• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:40
CEST 20:40
KST 03:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12936 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 24

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 58 Next
Candadar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
2049 Posts
March 13 2012 20:38 GMT
#461
[image loading]

A very interesting read. What I personally like is that he gives no insight on the thought experiments he presents. He simply presents them, and even presents all side pretty equally. They're nothing absolutely mind blowing, but it's an interesting read before bed every night.
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-13 22:36:57
March 13 2012 22:27 GMT
#462
Last one I finished was Slaughterhouse Five which somehow I've never read before. The theme of removal from the immediate effects of reality through four-dimensionalism is something familiar to me though, somehow I've already been half subscribed to it for a while, or at least it's floated around in my head.

Now I'm reading Fathers and Sons by Turgenev. I'm only about 1/5 of the way through but it's grabbed my attention so far, the depiction of progress and inter-generational rifts especially. I can see why it's such a landmark work.

Idea for what I want to read next:
Gogol stories
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
EdaPoe
Profile Joined July 2010
Netherlands82 Posts
March 13 2012 22:30 GMT
#463
Just started

[image loading]
Diizzy
Profile Joined August 2011
United States828 Posts
March 14 2012 02:00 GMT
#464
what are good books? i liked the hunger games. something kinda like that. light read preferably.
Sroobz
Profile Joined December 2011
United States1377 Posts
March 14 2012 02:04 GMT
#465
On March 14 2012 11:00 Diizzy wrote:
what are good books? i liked the hunger games. something kinda like that. light read preferably.


If you liked the hunger games check out Divergent or The Knife of Never Letting Go.
Flash---Taeja---Mvp---Byun---DRG
Amaterasu1234
Profile Joined November 2010
United States317 Posts
March 14 2012 02:10 GMT
#466
[image loading]

This book is changing the way I think about things...it's incredibly insightful.
dAPhREAk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Nauru12397 Posts
March 14 2012 02:16 GMT
#467
On January 12 2012 04:46 dAPhREAk wrote:
just finished Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy.

[image loading]

now i am re-reading Game of Thrones (I read it a long time ago when it was new (insert hipster meme here), but there were only like 2 or 3 books at that point; excited to read some more books, but have to start from the beginning).

[image loading]

quoting myself. love this series. read the first four books the last two months; just got the fifth. wishing he would finish the series.

although, like people have said before, after the third book its starting to get meh....
Probulous
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia3894 Posts
March 14 2012 02:18 GMT
#468
[image loading]

For about the fifth time. I can never get enough of this book
"Dude has some really interesting midgame switches that I wouldn't have expected. "I violated your house" into "HIHO THE DAIRY OH!" really threw me. You don't usually expect children's poetry harass as a follow up " - AmericanUmlaut
NukeTheBunnys
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1004 Posts
March 14 2012 02:19 GMT
#469
[image loading]

and

[image loading]
When you play the game of drones you win or you die.
1Eris1
Profile Joined September 2010
United States5797 Posts
March 14 2012 02:23 GMT
#470
Several books atm
[image loading]

So far and I think it's overrated. (i.e. not one of the greatest novels of all time) I like the character and idea exploration, but Dostoevsky's writing style just makes me cringe. (Could be the translation, but blahhhhhhh) Hopefully it'll get better.

[image loading]

I'm liking this a lot more than C&P. Tolstoy's style seems much more refined, and a lot more coherent. (Again, could just be the translation.) The character development is great, the plot is strong, etc. (Levin ) Definetely see why it's often called the greatest of all time.

[image loading]

Got it as a gift, so we'll see how it turns out. Heard some good things about it, but I don't want to get my hopes up and expect ASOIAF or LOTR-esque levels or anything.

Known Aliases: Tyragon, Valeric ~MSL Forever, SKT is truly the Superior KT!
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-14 03:31:28
March 14 2012 03:15 GMT
#471
On March 14 2012 11:23 1Eris1 wrote:
Several books atm
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


So far and I think it's overrated. (i.e. not one of the greatest novels of all time) I like the character and idea exploration, but Dostoevsky's writing style just makes me cringe. (Could be the translation, but blahhhhhhh) Hopefully it'll get better.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


I'm liking this a lot more than C&P. Tolstoy's style seems much more refined, and a lot more coherent. (Again, could just be the translation.) The character development is great, the plot is strong, etc. (Levin ) Definetely see why it's often called the greatest of all time.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Got it as a gift, so we'll see how it turns out. Heard some good things about it, but I don't want to get my hopes up and expect ASOIAF or LOTR-esque levels or anything.



If the pictured ones are actually the two editions of the Russian novels you are reading then yeah, you are getting two very different translation styles. That Crime and Punishment is by Constance Garnett who did the first major translations of most of the Russian classics in the early 1900's. Many people seem to say a lot of her old-style English voice bleeds into them and she wasn't as meticulous and misses some nuance.

The Anna Karenina there is by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky who have done the newest major translations of some of these Russian classics (1990's-2000's). They are a husband and wife team of a native Russian speaker and an American writer. Their work seems to get a lot of praise and seems to be the most favored versions of most of the things they've translated nowadays. (I'm not at all qualified to say whose are the best though.) I know Pevear and Volokhonsky were a lot more meticulous with language and trying to translate each author's distinct style to English. Whether they succeed at that--there's a lot of debate.

Both of the translators have translated both of those works, so if you want to have fun comparing, you can do that.
Also this seems to be a nice thread with some more opinions:
http://www.fyodordostoevsky.com/forum/index.php?threadid=553;start=0
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
Diizzy
Profile Joined August 2011
United States828 Posts
March 14 2012 03:29 GMT
#472
On March 14 2012 11:04 Sroobz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 14 2012 11:00 Diizzy wrote:
what are good books? i liked the hunger games. something kinda like that. light read preferably.


If you liked the hunger games check out Divergent or The Knife of Never Letting Go.



thanks! the knife of never letting go sounds good. how many books are there? i saw that it said book 1 so im guessing its a series?
1Eris1
Profile Joined September 2010
United States5797 Posts
March 14 2012 03:51 GMT
#473
If the pictured ones are actually the two editions of the Russian novels you are reading then yeah, you are getting two very different translation styles. That Crime and Punishment is by Constance Garnett who did the first major translations of most of the Russian classics in the early 1900's. Many people seem to say a lot of her old-style English voice bleeds into them and she wasn't as meticulous and misses some nuance.

The Anna Karenina there is by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky who have done the newest major translations of some of these Russian classics (1990's-2000's). They are a husband and wife team of a native Russian speaker and an American writer. Their work seems to get a lot of praise and seems to be the most favored versions of most of the things they've translated nowadays. (I'm not at all qualified to say whose are the best though.) I know Pevear and Volokhonsky were a lot more meticulous with language and trying to translate each author's distinct style to English. Whether they succeed at that--there's a lot of debate.

Both of the translators have translated both of those works, so if you want to have fun comparing, you can do that.
Also this seems to be a nice thread with some more opinions:
http://www.fyodordostoevsky.com/forum/index.php?threadid=553;start=0


You are correct, those are the two editions; and hmm, that's a good point.
I'm just literally seeing paragraphs that consist of phrases like these (all at once that is):
He was a tall man. He had short brown hair. He was wearing a black jacket. *Insert completely ridiculous comment from Raskolnikov's mind. He had big white hands...etc.
...and I'm like, this is the greatest/second greatest Russian novelist of all time? : /
I guess I'll have to pick up a newer translation and compare, because I do think the plot and the character exploration is very good and intriguing, but at the same time I get the feeling Dostoevsky failed middle school english.
Known Aliases: Tyragon, Valeric ~MSL Forever, SKT is truly the Superior KT!
RyanRushia
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2748 Posts
March 14 2012 03:52 GMT
#474
the game of thrones series FINALLY
I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free. | coL.Ryan | www.twitter.com/coL_RyanR
Dr. Steve Brule
Profile Joined January 2012
Wales152 Posts
March 14 2012 04:03 GMT
#475
[image loading]

Finished ^^

[image loading]

Almost ^^


What are some books in the vein of lord of the flies? Really enjoyed it.
fam
Probulous
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia3894 Posts
March 14 2012 04:07 GMT
#476
On March 14 2012 13:03 ExcisionExecute wrote:
What are some books in the vein of lord of the flies? Really enjoyed it.


Heart of Darkness by Josef Conrad.

It is more complex and requires more thought but it a fascinating and scary book.

Read it. Now.
"Dude has some really interesting midgame switches that I wouldn't have expected. "I violated your house" into "HIHO THE DAIRY OH!" really threw me. You don't usually expect children's poetry harass as a follow up " - AmericanUmlaut
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-14 04:11:44
March 14 2012 04:07 GMT
#477
On March 14 2012 12:51 1Eris1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
If the pictured ones are actually the two editions of the Russian novels you are reading then yeah, you are getting two very different translation styles. That Crime and Punishment is by Constance Garnett who did the first major translations of most of the Russian classics in the early 1900's. Many people seem to say a lot of her old-style English voice bleeds into them and she wasn't as meticulous and misses some nuance.

The Anna Karenina there is by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky who have done the newest major translations of some of these Russian classics (1990's-2000's). They are a husband and wife team of a native Russian speaker and an American writer. Their work seems to get a lot of praise and seems to be the most favored versions of most of the things they've translated nowadays. (I'm not at all qualified to say whose are the best though.) I know Pevear and Volokhonsky were a lot more meticulous with language and trying to translate each author's distinct style to English. Whether they succeed at that--there's a lot of debate.

Both of the translators have translated both of those works, so if you want to have fun comparing, you can do that.
Also this seems to be a nice thread with some more opinions:
http://www.fyodordostoevsky.com/forum/index.php?threadid=553;start=0


You are correct, those are the two editions; and hmm, that's a good point.
I'm just literally seeing paragraphs that consist of phrases like these (all at once that is):
He was a tall man. He had short brown hair. He was wearing a black jacket. *Insert completely ridiculous comment from Raskolnikov's mind. He had big white hands...etc.
...and I'm like, this is the greatest/second greatest Russian novelist of all time? : /
I guess I'll have to pick up a newer translation and compare, because I do think the plot and the character exploration is very good and intriguing, but at the same time I get the feeling Dostoevsky failed middle school english.


That said though, you might not notice a difference and it could be that's just how Dostoevsky wrote (I've only read the Garnett one and that was a while ago at that so I couldn't say), and maybe it seems more natural in Russian. Or it doesn't seem more natural in Russian and his style is peculiar (I have heard that said about him before, though he's one of my favorite authors) and you don't like it. It could be any or all of those.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
GreatFluke
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Canada40 Posts
March 14 2012 04:19 GMT
#478
[image loading]

Because for some reason I'm fascinated with diseases right now.
Air Attack 2... Anyone?
Juvant
Profile Joined April 2011
United States723 Posts
March 14 2012 04:23 GMT
#479
On February 28 2012 21:18 Emiko wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2012 21:27 Kznn wrote:
[image loading]

Until now, I've never read a novel with a better plot twist/s that the one in A Storm of Swords. Fans, you know what I'm talking about. I literally put down the book for a minute or two when I read it. While I didn't make any noise, my head was screaming "WTF." x9999.


I was about ready to quit the series. Definitely stopped reading for the day.

Just finished Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson; incredible dystopian comedy.

Trying to decide between finishing off...

Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun (Half way through the third book)
The Wind-Up Girl.. Started this a year+ ago and never finished, would likely need to restart it.
Otherlands by Tad Williams, or Shadowmarch by Tad Williams. Shadowmarch hasn't particularly caught my attention through the first quarter of the book, though Otherlands is quite intriguing.
Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson... About half way through the final book in the trilogy.

Also, question to anyone who has completed the Hyperion Cantos.... I seem to recall that the last two novels were not as well received as the first two? I guess it was illadvised to not attempt them based on that, but what are your thoughts on it? I greatly enjoyed the first two novels.
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-14 04:30:49
March 14 2012 04:25 GMT
#480
On March 14 2012 13:07 Probulous wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 14 2012 13:03 ExcisionExecute wrote:
What are some books in the vein of lord of the flies? Really enjoyed it.


Heart of Darkness by Josef Conrad.

It is more complex and requires more thought but it a fascinating and scary book.

Read it. Now.


I second that if you haven't read it, it's extremely compelling.

Also, A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes is very similar to Lord of the Flies (unsupervised kids adventure) although more of a story and less psychological examination (Conrad is on the other end, very psychological). And the lightness of its storytelling actually makes it dark to me because there's sort of a disturbing unconcern. It probably highly influenced Lord of the Flies which was written a bit after it.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1155
TKL 424
IndyStarCraft 316
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1155
ByuN 451
TKL 424
IndyStarCraft 316
Reynor 185
BRAT_OK 68
EmSc Tv 9
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 31323
Calm 2643
Shuttle 380
Mini 156
White-Ra 130
firebathero 105
Mong 61
scan(afreeca) 17
soO 17
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
Gorgc9232
Counter-Strike
fl0m2606
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3589
Liquid`Hasu523
MindelVK5
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2386
FrodaN1590
B2W.Neo744
olofmeister684
Khaldor510
Beastyqt244
Livibee175
crisheroes170
Mew2King71
ToD53
kaitlyn37
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick435
BasetradeTV203
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 9
EmSc2Tv 9
angryscii 1
[ Show 20 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 37
• Adnapsc2 10
• Reevou 5
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach64
• blackmanpl 19
• Azhi_Dahaki16
• 80smullet 7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV619
Other Games
• imaqtpie1060
• Shiphtur684
• tFFMrPink 10
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
20m
BSL Open Qualifier
20m
OSC
4h 20m
Replay Cast
4h 20m
OSC
17h 20m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 16h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.