• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:10
CEST 19:10
KST 02:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7872 users

6 Year Qualifys For Scripps National Spelling Bee

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Iteachextra
Profile Joined April 2012
46 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-30 02:01:08
May 30 2012 01:59 GMT
#1
If you plan on watching the Scripps Spelling Bee tomorrow you might notice one kid is alot smaller than all the others.
Soucrce: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/girl-youngest-national-spelling-bee-16443815#.T8V-d1Kncdl



I find it impressive that homeschooling can be a highly effective means of education if implemented properly.
Do you think she has any shot of winning?
Klyberess
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden345 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-30 05:16:43
May 30 2012 05:13 GMT
#2
That's quite impressive indeed, and definitely something that speaks for homeschooling. She's obviously talented as well, but it seems strange to require children such as her to go through school like everyone else, with no consideration for her talent. I guess she's lucky not to be a Swede, as I don't believe we allow homeschooling at all (I could be wrong).

On the other hand, American homeschooling mostly seems to be an excuse to indoctrinate children. Surely there's a middle ground somewhere, though!

I also find it humorous that you misspelled "qualifies" in the title

As for her winning, hardly, but that's not really important in comparison, is it? (Also, what's "vaquero"?)
EmpireHappy <3 STHack <3 ByunPrime
Tabbris
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Bangladesh2839 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-30 05:17:18
May 30 2012 05:16 GMT
#3
Wow that is amazing
Anxiety
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States650 Posts
May 30 2012 05:20 GMT
#4
She seems mature for her age. I sure wasn't that mature when I was that old.
TheRPGAddict
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1403 Posts
May 30 2012 05:23 GMT
#5
On May 30 2012 14:13 Klyberess wrote:
That's quite impressive indeed, and definitely something that speaks for homeschooling. She's obviously talented as well, but it seems strange to require children such as her to go through school like everyone else, with no consideration for her talent. I guess she's lucky not to be a Swede, as I don't believe we allow homeschooling at all (I could be wrong).

On the other hand, American homeschooling mostly seems to be an excuse to indoctrinate children. Surely there's a middle ground somewhere, though!

I also find it humorous that you misspelled "qualifies" in the title

As for her winning, hardly, but that's not really important in comparison, is it? (Also, what's "vaquero"?)
Idk about that. They said her mom was a professor ( aka someone highly educated, I assume she has a doctorate ). That isn't your average homeschooling mom.
McFeser
Profile Joined July 2011
United States2458 Posts
May 30 2012 05:26 GMT
#6
cough "qualifies" cough
Promethelax still hasn't changed his quote
Spiffeh
Profile Joined May 2010
United States830 Posts
May 30 2012 05:39 GMT
#7
that little whore

User was temp banned for this post.
manarchist
Profile Joined May 2012
17 Posts
May 30 2012 05:41 GMT
#8
What a remarkable kid. Not just for her amazing brain, but the way that she projects herself.

She is gonna have such a tough time dating. Boys are going to bore her to death!

I cannot think of a better way to stunt a child’s mental development than subjecting them to a public education system. She is very fortunate to have a mother who cares enough to provide her with the attention she deserves, and has the means to do so.

Sadly, homeschooling is used by some individuals to both indoctrinate their children into their way of thinking, and to prevent them from being exposed to counter points of view. That being said, in the US that seems to be the rare exception, and it is foolish to think that government school systems do not indoctrinate children in the exact same manner. (I can’t recall any discussions or lessons on the benefits or arguments for communism, anarchy, or fascism ever taking place in all may thousands of hours in a classroom, in spite of the fact that there are libraries worth of works written by undeniably great minds dedicated to each.)

I am not sure about Sweden, but I do believe it is outlawed in Germany. I think for fear that parents will try to regress their children to ideas that were popular 70 years ago.
Waste your time creatively.
Aphasie
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Norway474 Posts
May 30 2012 05:44 GMT
#9
Hahaha, she wants to be an astrobiologist. She was awesome, looking how advanced some kids are really blows my mind.
OptimusYale
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)1005 Posts
May 30 2012 05:48 GMT
#10
Well I don't agree with homeschooling in the slightest, and to be honest I don't care how smart it makes the kids eventually they'll rebel/want to socialise and its over.

I'm pretty sure there was a girl who was home-schooled in England and was the youngest child to enter Cambridge or oxford at the time....is now working as a stripper as she hates education and using her mind because she was forced to do it all day every day.

School isn't just about the grades, it's a social experience....there should be ways to fast track kids or at least get them into schools with similar highly bright students
Klyberess
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden345 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-30 05:52:59
May 30 2012 05:49 GMT
#11
On May 30 2012 14:23 TheRPGAddict wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2012 14:13 Klyberess wrote:
That's quite impressive indeed, and definitely something that speaks for homeschooling. She's obviously talented as well, but it seems strange to require children such as her to go through school like everyone else, with no consideration for her talent. I guess she's lucky not to be a Swede, as I don't believe we allow homeschooling at all (I could be wrong).

On the other hand, American homeschooling mostly seems to be an excuse to indoctrinate children. Surely there's a middle ground somewhere, though!

I also find it humorous that you misspelled "qualifies" in the title

As for her winning, hardly, but that's not really important in comparison, is it? (Also, what's "vaquero"?)
Idk about that. They said her mom was a professor ( aka someone highly educated, I assume she has a doctorate ). That isn't your average homeschooling mom.

I agree, but you can hardly allow homeschooling exclusively for professors, nor can you assume professors won't indoctrinate their children. It seems to have worked fine in this particular case, though.

On May 30 2012 14:48 OptimusYale wrote:
Well I don't agree with homeschooling in the slightest, and to be honest I don't care how smart it makes the kids eventually they'll rebel/want to socialise and its over.

I'm pretty sure there was a girl who was home-schooled in England and was the youngest child to enter Cambridge or oxford at the time....is now working as a stripper as she hates education and using her mind because she was forced to do it all day every day.

School isn't just about the grades, it's a social experience....there should be ways to fast track kids or at least get them into schools with similar highly bright students

I'm not convinced specific schools for bright students is any better of an idea. Seems to breed elitism if nothing else.

I don't think you can assume that homeschooling necessarily means no socialisation and being forced to study all day every day, either.
EmpireHappy <3 STHack <3 ByunPrime
itkovian
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States1763 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-30 06:02:47
May 30 2012 06:01 GMT
#12
Yeesh thats young, she's got an illustrious spelling bee career ahead of her rofl. I wonder what affect this will have throughout her life. Will she always be the "spelling-bee" kid as she grows up? That seems like it would be a hard image to shrug off.

Edit: Ahaha, just noticed. She's wearing a black and yellow striped shirt in the video display picture. How subtly awesome!
=)=
manarchist
Profile Joined May 2012
17 Posts
May 30 2012 06:12 GMT
#13
On May 30 2012 15:01 itkovian wrote:
Yeesh thats young, she's got an illustrious spelling bee career ahead of her rofl. I wonder what affect this will have throughout her life. Will she always be the "spelling-bee" kid as she grows up? That seems like it would be a hard image to shrug off.

Edit: Ahaha, just noticed. She's wearing a black and yellow striped shirt in the video display picture. How subtly awesome!


I suspect she’ll be known throughout her life for the many different hats she’ll wear, be it spelling bee champ, anchor on her medley relay team, mother, or astrobiologist. I don’t know anyone that is identified by what they did before the age of ten.
Waste your time creatively.
friedchicken
Profile Joined May 2011
United States143 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-30 06:20:05
May 30 2012 06:14 GMT
#14
On May 30 2012 10:59 Iteachextra wrote:
I find it impressive that homeschooling can be a highly effective means of education if implemented properly.


I might argue that homeschooling is one of the best forms of education. That said most people just choose to homeschool because they don't want their children taught evolution.

EDIT: This is pretty cool and I hope she gets far!! <3
"Don't panic" - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
MonkSEA
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Australia1227 Posts
May 30 2012 06:15 GMT
#15
On May 30 2012 15:12 manarchist wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2012 15:01 itkovian wrote:
Yeesh thats young, she's got an illustrious spelling bee career ahead of her rofl. I wonder what affect this will have throughout her life. Will she always be the "spelling-bee" kid as she grows up? That seems like it would be a hard image to shrug off.

Edit: Ahaha, just noticed. She's wearing a black and yellow striped shirt in the video display picture. How subtly awesome!


I suspect she’ll be known throughout her life for the many different hats she’ll wear, be it spelling bee champ, anchor on her medley relay team, mother, or astrobiologist. I don’t know anyone that is identified by what they did before the age of ten.


I know of a few people that were defined since childhood, but they're all psychotic. Nothing positive.

This is pretty cool though, just shows that there is hope in this world and not all the kids are rotten.
http://www.youtube.com/user/sirmonkeh Zerg Live Casts and Commentary!
MayorITC
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Korea (South)798 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-30 06:37:23
May 30 2012 06:19 GMT
#16
On May 30 2012 14:48 OptimusYale wrote:
Well I don't agree with homeschooling in the slightest, and to be honest I don't care how smart it makes the kids eventually they'll rebel/want to socialise and its over.


What makes you think home-schooled children don't socialize already? It's not like after their lessons they are locked away in their room until Aunt Petunia comes to visit. Every article I've read states that most kids have no problems making the transition to a traditional school. Most of the problems home-schooled children have when transitioning to institutionalized schools are related more to protocol than social issues.

As for the rebellion comment, I won't disagree on that. Home-schooled kids rebel. And so does every other kid. It's called being a kid.

On May 30 2012 14:48 OptimusYale wrote:
I'm pretty sure there was a girl who was home-schooled in England and was the youngest child to enter Cambridge or oxford at the time....is now working as a stripper as she hates education and using her mind because she was forced to do it all day every day.


And there are plenty of strippers who never went to school. I don't see what your point is. Going to Cambridge at a young age did not make her become a stripper if that is what you're implying.

Edit: I just read up on the "Cambridge child prodigy who became a stripper." You conveniently left out the part about her running away from home because her father was physically abusive and convicted for sexually assaulting two other girls. Yea.... I don't think it was going to Cambridge that turned her into a stripper.

You also forgot to mention that being a stripper is not a long-time plan of hers because she's studying to earn a masters degree in Economics at the same time. However, since she cut off all ties with her family, she has no financial support from them to help pay for her living expenses.
Bashnek
Profile Joined May 2011
Australia895 Posts
May 30 2012 06:37 GMT
#17
......Qualifies* (Only correcting because its semi-relevant to do so)
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Gryffindor_us
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
United States5606 Posts
May 30 2012 06:39 GMT
#18
At one point I might agree about the social aspect of home schooling, but nowadays a lot of homeschooling families band together in local groups for social events so their kids don't miss out on that as much.

Remember 11-12-04. 이윤열 ~. |||| ZerO, IriS, JangBi, Stork, BackHo! Mah Jae Yoon is no longer a feared entity.
tryummm
Profile Joined August 2009
774 Posts
May 30 2012 06:48 GMT
#19
On May 30 2012 14:48 OptimusYale wrote:
Well I don't agree with homeschooling in the slightest, and to be honest I don't care how smart it makes the kids eventually they'll rebel/want to socialise and its over.

I'm pretty sure there was a girl who was home-schooled in England and was the youngest child to enter Cambridge or oxford at the time....is now working as a stripper as she hates education and using her mind because she was forced to do it all day every day.

School isn't just about the grades, it's a social experience....there should be ways to fast track kids or at least get them into schools with similar highly bright students


Have you ever talked to someone who was home schooled? In the USA there are homeschooling programs where you meet up with a study partner(s) and/or go to group meetings where you interact with other children. Moreover, its not only smart children that are home schooled. Every type of student from your slacker to brilliant students are home schooled. At my school I know many intellectually average engineering and mathematics students who were home schooled for 2-3 hours a day reading textbooks and completing various assignments plus they got the entire summer off like other kids. Numerous home schooled children also attend summer camps, boy scouts, etc... A majority of students who are home schooled don't sit inside and grind away all day long...in fact its often less time consuming than public education because of all the wasted time in public schools. Just think about how much time you spent not actually doing anything productive towards learning academic study materials in elementary school through high school.
Silvertine
Profile Joined February 2012
United States509 Posts
May 30 2012 06:52 GMT
#20
It wasn't hard to predict that this was going to become about homeschooling. There have already been a bunch of silly arguments made in it's favor. One case of homeschooling in which the child excelled proves absolutely nothing so please do not use this as evidence. If you want to have a debate on that issue then refer to the research that has been done on the topic.

On May 30 2012 15:12 manarchist wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2012 15:01 itkovian wrote:
Yeesh thats young, she's got an illustrious spelling bee career ahead of her rofl. I wonder what affect this will have throughout her life. Will she always be the "spelling-bee" kid as she grows up? That seems like it would be a hard image to shrug off.

Edit: Ahaha, just noticed. She's wearing a black and yellow striped shirt in the video display picture. How subtly awesome!


I suspect she’ll be known throughout her life for the many different hats she’ll wear, be it spelling bee champ, anchor on her medley relay team, mother, or astrobiologist. I don’t know anyone that is identified by what they did before the age of ten.

Prodigies are constantly identified in that way and it can cause a lot of pain for them. Many become accustomed to the adulation they receive and always being considered so exceptional. Then when they become older no one is that impressed anymore because there are so many other talents of the same age. A prodigy that underachieves and melds into the field is such a common occurrence in classical music and chess that it's almost a cliche.
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
01:00
Patch Clash Monthly #2
RotterdaM701
TKL 249
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 682
ByuN 285
TKL 238
ProTech154
UpATreeSC 57
mouzHeroMarine 12
BRAT_OK 1
MindelVK 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 27138
Calm 3381
Shuttle 1157
Horang2 509
Soulkey 215
Rush 153
firebathero 144
Dewaltoss 98
Mind 73
Zeus 63
[ Show more ]
hero 58
Free 41
sorry 34
Hyun 34
Killer 22
Trap 22
ToSsGirL 19
PianO 19
Bale 17
JYJ 14
scan(afreeca) 14
Rock 13
Aegong 13
Hm[arnc] 10
Sacsri 7
Noble 4
Dota 2
Gorgc7309
Dendi1354
League of Legends
KnowMe44
Counter-Strike
fl0m4348
Fnx 562
x6flipin283
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King95
ChuDatz27
Other Games
singsing1971
Liquid`RaSZi1435
Beastyqt510
ceh9477
C9.Mang0304
crisheroes249
Khaldor225
dupreeh201
420jenkins193
IndyStarCraft 156
QueenE102
Trikslyr97
JuggernautJason8
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH283
• Hinosc 18
• Reevou 4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3131
• WagamamaTV484
League of Legends
• Nemesis3016
• TFBlade564
Other Games
• Shiphtur860
• imaqtpie123
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
16h 50m
INu's Battles
17h 50m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
19h 50m
OSC
1d 5h
Replay Cast
1d 5h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.