• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:41
CEST 22:41
KST 05:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6280 users

WTF are people hating on? - Page 8

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 27 Next All
Alexj
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Ukraine440 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-24 07:47:37
May 24 2012 07:46 GMT
#141
nuked
More GGs, more skill
MadVillian
Profile Joined September 2011
United States127 Posts
May 24 2012 07:46 GMT
#142
Day9 seems to try too hard to be someone else in my opinion. I feel like he tries to bottle up his personality and plays a front of a super happy teletubbie. Am I the only one that thinks this?
In there like swimwear.
r4pture
Profile Joined May 2011
United States397 Posts
May 24 2012 07:47 GMT
#143
On May 24 2012 16:29 r4pture wrote:
While I don't "hate" Day[9], I find him kind of fake. "Day[9]" is a completely persona different from Sean Plott, which I remember him actually stating in a Daily (when asked about if he would be put off by an interested female fan for a relationship, he said yes, stating Day[9] and Sean Plott are different people and she would only know the Day[9] persona).

I haven't watched the daily in some time because of this (except for maybe a Funday once in awhile) and would rather watch other streams (Destiny for example) of people being themselves, even if others don't like it. Day[9] very much made a character, almost Stephen Colbert-esq in a reimagining of himself. It doesn't feel natural to me so it just doesn't interest me.

The statements coming from 2GD, Richard and IdrA (whom, keep in mind, I'm no fan of) kind of add to that for me. I hardly think he needs to be lynched for it, but he needs to be re-examined perhaps. Day[9] is not the great superman savior of eSports who a lot of people think he is. Hes done a lot and put up some good stuff, but the sheer amount of praise and worship he gets is absolutely ridiculous.

Then again, I'm in the mindset that no one in eSports is a messiah, very few people do it "for eSports", they do it for their paycheck, which is fine, but masking it as doing some kind of greater good is dishonest and people I think are starting to get wind of that.


Quoting myself to add that I find the complete and utter refusal to show ANY of his playing in anything besides utter silliness is disappointing at least, perhaps dishonest at most. No one here has ever seen Sean play seriously. Its never been shown, and likely never will be. I simply don't understand why people worship a Starcraft figure they've never actually seen play Starcraft.
http://teamfortress.tv - For your TF2 streaming and discussion needs!
Hoodlum
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States350 Posts
May 24 2012 07:47 GMT
#144
So wait the whole premise of the hate is that he is having success? I truly don't understand... He doesn't force people to give him money so what is the problem..? I never would have heard of SC II if it wasn't for Day 9, I wish him all the success in the world! Day you deserve every dime and then some, <3 for what you do and keep on keepin on!!
xO gaming owner
fraktoasters
Profile Joined January 2011
United States617 Posts
May 24 2012 07:47 GMT
#145
On May 24 2012 16:26 coolcor wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On May 24 2012 15:56 Jockmcplop wrote:
Coolcor you're missing the point completely. Use your common sense. The people who donate don't do so out of some sense of duty to Sean as a person, they do it because they enjoy the content, and believe that it deserves to be paid for. Some people simply subscribe so that they get a chance to take part in the monobattles. That little bit of text is what has caused all of this?
How pathetic.


No look at that page that is not the subscription link. http://day9.tv/tipjar/

It is below the subscription link and it is for people who are already subscribing to give even more. Thats why is says "offer additional support" Anyone who does it is not doing it for monobattles.

If the people do give him money just because they enjoy the content day9 has no reason to say

"The subscription revenue, while helpful, only partially defrays the cost of operating Day[9]TV."


Why is day9 implying his business loses money? If his business is not losing money this is a very misleading sentence. Thats what I don't like it is misleading your most loyal fans to get more money that they would not give if they had more correct information.

f you have the means to offer additional support so that Day[9] can continue his efforts to grow eSports,


He does not say the donation is to thank him for enjoying his content. It is to continue to grow esports. A very vague goal with no meaning besides imply he'd stop his efforts without donations. Would he quit esports all together without donations? I doubt it so I also find this misleading.

In conclusion I don't think is nice to write very misleading statements when asking for donations. Non misleading donation requests are ok because the donor has true information to make their decision.


The attacks on Day[9] are frivolous even for esports witch hunts. You guys should just turn your hunt to someone else.
Insane
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States4991 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-24 07:48:43
May 24 2012 07:48 GMT
#146
On May 24 2012 16:17 Xeris wrote:
This whole thread is stupid. Even if Day9 has been rude to a guy before (whether that story is true or untrue), who hasn't? It happens sometimes. Especially during a LAN event where you're working A LOT (Dreamhack notoriously over-works the casters) and are absolutely exhausted at the end of the day, maybe you let something slip and do something you might regret later. Everyone does stupid things, and celebrities are no exception. Either way, that incident is: a) not a big deal, everyone's been in the situation before, b) unfortunate that it's even come this far (trust me I know).

I also think it's silly that people talk about his persona being fake. It actually isn't at all. I've known Sean since 2005, we used to car-pool to SoCal LAN events together, I was his manager on the USA national team in BW, and I'd have to call him every weekend to make sure he showed up to matches because he always overslept. He's always been the same. What you see when he's on camera isn't a persona, it's just how he is. He loves Starcraft. He literally can't stop talking about it. I remember when I was practicing for WGF 2008 and I wanted advice on build orders I called Sean and we talked for a longass time about a specific PvZ build on Requiem (you can read about it here, from one of his first ever podcasts: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=99950). He'll talk about Starcraft with anyone. He used to have OSL/MSL viewing parties at his apartment when he went to USC, he played for the USC CSL team in Season 1, he coached their CSL team in Season 2.

He's casted for CSL every season and he does it because he's a good guy. I can name other casters who are less famous than him who when I approached them about CSL the first thing they asked was "what's the pay." I've literally never heard that question come out of Sean's mouth. Whether it's casting for a community endeavor like the CSL or a big league like the NASL, the first thing he says is "omg awesome, more SC casting... I hope it fits into my schedule." That's what separates him from other people and it's why he's an amazing person and how he's been able to be so successful. He doesn't let things like money drive him, he lets his passion drive him. The money comes as a byproduct.

And I'm sure he makes money from SC - this is his full time job. He has employees and staff that help him plan events, do bookings, and help promote esports. He pays these people out of his pocket with money that he earns. He also has to live, too.

I literally can't say enough about how amazing Sean is as a person, friend, and anchor/spokesperson of our community. People need to back off and realize that everyone has their bad days, and it's really hard to put on a daily show the way he does. So ya, he's not fake at all.. he's just genuinely addicted to this game, he lives and breathes it! :D

He's also really funny, which helps a lot :D

To be clear, I have no problem with him making money from SC2 if people are willing to give him money. Claims about whether he's actually passionate, or whether he's merely making money off it because he can, are somewhat up for grabs. Korean progamers who play SC2 switched in many cases purely because they had a higher chance of success and of making money (I'm not referring to the KeSPA switch now, but back near the start of SC2). I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but it's good to acknowledge the truth at least.

I don't think anyone denies that he had a big passion for BW. That said, the way he handles SC2 vs BW is completely different. In BW, he was always primarily a player. He played the game publicly (well, as publicly as BW was played; there weren't all the streams back then ), and was quite good at it. As someone who also played the game a lot because I loved doing so (not that I was near as good as he was), it's tough for me to comprehend that someone who enjoyed playing the game so much would suddenly be content to switch to a different game and be equally passionate, and yet not get involved in playing it the same way.

Obviously I don't have any actual decisive evidence in either direction. I'm not a Day[9] hater (although I wouldn't classify myself as a Day[9] lover either), but I certainly can't proclaim that he does it for the love of the game; numerous things, from the way AHGL was run, to his complete lack of (apparent) playing, say to me that a large part of his motivation for how he acts is money, not some great love of the game.

And there's nothing wrong with that, I just like to call an apple an apple.
Jinsho
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom3101 Posts
May 24 2012 07:49 GMT
#147
If there are several reports about him being an ass at live events, and there are tons of people thinking his show is more about himself than SC2, then maybe there is some truth to it. But no, let's all get up on our high horse and shout loud and clear from all the rooftops: Day9 saved esports, so he may not be criticised.
zefreak
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States2731 Posts
May 24 2012 07:50 GMT
#148
On May 24 2012 16:46 EZBreeZ wrote:
Day9 seems to try too hard to be someone else in my opinion. I feel like he tries to bottle up his personality and plays a front of a super happy teletubbie. Am I the only one that thinks this?


Are you new to the community? Do you even know who Day9 is, or was in BW? He acted the same in 2005 as he does in 2012.

He acts different, but he has always acted that way even before he was making money or was a community figure. Much of the hate is from people who only know him from the daily, and assume his positivity etc is an act.
www.gosu-sc.com - Starcraft News, Strategy and Merchandise
Jinsho
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom3101 Posts
May 24 2012 07:51 GMT
#149
^ Get real. His last daily I watched he spent more time talking about himself and the WACKY things he did than the actual game. This did not use to be the case.
MadVillian
Profile Joined September 2011
United States127 Posts
May 24 2012 07:52 GMT
#150
On May 24 2012 16:17 Xeris wrote:
This whole thread is stupid. Even if Day9 has been rude to a guy before (whether that story is true or untrue), who hasn't? It happens sometimes. Especially during a LAN event where you're working A LOT (Dreamhack notoriously over-works the casters) and are absolutely exhausted at the end of the day, maybe you let something slip and do something you might regret later. Everyone does stupid things, and celebrities are no exception. Either way, that incident is: a) not a big deal, everyone's been in the situation before, b) unfortunate that it's even come this far (trust me I know).

I also think it's silly that people talk about his persona being fake. It actually isn't at all. I've known Sean since 2005, we used to car-pool to SoCal LAN events together, I was his manager on the USA national team in BW, and I'd have to call him every weekend to make sure he showed up to matches because he always overslept. He's always been the same. What you see when he's on camera isn't a persona, it's just how he is. He loves Starcraft. He literally can't stop talking about it. I remember when I was practicing for WGF 2008 and I wanted advice on build orders I called Sean and we talked for a longass time about a specific PvZ build on Requiem (you can read about it here, from one of his first ever podcasts: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=99950). He'll talk about Starcraft with anyone. He used to have OSL/MSL viewing parties at his apartment when he went to USC, he played for the USC CSL team in Season 1, he coached their CSL team in Season 2.

He's casted for CSL every season and he does it because he's a good guy. I can name other casters who are less famous than him who when I approached them about CSL the first thing they asked was "what's the pay." I've literally never heard that question come out of Sean's mouth. Whether it's casting for a community endeavor like the CSL or a big league like the NASL, the first thing he says is "omg awesome, more SC casting... I hope it fits into my schedule." That's what separates him from other people and it's why he's an amazing person and how he's been able to be so successful. He doesn't let things like money drive him, he lets his passion drive him. The money comes as a byproduct.

And I'm sure he makes money from SC - this is his full time job. He has employees and staff that help him plan events, do bookings, and help promote esports. He pays these people out of his pocket with money that he earns. He also has to live, too.

I literally can't say enough about how amazing Sean is as a person, friend, and anchor/spokesperson of our community. People need to back off and realize that everyone has their bad days, and it's really hard to put on a daily show the way he does. So ya, he's not fake at all.. he's just genuinely addicted to this game, he lives and breathes it! :D

He's also really funny, which helps a lot :D


This should be edited into the OP imo.
In there like swimwear.
JayJay_90
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany1632 Posts
May 24 2012 07:52 GMT
#151
On May 24 2012 16:18 Primadog wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 24 2012 16:12 Dodgin wrote:
On May 24 2012 16:11 vulhulla wrote:
OP Here.

Let me clarify some things, since I guess I did a terrible job explaining things.

The purpose of this was to try to say that I am kinda getting sick of being associated with all the shit storms from people on reddit and TL that seem to happen. (Day9 has just been the most recent). I am a person that happily sits at my computer and consumes Starcraft related content, and is quite happy to do so. If there is something that I don't enjoy watching, I don't watch and I move on. When I go over to reddit and read through some of the things that get posted, it just ticks me off most of the time. When the shows discuss said shit storms, I just feel embarrassed about the whole ordeal. Tonight I felt like speaking out for once.

I am just sick of all this drama and was hoping to change a few minds on this subject. If I am just pouring more fuel on the fire, than I apologize. I just don't want to let the assholes win.


Please don't group TL in with Reddit, the users cross over slightly but It's mostly an entirely different group of people on each website.


The last witchhunt that nearly got Quantic's sponsors pulled was primarily led by TL posters, not r/sc. At this point, we don't have high ground to stand on.

QFT, i browse both TL and r/sc (mostly lurking on both) and I feel that lately there has been equal amount or even more ridiculous drama on TL than on reddit. On some occasions r/sc felt like a voice of reason, now what does that tell me about TL...?

The good thing is though, I can't get downvoted here for saying something like that (:

Oh and btw I don't think the two are separated communities, I'm sure there are many people who visit both sites.
dronefarm
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States260 Posts
May 24 2012 07:52 GMT
#152
On May 24 2012 16:17 Xeris wrote:
This whole thread is stupid. Even if Day9 has been rude to a guy before (whether that story is true or untrue), who hasn't? It happens sometimes. Especially during a LAN event where you're working A LOT (Dreamhack notoriously over-works the casters) and are absolutely exhausted at the end of the day, maybe you let something slip and do something you might regret later. Everyone does stupid things, and celebrities are no exception. Either way, that incident is: a) not a big deal, everyone's been in the situation before, b) unfortunate that it's even come this far (trust me I know).

I also think it's silly that people talk about his persona being fake. It actually isn't at all. I've known Sean since 2005, we used to car-pool to SoCal LAN events together, I was his manager on the USA national team in BW, and I'd have to call him every weekend to make sure he showed up to matches because he always overslept. He's always been the same. What you see when he's on camera isn't a persona, it's just how he is. He loves Starcraft. He literally can't stop talking about it. I remember when I was practicing for WGF 2008 and I wanted advice on build orders I called Sean and we talked for a longass time about a specific PvZ build on Requiem (you can read about it here, from one of his first ever podcasts: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=99950). He'll talk about Starcraft with anyone. He used to have OSL/MSL viewing parties at his apartment when he went to USC, he played for the USC CSL team in Season 1, he coached their CSL team in Season 2.

He's casted for CSL every season and he does it because he's a good guy. I can name other casters who are less famous than him who when I approached them about CSL the first thing they asked was "what's the pay." I've literally never heard that question come out of Sean's mouth. Whether it's casting for a community endeavor like the CSL or a big league like the NASL, the first thing he says is "omg awesome, more SC casting... I hope it fits into my schedule." That's what separates him from other people and it's why he's an amazing person and how he's been able to be so successful. He doesn't let things like money drive him, he lets his passion drive him. The money comes as a byproduct.

And I'm sure he makes money from SC - this is his full time job. He has employees and staff that help him plan events, do bookings, and help promote esports. He pays these people out of his pocket with money that he earns. He also has to live, too.

I literally can't say enough about how amazing Sean is as a person, friend, and anchor/spokesperson of our community. People need to back off and realize that everyone has their bad days, and it's really hard to put on a daily show the way he does. So ya, he's not fake at all.. he's just genuinely addicted to this game, he lives and breathes it! :D

He's also really funny, which helps a lot :D


The whole money thing is stupid, because obviously that has no bearing on anything. I think if it's legitimately true that he is pretty rude to staff/production/whatever (as talked about in the article linked on the first page), then it's probably a good thing that it's brought out and he fixes it; not in an esports sense, but as a person. I know I'd be pretty upset if I was some no-name guy working at an esports event and someone was really rude to me but I couldn't say anything about it because it would be career suicide.
If you can chill, chill
Kuni
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Austria765 Posts
May 24 2012 07:53 GMT
#153
In the last 2 years, I have spent more time (in pure hours) getting entertained by Day9, than I have spent with my ex-chick in about the same time span and I do not regret it. I don't give a fuck if he's a millionaire, I don't give a fuck if he's a little pussy diva at events, I don't give a fuck if he's not as real as he was a few years ago anymore to maintain a fitting image for his "area of expertise". Everybody lies.
I am sure many still like Mel Gibson, who likes to drive drunk and throws around anti-Semite comments. Transformers staff members have openly claimed that Megan Fox is a thankless, unfriendly bitch. Now I am sure you'd all still like to bang her like there was no tomorrow.

The people who run all this gaming-soon-to-be-business are no saints. The only person who really, genuinely seems to not have skeletons in the closet is white-ra. Even Grubby, who seems so nice today has, in the past during his wc3 career thrown out pretty hardcore comments to some opponents, calling them german nazi assholes (no 100% quote, browse the web to check the exact conversation).


I'd even watch Day9 if he ate children and ravaged the graves of our ancestors, because I am very much entertained by all the shenanigans he has been doing in the past few years. Awesome !!
bonus vir semper tiro
Primadog
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4411 Posts
May 24 2012 07:53 GMT
#154
What's wrong with the way AHGL was run?
Thank God and gunrun.
Jepsyn
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Canada364 Posts
May 24 2012 07:53 GMT
#155
I have never been the hugest fan of Day[9] just because i dont really like overly happy people... I'm not a hater either though. he does his thing and he does it well.. and im the LAST person to hate on someone for making money so i'm actually gonna defend him here. He does it to make a living, if you don't want to give him money don't. he doesn't come to your work and yell at you
"Wonder what this game would be like if protoss units cost money" - IdrA
RockIronrod
Profile Joined May 2011
Australia1369 Posts
May 24 2012 07:54 GMT
#156
On May 24 2012 16:49 Jinsho wrote:
If there are several reports about him being an ass at live events, and there are tons of people thinking his show is more about himself than SC2, then maybe there is some truth to it. But no, let's all get up on our high horse and shout loud and clear from all the rooftops: Day9 saved esports, so he may not be criticised.

People who know him and have met him are saying he's an okay dude.
Your backup is IdrA.
Primadog
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4411 Posts
May 24 2012 07:54 GMT
#157
On May 24 2012 16:52 dronefarm wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 24 2012 16:17 Xeris wrote:
This whole thread is stupid. Even if Day9 has been rude to a guy before (whether that story is true or untrue), who hasn't? It happens sometimes. Especially during a LAN event where you're working A LOT (Dreamhack notoriously over-works the casters) and are absolutely exhausted at the end of the day, maybe you let something slip and do something you might regret later. Everyone does stupid things, and celebrities are no exception. Either way, that incident is: a) not a big deal, everyone's been in the situation before, b) unfortunate that it's even come this far (trust me I know).

I also think it's silly that people talk about his persona being fake. It actually isn't at all. I've known Sean since 2005, we used to car-pool to SoCal LAN events together, I was his manager on the USA national team in BW, and I'd have to call him every weekend to make sure he showed up to matches because he always overslept. He's always been the same. What you see when he's on camera isn't a persona, it's just how he is. He loves Starcraft. He literally can't stop talking about it. I remember when I was practicing for WGF 2008 and I wanted advice on build orders I called Sean and we talked for a longass time about a specific PvZ build on Requiem (you can read about it here, from one of his first ever podcasts: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=99950). He'll talk about Starcraft with anyone. He used to have OSL/MSL viewing parties at his apartment when he went to USC, he played for the USC CSL team in Season 1, he coached their CSL team in Season 2.

He's casted for CSL every season and he does it because he's a good guy. I can name other casters who are less famous than him who when I approached them about CSL the first thing they asked was "what's the pay." I've literally never heard that question come out of Sean's mouth. Whether it's casting for a community endeavor like the CSL or a big league like the NASL, the first thing he says is "omg awesome, more SC casting... I hope it fits into my schedule." That's what separates him from other people and it's why he's an amazing person and how he's been able to be so successful. He doesn't let things like money drive him, he lets his passion drive him. The money comes as a byproduct.

And I'm sure he makes money from SC - this is his full time job. He has employees and staff that help him plan events, do bookings, and help promote esports. He pays these people out of his pocket with money that he earns. He also has to live, too.

I literally can't say enough about how amazing Sean is as a person, friend, and anchor/spokesperson of our community. People need to back off and realize that everyone has their bad days, and it's really hard to put on a daily show the way he does. So ya, he's not fake at all.. he's just genuinely addicted to this game, he lives and breathes it! :D

He's also really funny, which helps a lot :D


The whole money thing is stupid, because obviously that has no bearing on anything. I think if it's legitimately true that he is pretty rude to staff/production/whatever (as talked about in the article linked on the first page), then it's probably a good thing that it's brought out and he fixes it; not in an esports sense, but as a person. I know I'd be pretty upset if I was some no-name guy working at an esports event and someone was really rude to me but I couldn't say anything about it because it would be career suicide.


As someone who staffed MSI Battlegrounds with Day9 two weeks ago, I'll testify that Day9 do not act as a prima donna with the staff.
Thank God and gunrun.
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
May 24 2012 07:55 GMT
#158
On May 24 2012 16:52 dronefarm wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 24 2012 16:17 Xeris wrote:
This whole thread is stupid. Even if Day9 has been rude to a guy before (whether that story is true or untrue), who hasn't? It happens sometimes. Especially during a LAN event where you're working A LOT (Dreamhack notoriously over-works the casters) and are absolutely exhausted at the end of the day, maybe you let something slip and do something you might regret later. Everyone does stupid things, and celebrities are no exception. Either way, that incident is: a) not a big deal, everyone's been in the situation before, b) unfortunate that it's even come this far (trust me I know).

I also think it's silly that people talk about his persona being fake. It actually isn't at all. I've known Sean since 2005, we used to car-pool to SoCal LAN events together, I was his manager on the USA national team in BW, and I'd have to call him every weekend to make sure he showed up to matches because he always overslept. He's always been the same. What you see when he's on camera isn't a persona, it's just how he is. He loves Starcraft. He literally can't stop talking about it. I remember when I was practicing for WGF 2008 and I wanted advice on build orders I called Sean and we talked for a longass time about a specific PvZ build on Requiem (you can read about it here, from one of his first ever podcasts: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=99950). He'll talk about Starcraft with anyone. He used to have OSL/MSL viewing parties at his apartment when he went to USC, he played for the USC CSL team in Season 1, he coached their CSL team in Season 2.

He's casted for CSL every season and he does it because he's a good guy. I can name other casters who are less famous than him who when I approached them about CSL the first thing they asked was "what's the pay." I've literally never heard that question come out of Sean's mouth. Whether it's casting for a community endeavor like the CSL or a big league like the NASL, the first thing he says is "omg awesome, more SC casting... I hope it fits into my schedule." That's what separates him from other people and it's why he's an amazing person and how he's been able to be so successful. He doesn't let things like money drive him, he lets his passion drive him. The money comes as a byproduct.

And I'm sure he makes money from SC - this is his full time job. He has employees and staff that help him plan events, do bookings, and help promote esports. He pays these people out of his pocket with money that he earns. He also has to live, too.

I literally can't say enough about how amazing Sean is as a person, friend, and anchor/spokesperson of our community. People need to back off and realize that everyone has their bad days, and it's really hard to put on a daily show the way he does. So ya, he's not fake at all.. he's just genuinely addicted to this game, he lives and breathes it! :D

He's also really funny, which helps a lot :D


The whole money thing is stupid, because obviously that has no bearing on anything. I think if it's legitimately true that he is pretty rude to staff/production/whatever (as talked about in the article linked on the first page), then it's probably a good thing that it's brought out and he fixes it; not in an esports sense, but as a person. I know I'd be pretty upset if I was some no-name guy working at an esports event and someone was really rude to me but I couldn't say anything about it because it would be career suicide.


Day9 in my experience was nothing but reasonable and kind. I had the opportunity to meet Day9 at the King of Palantir Tournament where he was casting with Spanishiwa, and off the camera, he was a great guy. He grabbed some beers with the rest of the crew and we relaxed and made small talk. He tried to learn everyone's names even though it was clear that there was no way he'd be able to learn it all, and he was generally just a nice fellow... I don't know what his interactions with other people was, but I've never see him be anything but courteous and kind.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
TheSwamp
Profile Joined November 2010
United States1497 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-24 07:58:18
May 24 2012 07:55 GMT
#159
On May 24 2012 16:50 zefreak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 24 2012 16:46 EZBreeZ wrote:
Day9 seems to try too hard to be someone else in my opinion. I feel like he tries to bottle up his personality and plays a front of a super happy teletubbie. Am I the only one that thinks this?


Are you new to the community? Do you even know who Day9 is, or was in BW? He acted the same in 2005 as he does in 2012.

He acts different, but he has always acted that way even before he was making money or was a community figure. Much of the hate is from people who only know him from the daily, and assume his positivity etc is an act.


Edit: Never mind I actually don't care about this at all.
MLG: How is your Protoss? Idra: I make Blink Stalkers, so really, really good.
Shaddar
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
675 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-24 07:57:55
May 24 2012 07:55 GMT
#160
On May 24 2012 16:54 RockIronrod wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 24 2012 16:49 Jinsho wrote:
If there are several reports about him being an ass at live events, and there are tons of people thinking his show is more about himself than SC2, then maybe there is some truth to it. But no, let's all get up on our high horse and shout loud and clear from all the rooftops: Day9 saved esports, so he may not be criticised.

People who know him and have met him are saying he's an okay dude.
Your backup is IdrA.


Idra said he was a good guy despite criticising him on some things

Edit: And I'm sure Idra would have something to say about someone like 2GD saying Day9 is doing things for himself
Why is Check 6 afraid of Infinity Seven? Because Infinity Seven Team 8 Day [9]
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 27 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 20m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 481
ProTech160
Railgan 72
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 1478
Dewaltoss 142
Trap 27
Bale 14
Dota 2
420jenkins521
Counter-Strike
fl0m4270
Fnx 606
minikerr3
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4578
Liquid`Hasu668
Other Games
summit1g5475
Liquid`RaSZi1812
FrodaN804
B2W.Neo542
XaKoH 245
ToD206
C9.Mang0174
RotterdaM91
QueenE68
JuggernautJason47
Mew2King35
PPMD23
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV216
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream15
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21126
Other Games
• Shiphtur1026
• imaqtpie697
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 20m
Patches Events
19h 20m
The PondCast
1d 13h
INu's Battles
1d 14h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.