• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:43
CEST 14:43
KST 21:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War445.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ TL Sidebar missing streams Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7874 users

Simple Questions, Simple Answers - Page 297

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 295 296 297 298 299 488 Next
InDi
Profile Joined April 2010
Spain90 Posts
February 14 2017 13:56 GMT
#5921
On February 14 2017 08:03 HaFnium wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 30 2017 20:36 [sc1f]eonzerg wrote:
im not really sure going quick 4 bases is that good anymore,there are so many ways to punish it and behind this protoss doesnt really need to go entirely all in,just with delayed third he is gonna be ok,on top of that he can double expand u cant do much about it.



What are the good ways to punish it?
It is still very popular at lower levels.

Gateway first is so hard to punish them, at my level zerg just tend to make 1 sunken early game (which is bad i know... but it means that i cant run around killing drones)

Again 2 base speedzeal is hard against zergs who know proper simcities these days.

2 base dragoon heavy styled attacks? seems quite effective IMO..



Opening 1 gate into exp may be hard for low level players, try to get your micro right and learn when NOT to attack, if you make 2 zeals + exp, and you forced 1 sunken and 10 lings you are already ahead with your ~17 probes against his ~9.

If Z takes a 3rd natural and sunkens up and simcities you want to avoid him gathering units (hydras) you don't need to attack suicide your zealots, just keep them alive, while you add templars to the mix and get your 3rd. Its a matter of knowing what the Z is doing to react accordingly.

If you preffer a more aggressive style early dragoon pressure punishes those builds a lot, but it is quite weak if spotted. I recommend that you take a look at the CoDra guide, which I used to quite a lot of success. But in the end I recommend you get a feel for the sair/speedlots openings in PvZ as they are more flexible and overall safe.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/bw-strategy/108201-codraaaaa
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28908 Posts
February 14 2017 17:50 GMT
#5922
On February 14 2017 08:03 HaFnium wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 30 2017 20:36 [sc1f]eonzerg wrote:
im not really sure going quick 4 bases is that good anymore,there are so many ways to punish it and behind this protoss doesnt really need to go entirely all in,just with delayed third he is gonna be ok,on top of that he can double expand u cant do much about it.



What are the good ways to punish it?
It is still very popular at lower levels.

Gateway first is so hard to punish them, at my level zerg just tend to make 1 sunken early game (which is bad i know... but it means that i cant run around killing drones)

Again 2 base speedzeal is hard against zergs who know proper simcities these days.

2 base dragoon heavy styled attacks? seems quite effective IMO..



To add to what indi is saying, the thing is more that when protoss opens with gate first, they manage to force so many lings out of zerg that for them to have spire in time for sairs and sim city in place for the zealot followup, they need to sacrifice their econ pretty heftily. Zerg can still take a different natural and manage to defend that+ their main - but then they completely lose map control in the mid game, and this basically allows the protoss to take another main+natural of his own. And while 4 base zerg does decently against 3 base protoss, 4 vs 4 is solidly to protoss' advantage. Essentially the way to punish this as protoss is to use your units and map presence to constantly force zerg into playing defensively and non-greedily while you get such a solid advantage entering the late game that not even the crackling swarm ultra lurker combo beats it.

Like, as a zerg, what I dislike playing against the most (if I take another natural as my second expansion) is protosses doing a 1 gate zealot pressure (where they don't send single zealots - those are easy to fend off) into corsair into a 2 base dragoon heavy attack ; but then upon forcing me to turtle quite heavily to defend, they avoid attacking, drop the goon production, take another natural and main base of their own (so we're 4-4 on bases), and then focusing entirely on stopping me from establishing a 5th while doing storm/dt drops (with sair fleet intact to hinder my map presence and drop abilities). It ends up being a long game, it's not an easy style, but good protosses who simply avoid attacking and are comfortable with fighting big army vs big army battles are imo the hardest to beat.

When zergs instead take their own second natural rather than another main natural, defending it is much easier (it's closer so lings/hydra can reinforce, and you have a ramp), and then they don't get economically disadvantaged in the same way, meaning that they can compete for map control during the mid game (this forces protoss to take their own second natural as their third base), which in turn makes it more possible to keep them on 3 gas longer, which makes the super heavy archon force come into play at a later point of the agme.
Moderator
rand0MPrecisi0n
Profile Joined February 2017
313 Posts
February 15 2017 00:51 GMT
#5923
Anyone knows a hotkey trainer map for zerg? Where can I get it?
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10396 Posts
February 15 2017 04:00 GMT
#5924
On February 14 2017 16:17 ZeroChrome wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2017 13:10 Jealous wrote:
Anyone know where I can find this short YouTube video of Best running his probes away from Protoss harassment (I forget if Storm or Reaver)?

I think it was SPL vs. Pure but I'm not sure. He was at 6 o'clock and he ran his probes from his main to his third and his nat to his main really fucking fast. I think someone uploaded it as a mini-clip of its own. I couldn't find it because "best probe run" doesn't give great results.




at 11:15

This is probably the one! Thank you so much for a quick answer.
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
Highgamer
Profile Joined October 2015
1473 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-02-15 20:12:40
February 15 2017 20:11 GMT
#5925
On February 15 2017 09:51 rand0MPrecisi0n wrote:
Anyone knows a hotkey trainer map for zerg? Where can I get it?


I don't really get the idea behind such maps... All you need is:


[image loading]


No seriously, best thing I could find, see for yourself what links work though
B-royal
Profile Joined May 2015
Belgium1330 Posts
February 17 2017 18:28 GMT
#5926
I'm making a unit test map, it's sort of working aside from getting upgrades to work.

Currently I have workers of all 3 races, I make whatever army I want, I send it to a location on the map and a computer takes control of it. However, when I lose control, the +1 attack or armor upgrades vanish... I can't seem to find any triggers on how to set the upgrade level.
new BW-player (~E rank fish) twitch.tv/crispydrone || What plays 500 games a season but can't get better? => http://imgur.com/a/pLzf9 <= ||
Ty2
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
United States1434 Posts
February 17 2017 23:37 GMT
#5927
--- Nuked ---
Writer
B-royal
Profile Joined May 2015
Belgium1330 Posts
February 18 2017 03:17 GMT
#5928
On February 18 2017 08:37 Ty2 wrote:
Shouldn't we avoid use of the word "you" in liquipedia? Just keep it formal and don't call the reader out by talking in the second person.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Zerg_vs._Zerg_Guide

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/2_Port_Wraith_(vs._Zerg)

I think you're referring to me? Maybe. I don't see the need to always stay impersonal. Constructions can get boring with the constant repeating of "Zerg should do this", "The player that opened with 12 pool should do this",...

new BW-player (~E rank fish) twitch.tv/crispydrone || What plays 500 games a season but can't get better? => http://imgur.com/a/pLzf9 <= ||
shall_burn
Profile Joined January 2016
252 Posts
February 18 2017 13:37 GMT
#5929
you seems kind of alright. But there is "I prefer.... I like...." in some articles (can't provide). It really felt awkward and a bit out of place.
evilfatsh1t
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia8930 Posts
February 20 2017 01:32 GMT
#5930
anyone remember the game where bisu does a ceremony by "inviting" challengers onto him using a hand gesture?
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10396 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-02-20 04:17:03
February 20 2017 04:16 GMT
#5931
On February 18 2017 22:37 shall_burn wrote:
you seems kind of alright. But there is "I prefer.... I like...." in some articles (can't provide). It really felt awkward and a bit out of place.

If people find pages like this and don't feel like fixing them, send them my way please.
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
shall_burn
Profile Joined January 2016
252 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-02-20 11:36:13
February 20 2017 11:32 GMT
#5932
If people find pages like this and don't feel like fixing them, send them my way please.

Noted. There has been an attempt to find these pages, but to no success as of yet.
***
There's something that I find confusig. I'm not sure about drone or scv, but 100% sure that a probe can attack zealot, that is on hold position, and zealot won't fight back because of smaller attack range. Same with lings (on hold). But liquidpedia says that probe (scv and drone), zealot and ling all got 1 range. What am I missing?
Also, another question regarding workers. It's said that they are ranged. Are they affected by highground advantage? Say, a probe is on the edge of the highground, and an scv is on the lowground. This might be important for blocking ramps with workers, as normally scvs pwn probes 1v1, but with highground advantage probe will win (won't it?).
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28908 Posts
February 20 2017 13:46 GMT
#5933
Workers are kinda funky like that. They all have 1 range, but probes have slightly longer range than drones and drones have slightly longer range than scvs. Probes and drones can attack hold positioned zealots with impunity, scvs can not. I can't confirm this 100%, but I definitely think I've seen probes miss when attacking up a ramp.

Also, none of the workers deal damage under dark swarm. So I think they count as being ranged units (even scvs, that don't have any range at all).
Moderator
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10396 Posts
February 20 2017 15:08 GMT
#5934
On February 20 2017 22:46 Liquid`Drone wrote:
Workers are kinda funky like that. They all have 1 range, but probes have slightly longer range than drones and drones have slightly longer range than scvs. Probes and drones can attack hold positioned zealots with impunity, scvs can not. I can't confirm this 100%, but I definitely think I've seen probes miss when attacking up a ramp.

Also, none of the workers deal damage under dark swarm. So I think they count as being ranged units (even scvs, that don't have any range at all).

Are you sure SCVs don't do damage under swarm? I was fairly certain they do.

Speaking of high ground mechanics, does Lurker have uphill miss chance as well?
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28908 Posts
February 20 2017 15:20 GMT
#5935
lurkers never miss, their damage is regarded as 'entire splash' or something. (No damage reduction under swarm, either).

And yes I am certain scvs don't do damage under swarm.
Moderator
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10396 Posts
February 20 2017 17:42 GMT
#5936
On February 21 2017 00:20 Liquid`Drone wrote:
lurkers never miss, their damage is regarded as 'entire splash' or something. (No damage reduction under swarm, either).

And yes I am certain scvs don't do damage under swarm.

The more you know! I had a hypothesis that Lurkers might miss shooting uphill because they benefit from Ranged upgrades (even though I know they work under swarm). Thanks!
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
shall_burn
Profile Joined January 2016
252 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-02-20 18:18:56
February 20 2017 18:09 GMT
#5937
I had a hypothesis that Lurkers might miss shooting uphill because they benefit from Ranged upgrades (even though I know they work under swarm). Thanks!

Sometimes one can't rely on logic purely. E.g., for quite a huge period of time I thought that zealots are medium, because you can get 4 of them in a shuttle, as well as goliaths. Guess what. Zeals are atually small, and goliaths are large.
Now imagine 8 zealots drop. Or 8 DTs. Scary.

And thanks to Liquid'Drone too
HaFnium
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United Kingdom1079 Posts
February 22 2017 20:13 GMT
#5938
On February 21 2017 03:09 shall_burn wrote:
Show nested quote +
I had a hypothesis that Lurkers might miss shooting uphill because they benefit from Ranged upgrades (even though I know they work under swarm). Thanks!

Sometimes one can't rely on logic purely. E.g., for quite a huge period of time I thought that zealots are medium, because you can get 4 of them in a shuttle, as well as goliaths. Guess what. Zeals are atually small, and goliaths are large.
Now imagine 8 zealots drop. Or 8 DTs. Scary.

And thanks to Liquid'Drone too


There are lots of things in SC that seems odd. But it is these oddness that make the game balanced.

I.e. why won't workers trigger mines... can imagine probes floating but scv and drones????
also imagine if vultures would trigger mines....

also imagine if lurkers cant attack under dark swarm....

bw is so cute =]
BW forever!
shall_burn
Profile Joined January 2016
252 Posts
February 22 2017 22:29 GMT
#5939
On February 23 2017 05:13 HaFnium wrote:
I.e. why won't workers trigger mines... can imagine probes floating but scv and drones????

It's time to think, what scvs actually are.
You can heal them. And repair. And maelstorm. Lockdown too. Quite... versatile?
And you can't broodling probes for some reason (really, why?), but no problem with spawning broodlings on scvs and drones
B-royal
Profile Joined May 2015
Belgium1330 Posts
February 22 2017 23:15 GMT
#5940
Probes have no souls.
new BW-player (~E rank fish) twitch.tv/crispydrone || What plays 500 games a season but can't get better? => http://imgur.com/a/pLzf9 <= ||
Prev 1 295 296 297 298 299 488 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
21:00
ONSYDE Invitational
TaKeTV 260
TKL 190
CranKy Ducklings76
Big Brain Bouts
19:00
#129
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinELIVE!
Reynor vs herO
RotterdaM960
IndyStarCraft 175
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 960
Lowko445
TKL 174
IndyStarCraft 166
Rex 87
MindelVK 15
ProTech3
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 61582
Free 3094
Jaedong 2172
BeSt 713
Soulkey 415
Horang2 347
Soma 302
Zeus 204
firebathero 186
Last 161
[ Show more ]
Hyun 142
sorry 127
Mind 114
Pusan 71
ToSsGirL 27
soO 26
Aegong 21
scan(afreeca) 21
Sacsri 11
zelot 10
Noble 7
Dota 2
Gorgc7139
Dendi774
XaKoH 397
canceldota51
Other Games
gofns34286
singsing2509
B2W.Neo494
byalli381
Pyrionflax306
ToD202
DeMusliM71
QueenE41
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV204
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 25
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP22
• Gemini_19 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 1370
• WagamamaTV470
League of Legends
• Jankos3064
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
4h 18m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6h 18m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h 18m
Patches Events
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
OSC
1d 23h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.