• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:36
CEST 01:36
KST 08:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8524 users

[G][L] TvT 3 Tank Timing - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
avilo
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States4100 Posts
July 02 2011 04:55 GMT
#21
I tried this today...just as I thought, it was basically an automatic loss to the banshee flying across the map to my base.

Like most builds without a starport, you're too vulnerable to 1 banshee, and god forbid it has cloak too.
Sup
Tsuycc
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada269 Posts
July 02 2011 06:29 GMT
#22
On July 02 2011 13:55 avilo wrote:
I tried this today...just as I thought, it was basically an automatic loss to the banshee flying across the map to my base.

Like most builds without a starport, you're too vulnerable to 1 banshee, and god forbid it has cloak too.



you'll have enough money to get a e-bay up, with some turrets not to mention that you can also throw down a quick barracks



On a side note

Looking at the replays i noticed that you move out around 7:30 in your replays.


But I made a variation where you skip the reactor, make and make 2 tanks

the conclusion is that I left my base at a much quicker time, with 7 marines and 2 tanks, with a third on the way (you can rally to the base)

This is probably my new staple TvT build, thank you for showing it to me!!!
[Hoping spider mines are brought back in SC2] // MarineKing // Leta // Polt | Terran Pride "my girlfriend is the medivac" -Rain
Tsuycc
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada269 Posts
July 02 2011 06:34 GMT
#23
On July 02 2011 13:43 Penatronic wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to just throw down a 2nd rax instead of a reactor? I thought that was generally accepted thing to do for first few rax because it doesn't stop marine production and saves gas, since you should be using all your gas on the tanks and seige, and any extra should be going towards stim and shields.

However, I guess the mineral savings from not making a rax and just a reactor and pausing marines would influence your timing on the 2nd cc.



I tested the same thing, at it I left generally around the same time
[Hoping spider mines are brought back in SC2] // MarineKing // Leta // Polt | Terran Pride "my girlfriend is the medivac" -Rain
aaycumi
Profile Joined March 2011
England265 Posts
July 02 2011 10:07 GMT
#24
Personally have a lot more success with a refinery first then barracks with 1 tank and go attack. Siege tanks outrange bunkers (unless it has a marauder in it) and usually a guarantee that the opponent has cut marine production a few times so normally have more marines.
This is just in short rush distance in TvT though, usually able to end the game cause the opponent when for Hellion/Banshee and has no army of which to speak of.
n.DieJokes
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3443 Posts
July 02 2011 13:38 GMT
#25
On July 02 2011 13:55 avilo wrote:
I tried this today...just as I thought, it was basically an automatic loss to the banshee flying across the map to my base.

Like most builds without a starport, you're too vulnerable to 1 banshee, and god forbid it has cloak too.

Hmm thats interesting, I haven't had any trouble. In fact I think the strength of the build is against any sort of starport opening. Could you link the replays? I'd appreciate it~

As for reactor over second rax, the gas works out so that you have enough I don't want to delay my second cc that long.
On July 02 2011 15:29 Tsuycc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 02 2011 13:55 avilo wrote:
I tried this today...just as I thought, it was basically an automatic loss to the banshee flying across the map to my base.

Like most builds without a starport, you're too vulnerable to 1 banshee, and god forbid it has cloak too.

Looking at the replays i noticed that you move out around 7:30 in your replays.
But I made a variation where you skip the reactor, make and make 2 tanks
the conclusion is that I left my base at a much quicker time, with 7 marines and 2 tanks, with a third on the way (you can rally to the base)
This is probably my new staple TvT build, thank you for showing it to me!!!

I was thinking about this on the train, can you link the replay? Many thanks
MyLove + Your Love= Supa Love
CrisisNOOB
Profile Joined May 2011
United States39 Posts
July 02 2011 13:49 GMT
#26
On July 02 2011 08:34 random322 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 02 2011 05:01 lorkac wrote:
TLDR

open standard with a factory after barracks

techlab after 3 marines and then swap.

Reactor on barracks and then constant marines.

Push at 3 tanks, expand as you push.


if you wall swaping rax with tech lab with factory reveals youre build, this will negate the effect of youre push


Do you place buildings to wall off in a TvT? I don't personally do it, but if I scout Fact+reactor or a hellion of any sort I use 3 supply depots.
NOOB is allcaps cuz it's srsbsns
FaiL_SaFe
Profile Joined February 2011
United States104 Posts
July 02 2011 14:42 GMT
#27
Three quick thoughts.

1) I've had similar bo's done to me several times in TvT (high plat, low diamond) and against the right opener it can be absolutely devastating.

2) This is especially annoying on Shakuras. I've opened starport tech or some other bo and just had the other guy camp my nat around the gasses and if they do it right It either takes a huge investment to break out or massively delays your expand.

3) I do think this is somewhat weak to that 3-reaper play thats been going around, I can certainly see just not having enough stuff to prevent the reapers from doing massive damage.
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-02 14:52:32
July 02 2011 14:48 GMT
#28
On July 02 2011 23:42 FaiL_SaFe wrote:
2) This is especially annoying on Shakuras. I've opened starport tech or some other bo and just had the other guy camp my nat around the gasses and if they do it right It either takes a huge investment to break out or massively delays your expand.


On Shakuras a gasless expand(2 Rax afterwards) will have more marines and have a least a tank out when the push comes. This means you can attack him on the way to your base and be able to stop the push. This is more for close spawns or short rush distances.
BigBossX
Profile Joined September 2008
United Kingdom357 Posts
July 02 2011 15:01 GMT
#29
On July 02 2011 19:07 aaycumi wrote:
Personally have a lot more success with a refinery first then barracks with 1 tank and go attack. Siege tanks outrange bunkers (unless it has a marauder in it) and usually a guarantee that the opponent has cut marine production a few times so normally have more marines.
This is just in short rush distance in TvT though, usually able to end the game cause the opponent when for Hellion/Banshee and has no army of which to speak of.


So a bunker w/ rauder has a range of 13? lol, tanks > bunkers period.

On July 02 2011 13:55 avilo wrote:
I tried this today...just as I thought, it was basically an automatic loss to the banshee flying across the map to my base.

Like most builds without a starport, you're too vulnerable to 1 banshee, and god forbid it has cloak too.


If he goes banshees w/ cloak hes going to have no more than 5-6 marines, and 1 banshee, just go fucking kill him..

As for the build, seems pretty cool, but how does it fair against a 1 rax fe straight into tanks with a bunker/repair to hold the nat until siege finishes. Would this leave you at a slight eco disadvantage?
reyk
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States21 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-02 18:48:35
July 02 2011 18:45 GMT
#30
In EG Master's Cup, Drewbie vs Thorzain + Show Spoiler +
game 3Thorzain did this exact build, pushing slowly with the first tank and sealing the deal with the second and third tanks, I think thorzain walled as well. Drewbie did a 1 rax FE into a 4rax build so his FE died and it was a gg since attacking into tanks sucks
Sotamursu
Profile Joined June 2010
Finland612 Posts
July 02 2011 19:22 GMT
#31
This would probably work best against 1rax fe builds. Bunkers and marines are rarely enough to save the natural without sacrificing a lot of SCV's.
Nizzy
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States839 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-02 20:13:41
July 02 2011 20:12 GMT
#32
sounds like this would get owned by any player going cloakshee's. Sure maybe you even have 3 scans ready with the dual CC but you shouldnt play like that as in "needing" the energy for scans.

I also think its better to hit with your 8-10 marines, 1.5-2 seige tanks as they're coming out +1 viking for the vision advantage.

EDIT: yeah I see the Thorzain comment. I think this build is strong if you see them going FE into many racks. Other wise I would be very careful.
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-02 20:20:25
July 02 2011 20:15 GMT
#33
On July 03 2011 03:45 reyk wrote:
In EG Master's Cup, Drewbie vs Thorzain + Show Spoiler +
game 3Thorzain did this exact build, pushing slowly with the first tank and sealing the deal with the second and third tanks, I think thorzain walled as well. Drewbie did a 1 rax FE into a 4rax build so his FE died and it was a gg since attacking into tanks sucks


+ Show Spoiler +
It was poor control from drewbie and awesome control from Thorzain to come out ahead. He could have held with some better control.


On July 03 2011 04:22 Sotamursu wrote:
This would probably work best against 1rax fe builds. Bunkers and marines are rarely enough to save the natural without sacrificing a lot of SCV's.


If they go 1rax fe into hard tech(18CC double REF build) then it's not as clear cut as that. Depends a lot on the map and what tech they choose. Against 1 rax fe into hard bio then it's a lot about control. I don't think there's a clear cut "x wins vs y" a lot depends on factors. Still a nice default build.
dryice135
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia35 Posts
July 03 2011 00:07 GMT
#34
You need to scout very well. This build would get raped by a standard 2 rax. The typical 2 rax initially hits with 3-4 marines + 1 scv, which should kill your marines and then you have no production and he has marines streaming in. The second rax is usually well hidden as well so you wont know until very late. This may be safer on a map with a large rush distance.
LordLuo
Profile Joined April 2010
United States37 Posts
July 03 2011 20:02 GMT
#35
How do you beat a 3 reaper rush with this build? I couldn't get enough marines out in time and I had to stall for the tank to come out, but by then the damage was dealt.
n.DieJokes
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3443 Posts
July 03 2011 20:38 GMT
#36
On July 04 2011 05:02 LordLuo wrote:
How do you beat a 3 reaper rush with this build? I couldn't get enough marines out in time and I had to stall for the tank to come out, but by then the damage was dealt.

Uhh as far as I can tell you can't :/ Its sort of a hard counter, you just have to minimize the damage while you wait for the tank and try a counter.
MyLove + Your Love= Supa Love
LordLuo
Profile Joined April 2010
United States37 Posts
July 03 2011 21:15 GMT
#37
On July 04 2011 05:38 n.DieJokes wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2011 05:02 LordLuo wrote:
How do you beat a 3 reaper rush with this build? I couldn't get enough marines out in time and I had to stall for the tank to come out, but by then the damage was dealt.

Uhh as far as I can tell you can't :/ Its sort of a hard counter, you just have to minimize the damage while you wait for the tank and try a counter.


Ouch, that hurt that build has become so popular since it was posted on TL.

If the reactor isn't made and instead you make a few more marines, would you be able to stall for the tank better and take smaller losses?
Quadans
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany24 Posts
July 03 2011 22:31 GMT
#38
ur enemy doesnt even used hotkeys WTF

diamond serious?

User was warned for this post
He Kickd ma brotha in da ass
n.DieJokes
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3443 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-04 00:11:26
July 03 2011 23:05 GMT
#39
On July 04 2011 06:15 LordLuo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2011 05:38 n.DieJokes wrote:
On July 04 2011 05:02 LordLuo wrote:
How do you beat a 3 reaper rush with this build? I couldn't get enough marines out in time and I had to stall for the tank to come out, but by then the damage was dealt.

Uhh as far as I can tell you can't :/ Its sort of a hard counter, you just have to minimize the damage while you wait for the tank and try a counter.


Ouch, that hurt that build has become so popular since it was posted on TL.

If the reactor isn't made and instead you make a few more marines, would you be able to stall for the tank better and take smaller losses?

Haha yea :[ I'm gonna work on the two tank no reactor timing mentioned in the thread and see how that works out
On July 04 2011 07:31 Quadans wrote:
ur enemy doesnt even used hotkeys WTF

diamond serious?

Thank you for your input
MyLove + Your Love= Supa Love
djcyphers
Profile Joined May 2011
United States3 Posts
July 04 2011 02:40 GMT
#40
This is the first type of build I ever practiced. Have used a refinery before rax build variation that changes depending on what race I'm playing against.

TvT - I'll either swap rax / fact, research siege, and drop another rax w /tech + shields then time the push when that upgrade is almost done, or just go 2 x fact and port and drop blue flames.

TvZ - I always go with early tank / rine pressure. Sometims 2 x port banshes.

TvP - If they early expand I've found this strat to work for me. Been following this up with ghost + nuke to finish them off.
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 24m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 621
White-Ra 124
910 44
Dota 2
monkeys_forever556
NeuroSwarm162
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe95
PPMD72
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby8549
Liquid`Hasu1227
Trikslyr105
Other Games
summit1g8163
shahzam608
JimRising 415
C9.Mang0268
ArmadaUGS76
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick642
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream322
Other Games
BasetradeTV197
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 129
• Letter142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki15
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 24m
Afreeca Starleague
10h 24m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d
Kung Fu Cup
1d 11h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.