• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:54
CEST 11:54
KST 18:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8225 users

Lack of friends with SC2 interest?

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Rylaji
Profile Joined January 2011
Sweden580 Posts
March 16 2011 12:55 GMT
#1
Well, I watched the #269 of Day9 daily last night(night for me at least!) and he talked about the importance of getting together with ppl you know and have fun while playing. This got me thinking, I really dont have ANYONE I know that plays SC2 on a regular basis, and noone who shares my passion for it. I mean I watch every GSL and other tournies I can get my hands on. I watched all of IEM and TSL's etc etc, I refresh TL.net all the time to look for good streams etc.

But I have noone I know who is the same, this made me kinda "sad". I would love to do what Day9 said and have 4-5 friends and have a mini KOTH going some night, having the ones not playing atm spectating and having fun on Skype etc.

Is there any way to sort this out? I mean I cant force my friends to play but is there some place or site where I can find people? And I dont mean practice partners etc only, I am only Bronze so I dunno if that is even neccissary but I mean people to play and watch streams with and discuss other than just this forum, or the live stream chats .


Any ideas? And to get something else to talk about, how often do you play with your friends like KOTH or similiar? Discuss!
Official Fan of; Obama oGs.MC // God of War ST.JulyZerg // d.Naniwa // ST.Squirtle // SlayerS_Alicia // Emperor SlayerS_BoxeR // EG.HuK // White-Ra // MarineKing.Prime.WE // oGs.NaDa's Body // SlayerS.MMA // MvP.DongRaeGu
By.Fantasy
Profile Joined February 2011
Thailand123 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-16 13:00:29
March 16 2011 12:57 GMT
#2
Well first play SC2 with them. And start introducing progamers and anything about E-sport. I've hooked 2-4 people to play SC2... Its up to them if they will grow and love SC2 some people just hates losing and stop playing after losing too many times. Just encourage and if they don't get hooked then let them go you planted a seed in them that will grow in due time.
My english is not very good.
Klamity
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States994 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-16 12:59:10
March 16 2011 12:58 GMT
#3
Look for a team to practice with. It's harder if you're bronze, but if you aim to get better, you will find people in the same boat. There are plenty of threads around here.

It's hard to just force your friends to do this, so find people that already do.
Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.
Zorkmid
Profile Joined November 2008
4410 Posts
March 16 2011 12:59 GMT
#4
I don't think I've ever met a fellow SC2 fan in real life. I think we're all closeted.
pOtentiaLeaver
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia60 Posts
March 16 2011 12:59 GMT
#5
i only have 1 rl friend thats kinda semi into sc2 but now since uni started we don't even play once a week
Rylaji
Profile Joined January 2011
Sweden580 Posts
March 16 2011 13:00 GMT
#6
On March 16 2011 21:57 By.Fantasy wrote:
Well first play SC2 with them. And start introducing progamers and anything about proleague. I've hooked 2-4 people to play SC2... Its up to them if they will grow and love SC2 some people just hates losing



Thing is, most of my friends are gamers. We play alot of stuff together but they just dont aim to get better or have any interest in SC2. They all own it, but they are more like "We can play some 2v2 now and then". This is not what I want :<
Official Fan of; Obama oGs.MC // God of War ST.JulyZerg // d.Naniwa // ST.Squirtle // SlayerS_Alicia // Emperor SlayerS_BoxeR // EG.HuK // White-Ra // MarineKing.Prime.WE // oGs.NaDa's Body // SlayerS.MMA // MvP.DongRaeGu
Endorsed
Profile Joined May 2010
Netherlands1221 Posts
March 16 2011 13:01 GMT
#7
I got one off my friends in Starcraft 2. I'm trying really hard to have him improve. Few weeks ago I went to him, sat down and learned him Starcraft. His 10/20 bronze record is now 50/30 Hopefully I can bring him around my level soon so we can practice. But that will take quite some time i'm afraid :p
PlosionCornu
Profile Joined August 2010
Italy814 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-16 13:03:04
March 16 2011 13:02 GMT
#8
Same problem here.
A lot of the peeps I know seem totally uninterested in sc2, even moreso in the proscene.

I've reached a point where i just realized that I don't really need other people to enjoy content with, I'm fine by my own, so I side stepped the problem quite easily.
By.Fantasy
Profile Joined February 2011
Thailand123 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-16 13:03:38
March 16 2011 13:02 GMT
#9
On March 16 2011 22:00 Rylaji wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2011 21:57 By.Fantasy wrote:
Well first play SC2 with them. And start introducing progamers and anything about proleague. I've hooked 2-4 people to play SC2... Its up to them if they will grow and love SC2 some people just hates losing



Thing is, most of my friends are gamers. We play alot of stuff together but they just dont aim to get better or have any interest in SC2. They all own it, but they are more like "We can play some 2v2 now and then". This is not what I want :<


Then start introducing E-sports in anyway you can. They won't find it interesting at first but soon enough they will.(Sometimes they don't but that means they just really don't like RTS they probably prefer FPS or some other game you cant just expect people to like everything you like) Like me it took me 4 years before I got interested in BW Progaming.
My english is not very good.
bennyaus
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Australia1833 Posts
March 16 2011 13:05 GMT
#10
On March 16 2011 22:02 PlosionCornu wrote:
Same problem here.
A lot of the peeps I know seem totally uninterested in sc2, even moreso in the proscene.

I've reached a point where i just realized that I don't really need other people to enjoy content with, I'm fine by my own, so I side stepped the problem quite easily.


Yeah I actually have tried many times with my housemates and friends. They seem relatively interested and even more so when mOOnGLaDe was in GSL and IEM (We are Australian ), but they aren't exactly picking up the game or watching GSL, more like I try and force it down their throats when they come around. It is tough because many people either just don't play RTS and are therefore not interested, or consider the concept of competitive gaming to be pointless.
I play Random - HuK, DRG + Liquid fan
Rylaji
Profile Joined January 2011
Sweden580 Posts
March 16 2011 13:06 GMT
#11
On March 16 2011 22:02 By.Fantasy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2011 22:00 Rylaji wrote:
On March 16 2011 21:57 By.Fantasy wrote:
Well first play SC2 with them. And start introducing progamers and anything about proleague. I've hooked 2-4 people to play SC2... Its up to them if they will grow and love SC2 some people just hates losing



Thing is, most of my friends are gamers. We play alot of stuff together but they just dont aim to get better or have any interest in SC2. They all own it, but they are more like "We can play some 2v2 now and then". This is not what I want :<


Then start introducing E-sports in anyway you can. They won't find it interesting at first but soon enough they will.(Sometimes they don't but that means they just really don't like RTS they probably prefer FPS or some other game you cant just expect people to like everything you like) Like me it took me 4 years before I got interested in BW Progaming.



I think they just dont want to put that much time in it and they are not big RTS fans =/
Official Fan of; Obama oGs.MC // God of War ST.JulyZerg // d.Naniwa // ST.Squirtle // SlayerS_Alicia // Emperor SlayerS_BoxeR // EG.HuK // White-Ra // MarineKing.Prime.WE // oGs.NaDa's Body // SlayerS.MMA // MvP.DongRaeGu
Deadlyfish
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark1980 Posts
March 16 2011 13:07 GMT
#12
Yea i dont have any friends in real life that play sc2 either. I know of a few who even know what SC2 is, but they just play the campaign on easy and that's it.

Day9 makes it sound sort of easy, and i wish i had the same friends as him, or at least friends who played starcraft. But then again i'm fine with just having online friends.

I dont even think anyone in my city play sc2 at any level above silver
If wishes were horses we'd be eating steak right now.
Corvi
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Germany1406 Posts
March 16 2011 13:09 GMT
#13
i met some guy at my university, was so happy, finally a fellow starcraft nerd in real life ... until i found out he is a 4v4 player. >_<
BlACKTrA
Profile Joined July 2010
Germany187 Posts
March 16 2011 13:09 GMT
#14
start talking with some guys you hade played.
Many are looking for a team or a practice partner
Zorkmid
Profile Joined November 2008
4410 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-16 13:11:07
March 16 2011 13:10 GMT
#15
I don't think eSports will appeal to the non-hardcore gamer. Id never introduce it to one of my "normal" friends. I don't even know many of these hardcore gamers. Maybe one, but his hardcore game is WoW! UGH
PlosionCornu
Profile Joined August 2010
Italy814 Posts
March 16 2011 13:10 GMT
#16
On March 16 2011 22:07 Deadlyfish wrote:
Yea i dont have any friends in real life that play sc2 either. I know of a few who even know what SC2 is, but they just play the campaign on easy and that's it.

Day9 makes it sound sort of easy, and i wish i had the same friends as him, or at least friends who played starcraft. But then again i'm fine with just having online friends.

I dont even think anyone in my city play sc2 at any level above silver


You are so lucky.

I don't even know if anyone in mine knows what sc2 is.

Soccer games and cod-like fps are soo mainstream it hurts here .
Rylaji
Profile Joined January 2011
Sweden580 Posts
March 16 2011 13:15 GMT
#17
Dunno asking ppl on ladder seems wierd? Or? Sort of like going to a bar and as all the girls if they wanna dance, someone is bound to say yes at some point I guess lol
Official Fan of; Obama oGs.MC // God of War ST.JulyZerg // d.Naniwa // ST.Squirtle // SlayerS_Alicia // Emperor SlayerS_BoxeR // EG.HuK // White-Ra // MarineKing.Prime.WE // oGs.NaDa's Body // SlayerS.MMA // MvP.DongRaeGu
eviltomahawk
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States11135 Posts
March 16 2011 13:15 GMT
#18
Keep trying.

One of my proudest achievements is getting a single member of my circle of friends to try out SC, and before I knew it, ALL of my circle of friends were playing SC together in random LAN parties all through the summer. This even included *gasp* FEMALES.

Since SC2 is a bit expensive, it might be worth it to introduce BW to SC virgins, especially since you can download a free multiplayer version of BW off the iCCup website. That's how I got all my friends into SC in the first place, and many of them ended up purchasing SC2 as a result, since most of them found the easier interface to be highly attractive.

You'll need to get some physical LAN parties up and running for the maximum effect. It's one thing to tell friends about pro games and another thing to show them in person.
ㅇㅅㅌㅅ
Rylaji
Profile Joined January 2011
Sweden580 Posts
March 16 2011 13:20 GMT
#19
Well like I said, the problem isnt that they dont know what SC2 is or that it exist, they just dont wanna spend time playing nor following the scene. Like I said in the OP I want people to watch replays with, people to watch tournaments with etc. Not only play.
Official Fan of; Obama oGs.MC // God of War ST.JulyZerg // d.Naniwa // ST.Squirtle // SlayerS_Alicia // Emperor SlayerS_BoxeR // EG.HuK // White-Ra // MarineKing.Prime.WE // oGs.NaDa's Body // SlayerS.MMA // MvP.DongRaeGu
Deadlyfish
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark1980 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-16 13:22:01
March 16 2011 13:20 GMT
#20
On March 16 2011 22:10 PlosionCornu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2011 22:07 Deadlyfish wrote:
Yea i dont have any friends in real life that play sc2 either. I know of a few who even know what SC2 is, but they just play the campaign on easy and that's it.

Day9 makes it sound sort of easy, and i wish i had the same friends as him, or at least friends who played starcraft. But then again i'm fine with just having online friends.

I dont even think anyone in my city play sc2 at any level above silver


You are so lucky.

I don't even know if anyone in mine knows what sc2 is.

Soccer games and cod-like fps are soo mainstream it hurts here .


For like 7months of the year i live in Panama, and you feel like a sort of king there. While everyone is discussing their 0,5 K/D ratio in CoD, i just watch over them knowing how much better Starcraft 2 is, and how i'm so much better than them, which is at least very nice

So i guess it isnt all bad :D


If wishes were horses we'd be eating steak right now.
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 6m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10853
firebathero 2253
Bisu 615
Hyuk 418
BeSt 181
Larva 116
EffOrt 110
Leta 107
Sexy 101
Horang2 98
[ Show more ]
Soma 91
Dewaltoss 84
Killer 75
Light 70
ZerO 66
ToSsGirL 49
Sharp 44
soO 37
Yoon 36
Rush 28
Pusan 28
Aegong 26
Shinee 24
Sacsri 22
Bale 20
NaDa 19
sorry 15
Hm[arnc] 14
JulyZerg 10
Terrorterran 5
Dota 2
Fuzer 158
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss1745
byalli852
kRYSTAL_37
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1012
crisheroes587
Other Games
gofns36333
singsing1722
olofmeister1182
ceh9639
Mew2King101
ArmadaUGS47
ZerO(Twitch)16
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream165
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2377
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
3h 6m
OSC
12h 6m
CranKy Ducklings
1d
Online Event
1d 1h
FEL
1d 6h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 7h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 9h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.