• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:15
CEST 10:15
KST 17:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9001 users

ZOTAC Larva/Legend Incident Discussion - Page 15

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 19 Next All
mishimaBeef
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2259 Posts
December 05 2017 22:07 GMT
#281
i think the sleeping pose and the foot on keyboard was too far
Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
December 05 2017 22:46 GMT
#282
On December 06 2017 05:27 tanngard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2017 05:07 BlackJack wrote:
On December 06 2017 03:36 Djabanete wrote:
What's so funny about watching a weaker player get creatively humiliated in front of an audience?

I didn't tune in, but when I do, I tune in for Brood War, not whatever that was.

Sure, it would have been worse if Larva had pulled his opponents' pants down onstage, but it also would have been better if he had just used a bit of sense. Although I enjoyed his ASL performances, I'm not at all surprised ZOTAC isn't inviting him back.


I found it hilarious, casters were laughing, all of twitch chat seemed to think it was hilarious. I think this made the tournament a thousands times more entertaining than to watch a pro player destroy a non-pro player in an easy 3-0 with his best race. Who tunes in for that boring nothingness?

Did you watch Draco vs Larva? Was that boring you think? Now Larva did not even give Lx a chance to create a legit upset - first by offracing with his super good terran (lx would have prepared for zerg) and then for going completely clown mode in the last series.


I mean kind of... yeah. The only entertaining part was for the novelty of seeing one of the best in the world play someone that is not a professional player. The games weren't close, as soon as Larva's macro advantage kicked in during the mid-game it was a massacre. That novelty wears off pretty quick though and then you're just left wondering why anyone would even organize a showmatch between players of such skill disparities.
tanngard
Profile Joined April 2011
Norway1325 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-05 23:02:35
December 05 2017 22:58 GMT
#283
On December 06 2017 07:46 BlackJack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2017 05:27 tanngard wrote:
On December 06 2017 05:07 BlackJack wrote:
On December 06 2017 03:36 Djabanete wrote:
What's so funny about watching a weaker player get creatively humiliated in front of an audience?

I didn't tune in, but when I do, I tune in for Brood War, not whatever that was.

Sure, it would have been worse if Larva had pulled his opponents' pants down onstage, but it also would have been better if he had just used a bit of sense. Although I enjoyed his ASL performances, I'm not at all surprised ZOTAC isn't inviting him back.


I found it hilarious, casters were laughing, all of twitch chat seemed to think it was hilarious. I think this made the tournament a thousands times more entertaining than to watch a pro player destroy a non-pro player in an easy 3-0 with his best race. Who tunes in for that boring nothingness?

Did you watch Draco vs Larva? Was that boring you think? Now Larva did not even give Lx a chance to create a legit upset - first by offracing with his super good terran (lx would have prepared for zerg) and then for going completely clown mode in the last series.


I mean kind of... yeah. The only entertaining part was for the novelty of seeing one of the best in the world play someone that is not a professional player. The games weren't close, as soon as Larva's macro advantage kicked in during the mid-game it was a massacre. That novelty wears off pretty quick though and then you're just left wondering why anyone would even organize a showmatch between players of such skill disparities.

Well i can agree on some of that. It seems that some of these organizations believe that the skillgap between koreans and the rest is comparaple to what was true for sc2. And when you add to that the fact that players like Legend and Draco has not been active for 6-7 years, it makes the idea of upsets or having just good games pretty darn hopeless. At least if was better to have a korean for showmatches and not the actual tournament like they did with ESL in Italy.

Which brings me back to a question that have been left unanswered: was the prize pool intended for the american players only? Did Larva win any money? Even the commentators could not get a hold of this information during the event..
Invidentia
Profile Joined July 2013
Denmark30 Posts
December 05 2017 23:00 GMT
#284
On December 05 2017 23:52 tanngard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 05 2017 22:52 Invidentia wrote:
On December 05 2017 22:33 aQuaSC wrote:
On December 05 2017 22:25 Invidentia wrote:
On December 05 2017 21:41 tanngard wrote:
I dont think its okay to tell others how they should feel about being disrespected. I say this to those in this thread that is going around telling how others are "salty" or "bitches" for feeling like they were disrespected. This is as plain as it gets with empathy. However its advicable to inform whoever feels disrespected that this was not the intention of the offender. Its okay to admit that Larva made a mistake, without condemning him and literally banning him for lifetime.

The thing about bantering or BM, is that it is done in a social context. You dont do those kind of things without having any idea how the receiver will respond. In the cases where the BM is intended to be received as disrespectful, there has to be an initial provokation or bad history between the players (like cj entus players vs firebathero and the pylon heart thing).

It seems larva did not think about this, hence he did a mistake - he was more focused on entertaining his audience which is a good thing in and of itself, but he had not done the approprate clarification with Legend beforehand and considering the language barrier between them this would have been quite difficult to do anyway in a proper manner. Which is why its best to just keep it clean and respectful when dealing with someone you dont know at all and who comes from a different culture and language.

We cannot throw social decensy out the window just because it gives attention on media platforms. All attention is not good attention, because it will attract the worst kind of "fans". The kind who only cares about drama and sensationalism. I would rather have quality over quantity - thats whats going to last in the long run. So lets keep promoting respectful and civil behaviour.

So BM is always done where there is an initial provokation? What about the example in the tamest of all esports LoL controlled top down by the tyranny of Riot Games where SKT1 picked a troll composition against fnatic (I think, who really cares) for the sole reason that they won the world championship playing that previously. It made no sense, was a definite handicap, they still won the game, it was at a LoL showmatch, it was pretty embarrassing that fnatic couldn't even compete with a team trolling.
Here we have a professional team in a professional tournament in a gigantic esports doing BM for no other reason than entertainment. And what do you know it even matches up with being people of a different culture and language!

I don't get your comparison, I can't believe anyone could be that offended by what was done in-game between them, isn't it just about the part outside of the game? Successful nuke rush is nowhere near as disrespectful as pretending to be asleep during the game, laughing after the games because of how easy they were or pretending to play with a foot.

If they were switching seats during the League match you're mentioning or did other stuff Larva did it would only be similar, and then I'm pretty sure there would be consequences


Well done you managed to completely miss the point. I didn't write anywhere that the BM was on the same level and would never argue that. I'll try and highlight my sentence.

So BM is always done where there is an initial provokation?

^^^^

That would be my sentence that the example was for.


I did not say that BM should be acceptable only when done where there was an initial provokation, so congratulations on missing my point. I said that when it is intented to hurt someone, there needs to a warrant for it unless that someone want to appear as a complete douchebag. You have to see this from Legends perspective too. You cannot expect him to be cool with travelling half across the world to what he thought would be an event where he could show of some (relative) skill, have a "good time" and represent his country, to be ultimately made into the laughing stock by some dude he dont even know socially.

And to your original response to me: We should agree to disagree on what excactly? That there are social contexts to when its acceptable or even welcomed to make fun of someone else? And what is it about Legends response that you take issue with excactly? You dont have an understanding for him returning the favour?

And to your point of me taking a "moral highground" doesnt amount to much, because people are split on the issue of larvas transgressions. What you are missing here is that i talked about civil behaviour as a counter argument against those that are claiming here that the goal of gathering attention, justify the means of disrespecting someone else.

But even so, i think its ill adviced for a lot of people here to add there own standards unto someone else. Usually when someone feels trampled on in life, they have good reason to feel thats the case, even if people who cannot understand them from the inside like to claim otherwise. We could talk about, how larvas actions was not intended to hurt anyone, like i just wrote in my last comment, but i dont like repeating myself.


Yes I did imagine that might be returned onto me. What you did say however is " You dont do those kind of things without having any idea how the receiver will respond." And SKT1 surely had no idea how fnatic would respond to the BMing hence they would not be aware of the social context either.
So are you seriously claiming that people in competitions never humiliate their opponents and that competition follows the same social norms as regular society? People get humiliated in sports and esports all the time it's a different social setting to regular society. With the updates on Legends statement I take a lot less issue with calling Larva and idiot than if he as first reported called him mentally ill. Honestly I really don't care too much about what Legend does and doesn't do I care about what ZOTAC does.
And I agree that civil behaviour is more important than gathering attention. What I am saying is you don't get to dictate what is allowed in civilized society. What Larva was damaging to Legend ego, but nothing else. Some people may feel that it breaches the limits of what they consider permissible, but that is not universal law merely an opinion.
It's ill adviced for a lot of people to add their own standard unto someone else? Curious how that doesn't seem to apply to people putting their standards unto Larva.
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
December 05 2017 23:07 GMT
#285
On December 06 2017 06:39 iloveav wrote:
I am a bit sad that we have gotten to the point where making something that is so hilarious (every caster was laughing, I was laughing, everyone I know who saw it told me it was hilarious) is considered "disrespectful" and turns out into a ban for future events.

Seriously, we are 10 year olds? Guys, I go to work everyday and my boss shouts at me even when he is the one who fucked up. And guess what, I Taylor Swift shake it off and keep on working.

I can understand that someone gets upset, but are we supposed to help or cuddle everyone every time someone gets upset? How many times you guys have totally lost it when loosing a game you thought you had in the bag? Or something similar?

Nothing happens if you are offended, you grow up and learn to ignore it.

Here is the real bad part about this:
There are only 2 possibilities,
1. We show the world that BW is a place where BM is allowed and people are grown ups.
2. We do not allow BM and keep making it a politically correct environment (like we fucking can) till everyone has to behave (even as I am writing this its so stupid I know its never gonna happen).

And Zotac is taking a stance that we are all children and need to be protected from BM.... Good luck with that (thou i totally get their point, they did a 20 000 dollar event and got negative press.... how would you react?!).


I wouldn't even call it strictly BM. I would call it showboating. It's like Michael Jordan talking shit to his opponents and then hitting a free throw with his eyes closed, or Usain Bolt pumping his chest before he even crosses the finish line, or a boxer dropping their hands to their side and taunting their opponent to hit them while dodging their punches and then knocking them out. They're saying "I'm so much better than you look what I can do and still win."
Invidentia
Profile Joined July 2013
Denmark30 Posts
December 05 2017 23:16 GMT
#286
On December 06 2017 07:58 tanngard wrote:

Which brings me back to a question that have been left unanswered: was the prize pool intended for the american players only? Did Larva win any money? Even the commentators could not get a hold of this information during the event..


1st $10,000 South Korea Larva
2nd $3,000 China Legend

They both got a decent chunk of change out of the situation. This of course assuming that they give Larva the prize despite the ban, but I'm pretty sure he did get his money regardless.
outscar
Profile Joined September 2014
2832 Posts
December 05 2017 23:19 GMT
#287
On December 06 2017 08:07 BlackJack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2017 06:39 iloveav wrote:
I am a bit sad that we have gotten to the point where making something that is so hilarious (every caster was laughing, I was laughing, everyone I know who saw it told me it was hilarious) is considered "disrespectful" and turns out into a ban for future events.

Seriously, we are 10 year olds? Guys, I go to work everyday and my boss shouts at me even when he is the one who fucked up. And guess what, I Taylor Swift shake it off and keep on working.

I can understand that someone gets upset, but are we supposed to help or cuddle everyone every time someone gets upset? How many times you guys have totally lost it when loosing a game you thought you had in the bag? Or something similar?

Nothing happens if you are offended, you grow up and learn to ignore it.

Here is the real bad part about this:
There are only 2 possibilities,
1. We show the world that BW is a place where BM is allowed and people are grown ups.
2. We do not allow BM and keep making it a politically correct environment (like we fucking can) till everyone has to behave (even as I am writing this its so stupid I know its never gonna happen).

And Zotac is taking a stance that we are all children and need to be protected from BM.... Good luck with that (thou i totally get their point, they did a 20 000 dollar event and got negative press.... how would you react?!).


I wouldn't even call it strictly BM. I would call it showboating. It's like Michael Jordan talking shit to his opponents and then hitting a free throw with his eyes closed, or Usain Bolt pumping his chest before he even crosses the finish line, or a boxer dropping their hands to their side and taunting their opponent to hit them while dodging their punches and then knocking them out. They're saying "I'm so much better than you look what I can do and still win."


So true. We even know that Dereck Chisora made a huge disrespect towards brother's Klitschko: first at press conference he slapped older one Vitaliy and right before match vs. Vladimir he spitted water to his face from his mouth lol. And still he got away with it although got his ass beaten afterwards.
And now there we have Larva clowning around. Look at guy: he won't harm an ant. Banning is one of the most stupid fucked up decisions in BW history. It's even worse than what KeSPA did to players who typed something else than GG ingame.
sunbeams are never made like me...
AManHasNoName
Profile Joined September 2017
United States165 Posts
December 05 2017 23:22 GMT
#288
On December 06 2017 07:58 tanngard wrote:

Which brings me back to a question that have been left unanswered: was the prize pool intended for the american players only? Did Larva win any money? Even the commentators could not get a hold of this information during the event..


Full Prize pool info (From http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/bw-tournaments/527382-20000-zotac-cup-masters-scrm-na-sa )

MAIN EVENT:
Prize Pool: $20,000 USD
1st - $10,000
2nd - $4,000
3rd - $3,000
4th-6th - $1,000

SHOW EVENT:
Prize Pool:$15,000
1st - $10,000
2nd - $3,000
3rd - $1,000
4th- $1,000
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
ilikeredheads
Profile Joined August 2011
Canada1995 Posts
December 05 2017 23:48 GMT
#289
according to reddit, Larva isn't really banned by Zotac (not in events run by Zotac KR and America anyways). The ban is coming independently form Chinese branch so it seems there's a lot of miscommunication within the company. Zotac America had no problem with the showboating.
tanngard
Profile Joined April 2011
Norway1325 Posts
December 05 2017 23:50 GMT
#290
On December 06 2017 08:22 AManHasNoName wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2017 07:58 tanngard wrote:

Which brings me back to a question that have been left unanswered: was the prize pool intended for the american players only? Did Larva win any money? Even the commentators could not get a hold of this information during the event..


Full Prize pool info (From http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/bw-tournaments/527382-20000-zotac-cup-masters-scrm-na-sa )

MAIN EVENT:
Prize Pool: $20,000 USD
1st - $10,000
2nd - $4,000
3rd - $3,000
4th-6th - $1,000

SHOW EVENT:
Prize Pool:$15,000
1st - $10,000
2nd - $3,000
3rd - $1,000
4th- $1,000

Thank you!
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10566 Posts
December 05 2017 23:52 GMT
#291
On December 06 2017 08:48 ilikeredheads wrote:
according to reddit, Larva isn't really banned by Zotac (not in events run by Zotac KR and America anyways). The ban is coming independently form Chinese branch so it seems there's a lot of miscommunication within the company. Zotac America had no problem with the showboating.

I mean they seemed to be fine with showing all of it on the big camera so it would be pretty hard for them to make an argument against it. China is just incredibly salty.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
Invidentia
Profile Joined July 2013
Denmark30 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-06 00:24:17
December 05 2017 23:54 GMT
#292
On December 06 2017 08:22 AManHasNoName wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2017 07:58 tanngard wrote:

Which brings me back to a question that have been left unanswered: was the prize pool intended for the american players only? Did Larva win any money? Even the commentators could not get a hold of this information during the event..


Full Prize pool info (From http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/bw-tournaments/527382-20000-zotac-cup-masters-scrm-na-sa )

MAIN EVENT:
Prize Pool: $20,000 USD
1st - $10,000
2nd - $4,000
3rd - $3,000
4th-6th - $1,000

SHOW EVENT:
Prize Pool:$15,000
1st - $10,000
2nd - $3,000
3rd - $1,000
4th- $1,000


??

This is the prizepool listed for the showevent on the link you listed:

Prize Pool:
1st - $10,000
2nd - $3,000
3rd - $1,000
4th- $1,000

Maybe it was edited?

Edit: I'm just an idiot who can't read
AManHasNoName
Profile Joined September 2017
United States165 Posts
December 05 2017 23:55 GMT
#293
On December 06 2017 08:54 Invidentia wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2017 08:22 AManHasNoName wrote:
On December 06 2017 07:58 tanngard wrote:

Which brings me back to a question that have been left unanswered: was the prize pool intended for the american players only? Did Larva win any money? Even the commentators could not get a hold of this information during the event..


Full Prize pool info (From http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/bw-tournaments/527382-20000-zotac-cup-masters-scrm-na-sa )

MAIN EVENT:
Prize Pool: $20,000 USD
1st - $10,000
2nd - $4,000
3rd - $3,000
4th-6th - $1,000

SHOW EVENT:
Prize Pool:$15,000
1st - $10,000
2nd - $3,000
3rd - $1,000
4th- $1,000


??

This is the prizepool listed for the showevent on the link you listed:

Prize Pool:
1st - $10,000
2nd - $3,000
3rd - $1,000
4th- $1,000

Maybe it was edited?


That's the same as what I posted o.o
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Invidentia
Profile Joined July 2013
Denmark30 Posts
December 06 2017 00:23 GMT
#294
On December 06 2017 08:55 AManHasNoName wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2017 08:54 Invidentia wrote:
On December 06 2017 08:22 AManHasNoName wrote:
On December 06 2017 07:58 tanngard wrote:

Which brings me back to a question that have been left unanswered: was the prize pool intended for the american players only? Did Larva win any money? Even the commentators could not get a hold of this information during the event..


Full Prize pool info (From http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/bw-tournaments/527382-20000-zotac-cup-masters-scrm-na-sa )

MAIN EVENT:
Prize Pool: $20,000 USD
1st - $10,000
2nd - $4,000
3rd - $3,000
4th-6th - $1,000

SHOW EVENT:
Prize Pool:$15,000
1st - $10,000
2nd - $3,000
3rd - $1,000
4th- $1,000


??

This is the prizepool listed for the showevent on the link you listed:

Prize Pool:
1st - $10,000
2nd - $3,000
3rd - $1,000
4th- $1,000

Maybe it was edited?


That's the same as what I posted o.o


Hah FML I'm sorry I skimmed so fast I saw the combined prize pool as the first place prize.
tanngard
Profile Joined April 2011
Norway1325 Posts
December 06 2017 00:40 GMT
#295
On December 06 2017 08:00 Invidentia wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 05 2017 23:52 tanngard wrote:
On December 05 2017 22:52 Invidentia wrote:
On December 05 2017 22:33 aQuaSC wrote:
On December 05 2017 22:25 Invidentia wrote:
On December 05 2017 21:41 tanngard wrote:
I dont think its okay to tell others how they should feel about being disrespected. I say this to those in this thread that is going around telling how others are "salty" or "bitches" for feeling like they were disrespected. This is as plain as it gets with empathy. However its advicable to inform whoever feels disrespected that this was not the intention of the offender. Its okay to admit that Larva made a mistake, without condemning him and literally banning him for lifetime.

The thing about bantering or BM, is that it is done in a social context. You dont do those kind of things without having any idea how the receiver will respond. In the cases where the BM is intended to be received as disrespectful, there has to be an initial provokation or bad history between the players (like cj entus players vs firebathero and the pylon heart thing).

It seems larva did not think about this, hence he did a mistake - he was more focused on entertaining his audience which is a good thing in and of itself, but he had not done the approprate clarification with Legend beforehand and considering the language barrier between them this would have been quite difficult to do anyway in a proper manner. Which is why its best to just keep it clean and respectful when dealing with someone you dont know at all and who comes from a different culture and language.

We cannot throw social decensy out the window just because it gives attention on media platforms. All attention is not good attention, because it will attract the worst kind of "fans". The kind who only cares about drama and sensationalism. I would rather have quality over quantity - thats whats going to last in the long run. So lets keep promoting respectful and civil behaviour.

So BM is always done where there is an initial provokation? What about the example in the tamest of all esports LoL controlled top down by the tyranny of Riot Games where SKT1 picked a troll composition against fnatic (I think, who really cares) for the sole reason that they won the world championship playing that previously. It made no sense, was a definite handicap, they still won the game, it was at a LoL showmatch, it was pretty embarrassing that fnatic couldn't even compete with a team trolling.
Here we have a professional team in a professional tournament in a gigantic esports doing BM for no other reason than entertainment. And what do you know it even matches up with being people of a different culture and language!

I don't get your comparison, I can't believe anyone could be that offended by what was done in-game between them, isn't it just about the part outside of the game? Successful nuke rush is nowhere near as disrespectful as pretending to be asleep during the game, laughing after the games because of how easy they were or pretending to play with a foot.

If they were switching seats during the League match you're mentioning or did other stuff Larva did it would only be similar, and then I'm pretty sure there would be consequences


Well done you managed to completely miss the point. I didn't write anywhere that the BM was on the same level and would never argue that. I'll try and highlight my sentence.

So BM is always done where there is an initial provokation?

^^^^

That would be my sentence that the example was for.


I did not say that BM should be acceptable only when done where there was an initial provokation, so congratulations on missing my point. I said that when it is intented to hurt someone, there needs to a warrant for it unless that someone want to appear as a complete douchebag. You have to see this from Legends perspective too. You cannot expect him to be cool with travelling half across the world to what he thought would be an event where he could show of some (relative) skill, have a "good time" and represent his country, to be ultimately made into the laughing stock by some dude he dont even know socially.

And to your original response to me: We should agree to disagree on what excactly? That there are social contexts to when its acceptable or even welcomed to make fun of someone else? And what is it about Legends response that you take issue with excactly? You dont have an understanding for him returning the favour?

And to your point of me taking a "moral highground" doesnt amount to much, because people are split on the issue of larvas transgressions. What you are missing here is that i talked about civil behaviour as a counter argument against those that are claiming here that the goal of gathering attention, justify the means of disrespecting someone else.

But even so, i think its ill adviced for a lot of people here to add there own standards unto someone else. Usually when someone feels trampled on in life, they have good reason to feel thats the case, even if people who cannot understand them from the inside like to claim otherwise. We could talk about, how larvas actions was not intended to hurt anyone, like i just wrote in my last comment, but i dont like repeating myself.


Yes I did imagine that might be returned onto me. What you did say however is " You dont do those kind of things without having any idea how the receiver will respond." And SKT1 surely had no idea how fnatic would respond to the BMing hence they would not be aware of the social context either.
So are you seriously claiming that people in competitions never humiliate their opponents and that competition follows the same social norms as regular society? People get humiliated in sports and esports all the time it's a different social setting to regular society. With the updates on Legends statement I take a lot less issue with calling Larva and idiot than if he as first reported called him mentally ill. Honestly I really don't care too much about what Legend does and doesn't do I care about what ZOTAC does.
And I agree that civil behaviour is more important than gathering attention. What I am saying is you don't get to dictate what is allowed in civilized society. What Larva was damaging to Legend ego, but nothing else. Some people may feel that it breaches the limits of what they consider permissible, but that is not universal law merely an opinion.
It's ill adviced for a lot of people to add their own standard unto someone else? Curious how that doesn't seem to apply to people putting their standards unto Larva.

I have already written about how i dont agree with the ban on larva made by zotac, so I do somewhat agree with you on the point of not dictating social rules unto others. My intention has not been to try and dictate the behavior of someone else. I have never implied that larva is a bad person. I am making the argument that larva forgot to think about how his antics would be received by legend and his fans. Evryone can make such a mistake. I dont make that claim to pull my standards on someone else, its an honest attempt to localize what went wrong between the two players so hopefully there is something to be learned from these events. Because to not care about how your actions will be received by the person on the receiving end of them could never be correct if we want to live in a better society. Im sure larva would agree on that and hence why i say he was being neglecting, rather than that he was justifying it through some kind of nihilism or ill-intent. But of course we fuck up all the time and that is okay as long as we can learn from it. I believe that the social contexts for when BM is permissible, is very complex and its quite hard to write down definite definitions (like i guess i have tried), or try and prove our points by giving various examples. But going by this situation alone and definitions aside, the fact is that lx felt disrespected. And if life have taught me anything it is that when someone feels disrespected they usually have picked up upon something crucial, while the person doing the offending often have their minds closed off to the idea that they did something wrong because their Ego is afraid how that would imply that they're being a "bad" person. Of course it doesnt help the matter when the person being offended is confused by the intentions of the offender and goes to vicious counter attacks. Its a bad cycle.

I am doing mistakes all the time, but i hope with time i can grow as a person and do less of them. I will never be perfect though, so will have to be able to forgive myself even though its damned hard sometimes.
halomonian
Profile Joined January 2012
Brazil255 Posts
December 06 2017 01:30 GMT
#296
#freelarva

he did something to have fun in a game!
thoughts in chaos | enjOy[dream]
De4ngus
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States6533 Posts
December 06 2017 02:33 GMT
#297
On December 06 2017 05:27 tanngard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2017 05:07 BlackJack wrote:
On December 06 2017 03:36 Djabanete wrote:
What's so funny about watching a weaker player get creatively humiliated in front of an audience?

I didn't tune in, but when I do, I tune in for Brood War, not whatever that was.

Sure, it would have been worse if Larva had pulled his opponents' pants down onstage, but it also would have been better if he had just used a bit of sense. Although I enjoyed his ASL performances, I'm not at all surprised ZOTAC isn't inviting him back.


I found it hilarious, casters were laughing, all of twitch chat seemed to think it was hilarious. I think this made the tournament a thousands times more entertaining than to watch a pro player destroy a non-pro player in an easy 3-0 with his best race. Who tunes in for that boring nothingness?

Did you watch Draco vs Larva? Was that boring you think? Now Larva did not even give Lx a chance to create a legit upset - first by offracing with his super good terran (lx would have prepared for zerg) and then for going completely clown mode in the last series.

Larva did a troll build with an offrace so the games were harder? Holy crap the excuses are really evolving.
GANDHISAUCE
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10566 Posts
December 06 2017 02:38 GMT
#298
On December 06 2017 11:33 De4ngus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2017 05:27 tanngard wrote:
On December 06 2017 05:07 BlackJack wrote:
On December 06 2017 03:36 Djabanete wrote:
What's so funny about watching a weaker player get creatively humiliated in front of an audience?

I didn't tune in, but when I do, I tune in for Brood War, not whatever that was.

Sure, it would have been worse if Larva had pulled his opponents' pants down onstage, but it also would have been better if he had just used a bit of sense. Although I enjoyed his ASL performances, I'm not at all surprised ZOTAC isn't inviting him back.


I found it hilarious, casters were laughing, all of twitch chat seemed to think it was hilarious. I think this made the tournament a thousands times more entertaining than to watch a pro player destroy a non-pro player in an easy 3-0 with his best race. Who tunes in for that boring nothingness?

Did you watch Draco vs Larva? Was that boring you think? Now Larva did not even give Lx a chance to create a legit upset - first by offracing with his super good terran (lx would have prepared for zerg) and then for going completely clown mode in the last series.

Larva did a troll build with an offrace so the games were harder? Holy crap the excuses are really evolving.

The master swordsman does not fear the second best swordsman, he fears the one who has never picked up a sword in their life. Is this what they were going for?
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
tankgirl
Profile Blog Joined May 2016
Canada533 Posts
December 06 2017 02:44 GMT
#299
Disclaimer : I've not read anything past the OP

Give me a break. Larva was goaded by the commentators. I see no reason for this ban.
https://tl.net/forum/brood-war/627255-progamer-settings
TL+ Member
dp
Profile Joined August 2003
United States234 Posts
December 06 2017 03:20 GMT
#300
I don't really get what was funny about it. Didn't feel impressive or creative. And it was never necessarily risky on his end, beyond his first game drone kill. He would do something in down time then immediately play normal when actual game play was required. Not sure how that is showmanship.
:o
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 46m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 471
Hyuk 309
910 147
Dewaltoss 70
Killer 37
ZergMaN 32
Bale 26
NotJumperer 25
yabsab 17
Noble 7
Dota 2
XcaliburYe127
League of Legends
JimRising 491
Counter-Strike
olofmeister647
ceh9524
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1770
Khaldor385
Other Games
singsing867
Happy454
WinterStarcraft410
Sick227
Livibee190
Mew2King175
ArmadaUGS49
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick687
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream309
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH95
• LUISG 16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2314
League of Legends
• Stunt525
• Jankos409
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
2h 46m
Stellar Fest
4h 46m
The PondCast
1d 1h
OSC
1d 4h
Stellar Fest
1d 4h
OSC
1d 15h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.