• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:06
CEST 03:06
KST 10:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War385.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9638 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 10065

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10063 10064 10065 10066 10067 10093 Next
Read the rules in the OP before posting, please.

In order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a re-read to refresh your memory! The vast majority of you are contributing in a healthy way, keep it up!

NOTE: When providing a source, explain why you feel it is relevant and what purpose it adds to the discussion if it's not obvious.
Also take note that unsubstantiated tweets/posts meant only to rekindle old arguments can result in a mod action.
Wegandi
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2455 Posts
March 15 2018 07:48 GMT
#201281
On March 15 2018 16:35 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 15 2018 16:28 Wegandi wrote:
That sounds great, but who is going to investigate murders and crimes with victims who aren't immediately identifiable (or property crimes/white-collar)? You're talking about people patrolling, but unpaid and without the necessary resources to handle disputes. Like, this is even more utopian than Communism. Someone steals a car - how do they have any capacity to investigate this?

The biggest problem - you're not addressing the #1 point of police. They're there to enforce statutory law - that's their purpose. They enforce like Tie Domi did, whatever the hell gets written and passed in legislatures, commissions, etc. How are you going to keep the status quo of statutory law and then abolish the mechanism that enforces it? It's schizophrenic imho.

I'm with you on abolishing Government police, but your solution is naive and doesn't address the boogeyman.



^^ this is what I'm talking about by greatly overestimating how well police do these things. No one said they wouldn't have resources either.

I feel like all of those were addressed in there, though not all especially expounded on. The article has some links to go with it too that can provide additional context/detail.


No, I think police are absolute shit and have a perverse incentive structure, but your solutions are even more anemic (not all mind you, but the overarching ideas) and counter-productive. I'll have to take a look again, but I didn't see anything about how these unpaid "patrols" are going to enforce statutory laws. It wasn't even mentioned at all - which isn't surprising. Instead of side-stepping my arguments, how about you address them? I'm curious how you're going to accomplish to abolish the enforcement arm of the statutory law process and yet keep the statutory law process intact. It's fascinating and I'm eager to hear you out here.
Thank you bureaucrats for all your hard work, your commitment to public service and public good is essential to the lives of so many. Also, for Pete's sake can we please get some gun control already, no need for hand guns and assault rifles for the public
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24385 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-15 07:58:14
March 15 2018 07:57 GMT
#201282
On March 15 2018 16:48 Wegandi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 15 2018 16:35 GreenHorizons wrote:
On March 15 2018 16:28 Wegandi wrote:
That sounds great, but who is going to investigate murders and crimes with victims who aren't immediately identifiable (or property crimes/white-collar)? You're talking about people patrolling, but unpaid and without the necessary resources to handle disputes. Like, this is even more utopian than Communism. Someone steals a car - how do they have any capacity to investigate this?

The biggest problem - you're not addressing the #1 point of police. They're there to enforce statutory law - that's their purpose. They enforce like Tie Domi did, whatever the hell gets written and passed in legislatures, commissions, etc. How are you going to keep the status quo of statutory law and then abolish the mechanism that enforces it? It's schizophrenic imho.

I'm with you on abolishing Government police, but your solution is naive and doesn't address the boogeyman.



^^ this is what I'm talking about by greatly overestimating how well police do these things. No one said they wouldn't have resources either.

I feel like all of those were addressed in there, though not all especially expounded on. The article has some links to go with it too that can provide additional context/detail.


No, I think police are absolute shit and have a perverse incentive structure, but your solutions are even more anemic (not all mind you, but the overarching ideas) and counter-productive. I'll have to take a look again, but I didn't see anything about how these unpaid "patrols" are going to enforce statutory laws. It wasn't even mentioned at all - which isn't surprising. Instead of side-stepping my arguments, how about you address them? I'm curious how you're going to accomplish to abolish the enforcement arm of the statutory law process and yet keep the statutory law process intact. It's fascinating and I'm eager to hear you out here.


I'm not exactly sure what you mean 'enforce statutory laws'. If you want to clarify, I think I might be able to help you. The 'enforce' part
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Wegandi
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2455 Posts
March 15 2018 08:00 GMT
#201283
On March 15 2018 16:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 15 2018 16:48 Wegandi wrote:
On March 15 2018 16:35 GreenHorizons wrote:
On March 15 2018 16:28 Wegandi wrote:
That sounds great, but who is going to investigate murders and crimes with victims who aren't immediately identifiable (or property crimes/white-collar)? You're talking about people patrolling, but unpaid and without the necessary resources to handle disputes. Like, this is even more utopian than Communism. Someone steals a car - how do they have any capacity to investigate this?

The biggest problem - you're not addressing the #1 point of police. They're there to enforce statutory law - that's their purpose. They enforce like Tie Domi did, whatever the hell gets written and passed in legislatures, commissions, etc. How are you going to keep the status quo of statutory law and then abolish the mechanism that enforces it? It's schizophrenic imho.

I'm with you on abolishing Government police, but your solution is naive and doesn't address the boogeyman.



^^ this is what I'm talking about by greatly overestimating how well police do these things. No one said they wouldn't have resources either.

I feel like all of those were addressed in there, though not all especially expounded on. The article has some links to go with it too that can provide additional context/detail.


No, I think police are absolute shit and have a perverse incentive structure, but your solutions are even more anemic (not all mind you, but the overarching ideas) and counter-productive. I'll have to take a look again, but I didn't see anything about how these unpaid "patrols" are going to enforce statutory laws. It wasn't even mentioned at all - which isn't surprising. Instead of side-stepping my arguments, how about you address them? I'm curious how you're going to accomplish to abolish the enforcement arm of the statutory law process and yet keep the statutory law process intact. It's fascinating and I'm eager to hear you out here.


I'm not exactly sure what you mean 'enforce statutory laws'. If you want to clarify, I think I might be able to help you. The 'enforce' part


Who do you think enforces the laws written in your legislature?
Thank you bureaucrats for all your hard work, your commitment to public service and public good is essential to the lives of so many. Also, for Pete's sake can we please get some gun control already, no need for hand guns and assault rifles for the public
FueledUpAndReadyToGo
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
Netherlands30548 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-15 08:20:05
March 15 2018 08:05 GMT
#201284
On March 15 2018 14:18 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 15 2018 13:12 Golgotha wrote:
Trump is fucked. That white house has become the most toxic work environment in history. Turnover rate is nearly fifty fucking percent.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/14/more-white-house-departures-could-be-coming--heres-who-to-watch.html

But apparently people still think everything is fine.


From a bird's eye view, it looks like people are being asked to do things most people would not be comfortable with. They refuse. They end up fired. If Trump hires people who are willing to do his bullshit, I guess they won't leave?

In 3 years the whole government will only have people left who don't care about the responsibility of their job but only about having the job title, by massaging Trumps wishes even if harmful for the country
Neosteel Enthusiast
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24385 Posts
March 15 2018 08:11 GMT
#201285
On March 15 2018 17:00 Wegandi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 15 2018 16:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
On March 15 2018 16:48 Wegandi wrote:
On March 15 2018 16:35 GreenHorizons wrote:
On March 15 2018 16:28 Wegandi wrote:
That sounds great, but who is going to investigate murders and crimes with victims who aren't immediately identifiable (or property crimes/white-collar)? You're talking about people patrolling, but unpaid and without the necessary resources to handle disputes. Like, this is even more utopian than Communism. Someone steals a car - how do they have any capacity to investigate this?

The biggest problem - you're not addressing the #1 point of police. They're there to enforce statutory law - that's their purpose. They enforce like Tie Domi did, whatever the hell gets written and passed in legislatures, commissions, etc. How are you going to keep the status quo of statutory law and then abolish the mechanism that enforces it? It's schizophrenic imho.

I'm with you on abolishing Government police, but your solution is naive and doesn't address the boogeyman.



^^ this is what I'm talking about by greatly overestimating how well police do these things. No one said they wouldn't have resources either.

I feel like all of those were addressed in there, though not all especially expounded on. The article has some links to go with it too that can provide additional context/detail.


No, I think police are absolute shit and have a perverse incentive structure, but your solutions are even more anemic (not all mind you, but the overarching ideas) and counter-productive. I'll have to take a look again, but I didn't see anything about how these unpaid "patrols" are going to enforce statutory laws. It wasn't even mentioned at all - which isn't surprising. Instead of side-stepping my arguments, how about you address them? I'm curious how you're going to accomplish to abolish the enforcement arm of the statutory law process and yet keep the statutory law process intact. It's fascinating and I'm eager to hear you out here.


I'm not exactly sure what you mean 'enforce statutory laws'. If you want to clarify, I think I might be able to help you. The 'enforce' part


Who do you think enforces the laws written in your legislature?


That's not my question. My question is what do you mean when you say 'enforce'. I'm asking the human actions you're talking about them performing.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Wegandi
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2455 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-15 08:27:09
March 15 2018 08:25 GMT
#201286
On March 15 2018 17:11 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 15 2018 17:00 Wegandi wrote:
On March 15 2018 16:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
On March 15 2018 16:48 Wegandi wrote:
On March 15 2018 16:35 GreenHorizons wrote:
On March 15 2018 16:28 Wegandi wrote:
That sounds great, but who is going to investigate murders and crimes with victims who aren't immediately identifiable (or property crimes/white-collar)? You're talking about people patrolling, but unpaid and without the necessary resources to handle disputes. Like, this is even more utopian than Communism. Someone steals a car - how do they have any capacity to investigate this?

The biggest problem - you're not addressing the #1 point of police. They're there to enforce statutory law - that's their purpose. They enforce like Tie Domi did, whatever the hell gets written and passed in legislatures, commissions, etc. How are you going to keep the status quo of statutory law and then abolish the mechanism that enforces it? It's schizophrenic imho.

I'm with you on abolishing Government police, but your solution is naive and doesn't address the boogeyman.



^^ this is what I'm talking about by greatly overestimating how well police do these things. No one said they wouldn't have resources either.

I feel like all of those were addressed in there, though not all especially expounded on. The article has some links to go with it too that can provide additional context/detail.


No, I think police are absolute shit and have a perverse incentive structure, but your solutions are even more anemic (not all mind you, but the overarching ideas) and counter-productive. I'll have to take a look again, but I didn't see anything about how these unpaid "patrols" are going to enforce statutory laws. It wasn't even mentioned at all - which isn't surprising. Instead of side-stepping my arguments, how about you address them? I'm curious how you're going to accomplish to abolish the enforcement arm of the statutory law process and yet keep the statutory law process intact. It's fascinating and I'm eager to hear you out here.


I'm not exactly sure what you mean 'enforce statutory laws'. If you want to clarify, I think I might be able to help you. The 'enforce' part


Who do you think enforces the laws written in your legislature?


That's not my question. My question is what do you mean when you say 'enforce'. I'm asking the human actions you're talking about them performing.


The human action is some combination of arrests, investigation, database maintenance, etc. It also depends on the state as well. Are you in favor of doing away with traffic laws? If not, how are these community unpaid patrols going to handle that? Police also enforce evictions, warrants, and any violations of the 10 million and one laws on the books. In other words, these unpaid patrols going to go arrest non-compliant people for stuff like licensing, or are you in favor of getting rid of licensing? Something tells me you're not someone who wants to slash 99% of the laws on the books, but maybe I'm wrong here.

PS: I don't have much confidence in homicide detectives ability to do the job well, but I'm even less confident in unpaid community patrols being effective investigators of such things.
Thank you bureaucrats for all your hard work, your commitment to public service and public good is essential to the lives of so many. Also, for Pete's sake can we please get some gun control already, no need for hand guns and assault rifles for the public
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24385 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-15 08:30:43
March 15 2018 08:29 GMT
#201287
On March 15 2018 17:25 Wegandi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 15 2018 17:11 GreenHorizons wrote:
On March 15 2018 17:00 Wegandi wrote:
On March 15 2018 16:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
On March 15 2018 16:48 Wegandi wrote:
On March 15 2018 16:35 GreenHorizons wrote:
On March 15 2018 16:28 Wegandi wrote:
That sounds great, but who is going to investigate murders and crimes with victims who aren't immediately identifiable (or property crimes/white-collar)? You're talking about people patrolling, but unpaid and without the necessary resources to handle disputes. Like, this is even more utopian than Communism. Someone steals a car - how do they have any capacity to investigate this?

The biggest problem - you're not addressing the #1 point of police. They're there to enforce statutory law - that's their purpose. They enforce like Tie Domi did, whatever the hell gets written and passed in legislatures, commissions, etc. How are you going to keep the status quo of statutory law and then abolish the mechanism that enforces it? It's schizophrenic imho.

I'm with you on abolishing Government police, but your solution is naive and doesn't address the boogeyman.



^^ this is what I'm talking about by greatly overestimating how well police do these things. No one said they wouldn't have resources either.

I feel like all of those were addressed in there, though not all especially expounded on. The article has some links to go with it too that can provide additional context/detail.


No, I think police are absolute shit and have a perverse incentive structure, but your solutions are even more anemic (not all mind you, but the overarching ideas) and counter-productive. I'll have to take a look again, but I didn't see anything about how these unpaid "patrols" are going to enforce statutory laws. It wasn't even mentioned at all - which isn't surprising. Instead of side-stepping my arguments, how about you address them? I'm curious how you're going to accomplish to abolish the enforcement arm of the statutory law process and yet keep the statutory law process intact. It's fascinating and I'm eager to hear you out here.


I'm not exactly sure what you mean 'enforce statutory laws'. If you want to clarify, I think I might be able to help you. The 'enforce' part


Who do you think enforces the laws written in your legislature?


That's not my question. My question is what do you mean when you say 'enforce'. I'm asking the human actions you're talking about them performing.


The human action is some combination of arrests, investigation, database maintenance, etc. It also depends on the state as well. Are you in favor of doing away with traffic laws? If not, how are these community unpaid patrols going to handle that? Police also enforce evictions, warrants, and any violations of the 10 million and one laws on the books. In other words, these unpaid patrols going to go arrest non-compliant people for stuff like licensing, or are you in favor of getting rid of licensing? Something tells me you're not someone who wants to slash 99% of the laws on the books, but maybe I'm wrong here.


I'm kinda confused. You think the police aren't doing a good job (or even doing some of these at all in some cases) but rather than build a community based system you want individually privately owned police? Is that what you're getting at? Because the core of what I'm talking about is changing how those are currently done almost entirely.

If your fear is people will be breaking traffic laws and there won't be investigations, I have some bad news to tell you about what we have currently.


EDIT:Why do you think the people doing this work (or it's replacement) wouldn't/shouldn't get paid btw?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Falling
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada11607 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-15 08:51:15
March 15 2018 08:48 GMT
#201288
Then who is paying these community patrols? And how integrated are these community patrols with each other when one criminal bounces to the next city? Also what stops a community patrol from simply being the criminal syndicate, rather than a defence against it?
ModeratorWake me up when Trump's term is finished. Slava Ukraini.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24385 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-15 09:08:13
March 15 2018 08:54 GMT
#201289
On March 15 2018 17:48 Falling wrote:
Then who is paying these community patrols? And how integrated are these community patrols with each other when one criminal bounces to the next city? Also what stops a community patrol from simply being the criminal syndicate, rather than a defence against it?


I'm happy to keep answering questions, but it should be noted that my larger point isn't to lay out a comprehensive alternative plan to policing as we know it from budgeting out line items for investigations to implementing it legislatively, but that instead of accepting that what we have (or probably whatever wegandi is imagining we replace it with) a failing system and tinkering around the edges, we need to be talking about how we do a full tear-down and new construction.

Knowing that my ideas aren't the only ideas, I can tell you what I think. But we should pay attention to the fact that of the suggestions outlined by the Rolling Stone article, the community patrols was the one I expressed skepticism about for the reasons mentioned in the piece and you mention there.

If you're prepared to engage with that in mind, I'll indulge you.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-15 10:32:34
March 15 2018 10:30 GMT
#201290
One has to wonder with all this turnover is Trump making more enemies than friends especially when he stabs them in the back. Powerful figures as well: Priebus, Bannon, Tillerson.

All possibly waiting for the moment to back Pence for POTUS during a domestic crisis.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
A3th3r
Profile Blog Joined September 2014
United States319 Posts
March 15 2018 10:38 GMT
#201291
On March 15 2018 11:06 Plansix wrote:


This seems like a promising candidate. Rising young star in the Republican movement. By the way, in any case, yes, you are overestimating how much the police can do by a large margin.
stale trite schlub
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
March 15 2018 10:54 GMT
#201292
James Comey’s book is getting the Harry Potter treatment.

“A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies and Leadership,” the upcoming memoir from former FBI director James Comey, is set for publication on April 18 — and with anticipation rivaling that of the cult children’s favorite, the publisher is taking extreme precautions to prevent potentially explosive revelations detailing Comey’s interactions with President Donald Trump from leaking.

Instead of circulating multiple print drafts among the editors and agents working on the book, the publisher, Flatiron Books, has implemented a password-protected electronic system so that only those involved in the project have access to it.

The project is stored under a code name so that staffers who are not involved in the project wouldn’t know where to find it if they tried. At warehouses that will ship out copies of the book, workers are being asked to sign nondisclosure agreements, according to people familiar with the procedures.

And while books typically ship out from warehouses about two weeks before their official publication dates — sometimes landing on bookstore shelves days early — the shipping date for Comey’s book is expected to be moved closer to the publication date to keep a tighter lid on the physical copies.

The Comey book is set to land just as the frenzy surrounding Michael Wolff’s tell-all ”Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House” has settled down. Like Wolff’s book, Comey’s is expected to provide an inside-the-room account of how Trump’s White House functions — but without the overarching questions about the author’s credibility casting a shadow over its contents.

Aside from his public testimony before Congress, Comey has been disciplined in remaining virtually silent about his past interactions with the president, or the developments in special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation — even though it was the circumstances of his termination that are at the core of questions about whether the president tried to obstruct justice.

Last month, Comey tweeted a book teaser: a picture of himself in a recording studio, where he has been working on his audiobook: “Lordy, this time there will be a tape. Audio book almost finished,” he wrote online, a reference to his reaction, during his appearance before the Senate Intelligence Committee last June, to Trump’s suggestion that he had tapes of their conversations.

But mostly, Comey’s feed has featured enigmatic pictures of the back of his head in various locations: in front of the Statue of Liberty; in a cornfield in Iowa; and sitting in front of the Comey family Christmas tree.

The quiet before the storm is helping to build anticipation: The book is already Amazon’s No. 1 bestseller in three categories: politics & social sciences; law; and biography.

The book is expected to provide the former FBI director’s first full accounting since he was fired of his experience working under Trump, as well as an account of his time serving in the previous two administrations.


Source
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
iamthedave
Profile Joined February 2011
England2814 Posts
March 15 2018 12:34 GMT
#201293
Even if he hadn't been involved in this fuckfest of an administration, that book sounds like it'd be really interesting reading.
I'm not bad at Starcraft; I just think winning's rude.
Ryzel
Profile Joined December 2012
United States568 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-15 13:38:26
March 15 2018 13:09 GMT
#201294
On March 15 2018 17:54 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 15 2018 17:48 Falling wrote:
Then who is paying these community patrols? And how integrated are these community patrols with each other when one criminal bounces to the next city? Also what stops a community patrol from simply being the criminal syndicate, rather than a defence against it?


I'm happy to keep answering questions, but it should be noted that my larger point isn't to lay out a comprehensive alternative plan to policing as we know it from budgeting out line items for investigations to implementing it legislatively, but that instead of accepting that what we have (or probably whatever wegandi is imagining we replace it with) a failing system and tinkering around the edges, we need to be talking about how we do a full tear-down and new construction.

Knowing that my ideas aren't the only ideas, I can tell you what I think. But we should pay attention to the fact that of the suggestions outlined by the Rolling Stone article, the community patrols was the one I expressed skepticism about for the reasons mentioned in the piece and you mention there.

If you're prepared to engage with that in mind, I'll indulge you.


Right, but one can't do a full tear-down and reconstruction without precise blueprints of what's going up in its place, which is what the comprehensive questions are trying to flesh out.

I'm also curious to hear you out on your specific ideas. When you say abolishing police, are you referring to abolishing the idea of systemized enforcement of law? Is the FBI subject to this as well? If not, why not?

EDIT - For the sake of clarity, I'm defining "systemized enforcement of law" as a unified, overarching authority empowered (presumably by the federal/state governments) to compel all individuals to observe/comply with the law.
Hakuna Matata B*tches
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
March 15 2018 13:16 GMT
#201295
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
March 15 2018 13:16 GMT
#201296
Comey’s memoirs would have been worth reading for the John Ashcroft saga alone
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24385 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-15 13:47:15
March 15 2018 13:35 GMT
#201297
On March 15 2018 22:09 Ryzel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 15 2018 17:54 GreenHorizons wrote:
On March 15 2018 17:48 Falling wrote:
Then who is paying these community patrols? And how integrated are these community patrols with each other when one criminal bounces to the next city? Also what stops a community patrol from simply being the criminal syndicate, rather than a defence against it?


I'm happy to keep answering questions, but it should be noted that my larger point isn't to lay out a comprehensive alternative plan to policing as we know it from budgeting out line items for investigations to implementing it legislatively, but that instead of accepting that what we have (or probably whatever wegandi is imagining we replace it with) a failing system and tinkering around the edges, we need to be talking about how we do a full tear-down and new construction.

Knowing that my ideas aren't the only ideas, I can tell you what I think. But we should pay attention to the fact that of the suggestions outlined by the Rolling Stone article, the community patrols was the one I expressed skepticism about for the reasons mentioned in the piece and you mention there.

If you're prepared to engage with that in mind, I'll indulge you.


Right, but one can't do a full tear-down and reconstruction without precise blueprints of what's going up in its place, which is what the comprehensive questions are trying to flesh out.

I'm also curious to hear you out on your specific ideas. When you say abolishing police, are you referring to abolishing the idea of systemized enforcement of law? Is the FBI subject to this as well? If not, why not?


I would seriously hope folks wouldn't expect that here or from myself. That's something we build as a society, but we have to want to build it. It's like saying, yeah the hoover damn sounds like it might be a good idea, but have you (some guy saying it's a good direction at a forum) drawn the blue prints, and bid out the labor yet??? No, but I can give you some ball park figures, explain the general concept to you, and point you to the people who could answer your more specific questions (or work with you to find them) if you pay them to do the work.

I'm like a self-taught/experience based engineer at best in this example. So I can give you answers at that level or refer you to more in-depth explanations to what you're asking.

But I can tell the tone of the discussion (at least from the previous posters) wasn't after that. They were after undermining the idea that of the two paths we should choose abolishing the police by trying to say that since we/I don't have it all figured out we/I shouldn't be working toward it rather than preserving police.

As to your question about the FBI, that's a little different. But for some of the same reasons, particularly it's foundation on illegal and immoral practices, I'd be in favor of firing everyone there and hiring replacements (some people who pass new screening/mission/tactics/etc... can be readmitted).
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
March 15 2018 14:40 GMT
#201298
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12570 Posts
March 15 2018 14:47 GMT
#201299
On March 15 2018 23:40 Doodsmack wrote:
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/974287873548615681


Wow this didn't travel fast, it's been on Twitter for a while.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYH7zpBWkAAkoM3.jpg:large
No will to live, no wish to die
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
March 15 2018 14:49 GMT
#201300
I'm sure he was grief stricken.

President Trump’s administration imposed sanctions on a series of Russian organizations and individuals on Thursday in retaliation for interference in the 2016 presidential elections and other “malicious” cyberattacks. It was the most significant action taken against Moscow since Mr. Trump took office.

The sanctions came at the same time the Trump administration joined a collective statement with Britain, France and Germany on Thursday denouncing Russia for its apparent role in a nerve gas attack on a former Russian spy and his daughter on British soil, calling it a “clear violation” of international law. But the statement included no joint action in response.

The American sanctions announced on Thursday targeted many of the same Russian organizations and operatives identified by Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel, in an indictment that outlined an audacious attempt to spread disinformation and propaganda to disrupt American democracy and, eventually, influence the vote on behalf of Mr. Trump. The sanctions also responded to other cyberattacks, including a previously undisclosed attempt to penetrate the American energy grid.

“The administration is confronting and countering malign Russian cyberactivity, including their attempted interference in U.S. elections, destructive cyberattacks, and intrusions targeting critical infrastructure,” Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a statement. “These targeted sanctions are a part of a broader effort to address the ongoing nefarious attacks emanating from Russia.”

The sanctions, targeting five Russian organizations and 19 individuals, will generally block them from traveling to the United States, freeze any assets in the country and bar American businesses and individuals from doing business with them. Among the organizations sanctioned were the Federal Security Service, the successor to the K.G.B. known by its Russian acronym F.S.B., and Russian military intelligence, known as G.R.U., although they, like a few others, were previously penalized under past actions for the intervention in Ukraine.

In addition to the election meddling, the attacks cited by the Treasury Department included the NotPetya cyberattack that caused billions of dollars in damage in the United States, Europe and Asia in what the department called “the most destructive and costly cyberattack in history.”

The action came a day after Britain expelled 23 Russian diplomats and announced other measures in response to the poisoning attack but its allies announced no similar efforts.

“This use of a military-grade nerve agent, of a type developed by Russia, constitutes the first offensive use of a nerve agent in Europe since the Second World War,” the statement said. “It is an assault on the United Kingdom’s sovereignty and any such use by a state party is a clear violation of the Chemical Weapons Convention and a breach of international law. It threatens the security of us all.”

The statement indicated that the United States and other allies backed Britain’s conclusion about Moscow’s responsibility. “We share the United Kingdom’s assessment that there is no plausible alternative explanation, and note that Russia’s failure to address the legitimate request by the government of the United Kingdom further underlines Russia’s responsibility,” it said.


Source
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
Prev 1 10063 10064 10065 10066 10067 10093 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings99
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE157
SpeCial 134
StarCraft: Brood War
Bale 25
Sharp 11
Dota 2
monkeys_forever584
NeuroSwarm193
League of Legends
Doublelift4730
Counter-Strike
taco 323
Other Games
summit1g6929
JimRising 467
C9.Mang0352
ToD95
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick682
StarCraft 2
BasetradeTV167
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 99
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP78
• poizon28 39
• davetesta24
• Adnapsc2 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Scarra1
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
8h 54m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
15h 54m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
17h 54m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 8h
Patches Events
1d 13h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.