• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:30
CEST 15:30
KST 22:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8101 users

[G][L] TvT 3 Tank Timing

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
n.DieJokes
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3443 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-01 20:18:55
July 01 2011 19:53 GMT
#1
Disclaimer and Overview
Hi! I'm a Diamond Terran on NA and this is a very simple TvT build I have been having an a lot of success with and wanted to share. I'm not good, I get it, if you're not interested in reading further I more than understand. Hopefully someone enjoys the same success I have.

So what's the build? What I wanted for my TvT was a safe build that allowed me to get my tech and expansion up relatively quickly and accomplish some sort of pressure. What I came up with is a fast factory 3 tank with siege timing. While you're getting the tanks you float enough minerals to get the expansion up relatively quickly and you never have to cut scvs.

The Build *note I will not include depot timings, you shouldn't get supply blocked and you never cut scvs. I also will not include scout timings, its up to you
  • 12 Rax anywhere but at your wall
  • 13 Refinery (I think its 13, the earliest without cutting scvs), constant production
  • Orbital when rax finishes
    @ 100 Gas build a factory then your second refinary
  • after three marines add a tech lab to your barracks
  • Factory and tech lab will complete at the same time, swap them
  • Build your first tank then a reactor on the barracks (constant production from the barracks)
    In game check. You should be ~27 food and floating ~400 minerals, put down your second command center in base. When it finishes make it into an orbital, you'll have the money.
  • Make sure your tank production is constant, while the second tank is building research seige @100 gas. It will finish right as your third tank pops.
    You should have 3 tanks and ~10 marines, move out and attack your opponent while floating your second orbital to your nat

    From here its really up to you, I like to get a starport and another barracks but you can play however you like. With your push if you can kill him that's great. What you want to do is delay his natural a bit and get an economic lead. I wouldn't recommend containing too long as he'll probably have spots out long before you do. I do not rally my fourth tank but instead siege in my base to counter drops and whatnot. Be sure to save a scan for when you move out

    General note: I like to build my first two depots at my ramp so I can block hellions with my tank

Replays
http://www.mediafire.com/?migckdy5hsyq592 TvT on Shit Pits
http://www.mediafire.com/?l73minyyaow2a95 TvT on Shattered Temple
[/list]

Okay, hope this helps somebody. If a higher level player wants to tell me what they think I'm all ears for improvements and suggestions. Hf on ladder~
TLDR
On July 02 2011 05:01 lorkac wrote:
open standard with a factory after barracks
techlab after 3 marines and then swap.
Reactor on barracks and then constant marines.
Push at 3 tanks (with siege), expand as you push.
MyLove + Your Love= Supa Love
LlamaNamedOsama
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States1900 Posts
July 01 2011 19:58 GMT
#2
I like these kinds of pushes too, although I generally push at 1-2 tanks, usually because the banshee timing for 1-1-1 comes out by the 2nd to 3rd tank I believe.
Dario Wünsch: I guess...Creator...met his maker *sunglasses*
lorkac
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2297 Posts
July 01 2011 20:01 GMT
#3
TLDR

open standard with a factory after barracks

techlab after 3 marines and then swap.

Reactor on barracks and then constant marines.

Push at 3 tanks, expand as you push.
By the truth we are undone. Life is a dream. Tis waking that kills us. He who robs us of our dreams robs us of our life --Orlando: A Biography
n.DieJokes
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3443 Posts
July 01 2011 20:05 GMT
#4
On July 02 2011 05:01 lorkac wrote:
TLDR

open standard with a factory after barracks

techlab after 3 marines and then swap.

Reactor on barracks and then constant marines.

Push at 3 tanks, expand as you push.

Word yo
MyLove + Your Love= Supa Love
lorkac
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2297 Posts
July 01 2011 20:11 GMT
#5
I like it.
By the truth we are undone. Life is a dream. Tis waking that kills us. He who robs us of our dreams robs us of our life --Orlando: A Biography
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-01 20:20:52
July 01 2011 20:20 GMT
#6
I'm just wondering, by putting a reactor on that fast you might be a bit dodgy against some early all in play. Since there's a small period where you have only 3 marines and no production. Do you throw down any scans to make sure no all in is coming or do you have a scv around the map?

Otherwise sounds nice. It's a decent opening for closer positions but I think it might be slightly behind a 18CC in a bigger map. I have to check the replay to see the timings of that tank push vs 18CC into siege with 2 rax pumping.

Also how do you determine to go this build?
n.DieJokes
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3443 Posts
July 01 2011 20:33 GMT
#7
On July 02 2011 05:20 Numy wrote:
I'm just wondering, by putting a reactor on that fast you might be a bit dodgy against some early all in play. Since there's a small period where you have only 3 marines and no production. Do you throw down any scans to make sure no all in is coming or do you have a scv around the map?

Otherwise sounds nice. It's a decent opening for closer positions but I think it might be slightly behind a 18CC in a bigger map. I have to check the replay to see the timings of that tank push vs 18CC into siege with 2 rax pumping.

Also how do you determine to go this build?

I scout around with my scv so I could bunker accordingly but thats a weakness in my play I've yet to have exploited. It might be better to build another marine or two before the reactor, I'm not sure .

I do this build on every map mostly because I like the safety and I have a lot of confidence in my mechanics at this level but yeah, smaller and two player maps is where my push does maximum damage
MyLove + Your Love= Supa Love
MrCon
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France29748 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-01 20:43:34
July 01 2011 20:43 GMT
#8
It seems nice, at what time do you move out your base ? It seems banshee timings will hit you just as you leave your base, or not very long after, can you usually deal with them ?
TheSurgeonTV
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States131 Posts
July 01 2011 21:07 GMT
#9
susceptible to cloaked banshee?
Bringing Starcraft Main Stream
random322
Profile Joined December 2010
17 Posts
July 01 2011 23:34 GMT
#10
On July 02 2011 05:01 lorkac wrote:
TLDR

open standard with a factory after barracks

techlab after 3 marines and then swap.

Reactor on barracks and then constant marines.

Push at 3 tanks, expand as you push.


if you wall swaping rax with tech lab with factory reveals youre build, this will negate the effect of youre push
lcl
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom119 Posts
July 02 2011 00:50 GMT
#11
yeah, ive now blindly done this build 3 times and won all three without any issue, though i made a bunker in close positions when i scouted a fast 2nd rax. the minerals that go into the cc can be used instead to defend against banshees or lots of marines and you can stay on 1 base since your opponent will be behind anyway if you successfully defend these things

please take this thread down so that no one does it back to me!
The more I practise the more luck I seem to have
n.DieJokes
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3443 Posts
July 02 2011 01:16 GMT
#12
On July 02 2011 09:50 lcl wrote:
yeah, ive now blindly done this build 3 times and won all three without any issue, though i made a bunker in close positions when i scouted a fast 2nd rax. the minerals that go into the cc can be used instead to defend against banshees or lots of marines and you can stay on 1 base since your opponent will be behind anyway if you successfully defend these things

please take this thread down so that no one does it back to me!

I'm glad. Banshees aren't that big a problem, in my experience I can just go kill them plus I reactor the barrack so I'll have enough rines to defend and I have two orbitals worth of scan to help me. If he had a great micro it'd probably be an issue but at diamond I haven't had any problems
MyLove + Your Love= Supa Love
cristo1122
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Australia505 Posts
July 02 2011 01:30 GMT
#13
not meaning to be rud eor bm in any way but isnt this sort of play standard i.e. going one fact expand while placing pressure. As i have been doing this basic sort of build for the last few months as my default standard opening.
ZvP imbalanced blizzards solution nerf terran
Isaac
Profile Joined August 2010
United States810 Posts
July 02 2011 01:31 GMT
#14
How does this fare with a common 1rax expand into marine sheild timing~16marines.
I have not seen this before but It sounds really easy to defend as you should have ~1tank out to defend.
number one fan of marineking
Blackk
Profile Joined November 2010
South Africa226 Posts
July 02 2011 01:58 GMT
#15
This is a super standard push Oo
hah.
GinDo
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
3327 Posts
July 02 2011 02:05 GMT
#16
On July 02 2011 10:58 Blackk wrote:
This is a super standard push Oo


It is but their are alot of nooblets who need this written down. Sometimes its hard to keep up with the metagame when you don't watch replays and streams.

@OP you should consider adding this to Liquidpedia.
ⱩŦ ƑⱠẬ$Ħ / ƩǤ ɈƩẬƉØƝǤ [ɌȻ] / ȊṂ.ṂṼⱣ / ẬȻƩɌ.ȊƝƝØṼẬŦȊØƝ / ẬȻƩɌ.ϟȻẬɌⱠƩŦŦ ϟⱠẬɎƩɌϟ ȻⱠẬƝ
TheWarbler
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1659 Posts
July 02 2011 02:33 GMT
#17
I like it, another build I will add to my arsenal of 3
if you can believe you can concieve
n.DieJokes
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3443 Posts
July 02 2011 02:39 GMT
#18
On July 02 2011 10:30 cristo1122 wrote:
not meaning to be rud eor bm in any way but isnt this sort of play standard i.e. going one fact expand while placing pressure. As i have been doing this basic sort of build for the last few months as my default standard opening.

Maybe, I don't know. I couldn't find a standard build TvT in the 3hat muta ZvT (bw) sort of sense.
MyLove + Your Love= Supa Love
Hummingb1rd
Profile Joined December 2010
United States97 Posts
July 02 2011 02:41 GMT
#19
Could this be used as a broodwar-esque siege expand in TvP?
Penatronic
Profile Joined October 2010
150 Posts
July 02 2011 04:43 GMT
#20
Wouldn't it be better to just throw down a 2nd rax instead of a reactor? I thought that was generally accepted thing to do for first few rax because it doesn't stop marine production and saves gas, since you should be using all your gas on the tanks and seige, and any extra should be going towards stim and shields.

However, I guess the mineral savings from not making a rax and just a reactor and pausing marines would influence your timing on the 2nd cc.
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 1091
WardiTV771
OGKoka 302
Rex160
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 302
Rex 160
ProTech132
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2749
Shuttle 1558
Horang2 1488
Jaedong 847
EffOrt 680
BeSt 654
Light 264
ZerO 251
Stork 246
firebathero 237
[ Show more ]
Rush 216
ggaemo 176
Zeus 96
Shine 71
Barracks 69
Killer 67
Hyun 60
Mini 39
Shinee 36
Yoon 30
ToSsGirL 29
Mong 25
Aegong 23
Sexy 22
sorry 22
Bale 22
PianO 19
soO 16
ajuk12(nOOB) 14
Noble 13
Terrorterran 11
Sacsri 11
zelot 8
HiyA 8
Icarus 7
yabsab 6
Dota 2
qojqva2531
Dendi1516
BananaSlamJamma270
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
x6flipin711
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes430
Other Games
singsing2415
olofmeister1798
hiko819
B2W.Neo767
Lowko357
Sick239
Pyrionflax203
Liquid`VortiX154
ArmadaUGS79
Mew2King41
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream530
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH298
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2124
• Nemesis684
Other Games
• WagamamaTV257
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
2h 30m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20h 30m
Afreeca Starleague
20h 30m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 10h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 21h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.