• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:20
CEST 12:20
KST 19:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9138 users

Map Making Contest [Art] - Page 4

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Alventenie
Profile Joined July 2007
United States2147 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-03-31 08:09:02
March 31 2008 08:05 GMT
#61
It seems really tall, so the expoes at the bottom seem really really far away, and alot of space in the middle is unused. I would almost say go from 128x128 (im assuming that is the size), to 128x96, making it more blitz X like. Otherwise I like the map.

edit: looking closer at the map, a big problem with it that i see is moving around the map. You have no inverted ramps (or that i can tell of), so you just have multiple little chokes around the map, and the only large area is your main/nat, and the giant middle of the map. Without inverted ramps it takes a while to get to the middle there, making large armies (late game) harder to play out. It also gives carriers a huge advantage because of the middle ridge, you could pretty much keep a terran on his top right/left corner with them.
Piecake
Profile Joined February 2008
United States33 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-03-31 08:14:25
March 31 2008 08:07 GMT
#62
On March 31 2008 16:43 PsycHOTemplar wrote:
You can't make Zerg try to defend that natural without giving them some kind of compensation (which you don't, because you have a cliff with room for tanks above it. Also, the map is really tight (T>ZP P>Z).


Well I tried to make it so the cliffs are not able to be dropped on... I guess I'll have to add some doodads to block them, or maybe even change the terrain a bit. As for the other bit, are you saying I should make the Terran push farther? It wouldn't be hard to block off the path beneath the 12 expo and make them go around and through the middle instead. Would that solve or at least help it?

EDIT WARS:

On March 31 2008 17:05 Alventenie wrote:
It seems really tall, so the expoes at the bottom seem really really far away, and alot of space in the middle is unused. I would almost say go from 128x128 (im assuming that is the size), to 128x96, making it more blitz X like. Otherwise I like the map.

edit: looking closer at the map, a big problem with it that i see is moving around the map. You have no inverted ramps (or that i can tell of), so you just have multiple little chokes around the map, and the only large area is your main/nat, and the giant middle of the map. Without inverted ramps it takes a while to get to the middle there, making large armies (late game) harder to play out. It also gives carriers a huge advantage because of the middle ridge, you could pretty much keep a terran on his top right/left corner with them.


That seems like a good idea actually, but it's kind of a pain to implement. I'll see what I can do.

Hm... so you're saying I should make the map more open, if only by placing inverted ramps in order to make late-game easier and carriers less overpowered? That seems doable. I guess I thought it wouldn't matter so much with the open middle but I see your point.
Alventenie
Profile Joined July 2007
United States2147 Posts
March 31 2008 08:17 GMT
#63
You actually dont need to add many inverted ramps at all, just on the top side of the large middle block should do, the other blocks on the left and right that are about 1/3-1/4 the size of the middle area seem fine to me. Just play with it, but as it stands right now, you only have 4 smallish chokes (which seem smalled than the python natural expo exit) to leave with your army.
Alventenie
Profile Joined July 2007
United States2147 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-03-31 08:26:44
March 31 2008 08:22 GMT
#64
Here, i went and did a picture of where I think they would help, just a suggestion though.

Edit: from what i see, its possible to land a CC at the btm expo without mining the min patch? at the btm right corner, im not sure though, i cant see without being in SCUMedit =/. And i found another non-symmetric part of the map, the btm left/right expoes, the chokes right past the ramp going up and then when it comes down, that bottleneck on the right is 1 box smaller than the left side.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Piecake
Profile Joined February 2008
United States33 Posts
March 31 2008 09:10 GMT
#65
No I checked the bottom expo, you can't land a building on the very bottom row of the map, it looks like you can however. And yes I know I suck at symmetry... it's really hard though.
tracer
Profile Joined March 2008
Korea (South)693 Posts
March 31 2008 13:14 GMT
#66
[image loading]

Faceoff

Because 96x96 maps are awesome.
Mineral blocks are 32 each. There are some pathing issues (Blue Storm anyone?) unless you mine the mineral blocks.
RaGe
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Belgium9950 Posts
March 31 2008 15:27 GMT
#67
I wanna see good concept maps like Coulee back in the day
Moderatorsometimes I get intimidated by the size of my right testicle
parkin
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
1091 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-03-31 17:13:24
March 31 2008 16:32 GMT
#68
On March 26 2008 11:07 Carkling wrote:
Whoosh :D

http://www.panschk.de/mappage/(2)Whoosh(n).scm

[image loading]


mineralblocks got 24 each, theres a little path issue so units might get confused and stuck at those minerals but it rarely happens

the centerhills got 815 ramps leading to the middle (shortest main-main path) but units wont get stuck there and instead choose the wider route


I like this map

Very strong map for terran, especially because you can drop tanks behind expoes in main etc.
mostly harmless
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
March 31 2008 17:33 GMT
#69
Well I tried to make it so the cliffs are not able to be dropped on... I guess I'll have to add some doodads to block them, or maybe even change the terrain a bit. As for the other bit, are you saying I should make the Terran push farther? It wouldn't be hard to block off the path beneath the 12 expo and make them go around and through the middle instead. Would that solve or at least help it?


Look,

[image loading]


the green line is the shortest path to the enemy base. You tell where along that line it's a good idea to flank the Terran army. Really, there's only one not tight spot on this map (that middle hill), and I don't think you're going to see any battles there. Players are just going to get really frustrated because you haven't offered them anything but a huge disadvantage vs Terran.

The red circles I drew are where I think tank drop is possible... it's really not that hard, just make the cliffs thinner.

Very strong map for terran, especially because you can drop tanks behind expoes in main etc.

Whut? You wanna rewrite that, cause it actually doesn't make sense (yes I know you're referring to Whoosh)?
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
Piecake
Profile Joined February 2008
United States33 Posts
April 01 2008 09:33 GMT
#70
So I made version 2:

[image loading]


I made a few obvious changes, the map is shorter and I changed tilesets (because Ashworld is unfortunately kind of not good). The map should be perfectly symmetrical this time (I misjudged the median line in the first one). I moved the barriers down and to the sides so as to make the push path more open, and I added the inverse ramps.

As a consequence of making the map shorter the bottom expos I think are kind of squished, I didn't even have enough room when I tried to use the original design. Another thing is that, even though it's more open now, the push distance is still kind of short. Is there enough flanking room now to compensate?

And PsycHOTemplar, I made sure you couldn't drop tanks above the naturals this time.
Resonate
Profile Joined October 2002
United Kingdom8402 Posts
April 01 2008 09:44 GMT
#71
zerg lurker contain vs toss would be totally unbreakable, so would terran contain vs FE toss or whatever. Can't you make the nat choke a bit wider? even nostalgia had a back entrance cos the bridges were jewish.

it's a lot less congested tho...

why bridge AND ramp to corners? they'd be pretty much impossible to break with a land army (or is that the point?)
Memory lane in nice
Piecake
Profile Joined February 2008
United States33 Posts
April 01 2008 09:54 GMT
#72
On April 01 2008 18:44 Resonate wrote:
zerg lurker contain vs toss would be totally unbreakable, so would terran contain vs FE toss or whatever. Can't you make the nat choke a bit wider? even nostalgia had a back entrance cos the bridges were jewish.

it's a lot less congested tho...

why bridge AND ramp to corners? they'd be pretty much impossible to break with a land army (or is that the point?)


Are bridges really that bad? I could make them wider easily, but I thought that was wide enough. How are they harder to break then, say, a ramp? No high ground advantage?
AltaiR_
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Korea (South)922 Posts
April 01 2008 10:48 GMT
#73
Hmm i was bored one day and i made a map...
[image loading]


i cant seem to get the sprites to show what they really are on scm draft and i dont know how to get an image of it so, here's the legend/key: ultra = assim (aka troy-ish), overmind = xel naga temple, carriers on the right = psi disruptors(this is so the gas is blocked on the 1/7 expos so its like a min-only until you destroy it, then the center expo is also fully blocked by psi disruptors, but that was seriously pure boredom, like anyone will use it unless a last resort..), egg = spawning pool, and u can barely see it but near the 8/10 expos there's an obs which is permaswarm. the meaning of this map is that the closer you are the harder it is to attack..very choked on left, slight choke in middle, and wide battlefield on right...the swarms were meant for anti-tank on ledge, but enough moved away so lurks cannot be abused. Enjoy! Oh and pointers for editing would be nice too. If anyone knows a way to upload maps online let me know >_>
Translator
diggurd
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Norway346 Posts
April 01 2008 16:10 GMT
#74
http://dump.no/ ?

i love your maps guys :D keep those original ideas flowing.
the interesting thing about this quote is that youll only understand whats interesting when youre done reading it. ǝɯıʇ ɹn ƃuıʇsɐʍ n ǝɹɐ ʎɥʍ
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
April 01 2008 16:36 GMT
#75
And PsycHOTemplar, I made sure you couldn't drop tanks above the naturals this time.

Maybe not above the naturals, but that wasn't the point The point was stop making really tight maps.

[image loading]
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
AltaiR_
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Korea (South)922 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-04-02 21:04:47
April 02 2008 04:52 GMT
#76
okay.. got it to upload

http://www.panschk.de/mappage/(2)Endeavor1.0(o).scx

criticism would be nice >_>
Translator
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
April 02 2008 08:07 GMT
#77
Just reminding people that you must pm a dl link of your map to me by the 7th at 12:00 tl time. Plenty of people have put maps in the thread but as of yet I have only received 3 final submissions.
Piecake
Profile Joined February 2008
United States33 Posts
April 03 2008 00:14 GMT
#78
Any other suggestions before I submit it to Lemonwalrus?

[image loading]


Download link for anyone who wants it.
drop
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Romania306 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-04-03 02:19:36
April 03 2008 02:19 GMT
#79
that backdooru map is really interesting

this fastest-style main idea is fantastic
I hope that the workers dont get stuck however

my idea is that you should make the patches there have like 2000 instead of 2500, so perhaps the zergs wouldnt get that much of an advantage. On the other hand, after this place would dry up, the terran could just float (and poor protoss would get stuck!)

I dont like this "broken bridge" thing, I would delete this. Actually you could make the map BIGGER!
What a pity we dont have any 6 player maps, as someone said, or any 192+ maps.

Actually, I always dream of someone taking lost temple and pasting it into a 256x256 map - and then drawing the rest of the map around :D
VIB
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Brazil3567 Posts
April 03 2008 11:40 GMT
#80
Me make round 3 player map ^^

Download:
http://rapidshare.de/files/39007955/_3_Round.scm.html

Pic:
[image loading]


My main goal was to promote harassing more harassing and harassing everywhere ^^ Wanted a fast paced map with lots of action.
Great people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
19:00
Ro4 Match 2
Soma vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 8004
StarCastTV_EN205
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech128
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 8249
Bisu 2269
Jaedong 1702
EffOrt 917
Horang2 372
Zeus 279
Larva 265
ZerO 233
Pusan 168
Mind 125
[ Show more ]
Hyun 108
Barracks 73
ggaemo 59
scan(afreeca) 50
Killer 45
Bale 39
NotJumperer 37
actioN 33
Sharp 32
Hm[arnc] 21
Sacsri 20
Shinee 18
ToSsGirL 16
Noble 9
Terrorterran 7
Dota 2
febbydoto88
League of Legends
JimRising 365
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1590
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King88
Other Games
ceh9645
crisheroes196
Sick164
Pyrionflax146
dupreeh104
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 104
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast8
• LUISG 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2287
• WagamamaTV59
League of Legends
• Jankos1162
Upcoming Events
INu's Battles
40m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
13h 40m
Patches Events
1d 5h
The PondCast
1d 23h
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.