• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:42
CEST 03:42
KST 10:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8669 users

Fast expo pvp - Page 2

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Foresaken_Foreskin
Profile Joined December 2006
Canada92 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-12-20 00:28:35
December 20 2006 00:11 GMT
#21
I have to find this link soon i hope i can get it )
Dont play to win. Play to perfect each aspect of the race you use.
Foresaken_Foreskin
Profile Joined December 2006
Canada92 Posts
December 20 2006 00:13 GMT
#22
im bumping this up, please let me know if thats not good to do or if this Catagory is ok for that?

The reason for this is so that the replay can be seen.
Dont play to win. Play to perfect each aspect of the race you use.
Foresaken_Foreskin
Profile Joined December 2006
Canada92 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-12-20 00:32:05
December 20 2006 00:28 GMT
#23
here is the link to a nice (replay) vs Fast Expanding Protoss's (MU: PvsP)

[url blocked]
Dont play to win. Play to perfect each aspect of the race you use.
mK.))
Profile Joined October 2006
United States80 Posts
December 20 2006 00:29 GMT
#24
You could of 3 gate goon hard, or skip units and tech fast. You did somewhat of a both.

Cannon rush that late, you dont even need to send probes, you would of had goon(s) before cannon completes.
Flaccid
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
8923 Posts
December 20 2006 00:36 GMT
#25
On August 26 2005 17:57 rpf289 wrote:
I just go range after my first gate and then add another gate, rally both to his expo, and micro my ass off. :D


Make the fucker bleed.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Taiche *
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
France1963 Posts
December 20 2006 00:39 GMT
#26
mK : yeah, I wasn't so sure about what to send to kill the cannon rush. I had 2 zeals but somehow I thought it wasn't enough. As I said, I was panicking a bit
Yeah, 3 gate goon might have been a good option too ; now you mention it, I "mixed up" tech and units because I had money to spend while the tech buildings were warping. Maybe I should have expoed instead.
Manifesto7 Uses ReXplorer, and so should you! : http://repasm.net/rx/
Purind
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
Canada3562 Posts
December 20 2006 06:09 GMT
#27
If he goes forge, then expand, I'm pretty sure you can expand at around the same time he can. Difference? He'll have a forge and cannons, you'll have units.

If you don't like doing things this way, you can do a well timed 3-4 gate goon attack. I've been trying out pvp FE builds, and if I guess/scout correctly, I can stop most things (reaver/dt/2gate zeal), but I remember losing to a 4 gate goon super well timed attack, and I could not wrap my head around how I could have defended that (even if I had maphack)
Trucy Wright is hot
QuietIdiot
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
7004 Posts
December 20 2006 08:14 GMT
#28
Legionnaire vs Reach Game 2 (IEST 2006)

Reach goes 12 nexus on Rh3. Go figure.
Aphelion
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States2720 Posts
December 20 2006 09:38 GMT
#29
When scout forge first, what I like to do is to block his nexus w/ probe or pylon like you would vs Zerg, then expo yourself. In the middle of this you can maybe sneak in one zeal to kill probes since he has no mobile defense. If you manage to do this, he is really fucked, cause he is behind in tech, economy, and even troops soon (cause you got gate / assim instead of his forge / cannon). After this, there is no way he can defend vs goon / reaver without spending heavily on cannons as he'd have to worry about his main and his entrance. It should be a easy win at this point.

P.S. If there a cliff over nat, you could just tech asap to robo and cannon / goon his cliff.
But Garimto was always more than just a Protoss...
ManaBlue
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Canada10458 Posts
December 20 2006 10:03 GMT
#30
On December 20 2006 15:09 Purind wrote:
If he goes forge, then expand, I'm pretty sure you can expand at around the same time he can. Difference? He'll have a forge and cannons, you'll have units.

If you don't like doing things this way, you can do a well timed 3-4 gate goon attack. I've been trying out pvp FE builds, and if I guess/scout correctly, I can stop most things (reaver/dt/2gate zeal), but I remember losing to a 4 gate goon super well timed attack, and I could not wrap my head around how I could have defended that (even if I had maphack)


Attempting an all in attack like that many times has to do with how late you scout him and what the map is. If the guy already has his nexus down and you've been spending your resources going with a standard goon build, you'de be pretty behind by trying to reverse what you've done and expand yourself.
ModeratorTL VOD legends: Live2Win, hasuprotoss, Cadical, rinizim, Mani, thedeadhaji, Kennigit, SonuvBob, yakii, fw, pheer, CDRdude, pholon, Uraeus, zatic, baezzi. The contributors make this site what it is. *Props to FakeSteve for respecting the guitar gods*
Aurious
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Canada1772 Posts
December 20 2006 10:08 GMT
#31
3 Gate range Goon normally owns PvP FE, normally mass about 12 goons and maybe 1-2 zeals to soak cannon shots. but normally the goons are enough just spread them
Aphelion
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States2720 Posts
December 20 2006 13:29 GMT
#32
On December 20 2006 19:03 ManaBlue wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2006 15:09 Purind wrote:
If he goes forge, then expand, I'm pretty sure you can expand at around the same time he can. Difference? He'll have a forge and cannons, you'll have units.

If you don't like doing things this way, you can do a well timed 3-4 gate goon attack. I've been trying out pvp FE builds, and if I guess/scout correctly, I can stop most things (reaver/dt/2gate zeal), but I remember losing to a 4 gate goon super well timed attack, and I could not wrap my head around how I could have defended that (even if I had maphack)


Attempting an all in attack like that many times has to do with how late you scout him and what the map is. If the guy already has his nexus down and you've been spending your resources going with a standard goon build, you'de be pretty behind by trying to reverse what you've done and expand yourself.


If you scout after pylon or gate and he goes forge first, I think its really unlikely that he will be able to get the nexus down before you have an inkling of it. And if he doesn't, you can pretty much expo after gate and assim for a flat out advantage in tech w/o losing much in terms of expo timing.
But Garimto was always more than just a Protoss...
ManaBlue
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Canada10458 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-12-20 15:09:12
December 20 2006 15:07 GMT
#33
That's a good point. I haven't really seen forge/cannon first builds often though. Most of the nex first pvp builds I've seen have been 12 to 14 nexus first followed by gate or maybe forge.

On maps where nex first builds are bad pvp, like the standard 4v4 LT style maps (luna for example) I don't see the benefit from it. It should be easy to 3 gate goon an early expo on a map like that.

I was thinking more along the lines of a map with bigger walking distance.

EDIT:

I heard that Reach 12 nexed on RH3 against Leg in a recent league. I forget what it was and which thread I read it in, but I never saw the game. Anyone know anything about it? It might be interesting to talk about the game, maybe watch the rep if it was released, in the context of this discussion.
ModeratorTL VOD legends: Live2Win, hasuprotoss, Cadical, rinizim, Mani, thedeadhaji, Kennigit, SonuvBob, yakii, fw, pheer, CDRdude, pholon, Uraeus, zatic, baezzi. The contributors make this site what it is. *Props to FakeSteve for respecting the guitar gods*
Last Romantic
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States20667 Posts
December 20 2006 15:12 GMT
#34
On December 21 2006 00:07 ManaBlue wrote:
That's a good point. I haven't really seen forge/cannon first builds often though. Most of the nex first pvp builds I've seen have been 12 to 14 nexus first followed by gate or maybe forge.

On maps where nex first builds are bad pvp, like the standard 4v4 LT style maps (luna for example) I don't see the benefit from it. It should be easy to 3 gate goon an early expo on a map like that.

I was thinking more along the lines of a map with bigger walking distance.

EDIT:

I heard that Reach 12 nexed on RH3 against Leg in a recent league. I forget what it was and which thread I read it in, but I never saw the game. Anyone know anything about it? It might be interesting to talk about the game, maybe watch the rep if it was released, in the context of this discussion.


It's a bad game, Reach wanted to lose. 2 gate zealot beat him.
ㅋㄲㅈㅁ
evanthebouncy!
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States12816 Posts
December 20 2006 15:38 GMT
#35
On December 20 2006 09:39 Taiche wrote:
mK : yeah, I wasn't so sure about what to send to kill the cannon rush. I had 2 zeals but somehow I thought it wasn't enough. As I said, I was panicking a bit
Yeah, 3 gate goon might have been a good option too ; now you mention it, I "mixed up" tech and units because I had money to spend while the tech buildings were warping. Maybe I should have expoed instead.


Money build > Army build > Tech build > Money build

So what you need is a Tech build. Either goon/rvr pounding or just straight up many goons.
Life is run, it is dance, it is fast, passionate and BAM!, you dance and sing and booze while you can for now is the time and time is mine. Smile and laugh when still can for now is the time and soon you die!
patrick321
Profile Joined August 2004
United States185 Posts
December 20 2006 17:06 GMT
#36
My first impression was that the forge first build was done expressely to take advantage of the chance for offensive cannons with the hope that you quick expo. If you do expo you'll have next to nothing to defend against the cannon with. Since that's a map specific strat you should be able to guess when it's coming and prevent it with a pylon of your own.

Besides that, i really want to say that going after his pylon with zealots was a really stupid idea. You lost your army in exchange for ~100 shield damage and really didn't have a prayer of doing 600 damage to the well placed pylon with your small zealot force. Even going in with the small force was iffy, imo. The way his cannons were set up a zealot force really wasn't going to be effective.
Taiche *
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
France1963 Posts
December 20 2006 18:12 GMT
#37
On December 20 2006 18:38 Aphelion02 wrote:
When scout forge first, what I like to do is to block his nexus w/ probe or pylon like you would vs Zerg, then expo yourself. In the middle of this you can maybe sneak in one zeal to kill probes since he has no mobile defense. If you manage to do this, he is really fucked, cause he is behind in tech, economy, and even troops soon (cause you got gate / assim instead of his forge / cannon). After this, there is no way he can defend vs goon / reaver without spending heavily on cannons as he'd have to worry about his main and his entrance. It should be a easy win at this point.

That's a good idea, but if he places his cannons well, those cannons will be able to shoot the pylon in no time. But I agree it should delay him quite a bit.

P.S. If there a cliff over nat, you could just tech asap to robo and cannon / goon his cliff.

It was on Luna but I'll think of it on cliff maps.
On December 21 2006 00:38 evanthebouncy~ wrote:
Money build > Army build > Tech build > Money build

So what you need is a Tech build. Either goon/rvr pounding or just straight up many goons.

OK, thanks for the advice ! Looks like goon/reav or quick reav drop would have been the right thing to do.
On December 21 2006 02:06 patrick321 wrote:
My first impression was that the forge first build was done expressely to take advantage of the chance for offensive cannons with the hope that you quick expo. If you do expo you'll have next to nothing to defend against the cannon with. Since that's a map specific strat you should be able to guess when it's coming and prevent it with a pylon of your own.

Good point ; how do you "guess when it's coming" ? Just by seeing forge first ?

Besides that, i really want to say that going after his pylon with zealots was a really stupid idea. You lost your army in exchange for ~100 shield damage and really didn't have a prayer of doing 600 damage to the well placed pylon with your small zealot force. Even going in with the small force was iffy, imo. The way his cannons were set up a zealot force really wasn't going to be effective.

Yeah, I realized that afterwards. I'll go for fast tech next time and don't panic
Thanks !
Manifesto7 Uses ReXplorer, and so should you! : http://repasm.net/rx/
sundance
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
Slovakia3201 Posts
December 20 2006 18:50 GMT
#38
On December 21 2006 00:38 evanthebouncy~ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2006 09:39 Taiche wrote:
mK : yeah, I wasn't so sure about what to send to kill the cannon rush. I had 2 zeals but somehow I thought it wasn't enough. As I said, I was panicking a bit
Yeah, 3 gate goon might have been a good option too ; now you mention it, I "mixed up" tech and units because I had money to spend while the tech buildings were warping. Maybe I should have expoed instead.


Money build > Army build > Tech build > Money build

So what you need is a Tech build. Either goon/rvr pounding or just straight up many goons.

No.
FE is money build and you can beat it fairly easily with 3-4 gate goons which is army build.
And there are quite few of other examples that proves your chain false.
(Isn't sair->dt in pvz designed to stop army build (mass hydra) ?)
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Carnac
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
Germany / USA16648 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-12-21 05:45:40
December 20 2006 19:15 GMT
#39
Imho FE is a weak build in PvP on most maps. There are however maps on which it can work out decently or even pretty well. The best example I can think of right now is probably Legacy of Char. Granted, it's an old map almost no one plays anymore, but FE in PvP was popular on it, because the travel time between the starting positions is insanely long, unless you scout your opponent there on the first position you will only arrive when the Nexus is already complete...

I don't think I've ever lost a PvP against someone going FE unless he was a much better player than me. Best way to deal with it is 3 Gate Goon. Unless it's a very confined space Goons do very well against Cannons. Position your Goons wisely, micro well and you really should win the game in most of the cases. Or, like others already said, if you see cannons early just expand yourself, you will have the advantage.

On a related note: Semi Fast Exp (1 Gate Goon into Nexus) works alright on for example Nostalgia.
ModeratorHi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
GrandInquisitor *
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
New York City13113 Posts
December 20 2006 22:08 GMT
#40
On December 21 2006 00:38 evanthebouncy~ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2006 09:39 Taiche wrote:
mK : yeah, I wasn't so sure about what to send to kill the cannon rush. I had 2 zeals but somehow I thought it wasn't enough. As I said, I was panicking a bit
Yeah, 3 gate goon might have been a good option too ; now you mention it, I "mixed up" tech and units because I had money to spend while the tech buildings were warping. Maybe I should have expoed instead.


Money build > Army build > Tech build > Money build

So what you need is a Tech build. Either goon/rvr pounding or just straight up many goons.


Soooo...in ZvZ 12 hatch beats 9 pool beats 1hatch muta beats 12 hatch?

It's never this simple, it really depends on the mass/power/tech equation, and proper timing. Money build always wins over army build once the expansion is online and the money is flowing in, but is incredibly vulnerable before that. Tech build loses to army build in that short period where your unit count is choked but your new units haven't come out yet.

Army builds are only countered by other army builds *until* one of two things happens:

1. you win a big battle and therefore have an army advantage, letting you either increase that army lead and crush the other person, or simply converting it into a money/tech advantage (since he can't counter)
2. both of you have large enough armies such that you can afford to tech/expand, because he simply can't build up enough a good enough ratio to crush you. It's easier to have 2x the number of dragoons when the other person only has one, as compared to when the other person has 30.

this doesn't always play out in real games, of course, since we don't play with vision on
What fun is it being cool if you can’t wear a sombrero?
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft480
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta22
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft480
WinterStarcraft233
RuFF_SC2 107
PiLiPiLi 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1086
White-Ra 174
NaDa 65
Hyuk 56
Noble 49
Bale 16
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm180
LuMiX1
League of Legends
Doublelift5054
Counter-Strike
taco 542
minikerr18
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox647
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor714
Other Games
summit1g7782
Coldzera 874
C9.Mang0320
ViBE57
Mew2King47
ArmadaUGS40
Liquid`Ken2
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick707
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream82
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 89
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21716
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
8h 18m
Online Event
9h 18m
FEL
14h 18m
AI Arena Tournament
15h 18m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
17h 18m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 8h
INu's Battles
1d 10h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
Replay Cast
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.