• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:28
CEST 18:28
KST 01:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)47Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9142 users

Tandem StarCraft - Page 14

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 19 Next All
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
February 16 2010 00:44 GMT
#261
I don't think that's a good solution. That would mean I could kill a reaver and my ally might not get it, and then I'll kill a zealot and he'll get it... Makes it very lucky based annoying imo.

It would be better to have units stop transfering when a player has 150 supply or something, that way the trigger can start acting again when he loses too many units. That or to have units stop transferring after a time limit so that it would be easier to finish players off.

It would be much nicer if we could figure this out properly... but it seems like almost an impossible problem. We would have to be able to keep track of every unit that gets moved... The only line of thought I have is creating 1 unit that transfers, and one unit that goes on an island for some neutral player... But it doesn't work so well if you're getting units that are the same race as you... And also it will make the game lag faster anyway since twice as many units are created, even though they do expire...
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
oberon
Profile Joined May 2009
United States1320 Posts
February 16 2010 01:29 GMT
#262
What if units you were getting were "queued" on a neutral island, with a beacon that summoned them, but a timer? Every time you pull a unit that your partner has earned for you, you must wait 30 seconds (or whatever) before pulling again. You could also have a beacon for destroying units on this island, and a cap on its population (no more than X units available to "drop"). That'd:

-allow you to time when things show up, which adds another (thin) layer of tactics.
-allow you to get the units you actually care about, rather than a random system where you could get unlucky.
-make units more likely to go away.
-cap the flood of incoming units.

The number of units is still theoretically unbounded, but it'd take longer to get there.

--oberon
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
February 16 2010 03:59 GMT
#263
I don't know the solution but I'll tell you the problem:

I just sit with a billion Tanks. I become a black hole - units are moving around but once they come to me they never get recirculated. Then I just move out and rape. There needs to be a solution to that.
Moderator
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
February 16 2010 04:06 GMT
#264
That's kinda deep, we might have to call in a philosophy major.
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
oberon
Profile Joined May 2009
United States1320 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-16 04:12:24
February 16 2010 04:11 GMT
#265
On February 16 2010 12:59 Chill wrote:
I don't know the solution but I'll tell you the problem:

I just sit with a billion Tanks. I become a black hole - units are moving around but once they come to me they never get recirculated. Then I just move out and rape. There needs to be a solution to that.


Ah, so it's a gameplay/strategy issue. That changes things somewhat.

The problem with this in real bughouse is that you can drop anywhere -- it's easier to attack than defend, because to attack you only have to hit one place, but to defend you have to effectively attack everywhere your opponent can attack from. Additionally, attacking pieces typically exert control over the center of the board, while defensive ones often only serve their one purpose. Another possible turtling equivalent (not moving on one board) is limited by the clocks.

That said, I'm not sure how to port any of that, fully or partially, to BW.

On to the more specific case: assuming your strategy is undominated, there'd be a Nash equilibrium of no one ever doing anything but turtling. That kinda sucks. There are two possibilities I can see:

1) This is true. There needs to be more attacking incentive to upset this equilibrium.
2) This is not true. You played with people who were too loose with their units, allowing you to sit around doing nothing.

I'm not good enough to tell if (2) is true, so I'll focus on (1). I think one way to do this would be to limit minerals/gas per expansion -- you can't turtle if you run out of things to mine super-fast. What if minerals and gas, instead of 1500/5000 were 500/1500? Would this incentivize faster, more aggressive games? Would it still allow standard build-orders, and avoid upsetting map balance?

I'm interested in hearing what people think.

Edit:

On February 16 2010 13:06 Chef wrote:
That's kinda deep, we might have to call in a philosophy major.


I had a minor, which was 5/8ths of a major. Can I give 5/8ths of a response?

--oberon
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
February 16 2010 04:31 GMT
#266
I think the success of this map depends on it being accessible. The concept was normal StarCraft, with this one fairly automatic feature that would make the game really interesting and force players to react. By changing minerals to 500/1500, you change the balance of normal StarCraft. Zerg will have a much easier time I think of securing new expansions. Even though it's Tandem StarCraft, I don't think this will rectify itself.

This is just my opinion of course...

I think it would be ideal to work from solutions that keep the map accessible to people who have not played it before.

If we solve units transferring too many times, we will solve the problem Chill is talking about at the same time. I don't think this map has to completely imitate bughouse chess, it's just what has inspired it. What makes this map fun and cool is getting to strategise based on units your ally kills. What makes it bad right now is that armies never get smaller, so that an opponent cannot be worn down like in normal StarCraft, and games become very silly.
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
oberon
Profile Joined May 2009
United States1320 Posts
February 16 2010 04:45 GMT
#267
On February 16 2010 13:31 Chef wrote:
I think the success of this map depends on it being accessible. The concept was normal StarCraft, with this one fairly automatic feature that would make the game really interesting and force players to react. By changing minerals to 500/1500, you change the balance of normal StarCraft. Zerg will have a much easier time I think of securing new expansions. Even though it's Tandem StarCraft, I don't think this will rectify itself.

This is just my opinion of course...

I think it would be ideal to work from solutions that keep the map accessible to people who have not played it before.

If we solve units transferring too many times, we will solve the problem Chill is talking about at the same time. I don't think this map has to completely imitate bughouse chess, it's just what has inspired it. What makes this map fun and cool is getting to strategise based on units your ally kills. What makes it bad right now is that armies never get smaller, so that an opponent cannot be worn down like in normal StarCraft, and games become very silly.


Read Chill's post carefully. I don't see how preventing units from multi-cycling solves his issue. I could be missing something, of course.

--oberon
huameng
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States1133 Posts
February 16 2010 04:57 GMT
#268
On February 16 2010 12:59 Chill wrote:
I don't know the solution but I'll tell you the problem:

I just sit with a billion Tanks. I become a black hole - units are moving around but once they come to me they never get recirculated. Then I just move out and rape. There needs to be a solution to that.


Shouldn't this just not happen? I mean, if the terran player isn't losing units, presumably his opponent isn't losing units either, and it just splits into 2 1v1s with a pussy terran who is probably going to lose. This isn't very fun, but that's the turtler's fault. If the terran's opponent tries to force something, then, well, he should just not do that instead.
skating
oberon
Profile Joined May 2009
United States1320 Posts
February 16 2010 04:59 GMT
#269
On February 16 2010 13:57 huameng wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2010 12:59 Chill wrote:
I don't know the solution but I'll tell you the problem:

I just sit with a billion Tanks. I become a black hole - units are moving around but once they come to me they never get recirculated. Then I just move out and rape. There needs to be a solution to that.


Shouldn't this just not happen? I mean, if the terran player isn't losing units, presumably his opponent isn't losing units either, and it just splits into 2 1v1s with a pussy terran who is probably going to lose. This isn't very fun, but that's the turtler's fault. If the terran's opponent tries to force something, then, well, he should just not do that instead.


This is basically (2) on my list above -- other players reacted poorly to what Chill did. Hard to say, though.

--oberon
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
February 16 2010 19:50 GMT
#270
On February 16 2010 13:57 huameng wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2010 12:59 Chill wrote:
I don't know the solution but I'll tell you the problem:

I just sit with a billion Tanks. I become a black hole - units are moving around but once they come to me they never get recirculated. Then I just move out and rape. There needs to be a solution to that.


Shouldn't this just not happen? I mean, if the terran player isn't losing units, presumably his opponent isn't losing units either, and it just splits into 2 1v1s with a pussy terran who is probably going to lose. This isn't very fun, but that's the turtler's fault. If the terran's opponent tries to force something, then, well, he should just not do that instead.


It's the nature of the game. In a normal 1v1 someone would just expand a lot and attack without regard for cost efficiency. But that doesn't work in tandem.
Moderator
oberon
Profile Joined May 2009
United States1320 Posts
February 16 2010 22:11 GMT
#271
On February 17 2010 04:50 Chill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2010 13:57 huameng wrote:
On February 16 2010 12:59 Chill wrote:
I don't know the solution but I'll tell you the problem:

I just sit with a billion Tanks. I become a black hole - units are moving around but once they come to me they never get recirculated. Then I just move out and rape. There needs to be a solution to that.


Shouldn't this just not happen? I mean, if the terran player isn't losing units, presumably his opponent isn't losing units either, and it just splits into 2 1v1s with a pussy terran who is probably going to lose. This isn't very fun, but that's the turtler's fault. If the terran's opponent tries to force something, then, well, he should just not do that instead.


It's the nature of the game. In a normal 1v1 someone would just expand a lot and attack without regard for cost efficiency. But that doesn't work in tandem.


Nice icon.

In bughouse chess, one of key issues is sacrifice -- if you can sacrifice pieces for a significant advantage, great -- only you're kinda hosing your partner. The key is only to sacrifice when your partner is unhosable, or when your sacrifices will lead to such immediate victory your partner has no time to get hosed.

I don't think this is a good thing to bring to BW, however, even if it's possible -- it would involve one player on either team getting rolled, followed by a game of "find the floating barracks" while each winning player tries to end the game first. Zero funs.

What if the rules were changed so that you lose not when you have 0 buildings, but when you lose your civilian? We'd probably want to beef up the civilian substantially (more HP, maybe even a little armor), but it would make quick, targeted strikes more effective, and encourage aggressiveness. The immediate issue I see with this is stuff like spawn-broodling or MC -- I'm not really sure what the answer to that is.

--oberon
neobowman
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3324 Posts
February 16 2010 22:12 GMT
#272
On February 17 2010 07:11 oberon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 17 2010 04:50 Chill wrote:
On February 16 2010 13:57 huameng wrote:
On February 16 2010 12:59 Chill wrote:
I don't know the solution but I'll tell you the problem:

I just sit with a billion Tanks. I become a black hole - units are moving around but once they come to me they never get recirculated. Then I just move out and rape. There needs to be a solution to that.


Shouldn't this just not happen? I mean, if the terran player isn't losing units, presumably his opponent isn't losing units either, and it just splits into 2 1v1s with a pussy terran who is probably going to lose. This isn't very fun, but that's the turtler's fault. If the terran's opponent tries to force something, then, well, he should just not do that instead.


It's the nature of the game. In a normal 1v1 someone would just expand a lot and attack without regard for cost efficiency. But that doesn't work in tandem.


Nice icon.

In bughouse chess, one of key issues is sacrifice -- if you can sacrifice pieces for a significant advantage, great -- only you're kinda hosing your partner. The key is only to sacrifice when your partner is unhosable, or when your sacrifices will lead to such immediate victory your partner has no time to get hosed.

I don't think this is a good thing to bring to BW, however, even if it's possible -- it would involve one player on either team getting rolled, followed by a game of "find the floating barracks" while each winning player tries to end the game first. Zero funs.

What if the rules were changed so that you lose not when you have 0 buildings, but when you lose your civilian? We'd probably want to beef up the civilian substantially (more HP, maybe even a little armor), but it would make quick, targeted strikes more effective, and encourage aggressiveness. The immediate issue I see with this is stuff like spawn-broodling or MC -- I'm not really sure what the answer to that is.

--oberon


Ran into the floating building problem. I had the other guy completely beat but he hid buildings for 10 minutes and we lost. Also, losing resources for letting the civilian die is too light a punishment. If you have good macro, it doesn't even make a difference.
Zack1900
Profile Joined January 2010
United States211 Posts
February 16 2010 22:27 GMT
#273
I see a problem with the civilian loss punishment. It punishes good players much less than bad players. If your macroing well lousing your civ won't make to much difference, you might not have a completely full production round this time but you will next time. But if your macroing bad you louse the minerals you should have spent and you now have little to try to rebuild with since you have no money and you might have built more production buildings to take advantage of your money, but now you don't have any.
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
February 16 2010 22:40 GMT
#274
On February 17 2010 07:27 Zack1900 wrote:
I see a problem with the civilian loss punishment. It punishes good players much less than bad players. If your macroing well lousing your civ won't make to much difference, you might not have a completely full production round this time but you will next time. But if your macroing bad you louse the minerals you should have spent and you now have little to try to rebuild with since you have no money and you might have built more production buildings to take advantage of your money, but now you don't have any.


Well, your fault for being bad then.
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
February 16 2010 22:41 GMT
#275
Anyone wanna play now? I prefer frogmelter's version, chilling in op mG.
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
February 16 2010 22:52 GMT
#276
I'll play with you after I eat if you're still on. Gonna be about 30 minutes tho.
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
Bill Murray
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States9292 Posts
February 16 2010 22:57 GMT
#277
give them heros that you've edited to have the same stats and it wont take up any supply
University of Kentucky Basketball #1
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
February 16 2010 23:06 GMT
#278
Problem is heroes come with upgrades. Unless you made all normal units upgraded by default (much loss of strategy and timing in SC, making in inaccessible), this is not a good solution.

I don't want to play frogmelters version of the map until he fixes the unit stats he screwed up I'd rather try the desti version.

I think that the idea about forcing players to be certain races is almost the only viable solution right now. Sure it's kind of lame you don't get to choose your race, but at least it makes the map functional the way it's intended to be... I don't know. I'm only willing to theorycraft at this point, I can't spend hours making triggers again lol. Although this method would be just deleting triggers, so it'd be quite a bit easier.
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
neobowman
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3324 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-16 23:09:19
February 16 2010 23:08 GMT
#279
Don't forget that there are no heroes for brood war units (Minus the ones with plot roles, aka Razsomething and Zeratul)

Edit: Fix the victory conditions!
Excel Excel
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
142 Posts
February 16 2010 23:10 GMT
#280
Why don't you just give your ally the minerals/gas taken up by the destroyed unit instead of the units themselves? This solves most problems but limits it to 1 race per player.
"SCREW OBSERVERS MUST HAVE MOAR ARBITERS!!!11one1" - Famous last words
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
ComeBackTV 1505
IntoTheiNu 1159
TaKeTV 499
SteadfastSC458
LamboSC2435
IndyStarCraft 171
Rex120
EnkiAlexander 54
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
13:00
King of the Hill #263
EmpressLilyy29
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 458
LamboSC2 435
mouzHeroMarine 275
IndyStarCraft 171
ProTech152
Rex 120
UpATreeSC 80
BRAT_OK 70
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 33206
Shuttle 1715
EffOrt 926
Light 644
Mini 561
Soma 482
Rush 362
firebathero 292
Snow 192
ZerO 180
[ Show more ]
hero 98
sorry 58
Sea.KH 51
Killer 48
Liquid`Ret 47
Mong 32
ToSsGirL 27
Sexy 21
soO 21
Bale 21
Free 17
Trap 17
Shine 17
Terrorterran 15
Sacsri 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Noble 3
Dota 2
Gorgc8743
qojqva1446
Dendi981
420jenkins139
Counter-Strike
fl0m1399
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2027
crisheroes1270
XaKoH 207
MindelVK13
Other Games
singsing1823
B2W.Neo1043
Beastyqt371
Hui .191
KnowMe154
ArmadaUGS145
QueenE104
FrodaN90
Mew2King68
Trikslyr61
Dewaltoss47
ToD37
ZerO(Twitch)19
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream85
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 4
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 3
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• intothetv
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 15
• FirePhoenix13
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3249
• TFBlade1188
Other Games
• Shiphtur245
• WagamamaTV205
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 33m
Stellar Fest
20h 33m
OSC
1d 5h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 17h
Online Event
1d 18h
FEL
1d 23h
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.