• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:59
CEST 18:59
KST 01:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12630 users

Beat the scam site

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
motbob
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States12546 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-19 21:25:16
March 19 2009 21:02 GMT
#1
OK, this is basically a research project that could net anyone who participates some cheap electronic goodies (if we get the right results.)

There's this site called http://www.swoopo.com that is basically a scam site. They promise cheap electronics to whoever wins their auctions. Catch is, each bid costs the bidder $0.75 to make and bid increments are only 15 cents. Also, each bid adds 15-20 seconds onto the clock Go to the site and watch an auction to see why this site is really bad for the buyer and good for the seller.

Now, we looked at this site in Game Theory class to illustrate an example of an escalating game, a type of game you don't want to get involved in. The idea came up that perhaps we could gather data and see if there were an optimal time to bid, a time that would yield you a profit.

This is where Team Liquid comes in. I want to see if there's any interest in doing a research project to beat this site. If you volunteered, you'd probably only have to commit 10-15 minutes every day.

Let me explain how it would work. I would ask people to cover certain auctions in a category, such as video games/dvds, during a certain time period. Every minute, those people would copy down the bidding history. In this way we can see if there are any timing cues that would point to the item being about to be sold.

So if I were assigned to an auction, I would wait until the last 20 seconds of the auction and then start the clock. In the next minute, bids would appear in the bid history. At the end of the minute, I would copy the bids that had appeared and would just repeat that until the auction ended.

So, does anyone want to do this? Remember, if we beat the system, we get guaranteed cheap electronic stuff! If no one else volunteers, I'll just do it myself, but it would be really nice to have someone else to cover the times when I'm asleep/can't come to the computer.

EDIT: OOPS, I didn't actually say how I was going to beat the system. Well, after I get all the data, I'll see if there are any situations in which it would always be profitable to bid, like at a certain ratio of the retail price, or after bidding tapers off, or something. And by "beating the system" I mean "beating other bidders."
ModeratorGood content always wins.
toopham
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States551 Posts
March 19 2009 21:16 GMT
#2
Do you mind to elaborate more about how u plan to beat the system?

Of course the crucial time of the bidding is when it hits its regular price.

Wouldn't beating the system mean u profit more than the company?
but with them getting .75 for every bid, they can't really lose.
that is unless the bidding stops at a really low price but that won't happen unless the item is a really crappy thing that has really low demand.

So if we assume that the bidders bid up to at least when it hit the item's regular price then the company already bank in 5 times profit already. given that for every 15 cents, they make 75 cents.

DIE!!!
Burned Toast *
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Canada2040 Posts
March 19 2009 21:21 GMT
#3
Am I the only one thinking that the site has an "autobid" system with fake names ? Yeah, call me a conspirationist.
TvT matchup is sometimes worse than jailtime
rredtooth
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
5464 Posts
March 19 2009 21:23 GMT
#4
Man this is the kind of stuff I'm going be studying in college (game theory and decision sciences to be specific). Sounds interesting and good luck. I'll join in later if there is absolutely no one else that volunteers.
[formerly sponsored by the artist formerly known as Gene]
PanoRaMa
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States5070 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-19 21:31:29
March 19 2009 21:28 GMT
#5
I don't understand why this is a scam though? A scam would be them willingly scamming you out of real money for either not the real product or no product at all. If you can inevitably get the same, non-dysfunctional product cheaper than you would at a retailer, how is this being scammed?

edit: oh so, each time you make a bid, it costs 75 cents (assuming you win the product?) So if you ended up winning a product for 5 bucks but it took you 20 bids to get there you'd end up paying 5 + .75 * 20?
Pika Chu
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
Romania2510 Posts
March 19 2009 21:37 GMT
#6
On March 20 2009 06:28 PanoRaMa wrote:
I don't understand why this is a scam though? A scam would be them willingly scamming you out of real money for either not the real product or no product at all. If you can inevitably get the same, non-dysfunctional product cheaper than you would at a retailer, how is this being scammed?

edit: oh so, each time you make a bid, it costs 75 cents (assuming you win the product?) So if you ended up winning a product for 5 bucks but it took you 20 bids to get there you'd end up paying 5 + .75 * 20?


We had this in romania some years ago, has been a big scandal with it. It's a scam because practically bids close when they want (with the time incremention) and only the winner gets a product and the bid never closes before the sum of all bids (who are lost when bid). And it's usually "one of theirs" that ends the bid .
They first ignore you. After they laugh at you. Next they will fight you. In the end you will win.
Pika Chu
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
Romania2510 Posts
March 19 2009 21:41 GMT
#7
It's impossible to beat them buddy. Those electronics don't even exist in reality.
They first ignore you. After they laugh at you. Next they will fight you. In the end you will win.
sixghost
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States2096 Posts
March 19 2009 21:50 GMT
#8
On March 20 2009 06:28 PanoRaMa wrote:
I don't understand why this is a scam though? A scam would be them willingly scamming you out of real money for either not the real product or no product at all. If you can inevitably get the same, non-dysfunctional product cheaper than you would at a retailer, how is this being scammed?

edit: oh so, each time you make a bid, it costs 75 cents (assuming you win the product?) So if you ended up winning a product for 5 bucks but it took you 20 bids to get there you'd end up paying 5 + .75 * 20?

I think even if you lose the auction, you still pay 75 cents per bid on that item. That's why it's such a bad thing to get involved with. People will be more likely to continue bidding since they already sunk some money into the auction.
mG.sixghost @ iCCup || One ling, two ling, three ling, four... Camp four gas, then ultra-whore . -Saracen
PanoRaMa
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States5070 Posts
March 19 2009 21:51 GMT
#9
Ah ok, thanks for the explanations guys
minus_human
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
4784 Posts
March 19 2009 21:51 GMT
#10
On March 20 2009 06:41 Pika Chu wrote:
It's impossible to beat them buddy. Those electronics don't even exist in reality.



My thoughts exactly. I was wondering if the OP's being naive or if I'm just too paranoid/skeptical
motbob
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States12546 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-19 21:52:51
March 19 2009 21:51 GMT
#11
Even if it is impossible to beat them, I would still like to get data on the site. If it turns out there is a statistically significant point at which one can make profit, and we bid at those points and never win anything, then that's clearly evidence of fraud. I think it would be pretty satisfying to expose a company for fraud, even if we had to pay a little bit of money to do it.

EDIT: and lol at asking if i'm naive. I called it a scam site didn't I?
ModeratorGood content always wins.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
March 19 2009 21:52 GMT
#12
lol, "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is."
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
motbob
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States12546 Posts
March 19 2009 21:53 GMT
#13
On March 20 2009 06:52 CharlieMurphy wrote:
lol, "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is."

Not if we do research beforehand. Fuck, I knew I'd get a bunch of people telling me not even to bother.
ModeratorGood content always wins.
Pika Chu
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
Romania2510 Posts
March 19 2009 21:55 GMT
#14
On March 20 2009 06:53 motbob wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 20 2009 06:52 CharlieMurphy wrote:
lol, "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is."

Not if we do research beforehand. Fuck, I knew I'd get a bunch of people telling me not even to bother.



Mate read my posts and you will understand why.
They first ignore you. After they laugh at you. Next they will fight you. In the end you will win.
motbob
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States12546 Posts
March 19 2009 21:56 GMT
#15
On March 20 2009 06:55 Pika Chu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 20 2009 06:53 motbob wrote:
On March 20 2009 06:52 CharlieMurphy wrote:
lol, "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is."

Not if we do research beforehand. Fuck, I knew I'd get a bunch of people telling me not even to bother.



Mate read my posts and you will understand why.

Why don't you read mine, instead. I already responded to you.
ModeratorGood content always wins.
Pika Chu
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
Romania2510 Posts
March 19 2009 22:02 GMT
#16
Sorry then.

But anyway, what's the point of proving this is a scam? We already know, that's why we don't get tricked into playing and loosing our money in it.
They first ignore you. After they laugh at you. Next they will fight you. In the end you will win.
GeneralStan
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States4789 Posts
March 19 2009 22:03 GMT
#17
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001196.html
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-19 22:14:44
March 19 2009 22:13 GMT
#18
On March 20 2009 06:51 motbob wrote:
Even if it is impossible to beat them, I would still like to get data on the site.


What I really don't get, is why are you asking this of us? I mean, can't you really get some people from your classes to go with it? TeamLiquid is known for beating the internet, but only when it's about competition and fun. Gathering boring data is neither (especially that even TL can't "beat" it, ffs, you don't even have to do anything, just watch and write down numbers...).

Tell me the truth. Is this "project" a homework of yours and you need somene to do all the hard work for you?

And why won't you just read some more about it first?


... frequently seen when parties engage in a bidding war; the bidders can end up paying much more than the object is worth to justify the initial expenses associated with bidding (such as research), as well as part of a competitive instinct.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irrational_escalation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_auction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost

The only way to beat it is to not take part in it.

Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
motbob
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States12546 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-19 22:29:47
March 19 2009 22:25 GMT
#19
On March 20 2009 07:13 Manit0u wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 20 2009 06:51 motbob wrote:
Even if it is impossible to beat them, I would still like to get data on the site.


What I really don't get, is why are you asking this of us? I mean, can't you really get some people from your classes to go with it? TeamLiquid is known for beating the internet, but only when it's about competition and fun. Gathering boring data is neither (especially that even TL can't "beat" it, ffs, you don't even have to do anything, just watch and write down numbers...).

Tell me the truth. Is this "project" a homework of yours and you need somene to do all the hard work for you?

And why won't you just read some more about it first?

Show nested quote +

... frequently seen when parties engage in a bidding war; the bidders can end up paying much more than the object is worth to justify the initial expenses associated with bidding (such as research), as well as part of a competitive instinct.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irrational_escalation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_auction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost

The only way to beat it is to not take part in it.

Yeah, I think the concept of the sunk cost is what loses a lot of people money. After someone bids, that money is gone forever, so they shouldn't base their future bids on what they did earlier. But the "irrational escalation" link, along with the "dollar auction," isn't the same game as Swoopo is. In the "dollar auction" example, both the high bidder and the second highest bidder pay. That was the game tree that we first plotted out in class. It is true that the only way to beat that game is to not take part in it. But, again, Swoopo is not that game.

I have indeed thought about the structure of this game, and whether it is possible to be beaten at all. It's impossible to know without empirical data.

I am surprised that after I posted something that could have been a group effort that would benefit anyone who took part in it, I am now getting accusations that I am pushing the hard work onto other Team Liquid members. That is quite possibly the most insulting thing you could have accused me of. The final project for my class is a group project, so if I were to do this subject, I would have other members of the class to help me.

EDIT: Maybe the best indication that I'm not opposed to doing menial copying and pasting myself is the fact that I'm maintaining the MSL [R&S] thread
ModeratorGood content always wins.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
March 19 2009 22:35 GMT
#20
On March 20 2009 07:25 motbob wrote:
But the "irrational escalation" link, along with the "dollar auction," isn't the same game as Swoopo is. In the "dollar auction" example, both the high bidder and the second highest bidder pay. That was the game tree that we first plotted out in class. It is true that the only way to beat that game is to not take part in it. But, again, Swoopo is not that game.


Oh, really?

http://www.metafilter.com/75306/The-Dollar-Auction-and-Swoopo

On March 20 2009 07:25 motbob wrote:
I am surprised that after I posted something that could have been a group effort that would benefit anyone who took part in it, I am now getting accusations that I am pushing the hard work onto other Team Liquid members. That is quite possibly the most insulting thing you could have accused me of. The final project for my class is a group project, so if I were to do this subject, I would have other members of the class to help me.


I did not accuse you of anything, merely asked a question (you never know...). I'm sorry if you took it that way and I apologize.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM979
TKL 375
IndyStarCraft 233
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 979
ByuN 547
TKL 375
Reynor 327
IndyStarCraft 233
BRAT_OK 44
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 48181
Calm 3064
Bisu 1473
FanTaSy 475
actioN 155
firebathero 155
Sea.KH 49
Free 39
Mong 32
ToSsGirL 30
[ Show more ]
Pusan 25
Rock 23
Aegong 19
Terrorterran 17
soO 15
Hm[arnc] 12
scan(afreeca) 12
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc9038
Dendi1150
Counter-Strike
fl0m5013
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King110
Heroes of the Storm
MindelVK12
Liquid`Hasu0
Other Games
singsing1868
Liquid`RaSZi1860
FrodaN795
B2W.Neo747
Beastyqt670
olofmeister505
Khaldor488
Mlord470
KnowMe315
crisheroes200
Livibee76
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick112
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 26
• Adnapsc2 11
• Reevou 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach55
• Azhi_Dahaki17
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV501
League of Legends
• Nemesis2855
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1603
Other Games
• Shiphtur729
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 1m
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 1m
OSC
6h 1m
Replay Cast
6h 1m
OSC
19h 1m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.