• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:11
CEST 13:11
KST 20:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11505 users

[ABC] Amateur Brood War Coverage (Vol I) - Page 4

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
GeckoVOD
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
Germany814 Posts
August 05 2012 15:53 GMT
#61
On August 06 2012 00:51 Caihead wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 06 2012 00:42 ImbaTosS wrote:
On August 05 2012 21:38 Caihead wrote:
It would be really awesome / useful if any writers / graphix / TL admin or mod could help me / directly contact Chinese BW representatives, I can set up the communication channels for such events as exhibition matches, formal and informal partnerships, and so on. Right now it's pretty much me doing all of it myself and my schedule is really unforgiving. Please PM me if you are interested.

edit: There are plenty of intermediates i.e. chinese community members who are well spoken in english / korean, so the language barrier wouldn't be an issue as long as there was an intermediate present. Various contact infos can be given on request. Thank you

It might even be worth starting a new topic to try and pick up some official help for the cause. Sounds like an awful lot for one guy to do.


Recreationally too lol, im a free lancer with out affiliation basically ^-^

Will compile something soon then.


Please do! I'm not sure I can help (time and skill wise) and the post of yours doesn't really describe what exactly you need. I'd like to know a few more details before I try to help but make it worse / get hopes up for nothing :/
@DonGeckone on Twitterstuff // JOIN THE YODA FANCLUB OR YOU'RE REALLY REALLY UNCOOL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=398220
Pucca
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
Taiwan1280 Posts
August 05 2012 16:47 GMT
#62
On August 05 2012 18:46 2Pacalypse- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 05 2012 07:34 BWalma wrote:
Might I recommend something for this? The ABWC should make channels devoted to BW. Very much like TheShimmy did for the DRTL. Make a YouTube channel, make a Twitch so everyone can view the VODs. I've always wanted something like that just one place to find commentary. Get a coalition of casters and writers in order to get coverage I think thats where you might want to start and write amazing threads like this one ^_^.

I wanna cut this right here before it starts spreading any further. It's [ABC], not [ABWC] thank you very much. 'W' is silent. We're such a hardcore BW players that over the years we've developed a habit of calling BW just B, to save time. Example:
Player 1: Hey man, wanna play some B?
Player 2: Sure, I love B!


With that cleared, I wanna point out that we're just providing coverage. We can't make a YouTube and Twitch channel for tournaments we are not organizing.


Noted ^_^.
Master Chief
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10864 Posts
August 05 2012 18:15 GMT
#63
Nice writeup, I am a believer. I think we need to get CRTL / C ranks individual tournament started again, along side more daily tournaments , it wouldn't be hard, people just need to host them. I think even if it is for free or something as small as 5$ it would be awesome and fun to play in , the problem is that I guess there is never enough players ? But I think that after something amazing like this is released then more people will be interested in playing BW again, I enjoyed reading this and you're guys enthusiasm towards BW, it is great. I will gladly take some time to help with managing something like a CRTL or C ranks individual tournament, I don't have money to provide as a prize incentive but I would be willing to donate gaming mice as a prize for the tournaments to help the cause.

BW Fighting~
God bless~
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
GeckoVOD
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
Germany814 Posts
August 05 2012 18:26 GMT
#64
On August 06 2012 03:15 GGzerG wrote:
Nice writeup, I am a believer. I think we need to get CRTL / C ranks individual tournament started again, along side more daily tournaments , it wouldn't be hard, people just need to host them. I think even if it is for free or something as small as 5$ it would be awesome and fun to play in , the problem is that I guess there is never enough players ? But I think that after something amazing like this is released then more people will be interested in playing BW again, I enjoyed reading this and you're guys enthusiasm towards BW, it is great. I will gladly take some time to help with managing something like a CRTL or C ranks individual tournament, I don't have money to provide as a prize incentive but I would be willing to donate gaming mice as a prize for the tournaments to help the cause.

BW Fighting~
God bless~


You needed to ship the mouse abroad if it wasn't USA only. That is money again. No idea how expensive that would be USA only. But if you had to pay ~20$ as winner just to get a mouse, it wouldn't really pay off.

Also, I don't think the solution is to randomly throw money into tournaments, that's the least acceptable thing, especially for low level tournaments. What originally got me to play Brood War was the fun, no agenda, big prizes or other money based stuff. Just the passion everyone had, the depth of the game and the challenge it was to get only halfway decent. Foreign Brood War survived and had a big amateur scene (speaking of players ranked D/C max), not because there were thousands of $$$ in it. Maybe it's just me being an old grumpy idiot, but I can't figure out what this esports madness should possibly bring other than forced happiness and artificially hyped tours. Do it because you love it, not because you are desperate =/
@DonGeckone on Twitterstuff // JOIN THE YODA FANCLUB OR YOU'RE REALLY REALLY UNCOOL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=398220
[sc1f]eonzerg
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Belgium7088 Posts
August 05 2012 18:37 GMT
#65
i feel that we need learn from the scbw cuban scene.http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Cuban_Scene
L3gendary
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada1470 Posts
August 05 2012 18:39 GMT
#66
On August 06 2012 03:26 Gecko[Xp] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 06 2012 03:15 GGzerG wrote:
Nice writeup, I am a believer. I think we need to get CRTL / C ranks individual tournament started again, along side more daily tournaments , it wouldn't be hard, people just need to host them. I think even if it is for free or something as small as 5$ it would be awesome and fun to play in , the problem is that I guess there is never enough players ? But I think that after something amazing like this is released then more people will be interested in playing BW again, I enjoyed reading this and you're guys enthusiasm towards BW, it is great. I will gladly take some time to help with managing something like a CRTL or C ranks individual tournament, I don't have money to provide as a prize incentive but I would be willing to donate gaming mice as a prize for the tournaments to help the cause.

BW Fighting~
God bless~


You needed to ship the mouse abroad if it wasn't USA only. That is money again. No idea how expensive that would be USA only. But if you had to pay ~20$ as winner just to get a mouse, it wouldn't really pay off.

Also, I don't think the solution is to randomly throw money into tournaments, that's the least acceptable thing, especially for low level tournaments. What originally got me to play Brood War was the fun, no agenda, big prizes or other money based stuff. Just the passion everyone had, the depth of the game and the challenge it was to get only halfway decent. Foreign Brood War survived and had a big amateur scene (speaking of players ranked D/C max), not because there were thousands of $$$ in it. Maybe it's just me being an old grumpy idiot, but I can't figure out what this esports madness should possibly bring other than forced happiness and artificially hyped tours. Do it because you love it, not because you are desperate =/


You're right but from my experience playing in other amateur scenes, without a prize you get a lot of no shows and walkovers. There's lots of excitement for the beginning stages of a tournament but can often end without completion if people see it as a low priority in their schedules since there's no prize.
Watching Jaedong play purifies my eyes. -Coach Ju Hoon
puppykiller
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States3137 Posts
August 05 2012 18:41 GMT
#67
On August 06 2012 03:26 Gecko[Xp] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 06 2012 03:15 GGzerG wrote:
Nice writeup, I am a believer. I think we need to get CRTL / C ranks individual tournament started again, along side more daily tournaments , it wouldn't be hard, people just need to host them. I think even if it is for free or something as small as 5$ it would be awesome and fun to play in , the problem is that I guess there is never enough players ? But I think that after something amazing like this is released then more people will be interested in playing BW again, I enjoyed reading this and you're guys enthusiasm towards BW, it is great. I will gladly take some time to help with managing something like a CRTL or C ranks individual tournament, I don't have money to provide as a prize incentive but I would be willing to donate gaming mice as a prize for the tournaments to help the cause.

BW Fighting~
God bless~


You needed to ship the mouse abroad if it wasn't USA only. That is money again. No idea how expensive that would be USA only. But if you had to pay ~20$ as winner just to get a mouse, it wouldn't really pay off.

Also, I don't think the solution is to randomly throw money into tournaments, that's the least acceptable thing, especially for low level tournaments. What originally got me to play Brood War was the fun, no agenda, big prizes or other money based stuff. Just the passion everyone had, the depth of the game and the challenge it was to get only halfway decent. Foreign Brood War survived and had a big amateur scene (speaking of players ranked D/C max), not because there were thousands of $$$ in it. Maybe it's just me being an old grumpy idiot, but I can't figure out what this esports madness should possibly bring other than forced happiness and artificially hyped tours. Do it because you love it, not because you are desperate =/


I agree with Gecko. I think that we should limit the amount of money we spend on prizes. No fan likes donating. I think people will still play just for the prestige.
Why would I play sctoo when I can play BW?
GeckoVOD
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
Germany814 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-05 19:10:06
August 05 2012 18:48 GMT
#68
On August 06 2012 03:39 L3gendary wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 06 2012 03:26 Gecko[Xp] wrote:
On August 06 2012 03:15 GGzerG wrote:
Nice writeup, I am a believer. I think we need to get CRTL / C ranks individual tournament started again, along side more daily tournaments , it wouldn't be hard, people just need to host them. I think even if it is for free or something as small as 5$ it would be awesome and fun to play in , the problem is that I guess there is never enough players ? But I think that after something amazing like this is released then more people will be interested in playing BW again, I enjoyed reading this and you're guys enthusiasm towards BW, it is great. I will gladly take some time to help with managing something like a CRTL or C ranks individual tournament, I don't have money to provide as a prize incentive but I would be willing to donate gaming mice as a prize for the tournaments to help the cause.

BW Fighting~
God bless~


You needed to ship the mouse abroad if it wasn't USA only. That is money again. No idea how expensive that would be USA only. But if you had to pay ~20$ as winner just to get a mouse, it wouldn't really pay off.

Also, I don't think the solution is to randomly throw money into tournaments, that's the least acceptable thing, especially for low level tournaments. What originally got me to play Brood War was the fun, no agenda, big prizes or other money based stuff. Just the passion everyone had, the depth of the game and the challenge it was to get only halfway decent. Foreign Brood War survived and had a big amateur scene (speaking of players ranked D/C max), not because there were thousands of $$$ in it. Maybe it's just me being an old grumpy idiot, but I can't figure out what this esports madness should possibly bring other than forced happiness and artificially hyped tours. Do it because you love it, not because you are desperate =/


You're right but from my experience playing in other amateur scenes, without a prize you get a lot of no shows and walkovers. There's lots of excitement for the beginning stages of a tournament but can often end without completion if people see it as a low priority in their schedules since there's no prize.


Yes, that's a good point. The community is growing older and people will not show for stuff, because the real life is important. But still, I'd like to have a slight shift in the attitude. The DRTLs gives me a lot of hope, it seems a lot of newer players are competing again and build a sub community of their own. This is the kind of stuff that needs support, too, after all that's where new talents come from. I for one could never really relate to those, that were only sticking around to grab money, even though they displayed great skill sometimes.

Edit:
I don't want to say that money prized events are bad, the contrary, but it should not be our only and most important goal to finance a handful of top players. A tour with money can be good, but it is not the key to entertainment.
@DonGeckone on Twitterstuff // JOIN THE YODA FANCLUB OR YOU'RE REALLY REALLY UNCOOL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=398220
thezanursic
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
5504 Posts
August 05 2012 22:07 GMT
#69
On August 06 2012 03:26 Gecko[Xp] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 06 2012 03:15 GGzerG wrote:
Nice writeup, I am a believer. I think we need to get CRTL / C ranks individual tournament started again, along side more daily tournaments , it wouldn't be hard, people just need to host them. I think even if it is for free or something as small as 5$ it would be awesome and fun to play in , the problem is that I guess there is never enough players ? But I think that after something amazing like this is released then more people will be interested in playing BW again, I enjoyed reading this and you're guys enthusiasm towards BW, it is great. I will gladly take some time to help with managing something like a CRTL or C ranks individual tournament, I don't have money to provide as a prize incentive but I would be willing to donate gaming mice as a prize for the tournaments to help the cause.

BW Fighting~
God bless~


You needed to ship the mouse abroad if it wasn't USA only. That is money again. No idea how expensive that would be USA only. But if you had to pay ~20$ as winner just to get a mouse, it wouldn't really pay off.

Also, I don't think the solution is to randomly throw money into tournaments, that's the least acceptable thing, especially for low level tournaments. What originally got me to play Brood War was the fun, no agenda, big prizes or other money based stuff. Just the passion everyone had, the depth of the game and the challenge it was to get only halfway decent. Foreign Brood War survived and had a big amateur scene (speaking of players ranked D/C max), not because there were thousands of $$$ in it. Maybe it's just me being an old grumpy idiot, but I can't figure out what this esports madness should possibly bring other than forced happiness and artificially hyped tours. Do it because you love it, not because you are desperate =/


I disagree

10$ weekly a week C tournamets

and

20$ weekly A/B tournaments

Would be enough people need this kinds of low level tournaments. ISL and Teamleagues are enough to keep high level people who love BW playing.

For instance let's say we get a 10$ weekly C and 20$ weekly A/B and that's what 30$ per week and about 1500$ per year now that's not very costly (I'm assuming other things don't cost much, but I don't know).

I think we could probably kickstart a weekly tournament for all ranks and then divide them between the tournaments.

We could actually do a lot with a kickstarter, but most importantly of all is advertisement and I don't mean the revenue type, but we advertising Brood war to different communities posting an indepth post about BW on community sites such as reddit never hurts as long as you are constructive.

Do you know what? If you play lol go to the community site of your choice and post about Brood war in the appropriate section of the forum.

Brood war doesn't need massive amounts of numbers to sustain itself, but newblood would be good.



I would also try to basically beg Blizzard to release BW on to stream as I explained why in this thread:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=358115 , but everybody is being negative about it even tho we could theoretically at least try.
http://i45.tinypic.com/9j2cdc.jpg Let it be so!
GeckoVOD
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
Germany814 Posts
August 05 2012 22:43 GMT
#70
On August 06 2012 07:07 thezanursic wrote:
...


Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the efforts everyone makes. More so, when these efforts are real, as in people actually do something. However, this discussion has nothing to do with the thread and I already regret to post something that is more or less completely off topic, that's why I'll stop here and maybe outsource it to a blog or something.

All in all, we should appreciate the spirit behind this project and the work 2pac- and the others put in here (just want to point out I didn't really contribute anything so far, all hail 2pac-!), as it shows there's still something to watch and I'm sure the upcoming volumes will bring even more.
@DonGeckone on Twitterstuff // JOIN THE YODA FANCLUB OR YOU'RE REALLY REALLY UNCOOL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=398220
Anomarad
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada565 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-05 22:53:18
August 05 2012 22:53 GMT
#71
I think for Vol 2 it would be cool to have some player profiles/interviews maybe with a picture, give the players some faces.

Just a suggestion
ZaRaki_
Profile Joined March 2011
Spain126 Posts
August 06 2012 00:01 GMT
#72
love u guys bw <3
Ribbon
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5278 Posts
August 06 2012 00:39 GMT
#73
On August 06 2012 07:07 thezanursic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 06 2012 03:26 Gecko[Xp] wrote:
On August 06 2012 03:15 GGzerG wrote:
Nice writeup, I am a believer. I think we need to get CRTL / C ranks individual tournament started again, along side more daily tournaments , it wouldn't be hard, people just need to host them. I think even if it is for free or something as small as 5$ it would be awesome and fun to play in , the problem is that I guess there is never enough players ? But I think that after something amazing like this is released then more people will be interested in playing BW again, I enjoyed reading this and you're guys enthusiasm towards BW, it is great. I will gladly take some time to help with managing something like a CRTL or C ranks individual tournament, I don't have money to provide as a prize incentive but I would be willing to donate gaming mice as a prize for the tournaments to help the cause.

BW Fighting~
God bless~


You needed to ship the mouse abroad if it wasn't USA only. That is money again. No idea how expensive that would be USA only. But if you had to pay ~20$ as winner just to get a mouse, it wouldn't really pay off.

Also, I don't think the solution is to randomly throw money into tournaments, that's the least acceptable thing, especially for low level tournaments. What originally got me to play Brood War was the fun, no agenda, big prizes or other money based stuff. Just the passion everyone had, the depth of the game and the challenge it was to get only halfway decent. Foreign Brood War survived and had a big amateur scene (speaking of players ranked D/C max), not because there were thousands of $$$ in it. Maybe it's just me being an old grumpy idiot, but I can't figure out what this esports madness should possibly bring other than forced happiness and artificially hyped tours. Do it because you love it, not because you are desperate =/


I disagree

10$ weekly a week C tournamets

and

20$ weekly A/B tournaments

Would be enough people need this kinds of low level tournaments. ISL and Teamleagues are enough to keep high level people who love BW playing.

For instance let's say we get a 10$ weekly C and 20$ weekly A/B and that's what 30$ per week and about 1500$ per year now that's not very costly (I'm assuming other things don't cost much, but I don't know).

I think we could probably kickstart a weekly tournament for all ranks and then divide them between the tournaments.


I think we'll end up with a few different tournament "leagues" with different sources of funding. I think it's reasonable to have

A weekly cup with little to no prizepool
12 $100+ tournaments a year (one a month. Game's been sitting on the prize pools for two separate Ribbon tournaments for a while)
The ISL.

We could, if we wanted to, make the smaller tournaments count for ranking among the bigger ones in some way, and have it be more like a giant neverending tournament. Like, lets say I did a tournament every 3 months, and invited the person who did best in the Defiler Weekly cups since my last tournament. And while my "TvT only but you're only allowed to make 1 factory all game so you can't mech" ideas are silly (and, actually, awesome), a more serious monthly tournament could be used for ISL ranking. This allows the smaller tournaments to have a bit more oomph, because they can help you win the bigger ones.
dRaW
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada5744 Posts
August 06 2012 01:41 GMT
#74
hey this is great, just make sure to keep up to date :D
I don't need luck, luck is for noobs, good luck to you though
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
August 06 2012 01:42 GMT
#75
Fucking incredible, this is just, terrific. I love this move!
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Caihead
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada8550 Posts
August 06 2012 01:55 GMT
#76
On August 06 2012 00:53 Gecko[Xp] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 06 2012 00:51 Caihead wrote:
On August 06 2012 00:42 ImbaTosS wrote:
On August 05 2012 21:38 Caihead wrote:
It would be really awesome / useful if any writers / graphix / TL admin or mod could help me / directly contact Chinese BW representatives, I can set up the communication channels for such events as exhibition matches, formal and informal partnerships, and so on. Right now it's pretty much me doing all of it myself and my schedule is really unforgiving. Please PM me if you are interested.

edit: There are plenty of intermediates i.e. chinese community members who are well spoken in english / korean, so the language barrier wouldn't be an issue as long as there was an intermediate present. Various contact infos can be given on request. Thank you

It might even be worth starting a new topic to try and pick up some official help for the cause. Sounds like an awful lot for one guy to do.


Recreationally too lol, im a free lancer with out affiliation basically ^-^

Will compile something soon then.


Please do! I'm not sure I can help (time and skill wise) and the post of yours doesn't really describe what exactly you need. I'd like to know a few more details before I try to help but make it worse / get hopes up for nothing :/


well everything I have so far is basically compiled in this. Since I'm not "officially" affiliated with any of the groups (TL, plu, 8da, playsc, wfbrood, liansai, or management of the teams etc) I'm not sure how to phrase my requests. Will try to put something together though.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=349688
"If you're not living in the US or are a US Citizen, please do not tell us how to vote or how you want our country to be governed." - Serpest, American Hero
Caihead
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada8550 Posts
August 06 2012 02:03 GMT
#77
On August 06 2012 03:41 puppykiller wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 06 2012 03:26 Gecko[Xp] wrote:
On August 06 2012 03:15 GGzerG wrote:
Nice writeup, I am a believer. I think we need to get CRTL / C ranks individual tournament started again, along side more daily tournaments , it wouldn't be hard, people just need to host them. I think even if it is for free or something as small as 5$ it would be awesome and fun to play in , the problem is that I guess there is never enough players ? But I think that after something amazing like this is released then more people will be interested in playing BW again, I enjoyed reading this and you're guys enthusiasm towards BW, it is great. I will gladly take some time to help with managing something like a CRTL or C ranks individual tournament, I don't have money to provide as a prize incentive but I would be willing to donate gaming mice as a prize for the tournaments to help the cause.

BW Fighting~
God bless~


You needed to ship the mouse abroad if it wasn't USA only. That is money again. No idea how expensive that would be USA only. But if you had to pay ~20$ as winner just to get a mouse, it wouldn't really pay off.

Also, I don't think the solution is to randomly throw money into tournaments, that's the least acceptable thing, especially for low level tournaments. What originally got me to play Brood War was the fun, no agenda, big prizes or other money based stuff. Just the passion everyone had, the depth of the game and the challenge it was to get only halfway decent. Foreign Brood War survived and had a big amateur scene (speaking of players ranked D/C max), not because there were thousands of $$$ in it. Maybe it's just me being an old grumpy idiot, but I can't figure out what this esports madness should possibly bring other than forced happiness and artificially hyped tours. Do it because you love it, not because you are desperate =/


I agree with Gecko. I think that we should limit the amount of money we spend on prizes. No fan likes donating. I think people will still play just for the prestige.


Well in China most fans do donate, infact most fans would rather donate to fund a prize pool for a tourny than buy merchandise, the C-OSL is entirely funded by donations.
"If you're not living in the US or are a US Citizen, please do not tell us how to vote or how you want our country to be governed." - Serpest, American Hero
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
August 06 2012 03:23 GMT
#78
On August 06 2012 11:03 Caihead wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 06 2012 03:41 puppykiller wrote:
On August 06 2012 03:26 Gecko[Xp] wrote:
On August 06 2012 03:15 GGzerG wrote:
Nice writeup, I am a believer. I think we need to get CRTL / C ranks individual tournament started again, along side more daily tournaments , it wouldn't be hard, people just need to host them. I think even if it is for free or something as small as 5$ it would be awesome and fun to play in , the problem is that I guess there is never enough players ? But I think that after something amazing like this is released then more people will be interested in playing BW again, I enjoyed reading this and you're guys enthusiasm towards BW, it is great. I will gladly take some time to help with managing something like a CRTL or C ranks individual tournament, I don't have money to provide as a prize incentive but I would be willing to donate gaming mice as a prize for the tournaments to help the cause.

BW Fighting~
God bless~


You needed to ship the mouse abroad if it wasn't USA only. That is money again. No idea how expensive that would be USA only. But if you had to pay ~20$ as winner just to get a mouse, it wouldn't really pay off.

Also, I don't think the solution is to randomly throw money into tournaments, that's the least acceptable thing, especially for low level tournaments. What originally got me to play Brood War was the fun, no agenda, big prizes or other money based stuff. Just the passion everyone had, the depth of the game and the challenge it was to get only halfway decent. Foreign Brood War survived and had a big amateur scene (speaking of players ranked D/C max), not because there were thousands of $$$ in it. Maybe it's just me being an old grumpy idiot, but I can't figure out what this esports madness should possibly bring other than forced happiness and artificially hyped tours. Do it because you love it, not because you are desperate =/


I agree with Gecko. I think that we should limit the amount of money we spend on prizes. No fan likes donating. I think people will still play just for the prestige.


Well in China most fans do donate, infact most fans would rather donate to fund a prize pool for a tourny than buy merchandise, the C-OSL is entirely funded by donations.


When I'll secure myself a proper career, I'll gladly support the scene with $1.5K/year.

Idk why didn't the actual OSL switched their sponsorship method with Pay Per View method though.
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
Ribbon
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5278 Posts
August 06 2012 05:55 GMT
#79
On August 06 2012 12:23 Xiphos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 06 2012 11:03 Caihead wrote:
On August 06 2012 03:41 puppykiller wrote:
On August 06 2012 03:26 Gecko[Xp] wrote:
On August 06 2012 03:15 GGzerG wrote:
Nice writeup, I am a believer. I think we need to get CRTL / C ranks individual tournament started again, along side more daily tournaments , it wouldn't be hard, people just need to host them. I think even if it is for free or something as small as 5$ it would be awesome and fun to play in , the problem is that I guess there is never enough players ? But I think that after something amazing like this is released then more people will be interested in playing BW again, I enjoyed reading this and you're guys enthusiasm towards BW, it is great. I will gladly take some time to help with managing something like a CRTL or C ranks individual tournament, I don't have money to provide as a prize incentive but I would be willing to donate gaming mice as a prize for the tournaments to help the cause.

BW Fighting~
God bless~


You needed to ship the mouse abroad if it wasn't USA only. That is money again. No idea how expensive that would be USA only. But if you had to pay ~20$ as winner just to get a mouse, it wouldn't really pay off.

Also, I don't think the solution is to randomly throw money into tournaments, that's the least acceptable thing, especially for low level tournaments. What originally got me to play Brood War was the fun, no agenda, big prizes or other money based stuff. Just the passion everyone had, the depth of the game and the challenge it was to get only halfway decent. Foreign Brood War survived and had a big amateur scene (speaking of players ranked D/C max), not because there were thousands of $$$ in it. Maybe it's just me being an old grumpy idiot, but I can't figure out what this esports madness should possibly bring other than forced happiness and artificially hyped tours. Do it because you love it, not because you are desperate =/


I agree with Gecko. I think that we should limit the amount of money we spend on prizes. No fan likes donating. I think people will still play just for the prestige.


Well in China most fans do donate, infact most fans would rather donate to fund a prize pool for a tourny than buy merchandise, the C-OSL is entirely funded by donations.


When I'll secure myself a proper career, I'll gladly support the scene with $1.5K/year.

Idk why didn't the actual OSL switched their sponsorship method with Pay Per View method though.


Let's be inspired by KeSPA's triumphs, and learn from their mistakes.
Jonoman92
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States9110 Posts
August 06 2012 08:29 GMT
#80
Nicely done 2pac! THSL is supposed to be fun? I regard my success in that as a life or death matter.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings98
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko172
ProTech129
SHIN 59
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 6878
Hyuk 1159
Mind 944
Shuttle 863
Bisu 857
Larva 665
Mini 188
firebathero 154
EffOrt 128
Soma 123
[ Show more ]
Last 109
Leta 105
Zeus 84
Hyun 74
ZerO 66
Pusan 61
sorry 47
Hm[arnc] 40
Sexy 40
PianO 39
Killer 33
Bale 32
ToSsGirL 31
Trap 27
Aegong 21
hero 16
yabsab 15
JulyZerg 8
Noble 7
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
XcaliburYe677
XaKoH 465
Dendi115
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1468
Other Games
gofns29871
singsing2245
B2W.Neo375
crisheroes302
OGKoka 175
Mew2King96
ArmadaUGS53
DeMusliM51
Livibee48
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream190
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 65
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP23
• Gemini_19 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7318
League of Legends
• Jankos1572
Other Games
• WagamamaTV41
Upcoming Events
FEL
4h 49m
AI Arena Tournament
5h 49m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
7h 49m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
22h 49m
INu's Battles
1d
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 7h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 12h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 22h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.