that everyone can watch it live even after it had begunn. Also you can edit replays.


Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 27 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
PRO & GOSU #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
IndyStarCraft 266
EmSc Tv 9
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21041
Calm 2219
Shuttle 332
White-Ra 178
Mini 173
ZZZero.O 134
firebathero 72
soO 10
Sacsri 7
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1537
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4278
Liquid`Hasu616
Other Games
summit1g7308
Liquid`RaSZi2219
FrodaN1606
fl0m1478
olofmeister1061
B2W.Neo834
RotterdaM637
Beastyqt358
crisheroes325
Livibee210
Pyrionflax189
Mew2King60
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick964
BasetradeTV203
StarCraft 2
angryscii 27
EmSc Tv 9
EmSc2Tv 9
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 16
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki40
• blackmanpl 20
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1460
• Shiphtur675
• WagamamaTV357
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 47m
Replay Cast
2h 47m
OSC
15h 47m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 14h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.