• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:13
CEST 03:13
KST 10:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7864 users

Did the 4 Gate Nerf effect PvZ? - Page 3

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 All
KgKris
Profile Joined April 2011
United States164 Posts
June 29 2011 20:54 GMT
#41
On June 30 2011 05:50 Piski wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 30 2011 05:40 KgKris wrote:
On June 30 2011 05:35 Piski wrote:
Actually we lasted a pretty hood while before someone made a balance whine *cough* sorry, balanca discussion thread.

To actually answer the OP I would say how is protoss struggling? Winning tournaments isn't doesn't really say much but DH and HMCIII went to protoss and with a good amount of protoss players in the end.
I'm not saying this automatically means protoss is OP but I would say this game is closest to balance than it has ever been. I would like to hear more reasons why the OP feels PvZ is imbalance and participate to his own discussion. You just point us to one match and ask if this means there is imbalance.


Thanks for being an avid contributor to the discussion, sorry I didn't include the words imbalanced, OP or whine in the thread title.


No offence but I feel I contributed more than you with that OP.
You're not the first to not include the words imbalanced so don't think you've done something new here. You're still implying it.
I could be totally wrong and this could be a good discussion and I will be actually following it.
I did actually ask you to elaborate why do you think protoss is struggling besides that match and you decided that instead of answering you would do a smartass response to my post. Way to go.



Here you go:

[image loading]

Not that you really deserve a response, I was just going to let your attitude speak for itself.
"The spider comes."
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-29 21:01:10
June 29 2011 20:58 GMT
#42
On June 30 2011 05:54 KgKris wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 30 2011 05:50 Piski wrote:
On June 30 2011 05:40 KgKris wrote:
On June 30 2011 05:35 Piski wrote:
Actually we lasted a pretty hood while before someone made a balance whine *cough* sorry, balanca discussion thread.

To actually answer the OP I would say how is protoss struggling? Winning tournaments isn't doesn't really say much but DH and HMCIII went to protoss and with a good amount of protoss players in the end.
I'm not saying this automatically means protoss is OP but I would say this game is closest to balance than it has ever been. I would like to hear more reasons why the OP feels PvZ is imbalance and participate to his own discussion. You just point us to one match and ask if this means there is imbalance.


Thanks for being an avid contributor to the discussion, sorry I didn't include the words imbalanced, OP or whine in the thread title.


No offence but I feel I contributed more than you with that OP.
You're not the first to not include the words imbalanced so don't think you've done something new here. You're still implying it.
I could be totally wrong and this could be a good discussion and I will be actually following it.
I did actually ask you to elaborate why do you think protoss is struggling besides that match and you decided that instead of answering you would do a smartass response to my post. Way to go.



Here you go:

Not that you really deserve a response, I was just going to let your attitude speak for itself.


Outdated statistics.

From Dreamhack, which boasted quite a significant number of games...

Despite compromising less than a third of all invited players, a whopping 6 of the 8 starting groups were won by Protoss, with Naniwa, Sase, MC, White-Ra, and Huk all ripping through 5-0 without dropping a single series, leading to an Ro16 and Ro8 that were both half Protoss.

It seemed that over the entire tournament any player caught building a pylon had his winning percentage boosted significatly: Protoss held winning records against both Zerg (50-34, 59%) and Terran (58-33, 63%).


March was when players started using banelings vs Protoss. March/April was when Protoss had no fucking clue to do vs it, and also when the Roach/Ling allin vs 3gate expand became the most popular (I believe, not positive). Protoss players are both significantly more prepared for those styles of play now.
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-29 21:01:10
June 29 2011 21:00 GMT
#43
Imba, Imba. Metagame. 4gate. Imbalance. Artosis. Forcefield you SeE?
20 seconds, 1/3 minute, Metagame once again. 3 pylon block rush. gtlBaBY.
Imba dt roach, Void Ray Cybernetics for make better Cybersports.

The only thing that the change impacts heavily outside of 4gate is when toss is taking their natural at a "safe" time. In order to get the 6 minute "money" timing of the WG in conjunction with their nexus, they must chronoboost their WG almost exclusively. If they do not, they are expanding with a zealot and 2 sentries blindly; they don't know how many speed lings the zerg made; if they cut drones and made a whole bunch of zerglings, protoss has a larger window where their nexus in jepeordy of cancelation and the window of a risky expansion is MUCH larger.

EDIT: timing attack
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
Piski
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Finland3461 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-29 21:03:09
June 29 2011 21:01 GMT
#44
+ Show Spoiler +
On June 30 2011 05:54 KgKris wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 30 2011 05:50 Piski wrote:
On June 30 2011 05:40 KgKris wrote:
On June 30 2011 05:35 Piski wrote:
Actually we lasted a pretty hood while before someone made a balance whine *cough* sorry, balanca discussion thread.

To actually answer the OP I would say how is protoss struggling? Winning tournaments isn't doesn't really say much but DH and HMCIII went to protoss and with a good amount of protoss players in the end.
I'm not saying this automatically means protoss is OP but I would say this game is closest to balance than it has ever been. I would like to hear more reasons why the OP feels PvZ is imbalance and participate to his own discussion. You just point us to one match and ask if this means there is imbalance.


Thanks for being an avid contributor to the discussion, sorry I didn't include the words imbalanced, OP or whine in the thread title.


No offence but I feel I contributed more than you with that OP.
You're not the first to not include the words imbalanced so don't think you've done something new here. You're still implying it.
I could be totally wrong and this could be a good discussion and I will be actually following it.
I did actually ask you to elaborate why do you think protoss is struggling besides that match and you decided that instead of answering you would do a smartass response to my post. Way to go.



Here you go:

[image loading]

Not that you really deserve a response, I was just going to let your attitude speak for itself.


If those are your only reasoning for protoss struggling why not discuss it in the thread those are posted?
Why are you even that defencive. I'm not trying to crucify you.
I see those stats and raise you protoss winning two latest major foreigner tournaments. For me non of those really decisively say anything.
I do think Alicia is a better player than CoCa but then again I think July is better than Trickster.
Just because I'm not confriming your thoughts doesn't mean I am an asshole who wants this thread closed and you banned.
I'm sure even you want this thread having a direction rather than just say "discuss" and see what happens when a forum full of Protoss and Zergs start to fight how the other race is imbalance.

Edit: Put the pic post in spoilers not to take too much room.
Toadvine
Profile Joined November 2010
Poland2234 Posts
June 29 2011 21:01 GMT
#45
Annoyingly enough, it made roach/ling all-ins harder to deal with, because if you get Hallucination after Warpgate, then you won't scout in time to prepare for the attack. Don't think it changed that much otherwise though; nobody was really doing straight up 4gates anyway, and you can still cancel a Nexus at 99% and still have a very powerful attack.

On June 30 2011 05:32 Steel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 30 2011 05:14 blade55555 wrote:
On June 30 2011 05:12 stormchaser wrote:
On June 30 2011 05:10 Kira__ wrote:
Protoss doesnt seem to be struggling against zerg outside of korea. Maybe it has something to do with the myth about koreans being amazing at refining builds, but not being very creative. Perhaps it will take the korean protosses some time to catch up.

I'm not sure if this is true. I mean it was only a few weeks ago that on SOTG, all the tosses on there were complaining about PvZ. I think it's just a very volatile matchup that can be frustrating to alot of people.


well that was on state of the game. Tosses did amazing at dreamhack (8 of the 16 were protoss) and top 3 were protoss at the homestory cup. But in Korea protosses are struggling alot.


In the GSL were seeing a lot of protoss losing because their 2 base all-in or deathball push fails.

I think that P needs to do something else than doing an all-in or turteling. You know like apply pressure, like Terrans do in TvZ. You seriously never see a blink pressure build, just to take map control in the mid-game. It's always a really heavy all-in. For example, the games of San vs Sheth could of went differently if San only got one less gate, applied pressure with his blink stalkers and expanded.

Basically Protoss wasn't having much success doing all-ins anymore so they started getting a deathball which Zerg learned how to deal with (it's still really not easy) and nothing new is coming out from Protoss.


There's a good reason you don't see "pressure" or "harassment" from Protoss that often. The race is simply designed to promote Warpgate all-ins or turtling, especially against Zerg. If you pressure as Protoss and you lose your whole army, you have lost the game, period. It's a lot of risk for not that much reward. Blink is becoming so popular right now not because of how good or bad Blink Stalkers are, but because they can actually retreat and move around the map with a degree of freedom, as opposed to every other Protoss unit.

Compare this to a Terran, who will often be happy to trade his Marine/Tank push for a bunch of Mutalisks and Banelings, and will usually be cost-effective at that.
"There are always some Eskimos ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves." - S.J.Lec
KgKris
Profile Joined April 2011
United States164 Posts
June 29 2011 21:03 GMT
#46
On June 30 2011 05:58 FabledIntegral wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 30 2011 05:54 KgKris wrote:
On June 30 2011 05:50 Piski wrote:
On June 30 2011 05:40 KgKris wrote:
On June 30 2011 05:35 Piski wrote:
Actually we lasted a pretty hood while before someone made a balance whine *cough* sorry, balanca discussion thread.

To actually answer the OP I would say how is protoss struggling? Winning tournaments isn't doesn't really say much but DH and HMCIII went to protoss and with a good amount of protoss players in the end.
I'm not saying this automatically means protoss is OP but I would say this game is closest to balance than it has ever been. I would like to hear more reasons why the OP feels PvZ is imbalance and participate to his own discussion. You just point us to one match and ask if this means there is imbalance.


Thanks for being an avid contributor to the discussion, sorry I didn't include the words imbalanced, OP or whine in the thread title.


No offence but I feel I contributed more than you with that OP.
You're not the first to not include the words imbalanced so don't think you've done something new here. You're still implying it.
I could be totally wrong and this could be a good discussion and I will be actually following it.
I did actually ask you to elaborate why do you think protoss is struggling besides that match and you decided that instead of answering you would do a smartass response to my post. Way to go.



Here you go:

Not that you really deserve a response, I was just going to let your attitude speak for itself.


Outdated statistics.

From Dreamhack, which boasted quite a significant number of games...
Show nested quote +

Despite compromising less than a third of all invited players, a whopping 6 of the 8 starting groups were won by Protoss, with Naniwa, Sase, MC, White-Ra, and Huk all ripping through 5-0 without dropping a single series, leading to an Ro16 and Ro8 that were both half Protoss.

It seemed that over the entire tournament any player caught building a pylon had his winning percentage boosted significatly: Protoss held winning records against both Zerg (50-34, 59%) and Terran (58-33, 63%).


March was when players started using banelings vs Protoss. March/April was when Protoss had no fucking clue to do vs it, and also when the Roach/Ling allin vs 3gate expand became the most popular (I believe, not positive). Protoss players are both significantly more prepared for those styles of play now.


Sorry I should have specified. That chart is from May (a few weeks after 1.3.3 was released) and only covers games from the GSL/Korea. Here is a link to the description:

http://twitpic.com/4sdkpv

Honestly, I have watched enough GSL to believe that this trend continued through May and June.
"The spider comes."
Saracen
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States5139 Posts
June 29 2011 21:04 GMT
#47
On June 30 2011 05:02 KgKris wrote:
I just watch a GSL game so I conclude that Z > P imba b/c u cant 4gate anymore b/c warpgate sooooo slowwww (even tho, you kinda still can) discuss!

Please don't turn TL into the B.net forums.
Prev 1 2 3 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft519
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta13
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft519
WinterStarcraft285
RuFF_SC2 37
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 807
White-Ra 155
Noble 75
NaDa 69
Hyuk 54
Bale 15
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm151
LuMiX0
League of Legends
Doublelift4909
Counter-Strike
taco 356
minikerr18
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox612
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor714
Other Games
summit1g8440
Coldzera 822
JimRising 581
C9.Mang0365
ViBE62
ArmadaUGS51
Mew2King43
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick730
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream88
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 102
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21332
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
8h 47m
Online Event
9h 47m
FEL
14h 47m
AI Arena Tournament
15h 47m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
17h 47m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 8h
INu's Battles
1d 10h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
Replay Cast
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.