• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:21
CEST 05:21
KST 12:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8912 users

! [Q] Getting a Queen every game? - Page 7

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 11 Next All
5HITCOMBO
Profile Joined March 2006
Japan2239 Posts
April 27 2008 20:53 GMT
#121
And trust me, I know a lot about combos.
I live in perpetual fear of terrorists and studio gangsters
jgad
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada899 Posts
April 27 2008 20:57 GMT
#122
of the five hit variety, I would presume?
콩까지마
stanzzz
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15 Posts
April 27 2008 21:56 GMT
#123
On April 27 2008 22:13 jgad wrote:
This has always been one of those great mysteries to me - my game intuition tells me that Queens are savagely underused by Zerg players, but then my other intuition tells me that progamers and their coaches spend way, way too much time analysing and thinking about game strategies to have totally overlooked their usage. Still, I fail to come up with any really strong reasons against having a few of them around for ensnare and parasiting critters or whatever. Sci vessels do for lurkers what Queens could do for tanks and nobody has to argue about how useful irradiate is - broodling still never gets used. The occasional strategic d-matrix often wins battles for terrans and I can't help but think that a bang-on ensnare might do the same for Zerg. The mystery persists...



well you can't really compare vessels to queens.. for one.. it's crucial for terrans, since they dont have any other form of detection other than static ones (and limited scans).. since they're gona get it anyway, why not upgrade them too

also... isn't brodling like 150 energy? do zergs really have that much time to wait for 150 energy to tap a couple tanks?
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
April 27 2008 22:04 GMT
#124
Vessels cost like 225 gas stanzzz, it's a pretty fair comparison.

Depending on the situation, Broodlinging tanks can either be pretty much worthless, or game breaking.

If you're attacking a Terran natural, and they only have one or two tanks, set up on a cliff, your attack becomes loads more powerful when you take those out.

If you're attacking the Terran blob, and they've got like 8 tanks and you only manage to get two, it's pretty much worthless (since broodling doesn't even work if the Queen dies before it hits).

It's a very situational spell in my experience, and is better for small scale break-ins than large scale battles.
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
jgad
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada899 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-04-27 22:38:37
April 27 2008 22:29 GMT
#125
I tend to agree. You don't always have time to wait for 150 energy, sure, and it isn't that every situation would be made better by having a queen, of course, but if you're trying to push the envelope - harassing with a tiny chunk of army or pulling out all the straws to defend, etc, then it can be an edge, I think, to have a queen in the mix to tip the balance in your favour. You could make a lot of the same arguments about fighting with workers - sure, nobody would like to do it and no, you can't really afford to lose any of them, but people do it because they have to and very often it works because a few drones can suddenly make a handful of lings go a lot further than they could without. Same with carriers - god, they take ages to tech, bloody forever to make and they cost an unbelievable fortune. I mean, who has time to wait around for all that crap? Mass speedlots ftw?

I mean - consider that broodling has a range of 9... that's more than a goliath with range (8), even more than a turret (7) and only one less than a tank's vision. It's not just "tapping a couple of tanks" - it's being able to do it with stealth, from unexpected angles, taking the enemy by surprise. How many times does an expo have like two or three tanks sieged with a few turrets around? Broodling the tanks (which you can do without worrying about the turrets - range!) and then mop up with lings/lurks/whatever. No mess, you lose minimal units, and your ground force is massively amplified in terms of the damage it can do. Bargain.
콩까지마
Warrior Madness
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Canada3791 Posts
April 28 2008 03:38 GMT
#126
I tend to agree. You don't always have time to wait for 150 energy, sure, and it isn't that every situation would be made better by having a queen, of course, but if you're trying to push the envelope - harassing with a tiny chunk of army or pulling out all the straws to defend, etc, then it can be an edge, I think, to have a queen in the mix to tip the balance in your favour.


That you have to wait around for 2 minutes to ensnare is probably one of the strongest arguments against using Queens. It's impractical, not very convienent and messes up your timing. Not only that but your Queen would probably die before or after it used ensnare (though I've seen a few people like Liquid.Drone dodge weave around M&M's skillfully). So would it be worth it investing the resources, and more importantly investing your time to practice microing with Queens?

Well I think you can answer the first objection by comparing the Queen to a high templar rather than a carrier or a worker. HTs and Queens are both vulnerable, have low hps, are micro-intensive and you must wait for their mana to recover before putting them to any use. They're almost wholly useless on their own or with the wrong units. However, with the right unit combination they can both potentially sway a battle and the game in your favour.

With regards to the second objection, you would simply have to work on your Queen and unit micro. For example a skilled Queen user probably wouldn't even snipe with a Queen but instead he'd keep a few behind his hydra group or scourges and he'd engage the M&Ms normally i.e. swarming then moving his force in-- only while the M&Ms are backing away from the swarms and/or the science vessels are moving in to irradiate the defilers/lurkers/ultras would he move in his Queens to ensare the vessels or the edge of the M&M group.
The Past: Yellow, Julyzerg, Chojja, Savior, GGplay -- The Present: Luxury, Jae- The Future: -Dong, maGma, Zero, Effort, Hoejja, hyvaa, by.hero, calm, Action ---> SC2 (Ret?? Kolll Idra!! SEN, Cool, ZergBong, Leenock)
thunk
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States6233 Posts
April 28 2008 04:42 GMT
#127
On April 27 2008 22:13 jgad wrote:
This has always been one of those great mysteries to me - my game intuition tells me that Queens are savagely underused by Zerg players, but then my other intuition tells me that progamers and their coaches spend way, way too much time analysing and thinking about game strategies to have totally overlooked their usage. Still, I fail to come up with any really strong reasons against having a few of them around for ensnare and parasiting critters or whatever. Sci vessels do for lurkers what Queens could do for tanks and nobody has to argue about how useful irradiate is - broodling still never gets used. The occasional strategic d-matrix often wins battles for terrans and I can't help but think that a bang-on ensnare might do the same for Zerg. The mystery persists...



It was used awhile back, before Savior management zerg was unleashed. If Savior hadn't been bojawa, one of the better zergs back then might have cracked the Queen nut. I don't really have the knowledge to back this up, but perhaps one could trace the unpopularity of the queen back to Savior's defiler usage.
Every time Jung Myung Hoon builds a vulture, two probes die. || My post count was a palindrome and I was never posting again.
ziggySD
Profile Joined May 2008
Sweden8 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-05-16 10:14:17
May 16 2008 10:11 GMT
#128
Does anyone know if the "magic box" trick works with the ensnare spell? I' mean wouldnt it be wonderfull to have like 3 queens ensnaring most of the terran ball and the vessels over them, or at the side? If he tries to irridate queens you could just be on your way out of their range with waypoint useage.

And to those talking about combos: Don't you think queen would be great against SK terran thats always mobile and run away from swarm anyway? If your not dropping or attacking choke ofcourse.
PobTheCad
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
Australia893 Posts
May 16 2008 10:32 GMT
#129
i think queen would take away concentration (when not used at a very high level)
it would be in the back of your mind 'must use queen'

i think queens best use in zvt is to infest command centre as it saves you needing to do another 600 dmg to it and ensures he cannot rescue or repair it

when vessels come out forget it
Once again back is the incredible!
ziggySD
Profile Joined May 2008
Sweden8 Posts
May 16 2008 13:22 GMT
#130
On May 16 2008 19:32 PobTheCad wrote:
i think queen would take away concentration (when not used at a very high level)
it would be in the back of your mind 'must use queen'

i think queens best use in zvt is to infest command centre as it saves you needing to do another 600 dmg to it and ensures he cannot rescue or repair it

when vessels come out forget it



I think the opposite about when vessels come out. Would'nt it be a perfect anti vessel "team" with 1 queen and the scourges. The vessels always have time to run away or roam around the map. Don't mind getting the queen irridated. You still have the time to cast the important ensnare with this tactic. I really believe it could work if you use it with some practice. And there very easy to use and especially before you get defilers. It won't mess your micro up after a couple of games.

Has to be said this is just my theories. I played for a couple of years ago and I started again like 2 months ago. So I'm going to try out my old tactics one again^^. I'll post som reps if i happened to succeed vs some "okey" players.

I think it's ignorant to not use them just cause the pro's don't. Maybe they just don't have the guts or time to practice it. Maybe stuck with the positives about the defiler. I'ts not that good with swarm in open areas. You can just hurt good players a little while they run away.
GeneralStan
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States4789 Posts
May 16 2008 13:30 GMT
#131
On April 28 2008 05:53 5HITCOMBO wrote:
I think ultraling combos better with ensnare than lurkerling does. Lurkers and defilers go together; ultras and queens match well.


I don't think so. The main micro used by marines against lurkers is running the hell away. When they're ensnared, it's easy to get three of four lurkers surrounding the marines so that when they try to run away literally almost all of the marines die.

Obviously though, lurkers and defilers are a match made in heaven.

The question is, how does ultraling work with ensnare?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Louder
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States2276 Posts
May 16 2008 14:22 GMT
#132
Anything works great with ensnare. Ensnare is brutal. If someone like ggplay incorporated ensnare into his dark swarm style, I think it's likely you'd see a whole new trend in zerg play.

Eri should chime in here. He's a queen lover from way back =O Also, this reminds me of Tsunami's ZvZ - hydra + queen ftw
5HITCOMBO
Profile Joined March 2006
Japan2239 Posts
May 16 2008 18:29 GMT
#133
On May 16 2008 22:30 GeneralStan wrote:
The question is, how does ultraling work with ensnare?

A little bit of micro?
I live in perpetual fear of terrorists and studio gangsters
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-05-16 19:44:59
May 16 2008 19:44 GMT
#134
On April 28 2008 05:53 5HITCOMBO wrote:
I think ultraling combos better with ensnare than lurkerling does. Lurkers and defilers go together; ultras and queens match well.


I agree. There's a lot less work involved with ult/ling. You can fuck up your flank and still recover easily. The ults are gonna soak up all the hits. Lurk/ling, if you burrow in the wrong spot and he moves well, youre gonn have to reset.

By the time I go up to hive tech, I usually get ensare and at least 1 queen (sometimes 2), provided im not behind. 200/200 for the research and the queen is pretty negligible considering the potelly major impact it could have on a game, if you ask me.

Broodling...not so much. I find that a lot harder to use
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
PePe QuiCoSE
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Argentina1204 Posts
May 16 2008 19:51 GMT
#135
broodling looks favorable for a really late game situation where every unit counts and energy based units become much more valuable.
I remember reading that in the famous FBH vs Savior series, game 5 @ python, broodling was considered like a good idea to kill tanks in the cliff near the island expo.

I think that queens have been pretty much discussed around and that reps are the only new thing that could be added.
ziggySD
Profile Joined May 2008
Sweden8 Posts
May 16 2008 20:11 GMT
#136
On May 17 2008 04:44 Hawk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2008 05:53 5HITCOMBO wrote:
I think ultraling combos better with ensnare than lurkerling does. Lurkers and defilers go together; ultras and queens match well.


I agree. There's a lot less work involved with ult/ling. You can fuck up your flank and still recover easily. The ults are gonna soak up all the hits. Lurk/ling, if you burrow in the wrong spot and he moves well, youre gonn have to reset.

By the time I go up to hive tech, I usually get ensare and at least 1 queen (sometimes 2), provided im not behind. 200/200 for the research and the queen is pretty negligible considering the potelly major impact it could have on a game, if you ask me.

Broodling...not so much. I find that a lot harder to use


I don't agree, not from experience though So I might change my mind after a couple of games with this, but at the moment from thinking about it. It should be better with ensnare lurk/ling since your lurks wont die as fast with ensnared marines. And won't run circles around you=). And by the way, vessels does get slow from ensnare, right? I just can't remember if it had any effect on them.
NeoMesh
Profile Joined May 2008
Canada49 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-05-16 20:25:32
May 16 2008 20:24 GMT
#137
I don't get it, How come no one has even mentioned spawn broodling?

I rarely see these used to counter tanks range in games.. and I find they work great for me.. I often get 1-2 queens to counter a lot of siege.. due to the terran's immobility it works great.. I don't see why pro's don't use them more often to compliment their army and take out a few siege easily without losing units..

IntoTheWow
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
is awesome32282 Posts
May 16 2008 21:08 GMT
#138
On May 17 2008 05:24 NeoMesh wrote:
I don't get it, How come no one has even mentioned spawn broodling?

I rarely see these used to counter tanks range in games.. and I find they work great for me.. I often get 1-2 queens to counter a lot of siege.. due to the terran's immobility it works great.. I don't see why pro's don't use them more often to compliment their army and take out a few siege easily without losing units..



Spawn broodling takes a research, lots of mana. A vessel gets irradiate a faster and can counter your queens easily. Queens themselves cost gas.
Moderator<:3-/-<
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
May 16 2008 21:28 GMT
#139
On May 17 2008 05:11 ziggySD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2008 04:44 Hawk wrote:
On April 28 2008 05:53 5HITCOMBO wrote:
I think ultraling combos better with ensnare than lurkerling does. Lurkers and defilers go together; ultras and queens match well.


I agree. There's a lot less work involved with ult/ling. You can fuck up your flank and still recover easily. The ults are gonna soak up all the hits. Lurk/ling, if you burrow in the wrong spot and he moves well, youre gonn have to reset.

By the time I go up to hive tech, I usually get ensare and at least 1 queen (sometimes 2), provided im not behind. 200/200 for the research and the queen is pretty negligible considering the potelly major impact it could have on a game, if you ask me.

Broodling...not so much. I find that a lot harder to use


I don't agree, not from experience though So I might change my mind after a couple of games with this, but at the moment from thinking about it. It should be better with ensnare lurk/ling since your lurks wont die as fast with ensnared marines. And won't run circles around you=). And by the way, vessels does get slow from ensnare, right? I just can't remember if it had any effect on them.


It's certainly viable with lurk/ling (i had a decent zvt last night where i fended off at my choke with ensnare and a group of lurk and 2 ling groups), just kinda harder for reasons stated. Like if you snare him, and try to burrow around him and he moves out of the way, you have to unburrow, move closer again, while trying to get lings on the opposite end to trap him in...burning the ensnare time.

You cant outrun cracks/graded ults =p You get a decent angle and its just attack move really.
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
anotak
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States1537 Posts
May 16 2008 21:38 GMT
#140
queens could also be helpful against dt/sair. ensare to reveal dts/slow sairs.
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft449
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta117
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft495
PiGStarcraft449
RuFF_SC2 189
SpeCial 57
PiLiPiLi 32
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1338
Hyuk 50
Bale 31
Noble 27
Icarus 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm184
Counter-Strike
taco 606
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox588
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor652
Other Games
summit1g9848
Coldzera 817
JimRising 483
C9.Mang0318
Sick83
ViBE74
ArmadaUGS35
Liquid`Ken3
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick733
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream93
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 101
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo730
• Stunt253
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
6h 39m
Online Event
7h 39m
FEL
12h 39m
AI Arena Tournament
13h 39m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
15h 39m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
INu's Battles
1d 8h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.