• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:28
CEST 15:28
KST 22:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9213 users

[D] PvP FE?

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-15 00:45:18
August 14 2010 14:49 GMT
#1
Note: I'm at ~700 diamond at the moment.

So I've been trying to find a way to expand in PvP and losing....pretty much every PvP I play for a while now. (Really dragging down my rating....) The problem I've had is that if you expand, you need to spend more on defense early, so your opponent beats you to ranged collosi and you lose. Yesterday, however, I tried out an expansion immediately after my gateway, and before assimilator, cybercore or forge. The idea was that I'd defend rushes with zealots and a couple cannons, and then I'd pump out as many stalkers as possible off of my two bases and try to squeeze in blink when I could. In theory, the expo would be up so early that my income advantage would allow me to fight more efficient robo compositions with pure stalkers. Anyway, I tried it out expecting it to fail miserably as all my other FE ideas have. My opponent (favored in the MU, no less) scouted my FE and predictably rushed for ranged collosi. To my surprise, I won easily. Here's the replay.

[image loading]

I definitely haven't seen anyone else use this expansion timing, but I think it just might have a shot with some tweaking to be stable. Would a decent Protoss player like to play around with the build sometime to work out if it can be defended?

From that one game, I'm not too worried about collosus rushes, but I am concerned about how it would hold up against 4-gate stalker, blink stalkers, immortal timing pushes, and void ray rushes.
Awesomestarcraft2
Profile Joined August 2010
5 Posts
August 14 2010 14:57 GMT
#2
umm... most pvp are cheeese oriented, 4 gate, or void rush, and all of these i think would be able to destroy this fe because when you are droning and getting down your cybe core, they can be massing or getting voids. if you get some stalkers out then you will be ok from void, but not a four gate. I think that, if done correctly, this will work against most late game protoss, but if they are aggressive, you will loose.

note: i am at 750ish diamond
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
August 14 2010 15:03 GMT
#3
Maybe so, but when I watched the replay, I believe I was able to finish my 2 cannons and get several zealots to defend before he finished warpgate research. I think if done correctly, it would at least be close against a 4-gate. If you could identify a 4-gate and rule out a void ray or counter-expand, you could always throw down some extra cannons as well.
NB
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Netherlands12045 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-14 15:05:50
August 14 2010 15:04 GMT
#4
hey, im interested in that replay. Im mid level P and i love to play around with BO.

the idea of FE is mostly not viable since the amounts of minerals you need for probes + gates + pylons + assimilators + cannon just gona delay your army production like forever. cosidering what if he had gone 1 gate star, you should have die right from the beginning

1 cannon is 150, extra cannon is almost half a nexus when u come to think of it. i normally go immortal counter cannon back when i got cannon rush in placement but i need the replay to say more.
Im daed. Follow me @TL_NB
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-14 15:09:16
August 14 2010 15:07 GMT
#5
Also, this FE would obviously be scouting-dependent. You'd pylon scout, and you wouldn't go for the FE against a 10-gate timing or a 2-gateway opening.
SCvanTango
Profile Joined August 2010
Switzerland64 Posts
August 14 2010 16:27 GMT
#6
btw courious, you say, you get the Nexus before the Forge, assimilator or cyber. do you still constantly pump probes and pylons when needed, or do you cut workerproduction for some short time at a certain point?, also how many zealots do you get before putting down the nexus, and/or how many zeals, before getting the forge/cannons?

Ok, the last question is probably highly dependent on what your opp is doing...but I'm still courious about when and how you get that nexus down exactly.

Also do you go 12/13 gate, when you do this?
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
August 14 2010 16:42 GMT
#7
I hate to be a naysayer but I don't think this is gonna work -.-

cannons just aren't good enough in pvp i think
ChickenLips
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
2912 Posts
August 14 2010 16:50 GMT
#8
FE in PvP is super non-viable.
❤Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ✿
BigOleDonkey
Profile Joined April 2010
United States43 Posts
August 14 2010 16:52 GMT
#9
The main issue I have with this is you won't have any way to kill their initial probe for a very long time, so they can run their probe around in your base all day and do the 4 warpgate build pylons in your base build, cannons protecting your ramp/nat will not help you there, and I suspect the rush will come before any advantage kicks in from your expo and you will die.

But keep at it and do post reps, the entire reason I'm not playing protoss is because pvp is so stupid atm, a viable FE build would shake things up a lot.
JiSu
Profile Joined August 2010
Korea (South)140 Posts
August 14 2010 17:24 GMT
#10
Yea, cannon just won't do against PvP due to warp prism. I played against Toss yesterday who thought cannon in the front would hold and try to defend with zealots but I made fast robo and got warp prism and loaded my 3 stalkers and 1 zealot and dropped in his base. And then just warped in stalkers with 4 warpgates done. That's when he got his warp gate done too but too much for him to handle and he wasted minerals on those cannons in the front of his natural. If you have enough forces to break him before his natural kicks in then you'll lose
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
August 14 2010 21:34 GMT
#11
Ok, so unsurprisingly, if you post on TL about an idea that runs contrary to popular opinion, you get a bunch of people telling you it can't work. I've thought about the pylon-in-base problem, but it's really only a threat if our opponent 10-gates, and even then, I find it very easy to beat. I've crushed the Korean 4-gate with as little as 2 gates, and I even forgot warpgate research. You just constantly produce zealots. He tries to warp in 4 when you already have 5.... I don't think a warp prism would hit before you have stalkers, so again, I see that as something that could be handled.

NB, if you want to try to work out a stable BO sometime, PM me with your name.id and I'll add you.
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
August 14 2010 21:42 GMT
#12
On August 15 2010 06:34 kcdc wrote:
Ok, so unsurprisingly, if you post on TL about an idea that runs contrary to popular opinion, you get a bunch of people telling you it can't work.
Yup. That's because the burden of proof is on YOU, not us. You haven't provided a single replay to validate your claims and so is mere conjecture. Given how stupid PvP is atm, I would be very surprised to see a FE being viable.
I've thought about the pylon-in-base problem, but it's really only a threat if our opponent 10-gates, and even then, I find it very easy to beat. I've crushed the Korean 4-gate with as little as 2 gates, and I even forgot warpgate research. You just constantly produce zealots. He tries to warp in 4 when you already have 5.... I don't think a warp prism would hit before you have stalkers, so again, I see that as something that could be handled.

NB, if you want to try to work out a stable BO sometime, PM me with your name.id and I'll add you.
Sounds like BS to me. If someone Korean warpgating you there is no possible way to defend using 2gates after a FE. Your opponent must have been terrible for that to work.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
JrK
Profile Joined June 2010
United States283 Posts
August 14 2010 22:06 GMT
#13
I'd like to see some replays, like Plexa said. I'm open to anything at this point, but you can't get mad without being able to show anything.
JrKjrKJrk
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-14 23:00:09
August 14 2010 22:06 GMT
#14
@Plexa

I haven't said it works against everything. I'll post the one replay I have showing it probably works against a collosus rush. Just saying, "it won't work," doesn't help much in terms of figuring out how to make it work. I just had a long argument about FE in PvT where basically everyone said, "It won't work" over and over and over. When people tried their supposed counters against my FE, however, it held perfectly fine and granted me a big advantage. I think this PvP FE is a long way from being worked out at this point--I've tried it exactly once--but I have a good bit of experience trying relatively early expansions in PvP and this is by far the most promising one I've come up with, so I thought I'd ask if anyone would like to help me test it out and try to optimize it against various responses. If nothing else, the build basically begs people to collosus rush it thinking they'll outrange the cannons, which will turn into easy wins on ladder until people figure out the proper response.

There's a reason I didn't call this a guide thread. I'm asking for (1) ideas for ideas about ways to bust the FE, (2) ideas for how the FE might be tweaked to reduce those threats, and (3) a good player to help test those ideas.

As for beating a Korean 4-gate with 2 gates, it definitely happened. (Tho it was 2 gates before cyber and I didn't FE. The FE was a different game entirely. You certainly can't FE against a Korean 4-gate, but it's easy to scout a 10-gate....You know he's 10-gating before you even reach is base if your scouting probe gets more than halfway across the map before running into his scouting probe) I can't say for certain that my opponent was good, but I was at ~700 diamond and I believe he was favored. He'd said he'd just lost to TTone Korean 4-gating him, so he must have been, you know, good enough to get matched against TTone. Anyway, I haven't watched that replay, so I don't know if it was an optimal BO, but I just don't find the Korean 4-gate scary at all. I cut probes, chronoboost zealots and a single stalker off of my gateways, don't stress warpgate research and kill the zealots as they warp in. Then my opponent GG's....

Also, Plexa, would you mind doing some testing w/ me? I think we've played each other before and I remember you being pretty decent.
PureReborn
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada106 Posts
August 14 2010 22:21 GMT
#15
if You're going Zealot --> Stalker + Canon Defense then wouldnt 3/4 immortals completely own your composition? And that can be made way faster than ranged Collsoi without giving you much time to reap the rewards from your expansion.
dj.ricecakes
Profile Joined July 2010
United States252 Posts
August 14 2010 22:22 GMT
#16
4gate warp rush or 2gate proxy seems like the best option sadly

i cant wait to see korean pro pvp micro battles lasting only 6 minutes are gonna be intense
TECH MOTHER FUCKERS TECH!
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
August 14 2010 22:28 GMT
#17
On August 15 2010 07:21 PureReborn wrote:
if You're going Zealot --> Stalker + Canon Defense then wouldnt 3/4 immortals completely own your composition? And that can be made way faster than ranged Collsoi without giving you much time to reap the rewards from your expansion.


I don't know. I'd be more concerned about a 1/2 immortal timing than a 3/4 immortal timing tho. 3/4 would hit when I'd already have 5-6 warpgates, so I could always just defensively warp in a round of zealots to counter the immortals. I'd like to try both tho.
Floophead_III
Profile Joined September 2009
United States1832 Posts
August 14 2010 22:32 GMT
#18
I've been working on a PvP stargate expo build with cannon sentry voidray as your defensive army. I haven't played it enough and I'm pretty mediocre with protoss right now, but the big boon to the strategy is being able to charge rays on your own buildings. Charged voidrays are imbalanced, and since you always can be charged if you're defending, beating stalkers shouldn't actually be that hard. The cannons/sentries buy time.

The transition is to *insert drumroll* mass voidray with air ups and void speed. COMPLETELY IMBALANCED if you are on the same economy.

So yes, the question is surviving/handling a korean 4 warpgate more than anything. If he goes colossi to break you cannon line, you win because voidrays will decimate him. It's SO funny when you get 6 charged speedvoids with +2 weapons =P
Half man, half bear, half pig.
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
August 14 2010 22:46 GMT
#19
On August 15 2010 07:32 Floophead_III wrote:
I've been working on a PvP stargate expo build with cannon sentry voidray as your defensive army. I haven't played it enough and I'm pretty mediocre with protoss right now, but the big boon to the strategy is being able to charge rays on your own buildings. Charged voidrays are imbalanced, and since you always can be charged if you're defending, beating stalkers shouldn't actually be that hard. The cannons/sentries buy time.

The transition is to *insert drumroll* mass voidray with air ups and void speed. COMPLETELY IMBALANCED if you are on the same economy.

So yes, the question is surviving/handling a korean 4 warpgate more than anything. If he goes colossi to break you cannon line, you win because voidrays will decimate him. It's SO funny when you get 6 charged speedvoids with +2 weapons =P


Voids to defend an expo are a pretty decent idea since they handle the collosi and immortals which are the obvious threats to cannons. Blink stalkers are the not-so-obvious threat to static cannons, however, and might pose more of a problem.
xDaunt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States17988 Posts
August 15 2010 00:34 GMT
#20
On August 15 2010 02:24 JiSu wrote:
Yea, cannon just won't do against PvP due to warp prism. I played against Toss yesterday who thought cannon in the front would hold and try to defend with zealots but I made fast robo and got warp prism and loaded my 3 stalkers and 1 zealot and dropped in his base. And then just warped in stalkers with 4 warpgates done. That's when he got his warp gate done too but too much for him to handle and he wasted minerals on those cannons in the front of his natural. If you have enough forces to break him before his natural kicks in then you'll lose


I second this. Any protoss that builds cannons at his ramp or at his expo will auto-lose to any robo build because of the warp prism.
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 549
ComeBackTV 403
SteadfastSC293
TaKeTV 196
Rex101
EnkiAlexander 32
IndyStarCraft 1
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 293
ProTech139
Rex 101
IndyStarCraft 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 46479
Bisu 2046
Horang2 1438
EffOrt 885
Shuttle 770
Hyuk 625
BeSt 544
Soma 450
Mini 437
Larva 343
[ Show more ]
Light 336
Rush 231
ZerO 182
Mong 89
Leta 77
Snow 67
Pusan 62
Sea.KH 59
ToSsGirL 55
Sexy 54
Mind 42
Aegong 35
JYJ 32
Yoon 28
Bale 20
sorry 19
Terrorterran 16
Noble 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Icarus 8
Rock 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5614
Counter-Strike
Fnx 779
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1427
Khaldor1192
Lowko459
Other Games
gofns41159
singsing2034
olofmeister1311
hiko459
B2W.Neo447
Beastyqt371
XaKoH 279
Livibee201
Liquid`VortiX105
Mew2King77
ArmadaUGS71
djWHEAT66
Hui .38
ZerO(Twitch)16
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV185
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream131
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 11
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 24
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis1688
Upcoming Events
OSC
8h 32m
CranKy Ducklings
20h 32m
Online Event
21h 32m
FEL
1d 2h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 3h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 5h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 20h
INu's Battles
1d 22h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.